main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Just checked, 19 years after Yavin, so yeah about 15 after ROTJ. Edit:

"showing the maturity he's gone through in the nearly 2 decades since his final duel with his father."

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, it's as if he got teleported to Mega-City One to sort out the books!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Jedi Ben :

Well, I guess that people with his job can be quite busy in the couple of weeks before income taxes need to be filed.... I just hope he's okay, because he's unusually silent.

The Compeer:
    I don't mind that Luke killed her. She was a danger to the galaxy and she was a Sith. She had caused much death and destruction. However, I minded the WAY that Luke killed her. He should have just let her fall down the cliff instead of saving her from the fall, only to cut off her head when she was weaponless, and he should have killed her because she was a danger to the galaxy and NOT to get personal revenge for his wife's death.

Oh, I don't expect or want there to be only Skywalker Jedi. I just want one or more of Luke's kids to be included in the Jedi Order. I want Luke to have at least one child. I also don't expect that Luke will have had enough time to train hundreds of Jedi, but I hope there will be at least a few dozen to 100.
    Well, if Mark Hamill is playing the role of Luke again, I really don't expect that to be a problem. I think he gave Luke a great personality, and I don't see why he wouldn't continue to do this.

Arawn_Fenn:
    ;) I don't think that's what Yoda had in mind. I know that's certainly not what *I* was expecting. I rather thought that Luke would start to train Leia as soon as possible after RotJ and then that he would try to find other Force-sensitives to train, likely in a group, as he did in the Jedi Academy trilogy.

DarthJenari:

I completely agree, DJ! That *is* the way Luke would have reacted after all those years of experience. I'm still annoyed that Traviss wrote Luke as a vengeance killer. You're right that Timothy Zahn handled that very, very well. That was one of my favorite scenes in VotF too.

newdawn12 :
    That's exactly what I have a problem with, N12. I think the author portrayed Luke very poorly and just plain WRONG in that instance. As DJ said, Luke handled a situation in which he thought Mara had died very well way back in VotF. Why would he become a vengeance killer many, many years later?
    Luke would and should have handled the loss as well as he did as a much younger and more inexperienced Jedi.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    MS changed his name. :)

5. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Yes, but he hasn't posted under that new name since April 1st. That's very unusual for MS.

6. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Yeah, I would think in terms of training Luke would start giving Leia some pointers, she is potentially extremely powerful and she is trustworthy so u dont have to worry too much about giving it to someone who might flip and go dark. Honestly, without knowing the structure of the order its hard to predict how many jedi Luke could pump out in a NJO, obviously I think training is going to go a lot quicker then in the OJO. Although it does raise the question of Order 66 Survivors, if there are some who are at least Jedi Knight level left well then Luke could easily hit hundred mark in a couple of decades. If he is going it alone then I see that being rather more difficult while maintaining quality.

ChildOfWinds and Iron_lord like this.
  7. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Skaddix:
    Well, I've always thought that Leia is more like her father personality-wise, and Luke is more like Padme, so there's always the potential. But, yes, I agree. Luke shouldn't have too much to worry about in training Leia, and Yoda did tell him to "Pass on what you have learned". I definitely hope that we'll find that Luke has, indeed, started a new Jedi Order when Episode VII starts.

Of necessity, I think it will be quicker too. I also think that Luke will likely need to teach a group of students all at once. I don't think he can afford to teach one-on-one, at least not for any length of time. He simply wouldn't be able to grow the Order fast enough that way. Of course, once Luke teaches a few Jedi, those Jedi can go on to help train others. So there might be a decent-sized Jedi Order. I just don't think there could be more than a hundred, and I think it's likely there might be less, perhaps half that number or so.

I agree about that. I'm hoping that there weren't any survivors. Yoda told Luke that after he was gone, "... the last of the Jedi will you be..." I want that to be a true statement.

8. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    U see I am not too worried about the order not being created and that is mostly because a critical selling point of Star Wars is lightsaber battles and I think stuff like the Old Republic and cartoons have shown pretty comprehensively that fans are down for large scale lightsaber fights. I mean lets face it the arena was certainly one of the selling points in the PT. Fights were pretty much the best parts u know once u got past gratuitous twirling and flipping. There are ways to show force users have heightened physical abilities without stupid acrobatics.

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

yeah there has to be something, but after 30 years he better have more to show for it then a rag tag bunch of half trained jedi.

10. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Skaddix :
    Well, they may be planning "large scale lightsaber fights" for Episodes VIII and IX, and just plan to have Luke and Leia fight some darksiders in VII.

To tell you the truth though, I found the lightsaber fights between Vader and Obi-wan and between Luke and Vader far more engrossing and riveting than the massive fight in the PT with all those Jedi which didn't have much of an emotional impact on me. It just seemed too staged or something.

I agree.

JediMatteus:
    I hope that whatever the number, Luke has trained his Jedi well and that they are thoroughly in the Light, as he is!

11. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    ChildOfWinds, Revanfan1 and kataja like this.
  12. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    LOL I was just going to post that ;-P
    Finally some good news!!!

It is! I wrote him a PM last week about Cap, but he never answered - that's unusual too.
    Let's hope it's just some technical problems!!!!

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  13. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    newdawn12:
    Thanks, N12! At least it looks like this book is still going forward and hasn't been cancelled. I wish it were coming out sooner though. I hope it has a great characterization of Luke!

kataja:
    Yes, I really hope that's all it is. Or, that he's really busy with work. Still, if that were the case, you would think MS would just send a quick message to let us know that he wouldn't be online for a while. I hope he's okay.

kataja and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    kataja and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    CoW: Given the time of year and he's got things to deal with, I think MS is likely occupied with RL.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Perhaps, but this amount of total silence is pretty rare for him.

17. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    JediBen:

That's a GREAT-LOOKING cover! Very nice image of Luke! The story also sounds like it might be good. Here's hoping! Thanks for letting us know!

So it's 200 pounds in England, huh? ;)

kataja likes this.
  18. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Not a bad cover, but Luke looks a bit feminine here

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well of course we use Sterling for Monopoly, we don't want to be awash in dollars! ;)

Uh, what? :confused:

20. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, I like the last Rebel Heist cover a good deal too. Heist is also an OT/Big Three focus story, but maybe partially because its short (only four issues) or other factors, but so far, aside from Legacy, Heist is the last thing from Dark Horse I'm really looking forward. Like the most recent Star Wood cover is nice too, but especially for that series, it looks really boring and generic by issue 19, whereas Heist only has four issues, but Heist also bothered to give Chewbacca a cover. We all love Luke, but they shouldn't just put him on every single cover, as it then seems like there's a lack of a diverse cast of characters (which actually was one of FotJ's many problems, since Luke was literally on a third of FotJ covers).

A nice simple cover, with a lightsaber and important elements of the OT, so I like it. Here's hoping Heist turns out better than Star Wood did.

Hm, glad to hear some news about the Luke book, although honestly the last Han book was already surprisingly good, so if the pre-sequel EU had to end on a book, the Among Thieves one wasn't a bad one to end with, so hopefully the Luke one won't leave a bad taste.

Retro-active continuity is always fun/infuriating to try and connect. Both Luke and Leia show traits of both parents, but then both Padme and Anakin had occasionally similar personalities (Padme was the calmer, smarter one but she had her moments of impulse too).

Not sure how I feel about an army of Jedi- just hope that we don't get stuck with yet another army of Sith. 10 years ago, seeing that many red lightsabers at once was a shock. Now its boring, if we get another 100 red lightsabers against 10 green/blue lightsabers (since unless you have major star power, no color other than green, blue and red exists), I might fall asleep. The TOR cinematic trailers at least showed what kind of epic Star Wars fights are possible, though the Yoda vs. Palpatine fight was probably the best fight of the movies, in terms of Force users. Though TCW, bad storytelling and tendency to run over canon multiple times aside, did have some really good lightsaber fights too. The sequel trilogy will be live action of course, but I figure special effects aren't that far behind pure CG.

