main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    If I had a nickel for every time ChildofWinds went into the Episode VII forum, I'd have my debts paid off by now. :p

Hey, there's an idea - let's make a Sequel Jar to pay into every time we head over there! That'll shake the habit real quick, lol.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

[​IMG]

My loyal minion here will guard your money with his life ;)

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    The problem is that you're hanging out in the Episode VII forum. Go on Twitter and you'll find a lot more people who agree with you.

4. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005

Or Tumblr.

Where most people seem to believe that IF Luke is behind the cyborg mask - it's because he's undercover/impersonating the real bad guy. Which makes a lot more sense to me and also fits in with:
    1) Why Luke is "missing" - because he's been infiltrating the bad guys and thus can't be in communication with Leia, Han, etc.
    2) JJ Abrams's love of characters who are not what they say they are/who the audience thinks they are (see: Alias, Lost, what he tried to do with Khan in the second Star Trek film, etc.)
    3) A callback to Luke's vision in ESB - this time, he really IS inside the helmet of evil. Only it's still a psych-out.

5. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    CoW, i agree with you. The reality is that people think it won't be interesting if most everyone is true to character, yet the movies were true to character and were great. We don't need a plot twist that sabotages an heroic character. If we do that just shows the ineptitude of the people making this film. You know Leia has never been tested.,lets make her a Sith. She is a child of Vader, and shows less light side inclinations.

6. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001

Unfortunately, I don't use twitter.

@Revanfan1

Maybe it seems like most people want to see a dark Luke because the people who want an evil cyborg Luke seem to be monopolizing the threads there, posting over and over again and gleefully getting in digs about those who want Luke retain his integrity and remain the good, lightside character we knew from the OT.

JediMatteus likes this.
  7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So here are the pics that everyone is "assuming" is Darth Luke. To me, in the first pic, I can see a little bit of Hamill in the upper lip. The other pics, I don't see Mark at all, though, so I think either a) this is a cyborg impersonating Luke, b) this is Luke impersonating a villain, or c) this isn't Luke at all and people are drawing conclusions because of his upper lip. :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    GAH!!!!!! Please put those under a cut. I didn't want to see them.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm sorry! Didn't think about the spoiler factor. Fixed it! ;)

10. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Random Disgruntled Nostalgia of the Day:

Rereading Ch. 19 of The Unifying Force makes me wish Luceno had written the bulk of the post-NJO EU. Man, I wanted to see those non-depressing adventures of a still-snarky Ben and Luke! (And Mara!) WE COULD HAVE HAD IT ALLLLLLLLL. :_|:_|:_|:_|:_|

*sniffle* Okay, carry on now...

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I have my copy of Rebel Heist! Not yet read.

12. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    And more would be sad that its erased?

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Short review of Rebel Heist: You all need to read it!

Longer review is over in the Trades Thread but I'm re-posting it here:

Rebel Heist

Damn, this was great fun to read! The only flaw in the collection is that this is one time that DHC would have been better to not do their usual practice of no chapter breaks, as the shift between each can be abrupt if you don't know they do it.

The first story with Han had all sorts of weird stuff going on that I imagine could throw you off if reading it monthly. The second is where it went up a gear, with Leia getting to act like James Bond, flying onto the top of a building, to strip off to a ballgown is pure Bond. Similarly what follows, which was a great escape and chase sequence. Issue 3 sees Chewie come into the picture and a considerable amount of arse gets kicked by the Wookiee. It all comes together in the final issue where what Han was doing becomes much clearer, how Leia's actions fit into the larger picture and then there's amount of stormtroopers Luke decks - speed, lightsaber deflections, perceptiveness beyond the norm - Luke gets to exhibit a good few skills here.

And the object of the heist? Well....

It was the shield generator for Hoth, which for some more knowledgeable fans posed more of a problem. It works fine for me.

The art I liked a great deal, all the characters are well rendered. Leia in particular is well-drawn, attractive without being over-sexualised. At the same time while the gang are well done, the device of them being seen through the eyes of others isn't a perception of them as some godlike figures, indeed Kindt clearly wants to avoid that, but neither does he go to the other extreme of downplaying their heroic qualities too much.

It may be quieter than some may like, but for me, this is a great farewell story from DHC to the big 3.

Darth_Pevra and ThreadSketch like this.
  14. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Thanks for the review, Jedi Ben! Since I haven't been buying comics anymore (even if I was now, the nearest store is way across town and nowhere near a bus stop), I was kind of bummed that the Luke issue was the only one that DH didn't put a preview of, so I wasn't even able to sneak a peak at the art (I read about the plot here at the forums). Oh well. But I'm also glad that the OT heroes went out on a nice note after the Star Woods debacle.

