main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I think it would be needlessly confusing to rename them if the tales are basically the same. I don't see the point, really.

And I also think that your description is a bit reductionist, I mean you could write several different plots on that basis.

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, I think the ST would have one major advantage over LOTF if that's the direction they go in no matter what: Kylo Ren (or whoever it is) would not be a well-established character who had had 19 books of a hero's journey demonstrating in no uncertain terms that making him a Sith would be a nonsensical and terrible idea.

quinlan solo, JediMara77 and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

[​IMG]

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    In a nutshell it may be the same, but that's really nitpicking.

That could literally be the only similarity in the story. For all we know, Kylo Ren has been an evil little snot-nosed jerk since he was born. And we know lots of details are completely different (for one, we're not even sure Rey is related and even if she is it certainly doesn't seem she knows it). Though some of the broader strokes may be the same, I think it will by and large be a completely different story.

Oh, and at least if the ST basically is LOTF...the SW franchise can be the one franchise in existence where the movies are better than the books they're adapted from. [face_mischief]

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I wouldn't want another family punch-up in SW, been there, done that, got T-shirt, lightsabered the hamster!

ChildOfWinds and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well, then you'll be happy to know there will be these anthology thingies coming up. The episodes will probably continue with mythological themes, and those more often than not have to do with blood killing blood or having perverted sex with your blood relative. Since there won't be a lot of perverted sex in the sequels, we'll get the violence part.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You know given the choice between pervo sex and sand soliloquies, I'd likely go with the former for the PT.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well, at least Zeus' escapades were never boring, with all the turning into a white bull and such.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Zeus was still complete arse and can go **** himself.

10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    To avoid spoilers.

To not pay royalties.

The list goes on.

:)

11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The problem with that logic is, they pretty much have the right to do whatever the heck they wanted. As far as I know, they own the names, so there is really no point other than intentionally being different.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Which is entirely a valid reason. I fully expect it to be LOTF, though.

13. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    If that is the case, then I really will want to have nothing to do with this new canon.

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Did you ever intend to? Serious question.

The real question is whether Kylo is the Master or the Apprentice.

15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    If the ST is something good, preferably something in the vein of the NJO that moves the universe forward beyond the OT galaxy, I might consider giving the new canon a try. Though, when the two most likely options at this point are either an ANH rehash or a LotF rehash, I don't really see any reason to bother with the new canon.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Even retellings of the movies can contain new stuff - the recently announced junior novelizations, for example, seem to have the occasional bonus scene.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i hope your right but the new novels, overall are nothing great, and the rumors of the films worry me.

Abadacus likes this.
  18. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Considering the few things we know for certain about the universe during the ST time period, I think it's safe to say the movie won't be a retelling of ANH or LotF. The universe is just too different from what we had during the OT or the EU. Which, IMO, is a good thing.

Jedi Ben, Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    It won't be a retelling of ANH, or a LOTF rehash. Things are completely different and even if a few details end up being similar, the story will be by and large very different, I think. You don't have anything to worry about on that score.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Other than the Battle of Jakku a year after the Battle of Endor and the Resistance and the First Order, we know next to nothing. The Resistance and the First Order seriously make me believe this is nothing more than a retelling of ANH.

21. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    Yeah, the rumors haven't been good on that part. If I'm being pessimistic (hah) I'd predict that Abrams firing Arndt and taking over the script himself will be the point we look back on to say "this is where things went wrong".
    We have a secret message in a cute droid, received by our hero on a Desert Planet, then an escape from Imperial custody and meeting Han Solo (ANH in only slightly different order), then First Order Snowtroopers on an Ice Planet - with rumors of big walkers - and the hero confronting the villain, but failing (ESB); if the obvious-seeming rumors are true, that's down to the "I am your [blank]" reveal.
    I'm sure there will be plenty of 'clever twists', turnarounds, b-plots and bombastic action sequences thrown in to spice it up, but the basic structure seems predictably predictable.

JediMatteus likes this.
  22. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The way Abrams Trek basically just ended up being The Wrath of Khan remakes makes me worry about Arndt no longer being involved.

Abadacus and JediMatteus like this.
  23. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    It's a good thing all those things are rumors, not actually confirmed.

And it looks like I'll need to bow out of this thread permanently now if we're talking about rumors like they're fact.:p

Jedi Ben and Abadacus like this.
  24. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    And I'm so glad they're still just rumors. But at this point, the accuracy rate has been so high it's hard to discount all of them, and a lot of the basic structure we're noticing has been hinted at in the trailers and vanity fair shoot.
    I'm certainly not trying to bring you down - I need all the vicarious enthusiasm I can get at this point - but I feel like I'd be making a fool of myself if I still expected anything better from Abrams this time.

25. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I just have too many doubts about LFL and Abrams to be enthusiastic about this new canon. TCW leaves me with no faith in LFL, and Abrams Trek makes me doubt how well Abrams can deal with this.

Abadacus, JediMatteus and Gorefiend like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.