main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I like all 3 point K but I do think there will be a way to still render a Jedi as awesome, they do, still, after all, have lightsabres.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    And telekinesis

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, have you read Sanderson's Mistborn MS? A SW riff on the push-pull system he uses there could be interesting.

4. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Is it anything like Avatar ? Which all powers are essentially telekinesis.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Couldn't say as I haven't looked at it. The idea in Mistborn is you push or pull against objects relative to your own mass, so you could use metal spikes and other spires to latch onto to propel yourself at great speed, think Spider-man web-slinging.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  6. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Yes, true. Good point! Luckily, lightsabers rule :cool:

masterskywalker - And telekinesis' pretty awesome too [face_peace]

7. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    The best power IMO :D

kataja likes this.
  8. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i see where your coming from kinda. Cap is all soldier. He does not know how to relax and have fun like Luke.

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    The comics would argue with you. Don't get me wrong he's straight laced but he's no Cyclops. And he will disobey orders when the need comes to.

kataja, JediMatteus and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Like Cyclops though, Luke just can't stay away from redheads! ;)

Zer0, kataja, JediMatteus and 2 others like this.
  11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Eh Sharon Carter is more like Mara than Jean will ever be. :p

kataja and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I agree. See The Avengers when Cap breaks into the Helicarrier's armory to see if Stark and Banner were right about SHIELD secretly making weapons. I doubt Cyke would've done that. On the other hand, while Luke is fairly straight-laced, he'd probably do the same thing as Cap under the same circumstances.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Cyclops and Luke have form with blondes too! ;)

In his current incarnation, I wouldn't be so sure about that! The current Cyclops would take them out. This is the guy who blasted Cap off his beach after all!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  14. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Life's been hectic. Hope to get caught up over the weekend.

For now, I'll just comment about Kataja's post:

Kataja:
    I agree! I've always found good guys far more interesting than bad guys, and have always wondered why, for example, some folks are such huge Boba Fett and even Darth Vader fans.

Yes, MasterSkywalker86 said something like this a long while ago, I think. MS, didn't you list some things that were the same about Luke and Captain America on this thread a long time ago? I know that you really like both characters. Or am I confusing Captain America with Superman for you, MS?

I think you mean "kick butt", right? ;) I agree with you though. As much as I'm really hoping to see some amazing feats from Jedi Grand Master Luke Skywalker, I really hope even more that Luke will be portrayed as totally in the Light, with no darkness or greyness about him. I want him to be the shining beacon of moral integrity; the example for all other Jedi to follow.

kataja likes this.
  15. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Revanfan1:
    Yes, I agree. Luke allowed himself to be captured because he wanted to save his father. But even when it seemed as though his father wasn't going to be "seduced" to the Lightside, I believe Luke was confident that his friends would take out the Deathstar anyway, and thus, destroy the Emperor. All Luke had to do was be a distraction for Palpatine and Vader until the Rebels could accomplish that task.

Again, I agree. I also think that this choice would have been permanent. That's why I don't think Luke would ever fall after going through that trial. It's why I truly don't believe that Luke would even have pretended to serve the Emperor in DE or that he would ever have killed Lumiya for revenge.

Jedi Ben:
    Yes, I believe he did. And I believe it was what Luke was hoping would happen in the event he couldn't reach his father and get his father to join him. At least if he died, Luke knew the Emperor would die with him, as he so boldly told Palpatine.

Skaddix :
    Yep! That's my take too!

Chessalvakia:
    I thought that was terrible! I also thought that Padme was wrong to enable him by comforting him after he had killed innocent women and children of that Tusken tribe. For me, Anakin was pretty much a villain already after he did that awful thing. But definitely the point of no return from villainhood came when Anakin killed those Jedi children who looked to him with hope as their savior during the frightening attack on the Temple, only to have him be the instrument of their deaths. I couldn't stand him anymore after that.

