main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke in Star Wars #3 looks fantastic cool badassery.

Also speaking of Save our Skywalker:

[​IMG]

What the serious %$#&? Was Luke practicing before he surrendered to Vader or something?

Abadacus, Iron_lord, Vthuil and 2 others like this.
  2. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I've always been curious about this photo. Was this done just for the sake of goofing off? Was it a promo pic meant to throw off the rumor mill? Or was there a previous plot point about the Rebels betraying Luke and turning him over in hopes of bargaining with the Empire or something that was later discarded? If anyone has insight on it, I'd love to hear it.

*And how awesome is it to see a Rebel lady right up front?? :cool: I'm still bummed about losing all those female pilots from ROTJ...

Iron_lord and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't think promo pictures are done with any particular thought about the storyline.

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    They were all Imperial infiltrators.
    [​IMG]

5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    ^ that looks like a shot from the awesomest ROTJ cut subplot ever.

6. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    That could have an interesting plot! Rebels betraying Luke and Vader sitting on the throne, what would have happened next?

7. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Bruhhhhhh, that is sweet. Dangit, now this is giving me thinky thoughts. No, down, bad plot bunnies! *smacks furiously* :p

8. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    release the plot bunnies

9. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    I've been meaning to do a thurough write-up of my ideas for an alternate PT for a while now; this is making me want to do an alternate OT as well, albeit for different reasons.
    I'm thinking Luke takes a different path after Bespin: Han is never rescued and some critical moments in the Rebellion force him to make awful choices, adopting a more military role. He never finds the time to return to Yoda, feeling conflicted and guilty about leaving the struggle to be told riddles in the swamp. Instead he learns to use his abilities through combat, coming ever closer to the Dark Side.
    I'll work out exactly how Endor plays out, but basically things are going badly; Luke accepts Vader's previous offer of joint rule - with the condition of amnesty for the Rebellion - and together they kill the Emperor, in a way more like Mara's vision, betraying him and drawing their lightsabers together. The meat and bones would be the moral conflict between Vader and Luke, with Luke attempting to institute reforms and appease the Rebellion while Vader (not caring much for politics) seeks to mold his son to validate his own existence - if he can make Luke into a pitiless killer and tyrant like himself, he'll never have to face that so much of his life has been so wrong.
    Leia is given lifetime authority over a new Senate - she tries to refuse in favor of term limits, but she's the only one Luke still truly trusts, so he threatens stop pushing for a senate at all unless she accepts as-is. She acts as the angel on Luke's shoulder and de-facto leader of the former Rebel factions. Would also feature Wedge, Ackbar and Vader arguing military ethics, civil wars within both the Rebel and Imperial camps at the same time, and other wonderful things.
    Can Vader gradually be turned good by his son's influence? Will Luke gradually be turned evil by his father's? Will Leia push her way into a triumvirate, will democracy win out, or will there be an estrangement in the family? I don't know yet. Maybe we'll find out.
    Yes, I'm a bit of a history geek, if that wasn't obvious already.

10. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    It reminds me of this
    [​IMG]

mostly because Vader is sitting on the throne, which I think is an interesting visual.

spicer, BigAl6ft6 and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    I know this tangent belongs in the Fanfic forum, but...

[​IMG]

Carry on now. [face_whistling]

ChildOfWinds and Abadacus like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For those interested, my comments / review of HttJ are over in the dedicated thread.

If you consider yourself a Luke fan then yes, you need to give it a go.

ChildOfWinds and Iron_lord like this.
  13. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    WE NEED AN INFINITIES ROTJ MOVIE WITH VADER AS EMPEROR RIGHT NOW! FORGET EPISODE VII!

Yeah, I'll cool down don't worry...but this picture is beyond awesome :p

14. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    Luke and Vader should have killed the Emperor together and than the rest of the movie is mostly Luke trying change him from the dark side while Vader reigns as Emperor for a while, but is a better ruler than old palps

15. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Ouch! I found this poor thread on page three! :(

Some of the story ideas in here sound better than what we seem to be getting with TFA, sadly. I truly hope that we will be getting more than a cameo of Luke in the new film. That would be ridiculous, not to mention, annoying!

Ben, glad to hear that you like the new Luke novel! I have it on kindle, but haven't read it yet.

I did just finish reading the first two issues of the new SW marvel comics. Can't say that I'm terribly impressed, so far. I really don't like having Luke and Vader meet before TESB. I know they did that in that one book, was it the mind's eye? I didn't like that either. Luke and vader's first meeting should have been on Bespin.

The idea that some imperial would so easily point Leia in the direction of the core, I found pretty unbelievable too. Even if he guy had told her, you would think that he would then quickly sound the alarm once they headed off in the direction he pointed out.

I liked that Luke wanted to save the slaves, but how would all of them fit on the falcon? Or was I misunderstanding? Did they have other transport available for the slaves?

And threepio with the falcon and the gun was a bit much. Not a great beginning, in my opinion.

JediMatteus likes this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The slaves were not part of the original plan. But the Falcon is, after all, a small freighter. It has enough storage space to take a few people in, I think.

17. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    I suppose so, but it didn't seem to be all that huge, and there were a LOT of slaves in that prison or whatever it was.

BigAl6ft6, I forgot to mention that picture that you posted. That is indeed a puzzler. Did anyone ever figure out where it came from or why it was done? Just to make it look like maybe Luke had gone over to the other imperial side but was captured by the rebels as an early promo piece?

18. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    they had a lot of storage during the YV war taking refugees with them

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I really dug Luke's characterization in the last 3 issues of "Star Wars". He has his moments of Jedi badassery (his banter with Han as he's taking out troopers on the speeder bike is amazing) but still does kind of muck it up a bit (Vader basically spanked him in a second, rightfully so as should happen immediately post ANH). But The Force does guide him through (as I thought how he made his escape from the factory when it was going ka-blewy).

20. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    I still think it's great Luke's Marvel adventures survived into the new EU mostly intact. That's probably the biggest win of this whole reset process.

That means 80s bandanna Rambo Luke still exists, and that's all that matters. :D

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    John Cassaday finishes his SW run with #6, artist for #7 is TBC, but from #8 art will be by Stuart Immonen! This is great news, why? Get a load of this:

[​IMG]

22. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Wow! That looks great! :)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And that's his early, initial SW cover!

Immonen's just an all-round great artist, but he's also capable of adjusting and altering his style to the job in question, I don't know of anyone else that does that.

24. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    I liked that Luke managed to survive; no question about that. However, how did he do it? I'm still trying to figure that out. At one point, it seems like he is certain he won't survive. Then you see all of those explosions, and then Luke is suddenly on the Falcon. How did it happen?

I must admit that comics are not my favorite medium. I'm not always very good about interpreting what's happening in the various panels. I prefer novels, where things seem less nebulous to me. With comics, you seem to need to not only decode the picture frames, but to sometimes infer what happens between two frames.

I agree that Luke's characterization has been pretty good though.

I think I'm going to like the new artist, JB.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

It's very minimalist, the 3 panels when Luke escapes, but I actually really liked it because it became more abstract and, to me, it reads as if Luke is in the Force "zone". It becomes a bit more jagged, which is probably how it feels to Luke at this time in his life post ANH when he uses the Force, it sort of overtakes him. One panel exploding, one panel he thinks he's gonna die, next panel he's outracing the explosions outside of the factory. Last panel outracing the explosions = escape. There's a progression there but it's not entirely A-B-C but I thought it worked for what Luke was experiencing. Chaos, but he lives. Thank The Force.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.