main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

im very sorry. I will pray for healing right now.

Revanfan1, ChildOfWinds and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ouch, sorry to hear that, hope she recovers.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I will pray for you and yours as well CoW. :)

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  4. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Will keep her in my thoughts and prayers Child.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  5. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Thanks to all for the prayers and good wishes. They are much appreciated!

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes, she's in my prayers too, CoW.

7. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Adding my well wishes to your mum too, CoW!

8. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013

[:D]

9. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Sending good thoughts your way, COW.

So, names for several characters have been released, and none of them were predicted by any of the well-known spoiler sites. Do we think this means all those rumors have been debunked?

10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Not necessarily, but it does feel like another nail in the coffin.

11. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014

Well it looks like some rumors have been proven true(Boyega as a Trooper) while others have been way off. I don't think anyone had a clue Boyega would be Finn or Ridley as Rey(I wonder if that's short for something.....like Del-Rey ;) ). My best way at looking at it, is if it sounds dumb, OOC, irrational, or completely off the wall it ain't going be in the film.

Does anyone know when Star Wars #1 is released ?

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Pretty certain it's Jan 2015.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    New variant for SW#1 by Mike McKone, I like:

[​IMG]

14. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Alright Marvel, just STAHP. STAHP ALREADY. o_O:rolleyes:[face_laugh]

15. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014

[​IMG]

Marvel is gonna shill as much as possible with the license acquistion. So I'm not surprised. All I can hope for is some good, exciting fresh stories on the iconic characters and explore uncharted terroritory with brand new characters. Also hoping for some good old fashioned cohesion, character narratives, and continuity.

The darn Rebels mid season finale has me antzy right now with no new content to dwell on.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Hmm. Just watched an interesting TED talk from a dad discussing "hidden messages in kids' movies." In a nutshell, he made a contrast between The Wizard of Oz and Star Wars: Oz had more female protagonists and antagonists and had the message of a woman being a leader and saving the day by making friends with those around her, while Star Wars is the more trope-y shoot-em-up ra-ra-for-boys type of movie. In the end, he says his young daughter's favorite characters from both films were Glinda and Obi-Wan. He says they're both leader figures who share their knowledge with everyone else and basically make them into better people. Star Wars falls into the large category of movies that reinforce the idea that boys need to solve all their problems with violence and get rewarded with a girl at the end of the story.

Okay, fair enough, but...after I thought about it, he drew his conclusions based only on the first part of the OT. Given that Luke is my fave, I have a feel about this. (I know the Tumblr crowd has too, so it's not like I'm making this in a vacuum or can take credit for it.) *drags out soap box*

Obi-Wan is indeed dope-fresh, and although he's a manipulator (whose intent will be endlessly debatable) I can empathize with him because of all the hell he went through with Anakin, but that's beside the point. I'd argue that Luke is also a good fictional hero for boys to look up to because, at the end of his long and superbly executed character arc, he doesn't solve his problems with violence, but with the exact opposite - mercy. It's when he chooses to stop fighting and spare his father's life that he scores a moral victory, and even though his decision puts him in mortal peril, his actions are what spurs Vader to dispose of the Emperor, something Luke himself was never really meant to do.

He also doesn't get much of a "reward" in the end - he connects with his dad for just a few minutes before the old man dies, and he has to burn his remains; even though Anakin (creepy or non-creepy, your choice, lol) shows up as a ghost it's not like they'll be able to hang out at length. He also gets no girl, since said girl turned out to be his sibling. [face_blush]o_O:p Instead, his reward is getting to rejoin his friends and newfound family, a team who has all worked together for their accomplishments, including Leia, a strong female character who he will undoubtedly support and respect as an equal. Thus, although he didn't get the perfect "happy" fairytale ending, he's still content.

That's surprisingly bittersweet and un-trope-y for a big, juvenile, Hero's Journey-riffing movie franchise. So yes, I'd vote for Luke as a decent media role model too.

Abadacus, Iron_lord and Revanfan1 like this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Even allowing for that, it's a crappy and ill-thought out conclusion! What does Luke have at the end of ANH? Dead parents, dead mentor, maybe a couple of new friends and a life on the run - not exactly a "reward" by any measure and no, Leia isn't some "prize" to be awarded, nor does the OT treat her like one.

If people want to make the argument that SW has a screwed up moral compass then it's Vader and ROTJ they need to look to. What goes on there is highly problematic and without any easy solution too.

Of course, admittedly, I have an instinctive response of instant rejection of those who advocate gender models of 'what are little girls and boys made of' type, it's destructive rubbish but, unfortunately, it never lacks for fool advocates.

Revanfan1, Matt Skywalker and Vthuil like this.
  18. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Yeah, that's pretty much why I was like [face_dunno]after watching the video, but I thought, "Well, okay, whatevs, that's his opinion, man." [/The Dude]

What's funny is that neither Luke or Han wind up with "The Girl" at the end of ANH anyway, and indeed, Leia was an awesome protagonist who held her own throughout the whole trilogy.

But I was mainly put out by the insinuation that Luke, the technical "hero" of the OT, isn't really a hero at all. Erm, I beg to differ - he is. One of the best, IMO.

Sometimes a situation calls for unapologetic butt-kicking, sometimes it calls for saber hilt-tossing and friendship bracelets (okay, not really, but you know what I mean :p). Like Ecclesiastes, there's a time and a place for everything.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
  20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Wait... it's "BAMPF" now? What was wrong with "BAMF"?

21. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Exactly.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Isn't BAMPF the noise people make in some comics when teleporting?

23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
  24. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's kind of akin to the criticism that SW and ANH glamourise war. Let's look at the Battle of Yavin as a case study, say 30 pilots go in, 3 fly out, and one of those is an extra player! At a conservative estimate you have a 90% casualty rate for the Rebels as a minimum. There were more fighters? Then that percentage only goes up! The picture only gets worse, not better. Not to mention all the Rebs we see die, do so in flames, not a great way to go. So where's the glamour?

It's like how CSI has apparently done the same for crime scene analysis, seriously? Was I watching the same show? Because the show I saw paints a picture of grim, painstaking work that takes days, over long hours that kill your social life, but hey, it's all done by montage so let's not think about that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.