DarthJenari:
    I must say though that I'm still annoyed that Travis did that to Luke. There's no way that Luke, especially at that point in his life and career, would or should have killed Lumiya for revenge. No author should make a hero have the same terrible reaction to a situation that a terrible villain has. Luke should have been written as taking the high road and should NOT have killed Lumiya to avenge Mara's death. It really bothers me, as I believe this is absolutely the worst thing that Luke has ever done in his life in the films, books, and comics. And to have Luke do this terrible thing as a Jedi Grandmaster who is supposed to be a shining example for an entire Jedi Order, and who is supposed to have decades of experience in calming techniques; not to mention, decades of living and preaching Jedi rules and philosophy, it absolutely made NO SENSE at all. It was extremely disappointing to read Sacrifice for many reasons.

newdawn12:
    I think he would have been a happier person, and we would have seen more of his good sense of humor. The galaxy would have been more stable and more peaceful, and Luke could have dedicated himself to growing the Jedi Order and to enjoying his family. I think Luke would have been a forever Light Jedi Grandmaster, with no shades of grey, and I don't think we would have seen any of that coldness and "darkness" and cynicism that we got with the Denning/Traviss Luke. I think we would have gotten many adventure stories about Luke and his flourishing Jedi knights, and he would have been respected and loved by the people of the galaxy and his fellow Jedi, who would have considered him a true hero and an example of moral integrity.

My two biggest fears are that Movie Luke will have no family and will not have started to train Jedi yet. That's my Episode VII nightmare. :(

My hope is that Luke WILL have at least one child of his own, and that he will have at least a small Jedi Order. After that, I'd like to see a Luke who is much like what I said above that Luke would have been like if there had been no NJO to Crucible. I would like to see a Luke with a strong moral compass who is completely in the Light and a great example for all of the Jedi and the people of the galaxy. I'd like to see a Luke who is respected by the people and the Jedi, and a Luke who is smart, wise, creative, and compassionate. I'd like to see him with a great sense of humor, and I'd like to see him positive and happy.

Zer0 likes this.
  16. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    A-men to that!

17. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    I've said this elsewhere, but I think the problem with that sequence (and most of AOTC, for that matter) is that Lucas hadn't decided why Anakin had fallen to the Dark Side yet. That's why they stuffed his mom into the fridge, had him spout dictatorial political sentiment to Padme, and gave him a terrible relationship with Obi-Wan. He was trying to see what would be worth running with. Honestly, I wouldn't have dared to even do Phantom Menace without an end in mind if I were in charge, so this just seems like reprehensible plotting. And of course the bad blood with Obi-Wan poisoned their portrayal as old friends, causing even more collateral damage.

I agree that it was OOC for Luke, although given what he knew at the time, Lumiya wasn't going to stop causing problems for him. After all, she had just returned after decades under the radar seemingly just to ruin his life, and I understand (been awhile since I read the book) that Lumiya went out of her way to come across as just spiteful, so for revenge's sake, she seemed to have gone to really extreme lengths. Given that, plus the fact that she'd been causing trouble pretty much under Luke's nose (Toryaz Station), and it does seem impractical to expect she could be dealt with any other way. So there's a logic to it. Cold, bitter Karen Traviss logic.

I doubt there'd only be Skywalkers for Jedi in the ST. Why have a mere handful of lightsabers on screen when you can have hundreds? As for Luke's character, I think the real problem may be less how moral he is (although it's possible they screw that up) and more that he lacks distinct personality altogether. I've said this before, but I'm not pumped for J.J. Abram's directing, and never less so than after reading what he'd said about his Star Trek movies, and how he wanted to dispense with their philosophizing. Philosophy is integral to that franchise, though, and I feel that if that same spirit were brought to Star Wars a lot of the mysticism will be lost as well. That was bad enough in the Prequels, and I fear that the secularization of the Jedi could get even worse. Being a Jedi should mean something, and I'd rather there be a handful of Jedi who capture the same spirit Obi-Wan and Yoda did in the OT than an army of Warrior-Monks without the monk.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "Pass on what you have learned. Someday. When you get around to it. No rush. Take your time. Whenever."

