main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Decent Luke stuff in Star Wars #5, considering the spot he's in he's wracked with self doubt about his Jedi gig. And good to see the Tusken raiders still know to flee when they see that damn blue lightsaber. Next issue should be reallllly interesting considering who Luke has to go up against. Now ESB / ROTJ Luke could easily handle it but a blinded post ANH Luke should be fun (however he did also take out the targeting remote with his eyes covered so he should have a good chance at it.)

Iron_lord and ChildOfWinds like this.
  2. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
  3. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    BOTHER BOTHER BOTHER BOTHER BOTHER!!! Just got done reading "Heir to the Jedi." Was hopeful that Nakari would be the new Mara Jade. Yeah, wanna say something other than that above, but this is a family friendly site, right?

Good book, easy read, though.

ChildOfWinds and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Use substitutions? Frack, frell, gruddamn will fit!

5. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I just finished reading Star Wars #5 too. You're right that the next issue should be quite interesting. Good point though about Luke being able to take out the remote with the shield over his eyes, so maybe he will be relying on the force to get himself out of his current really bad predicament. Should be fun!

I will say that the characters in these comics do continue to "sound very much like the characters from the films. I can "hear" Han, Luke, and Leia saying these lines, so the dialogue seems true to the characters.

6. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Did not like heir to the Jedi all that much 6/10 for me.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't think I'ma gonna get around to Heir to the Jedi but I figure / heard it takes place before Marvel SW#1, how does Luke seem in between those two works. The way I see it in the Marvel Star Wars, he is very Jedi-ish but it's more bursts of inspiration (which I think works really well with ANH how he only uses the Force really in some tight spots ala turning off the targeting computer.) Ben has only talked to him once with simply "Run" and that's it (which, I will restate, #1 is my favourite cliffhanger of the whole Marvel run so far) He is "not a Jedi yet" or even near ESB but every once in awhile, it's there.

8. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    he does pretty well, and is shown as competent. But i just dont like much of the writing

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Why is that, JM?

10. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    it just does not feel right. Some of the language usage pulled me out of the fictional universe. But sometimes certain authors dont jive with me. everyone has their prefrences. I aslo felt that the first person voice of Luke did not sound like the real Luke. It did not have the characteristics. The best first person voice of Luke was found in Shadows of the Empire. I did not think this author's luke was really luke.

11. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    I really need to go back and finish that novel! I know I liked the part that I've already finished, but I only read about a third of it. I guess I don't want to finish it too soon, because who knows when there will be another book that features Luke?

This poor thread has been awfully quiet! :(

12. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Now it was a decent novel, and at least luke was respected and was treated well as a character. There are certainly bright spots. I just did not like it as much as I wanted to. I liked it better than the rest of the trilogy, but not saying much. As I did not like the trilogy . my favorite book so far in neu is New Dawn

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. Anemone

Anemone Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2015
    You mean you didn't enjoy such beautiful prose as "except for a courtesy veil of energy as sheer as a negligee" and "was she humming to herself? I couldn't hear it of course but I felt through the force it must be true"?

JediMatteus likes this.
  14. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
  15. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Congratulations, C! Good luck! I hope it will be very successful! :)

16. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Much-much improved from my early efforts! Thanks for your support during those years, CoW!

You'll get a free copy of any book of mine from now til death!

Just ask!

Mat Skywalker and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Can I get an amen?

Traviss's: the last bastion of good EU novels.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Play from point 4:45....

It makes no sense whatsoever but is cool.

19. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Rule 1: The Doctor lies.
    Rule 37: Never trust multiplayer content in a game with no story to make any sense whatsoever.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Got a strange sense of deja vu watching that, I'm sure I've taken out AT-ATs in that exact same fashion before....

TheRedBlade and Dante1120 like this.
  21. Dante1120

Sep 5, 2006
    We've never played the Battle of Hoth.

Ever.

22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Sure reads like a continuity error to me.

23. Dante1120

Sep 5, 2006
    It's not because there's no story. It's literally just for fun.

24. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    You're right, JB, it doesn't make any sense, but it does look pretty cool. It's kind of funny to see Luke out there in the snow in his Jedi outfit and no coat or anything. I guess you don't get cold when you have the force. So, how did Luke get to be a Jedi before the battle of Hoth anyway???

BigAl6ft6 and JediMatteus like this.
  25. Dante1120

Sep 5, 2006
    It's not meant to be taken literally. It's just a game mode, there's no story reason. If you're playing as Rebels you can use Luke Skywalker as a hero when certain conditions are met, and if you're an Imperial you can use Vader. The purpose is to get an advantage, as you can see those characters are much more powerful than your standard troop (as they should be).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.