main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If any of this stuff is "legit" where are the LFL Storm-lawyers, suing the arse off the loudmouths casually breaking their super-NDAs?

Oh wait... It's not.

2. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001

Well, I guess there were some firings. The question is if what they passed on to these people was wrong information purposely given to see who would breach their contract before the real information was filmed or not. This happened a while back. We'll see, I guess...

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It may be dependent on phrasing in the contract, but I think some NDAs can extend past termination of employment for a fixed term.

4. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001

I mean that I think they were terminated due to the leaks.

5. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i agree with your statement in princible, but can you explain why you think Luke could surpass the wisdom of Yoda after Yoda was around almost a millinium?

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, agreed, I'm just suggesting they could be quite dumb thinking that just because they're fired that gives them total freedom. Might want to check the fine print.....

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Wisdom isn't really dependent on length of time though, is it? Yoda may well consider, in terms of wisdom, that only for a fraction of his life might he consider himself to have a measure of wisdom - that which he came to on Dagobah, when Sidious thought he had taken all from Yoda.

Luke was able to go beyond the paradigm set out for him by Yoda and Kenobi, although it's notable Yoda only told Luke that he must face Vader and beware the Emperor, nothing about killing Vader first, which was Obi-Wan's take.

8. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    @Jedimara77

While nothing may be getting off the production stage, what they're talking about are concept art pictures and story boards. Some of these guys have seen a LOT of concept art, but nothing of Luke except for the cyborg one in which the chin and eye apparently look exactly like Mark Hamill's. :( :mad:

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Problem with that is for a movie the size of SW: Ep7, there is a ton of concept art produced, of which only a fraction is used.

It's why Rebels is able to tap a vast amount of unused Ralph McQuarrie designs for instance.

10. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001

It's even annoying to know that they even THOUGHT about doing an evil Luke.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No, it isn't, not in the absence of there being anything else in terms of stories, nor do we know where that line of brainstorming led to. Generating story ideas isn't a linear process of A to B to C, it's A to G, sparking off a new tangent that gets rejected, but as it is it gives birth to K in its death throes.

Right now, people are drawing very wide conclusions from tiny pieces of less than useful or reliable data.

Dante1120 and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Yeah, I'd say get upset (or, much more preferably, overjoyed) when we get concrete data, not rumors that have no verification to them. Complaining about these rumors being spread is one thing, but to act like they're true and getting upset as if this was told to you by J.J. Abrams himself (on a truth field, so he couldn't use his patented misdirection) is a waste of energy.

Vthuil and Revanfan1 like this.
  13. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    So they claim.

And even if they have, it's concept art. Anakin was supposed to have a mohawk in one.

Matt Skywalker and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    A misguided Luke is no more unlikely or inconceivable than a misguided Anakin for me. Luke is still Human. If he turns why would that b bad? If it's handled well it could be really powerful. Even 'heroes' lose their way. I think it's vital Luke isn't shown to be too 'white'. All are grey it's part of being Human.

15. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    The unique thing about Luke is that he's tempted but DOESN'T turn.

I don't want to see another Skywalker lose their way and turn to the dark side. Been there, done that--twice.

16. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Been there, done that, got the t-shirt roboclaw.

Matt Skywalker and JediMara77 like this.
  17. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    @JediMara77

I understand what you're saying, but Anakin with a mohawk is WAY less of a change from what we got in the prequels than an evil, cyborg Luke would be. One is a simple matter of a hairstyle; the other involves a radical change into a monster in every way possible.

I completely agree! As I keep saying, this is my line in the sand. If Luke becomes a villain, I'm done with SW. They will never get me back as a fan or consumer. Even if they "redeem" Luke (which would AGAIN be the same story that we got in the OT), I will never come back. They will have forever ruined Luke for me. One can't "fix" Luke once they've broken him. You can't bring back dead victims and you can't undo evil deeds. If they turn Luke into an evil cyborg, they will have destroyed him for me and I will never feel the same way about him again.

And I don't know how they will have any Jedi if Luke goes bad and there are no new Jedi at the beginning of Episode VII.

JediMatteus likes this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Because many of Yoda's statements and acts don't strike me as wise. He's too calcified in his beliefs how a Jedi should be.

19. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Well, another day, and more people claiming to have seen images of an evil, cyborg Luke. :( :mad: Sadly, I only saw ONE person in the Episode VII forum who DIDN'T like the idea. Everyone else either seemed to think it was an "interesting", "believable" idea, or downright LOVED having Luke fall and become the villain. Someone even said she thought it would be great and "different" to see a story about a "corrupted redeemer". She said that she doesn't feel that Luke really went through much of a trial in the OT and found it very believable that a Luke who lost a son or daughter would fall and become the primary villain.

