main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Well. The reason the doppelganger technique in DN was dark sided was that it required anger and fear to fuel it. I was verrry glad when Luke in Fotj infused himself with love to fuel his powers instead. For all the flaws in that series, what they got right was luke was usually in the light side.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

When you lose yourself to the darkness, and revenge-kill an ex-lover for the supposed murder of your wife, and are then apparently scarred/stained from the action to the point you no longer trust yourself to an a conflict personally, there's nowhere else to go but up. ;)

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014

My own personal head canon

Gorefiend and TKT like this.
  4. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    and that never should have been written that way. NOT LUKE AT ALL

5. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I feel like there's a Lando joke in here somewhere. :p

[face_laugh][face_rofl]

JediMatteus likes this.
  6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, its moments like that why I like Lego Luke a lot more than some of Luke's other appearances more recently. [face_laugh] Since the only time we see Jedi Master Luke is in post-NJO books and... yeah, that's a lost cause.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    JediMatteus:
    I didn't know that. I don't remember that being said in DE. Did I miss something? Luke didn't seem to be angry when he used it, and his only fear seemed to be for Han and Leia's safety, so it seemed like Luke had a very lightside motive when he used it. As I said, it just seemed like a really cool trick to me. It doesn't seem to be much different than those Fallanaasi illusions and we know those aren't supposed to be dark.

DarthJenari:
    That was by far the worst thing an author has ever done to the character. No author should be allowed to write an iconic hero as a vengeance killer on a par with his villainous father who did the very same thing when he lost his mother. (killed the innocent Tuskin women and children) Luke should have been written as TEMPTED to kill Lumiya for revenge, but as stepping back and NOT succumbing to the temptation. Thankfully, this is yet another story that I'm very happy is no longer canon....

I just hope that I will like the "new canon" that starts in Episode VII a lot better and that the filmmakers aren't going to shove Luke's character under a bus to allow a desired story plot to go forward as so many authors did. I hate when characters and their characterizations/personalities are sacrificed for the sake of a plot. A worthy plot should respect the characters and be character-driven, not the other way around, in my opinion.

Matt Skywalker: Thanks, MS! I loved the little Lego Luke clip! Very funny!

JediMatteus:
    I completely agree, JM! I don't know why the editors allowed that stupid vengeance killing to go forward. That was a bad case of character assassination as far as I'm concerned!

8. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    In lighter news, it's Mark's birthday today. Happy 63rd, Master Skywalker. ;):D:cool:[face_party]

JediMatteus likes this.
  9. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    ChildOfWinds

yes it was written that way. here is a post from me that you replied on 2 years ago

JediMatteus: yeah this was in Dark nest not Dark Empire. It makes it clear that when luke was doing the doppleganger technique to duplicate the jade shadow in The Joiner King luke called on Anger and fear to boost his power. if need be i will look it up tonight

Luke was using an illusion, not a doppleganger in DN., I think. He was trying to cloak the Jade Shadow. I think that dopplegangers involve people , not ships. But what makes the illusion that Luke used in DN wrong, I think, is that Luke used dark emotions like anger, to fuel his Force powers. If Luke hadn't used the dark emotions, there wouldn't have been anything wrong with the illusion in DN.

10. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Just 'cuz it's makin' the rounds on the Internets...BEHOLD! Your weekend dose of Grand Master beardliness:

[​IMG]

11. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Looks FAR too much like Obi-wan.:(:mad:

lukemaraben likes this.
  12. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    From a certain point of view :p

He looks pretty cool although I suspect those aren't his robes from the film.

13. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    I see nothing wrong with Luke resembling Obi-Wan in some ways (Always thought you were able to see a little of Qui-Gon in Obi-Wan, and a little of Dooku in Qui-Gon) Not all that different from them modelling their lightsabers after their Master(s).

Vthuil likes this.
  14. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001

I really don't like it though. I would have much preferred for Luke to be unique and not a copy of someone else. I don't think he looks "cool" in that picture at all. I think he looks old, tired, and beaten down. That's not the Luke I want to see. I want optimistic, active, good sense of humor Luke. If the film takes place 30 years after RotJ, Luke should only be about 53. That picture makes him look a LOT older. I really didn't want Luke to have a beard because I was afraid he would be made to look too much like Obi-wan. It looks like I'm right.

I don't want Luke to be a hermit like Obi-wan either. There would really be no reason for Luke to go into hiding and waste 30 years of his life when he should have been training new Jedi. From the lousy rumors I've heard, it seems like I'm not going to like Luke any better in the ST than I liked the way he was portrayed in DN/LotF/FotJ/Crucible. :( :mad: I was really looking forward to the ST when I first heard about it. Now I'm sort of dreading what they might do to Luke. I will be SO angry if they turn him darkside and don't allow Luke to have trained any Jedi by the time Episode VII starts. It will be SO annoying if Luke has been a hermit or a prisoner for 30 years. I will also be disappointed if Luke doesn't have a kid.

JediMatteus likes this.
  15. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Obi-Wan was only 57, and he looked far older than Luke does here for one. Yet he also looked far kinder than Luke does in the above pic, which brings me to my point: Looking or being old doesn't mean it's impossible for a character to look optimistic, good natured, and active. Even then, I don't necessarily think Luke looks all that harsh int he above pic, but actually looks rather regal, with a dose of scruffiness thrown in due to the unkempt hair. I don't get a beaten down vibe from him at all. I also see nothing wrong with Luke, or Han for that matter, having a beard. I again see shades of Obi-Wan, but it's still clearly Luke so I haev no issue with it.

16. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Yeah, that's the impression I got too, that he looks dignified in spite of the scruff.

Teh Beard was jarring at first for me too, but I'm making peace with it. I must admit, it's the best way to hide the, um...jowliness. :p

17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, at first I didn't want Luke to sport a beard in VII, but I have to admit the way Mark looks with the beard lately has completely won me over. :cool:

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Pity we can't get comparison shots. I like the beard myself.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    No beard, 1983
    [​IMG]

No beard, 2014
    [​IMG]

Early beard, 2014
    [​IMG]

Full beard, 2014
    [​IMG]

Personally, I think he looks great with the full beard–keep in mind the above picture is before he trimmed it a bit, so he won't be quite so scruffy in the movie, probably. I don't see why a beard has to make him seem old, tired, or beaten down–just look at the guy, grinning like that. I'm sure his apprentices will be treated to that smile more than once in the movie–to me, this looks like a Jedi Master who's been through a lot and kept on ticking. He doesn't look hermit-y or somber to me.

20. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Kyle's beard is now a legend.... All hail Luke's beard!

DarthJenari and Revanfan1 like this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    What I mean is comparison of Mark with beard right now to what Mark would like without a beard at the present moment.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Ah, I see–yes, I'd be very interested to see that. I'd laugh if by the end of VII he ended up clean-shaven; maybe he just hasn't had access to a razor so he has a beard at the beginning of the movie, and then he shaves in the middle and remains clean-shaven for the rest of the movie. :p

Seriously, though, love the beard.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I prefer Mark with a trimmed beard. He looks great. Thanks for the pics, Revanfan. :) Luke has fared a lot but given that he still looks vital yet seasoned as befits him.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Trimmed or full I want to see him with a beard for the film. Give's him an aged, yet wizened look.

What many don't realize is that the Death Star didn't explode because of Luke's final proton torpedo. That was the moment Kyle Katarn first grew his Beard, and the Death Star was running in fear. ;)

Revanfan1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.