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  19. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Child of Winds Well you know I agree. For all the problems I have with the Hand of Thrawn Duology, the one thing Zahn got absolutely right was how Luke would react if someone he loved like Mara, or Leia, or Han, finally died. When Mara first disappeared from the Force he instantly assumed she'd been killed, as the feeling of her vanishing was not unlike that caused by death. He immediately thought of getting revenge, of unleashing the power he keeps such a tight hold on, of using the Force to fling aside his enemies like dolls; but he then, showing the maturity he's gone through in the decades since his final duel with his father, gets a hold of himself, and realizes that that's not the proper way; that he once more has to look his darkness in the face and deny it, which gives way to him of course realizing that it's not the end and that he can keep going.

That's how I expect Luke Skywalker to be reacting after 40+ years of experience.

Revanfan1, Iron_lord and ChildOfWinds like this.
  20. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    And after Mara's death, he takes revenge on Lumiya.

21. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Because bad guys are cool unlike boyscouts.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Still one of my favourite scenes in the book:

Without warning, right in the middle of a step, Mara vanished. Mara? Luke thought desperately toward her, stretching out to the Force. Mara!
    But there was no response. Somehow, they must have gotten past her danger sense and combat skills and had launched a sudden and overwhelming attack.
    And she was unconscious. Or dead.
    "No," he whispered aloud, his pulse pounding in his ears. Once again, a person he'd cared for . . .
    "No!" he bit out between clenched teeth, the agony in his heart swirling into something dark and deadly as the pain turned into growing fury. Deal out casual death, would they? If death was what they wanted, he would show them just what death looked like. In his mind's eye he saw himself striding down the spiral slideway, throwing the aliens aside like sand dolls, their bodies slamming against the unyielding black stone and dropping crumpled to the floor. His lightsaber would flash through their ranks, cutting through weapons and bodies and leaving more death in its wake
    His lightsaber.
    He looked down at the lightsaber in his hand. Not the weapon he himself had made in the oppressive heat ofthe Tatooine desert, but the one his father had made so many years before. The weapon he had given to Mara . . .
    He took a deep breath, letting go of the rage and hatred, a cold shiver running through him as he realized the magnitude of what he had almost done. Once again, he had some to the very brink of giving in to the dark side. Had nearly surrendered to hatred and the lust for revenge, and the overwhelming desire to use his own power for selfish ends.
    If you honor what they fight for . . . Master Yoda's words echoed hauntingly through his mind. "All right," he murmured aloud. No, he would not avenge whatever had happened to Mara, at least not for vengeance's sake. But he would seek out the truth of her fate.
    With an effort, he cleared the last lingering emotion from his thoughts, Mara's picture of songbirds singing inside an ore-crushing facility flickering through his mind as he did so. Stretching out with the Force, he focused his mental probe toward the spot where Mara's presence had vanished. Unless they had already taken it away, he should at least be able to sense her body . . .
    But there was nothing. Not Mara, not the humans or aliens she had supposedly been moving toward when she disappeared.
    In fact, within a certain area, he could detect nothing at all. Almost as if something was blocking his access to the Force . . .
    Abruptly, his breath went out of him in a rush, relief and chagrin flooding into him in equal quantities. Of coursethe aliens had moved ysalamiri into the space between him and Mara. Even given the four-floor distance between them, he should have realized what was happening. Once again, it seemed, he was having to relearn Yoda's warning against acting while in the grip of strong emotion.
    But there was no time for self-recrimination. Within the ysalamiri effect, Mara's fledgling Jedi powers were useless, and it was up to him to get her out.

23. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Does anyone know what happened to MS? MasterSkywalker86 seems to have disappeared. :(

24. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Good questions. He appears to have not been online since he changed his name a week or so ago.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Wasn't it only 15 years?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.