15. JamesSkywalker

JamesSkywalker Jedi Master

Jun 8, 2011
    Since I fell that I am safe among fellow Luke fans, can we all agree that Luke should not be a 60 something year old Sith? I know this is a rumor. But if anything Luke should be more like Yoda, who doesn't necessarily fight on the front lines but is a source of wisdom for a New Jedi Order. I will be very disapointed also if Luke has lived the life of a hermit for the past 30 years, Yoda had an excuse but Luke needs to pass on what he has learned. Also I couldn't imagine a situation in which luke hasn't spoken with Han or Leia for 30 years he would be practically a stranger to them by then.

16. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah he is only 52 or 53 in the film as well. But you right, if Luke is gone a long time, it is not by choice.

17. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    @ThreadSketch:

Oh, yes! Wouldn't it have been WONDERFUL! I very much enjoyed TUF, which is amazing, because I pretty much hated most of the NJO. TUF actually saved the series, I think. It would have been SO much better if Luceno had been the major mastermind of the SW EU after the NJO instead of Denning. Stars! Denning really messed things up for the characters and the universe, in my opinion. He truly never "got" Luke and wrote him as a cold, darkish, humorless person.

@Jedi Ben:
    Glad you liked, Rebel Heist, JB!!! I actually have it, but haven't read it yet. Hope to rectify that soon!

It will be great to read something in the SW universe that both includes Luke and is fun to read. That hasn't happened for me in a long, long time!

Sounds great! :)

I think the object of the heist is rather clever.

Which sounds like a happy medium...

"Quiet" sounds refreshing!

Let's just hope it's not the last time we see Luke well-portrayed! I'm still SO nervous about Episode VII!

@ThreadSketch:
    So am *I*! That WAS a "debacle" too!

@JamesSkywalker :
    Welcome to the SOS thread, JS! I agree one hundred percent! Luke is the very LAST person that should ever be turned into a Sith. After all Luke went through in the OT, and after facing both Vader and Palpatine, there shouldn't be ANYTHING or ANYONE that can turn him evil. Luke was willing to die TWICE in order to stay on the lightside. He has proven himself to be a true, lightside Jedi.

I agree that he should definitely be far more like Yoda than like a Sith. ;) However, I'd like Luke to be LUKE, which means that I'd like him to have the wisdom of Yoda, but to also be a bit more action-oriented, as that's more like Luke. He doesn't have to be at the forefront of every battle, but I would really LOVE to see Luke do a couple of amazing Force feats to show his special Skywalker-class Force powers. When we last left Luke, we really only saw him as a newly minted Jedi. I'd like to see him in action as an experienced Jedi, working with the new, younger characters sometimes..

I completely agree!

Plus, if Luke has been missing for 30 years, there won't be a Jedi Order, and there can't be any stories that include him in books and comics between RotJ and Episode VII.

JediMatteus and JamesSkywalker like this.
  18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    The more I think about it, the more I begin to believe that what we will see from Luke will be unlike anything that's been rumored so far. Or at least, not completely the same as what we've heard. Maybe he has been missing–but it could be because he's training a few Jedi in secret. I don't think he's the cyborg because that rumor only sprung up because the concept art cyborg's has a mouth that sort of resembles Hamill's. Nothing more. I think that Luke in VII will defy (and blow away) all our expectations. But then maybe I'm just feeling especially optimistic right now. :p

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  19. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    A thought occured to me now. Luke turning to the dark side in Episode VII would be a disservice to Vader and Palpatine too: If they couldn't turn Luke to the dark side, no one should be able to do it!

20. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    So has anyone kept up with Rebels ? I saw the movie, will see the new episode today. Its a little early to say but it captures the OT magic despite many of the criticisms of the cartoonish visuals( for real ?) Im looking forward when Luke makes a cameo. :)

21. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes. So far I liked it well enough, even though it does have some flaws.

22. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    I really enjoy Rebels. The spirit is very in tune with the Original Trilogy.

I don't expect to see Luke, nor do I want to. But I would love a Wedge Antilles cameo.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    i liked the last episode though some actually lament the use of reconizable characters like, c3p0, R2-D2, and Bail Organa

24. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014

Would be cool to see the Ghost stop by an arbitrary fueling station with a quaint green/black checkerboard motif.

25. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004

I love the way they included Bail because it points to them using the Corellian Treaty idea of founding the Rebel Alliance. Which is fantastic.

ThreadSketch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.