:::SIGH:::: Things do NOT look or sound good. Still no images of "Good Luke" seen, only evil cyborg Luke, but many images of the other characters. :(:mad:

As soon as I get an official confirmation of this, I'm gone. As I said, once they turn Luke into a villain, there's no way that I'm interested, even if they eventually redeem him. He will be forever ruined for me.

And to think I was SO excited when I first heard about the ST and that the Big Three would play fairly large roles. However, once the rumors started, they were ALL bad for Luke, and they kept getting worse and worse.

If they're all correct, Luke will have been missing for 30 years prior to Episode VII, will have no wife and kids, no Jedi Order, very little screentime, AND we will find that he has somehow turned into the villain either before or during Episode VII, AND he's an ugly cyborg with only a chin and one eye showing in an otherwise horrible looking face besides. :( :mad:

JediMatteus likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Darth Luke will be called Darth Icky! :p

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This is the only part I'm buying at this point and I am not even sure on the details. Me personally, I'm still behind the "cyborg Luke is a vision" rumor. Real Luke will be normal. But even if the real Luke is a cyborg, that does not mean he's evil. What if he's still a good guy, but he was injured over the years and is now part cyborg? I don't like it either, but I'd prefer that to him being a cyborg and evil. Personally, the only problem I'd have with Luke being a cyborg is skin-deep, and I think that's your problem, too. We're used to Luke being a handsome human man. I think the negative reaction to him being a cyborg is just that we don't want to see our hero marred physically. But honestly, he'd still be Luke. Just because he's a cyborg now doesn't mean he isn't the same person on the inside. He could still be good, kind, loving...just in a cyborg's shell. If that's the case, I'd rather that than nothing. Because I don't care how he looks, if he still embodies the heroic Luke we all know and love.

22. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Sadly, Revan, we DON"T know that he will still be the same good Luke on the inside. From what someone said, the cyborg IS evil. He is seen on a star destroyer bridge and a dark throne, and he apparently captures or holds Daisy.

But even if he's a GOOD cyborg, I don't like it. This is the best we can hope for? No Family. Not Jedi Order. No screentime. Did nothing of consequence for 30 years. And we're supposed to HOPE that he's a GOOD cyborg???? Thanks for nothing JJ and Kasdan. We Luke fans have been hoping to see Luke in a new SW film for over 30 years and the best we can get is MAYBE a "Good cyborg"? :(:mad:

AND EVEN THAT isn't a given.

And why hire Mark Hamill and have him grow a huge beard and then put him in a suit where we don't even see him? This would be SO disrespectful to Luke, Mark Hamill, AND Luke fans.

Sadly, there don't even seem to BE very many Luke fans......::(:mad:

JediMatteus likes this.
  23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, of course we don't know that, but I'm hoping for the best. There could be more than one cyborg, after all, or it could be a Republic Star Destroyer, and the dark throne thing could be taken out of context. And I still say the Daisy thing is an out-of-context vision. Sounds way too creepy to be something that actually happens for real.

We don't know any of that. He could've had a family before he became a cyborg, he could've trained a few Jedi, he'll certainly have screen time, and if he's a cyborg, then he's certainly done something of consequence. Maybe he's a cyborg because he's been fighting some great evil for the past 30 years, and defeating it chipped him away, bit by bit?

And I still believe the cyborg is a vision because of the beard. The beard, to me, means that he is clearly at some point fully human in the movie. And remember that these concept arts could be first "drafts"–there were plenty of McQuarrie concepts, after all; like a breath-masked Luke fighting Vader (who had a blue lightsaber). Or stormtroopers with lightsabers and shields. None of this is guaranteed to happen in VII.

As to people being Luke fans–I hardly think that's fair. They may want different things for the character, but that doesn't make them any more or less a fan than you. They can still like him and he can be their favorite character, but they can want to see something different from (or for) him. They just have different tastes, is all, and I think that's fair, even if we disagree.

24. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    But can there really be SO MANY who like Luke's character and who want him to be an evil Cyborg????? There just seem to be SO few who want a good, honorable Luke. And an evil Luke is so far removed from the good, honorable Luke that we saw in the OT, so how can they say they like the character? I don't really see how it's possible to like the OT Luke and WANT him to be an evil cyborg who has no family and has trained no Jedi. It just doesn't make sense to me at all.

I have seen EXTREMELY few people who have said that they don't want a dark, evil Luke. I truly don't understand that.

JediMatteus likes this.
  25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I guess it's the same way that some people who are Han fans want Han to die. Everybody has a different vision of what they want for their favorite characters. [face_dunno]

I disagree; I've seen lots of people who've said that. There have been those who've said they want a gray Luke, or a monk Luke, but only a few who actually do want Luke to be the villain of the movie. Certainly not as many as want him to not be the villain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.