Though realistically I'm just expecting another copy of the prequel era Jedi, unfortunately.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  21. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Nobody145 :
    Hi, N! Nice to see you back again!

I don't think it would be hard to improve on Star Wood! That was a MAJOR disappointment, both as far as Luke's characterization/ role and the story itself. Really annoying on both fronts!

sequel EU had to end on a book, the Among Thieves one wasn't a bad one to end with, so hopefully the Luke one won't leave a bad taste.[/QUOTE]

I truly hope not!!! Again, I can't imagine it could possibly be worse than Luke's characterization in LotF/FotJ/Crucible.

Boy, that's for sure! I've had it with SITH!!!! They're better in small doses. Palpatine and Vader were scary and seemingly unique villains. Now they are far, far too common. I agree that they are boring. I don't know who came up with the idea of thousands of Sith, but whoever did it, it was a bad idea in my opinion. I hope we don't see hoards of them in the ST. I would actually prefer to see a new villain and no Sith at all, but I'm sure we'll never get that lucky.

I'm looking forward to seeing Luke's Jedi Order on film. (I certainly hope that there *IS* a Jedi Order in the ST!!! However, I think the Order should be relatively small, a few dozen, or at least, less than a hundred.

;)

Oh, I hope Luke's Jedi *aren't* like the prequel Jedi!!!!

l'm really getting worried about MasterSkywalker86. It really *is* unusual for him to be gone for so long without at least a quick message. I really hope he's okay.

22. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    I am not sure I enjoyed any TCW fights well okay that is lie Palps laying the beatdown on Maul and Savage was great.

I dont mind large scale fights but yeah overused these days. I do like the TOR trailer, who ever did the fight choreography did a great job. On all of them.

Now besides marriage, no recruiting young kids and more diversity in thought what precisely do we want in terms of difference in the NJO from the OJO. Although considering Yoda maybe some term limits could be useful.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  23. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah Luke just looks a bit feminine to me in that cover art

24. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Skaddix:
    Yes, definitely over-used. As I said, they seem to lose their impressiveness (Is that a word?) when there are tons of Jedi and tons of Sith fighting. They just aren't as emotionally involving or satisfying, in my opinion.

Well, as I've said before, I'd like more diversity in occupation. I'd like to see Jedi in many different walks of life, though I imagine all of them would need to be proficient in lightsaber and fighting skills, as one of their main jobs is to protect the people of the galaxy. Still, I liked that there was a Jedi lawyer in some of the books. Why not have jedi who are proficient in construction (like Luke rebuilding his father's place in a few minutes? ) , politics, science, exploration, research, investigations, the medical fields, etc.?

I'd like to see the Jedi more involved in helping people in many different ways, i.e., involved in search and rescue during natural disasters, and in resolving conflicts. I'd like to see them investigating problems or mysteries.

I'd like to see the Jedi get rid of the Jedi robes too. I like the tunics, but I'd like to see lots more colors.

Not only do I not want to see the Jedi recruiting young children, but when candidates ARE accepted for Jedi training, I'd like them to still continue having relationships with their families.

I'd like to see Masters with two or three apprentices at one time.

I'd also like to see Luke's Jedi less insular than the old Order. I'd like to see Luke and his Jedi knights working more with non-Jedi. In many of the Bantam books, we saw some of this, but in later books, it seemed that the Jedi were always working pretty much only with Jedi. I really didn't like it that the Jedi and the GA had such a terrible relationship for so many of the books, and things ended even worse in Apocalypse and were bad in Crucible.

LOL!!! ;)

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.