main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I think he's active playing vid games on his PS4! :D

Now onto HttJ....

One of the reasons I suspect Luke post-ANH but pre-ESB gets a rough deal is that he's the kid in the story, he isn't man-of-the-galaxy Han or a-bit-too-scarily-cool Leia, he is, in a good many ways a kid. One subjected to one hell of a learning in about 48 hours at the end of which his family, as he knows them are dead, as is a kind old fella, and he's ended up storming and escaping and then blowing up a planet-killer the size of a moon. He's at the stage in his life where he's uncertain of what to do or be. For some, that's an unwelcome reminder of how they were at that stage in their life!

HttJ works well enough as a Luke piece in a few key respects. It is not a cataclysmic, earth-shattering book that will rend continuity and change things forever, it is simply a good character study of Luke and we've had very few of those.

The rest is spoilered as a pre-caution, but is not particularly spoiler-heavy:

What is clear in HttJ is that Luke is not without skills and abilities, they just tend to be focused in specific areas - flying and shooting. Courtesy of being familiar with places on Tattooine Luke is at ease with aliens in general, but lacks knowledge of specifics, but is willing to learn. Leia's advice that he not trust everyone is well-meant but misses a fundamental aspect of Luke's nature, he can't be that cynical. (In some ways it could be said that it's Luke's influence that rubs off on Ha and Leia across the OT and not the other way around.)

One of the things that the book did well, certainly better than Zahn with A / CoO, was nail the nature of the Force and the difficulty of learning to use it. It is basically an irrational magic field that you can't wield with reason. At the same time, Hearne avoids opting for the Force-Zombie-activates-God-Mode setting. Instead, Luke taps the Force instinctively to enhance his own abilities to the next level, so using it in combination. This is refreshing as there was a tendency in Legends for some authors to say only the Force was needed! The space battle with the Interdictor and its 2 TIE squadrons was a case in point.

Nakari Kelen is a great character for Luke. An older, taller woman who's good with a sniper rifle and quite at ease with being so! If you wanted a character a million miles away from Mara Jade, who tended to get depicted as acerbic and abrasive more often than not, then Nakari is it. Nakari is basically a lesson in You-Don't-Have-to-be-a-Bastard-to-show-"Strength" and that I didn't expect from the book.

And then there is the dark side... This features only briefly near the end and is never called so by name, nonetheless anyone who reads it will recognise it for what it is, even if Luke cannot. Hearne's description of it is excellent, bringing a new aspect to the fore that fits in perfectly with what has been known of it. A yawning, perpetually hungry abyss of darkness. One that Luke instinctively knows is no good for him. From this you can conclude a few things - namely, Luke Skywalker is never turning to the dark side. It pretty much had him, utterly vulnerable, more open to its lures than he ever would be as he didn't even know its predatory gaze was on him and Luke still rejected it! It'll take a lot more to get him anywhere near close. It'll take a galactic megalomaniac, with an another moon-sized planet-killer, plus a homicidal father, a massive fleet ambush and threatening the deaths of all those he cares about to get Luke even in striking distance of it.

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I've arrived at what is about page 50 and so far I really enjoy HttJ. It's scope is not as great as is usual in Star Wars with all the world shattering cataclysms, but that doesn't bother me at all, it's simply been an interesting journey with a lot of insights into the mind of Luke Skywalker.

3. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Luke in many way is a Messiah type character, and unfortunately, Messiahs tend not to have the chance to live happy lives, regardless of how much they deserve it.

JediMatteus likes this.
  4. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Dunno, in the movies he only was a messiah-type at the end of ROTJ. Now his role probably changes into that of the mentor. Star Wars characters can be dynamic, they can play more roles than one.

5. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Aww thanks Child, I'm fine just taking a break from rumors and little on news from the movies. I'm also curious to hear JB's thoughts on HttJ but I'm looking more forward to the main comic and Darth Vader. Also Rebels has been enjoyable

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  6. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Yay! Glad you're okay!

Jedi Ben, I loved your review of HttJ! Great job! It gives me hope for the book. Now I really do need to get started on reading it, so I can do a proper response to and discussion about your post of the book.

That's certainly a wonderful fan art piece! Too bad it's not actually published somewhere so the artist can get paid for such a wonderful image. Or, has it been printed somewhere?

As for taking the books to the library, I took the ones I knew I would never want to read again anyway. Someone else might as well have the opportunity to read them if I'm never going to do it. Some of them were old sourcebooks anyway. I don't really know why I bought those in the first place. I kept all of the SW books that I enjoyed and that I might someday revisit again.

7. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    Anybody looking forward to Star Wars Aftermath ?

JediMatteus and Revanfan1 like this.
  8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Most certainly! Even if Luke's not in it (which is a possibility, if he's in the Shattered Empire comic that takes place around the same time), or if he's not one of the main characters, it's been too long since we've had a post-ROTJ novel.

9. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    Whoops, I got the titles confused. Is Shattered Empire the comic with the cover of the Ewok
    Celebration ?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yes, that's the one. Aftermath is the novel by Chuck Wendig.

11. Matt Skywalker

Apr 26, 2014
    I'm the era between Episode 6 and 7 gets fully explored in a tv series or animated series. Think of 30 years of potential Luke adventures. :eek:

12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well–15 or so. If you go by rumors. :p

Matt Skywalker likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I can't say I'm particularly enthused much about either project at this point:
    • Aftermath: Still know too little about it.
    • Shattered Empire: Wake me up when we know the writer and artist.

14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    will there be shattered empire novels to? Or just comics?

15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Shattered Empire is the title of the "Journey to The Force Awakens" comics. So will there be novels with that title? No. Will there be novels in a similar vein? Probably, at some point.

JediMatteus and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Posting this for two reasons:

1. It's awesome.
    2. It also conjures that twin sunset scene so damn well.

17. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    That really is very nicely done! Thanks for sharing, JB!

18. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    YOOOOOOOOOOOOO

JUST SWINGING BY TO DUMP MY TUMBLR-FUELED POST-TFA-TEASER-PART-DEUX FANGIRL LOVE ON THIS THREAD

[​IMG]

*PTERODACTYL SCREECH*

[​IMG]

*cartwheels away*

19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I can't wait to see you all meltdown when it turns out that's not actually Luke.

:p

20. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It's quite some hand they gave him for sure.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  22. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Yep, my reaction to that trailer shot was a big, "Hell yeah, Luke's back!"

I really like the aesthetics of the new hand while being hooded like Obi-Wan was in ANH. It gives Luke a bit more of a dangerous edge.

ThreadSketch, Jedi Ben and Iron_lord like this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Look at that!

Luke is clearly not a bad guy in this teaser. The gesture we see is affectionately and the Luke in the voiceover is not an evil Luke either.

24. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I know, this all was seriously my favorite part of the whole thing. Hearing his voice remastered so beautifully and seeing the Brobot moment there...just...just excuse me, I'll be over here...:_|:_|:_|

Revanfan1, Jedi Ben and Darth_Pevra like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Now the boards are actually working again....

Yep, that was so cool. The whole trailer really worked well to blow away the doom 'n' gloom rumour-mongering that's been a plague for the last year or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.