main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Han is going to be background with the new cast taking forefront, picture him as the Obi Wan of the new group.

2. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Luke's spoken of reverentially and as a living legend in Weapon of the Jedi's framing scenes. He'll be treated with respect, that's how people will know how important he is.

3. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    We don't know that he's just going to be "background", MS. And even if he is, why can't Luke And Leia be background too?

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  4. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Let's put it this way, if Han is straight up leading the film then the creative team has no faith in their young blood cast. Any of the original actors could theoretically steal the limelight from the upcoming newbies but if that's so then you lose the audience in caring of the new generation. That does not seem to be the intention of TFA when it's 30 years later.And also Who is to say Luke and Leia are not in the background ?

5. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I think he's supposed to be a lead character WITH the young characters.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think it's not a pissing match between older and youths. Background doesn't equal ignored. Lack of time doesn't equal destroyed.

7. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Poe's role got reduced to allow for Han in TFA. I do think Han has more screen time and is more like the third lead behind Rey and Finn.

8. Dante1120

Sep 5, 2006
    No one said it's a pissing match, stop putting words in people's mouths.

And nothing I've read has indicated Han will be a lead character on par with the younger cast. He's only had one scene in the trailers as opposed to their many, and outside of the Smuggler's Run novel has had no tie-in merchandise.

Jedi Ben and Mat Skywalker like this.
  9. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    An anthology for any of the OT trio is unnecessary. They were already in the OT. But they chose to ignore that and give Han a spin off.. You're definitely never going to see a Leia spinoff even though her life could be even more exciting being part of the early rebellion. But you're not getting that. You're getting Han Solo meeting Chewbacca maybe?

10. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    Hard to get into without talking spoilers.

11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Han has more of a mysterious background than the other two, Han was working for the Imperials, met and freed Chewie and did odd jobs for Jabba and co before he met farmboy. That's a bit more dynamic than watching Leia become a princess or Luke working on a farm. It's not a surprise that Disney would go after a Han prequel alongside the Fett one.

Dante1120 likes this.
  12. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I shouldn't find it surprising that even when this thread has an awesome new Luke book with HUGE IMPLICATIONS for TFA, it devolves into more hand-wringing and pessimism.

13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    It's been like that since the last two incarnations, why change now ? :p

So Weapon of the Jedi is the new Mindor ?

Jedi Ben, Revanfan1 and Dante1120 like this.
  14. Dante1120

Sep 5, 2006
    I'd say so. It's solidified with Luke's ending in the book, which really does have fantastic implications for TFA (and I doubt Jason Fry would have included the scene if it wasn't going to be followed up on). Even if Luke's not on-screen that much, what he's likely to have accomplished is amazing.

15. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    I'd wager that Weapon is even better than Mindor, because it's all Luke and doesn't come with Stover's sometimes annoying prose. :p

Also, it doesn't help that Jessika Pava is basically me.

Mat Skywalker and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I'm gonna see if it's out by me or at the least at my library. Is Jessika a bit of a fan girl ?

17. Dante1120

Sep 5, 2006
    I wouldn't even say she's a bit of a fangirl, she is a full-blown fangirl.

Which is great because it shows that 30 years later Luke has legitimate fans.

Jedi Ben and Darth_Pevra like this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, Han is one of the stated leads in TFA, however that doesn't mean that Luke is swept under the rug. Realistically speaking, the people at LFL and Disney are definitely well aware that Luke Skywalker is the definitive hero of the saga, don't you doubt that.

Dante1120 and Mat Skywalker like this.
  19. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    The PT basically switched the sagas focus to Anakin. I don't think there's anything tying Disney to Luke as the definitive hero so long as the new characters are related to Anakin, that's all the magical force blood they need. And I do believe the ST will be focusing on Han Solo's children who in turn are related to Anakin via Leia. All that's required of Luke is to teach one of the new kids. Han is going to be the new patriarch of the next generation of Skywalkers.

20. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Yes, because the second trailer that used Luke's lines and centered the ability to use the Force on him (I have it) was mere coincidence.

21. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    Marketing is just that. We're also seeing Mark Hamill with the main cast at conventions and press stuff, doesn't mean that speaks to his role in the film. I think the extent of his role in the trilogy is to teach Rey. I really don't see them introducing anything that would be too confusing for new viewers which means I doubt he'll have any family and probably not a whole lot of progress between ROTJ and TFA in terms of the galaxy at large.

22. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    30 years is a long time to sit on one hands.

23. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    So teaching Rey isn't an important role? An X-Wing pilot in the TFA era basically worshipping him doesn't mean anything?

Okay.

Dante1120 and Mat Skywalker like this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This thread now:

[​IMG]

You all, with a handful of honourable exceptions, ought to be ashamed of yourselves!

Dante1120, Vthuil and Mat Skywalker like this.
  25. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    Teaching Rey basically puts him in the same limbo as Obi-Wan and Yoda in the OT, which is fine but we have already sen this story before and the same state of the galaxy/Jedi as ANH. I don't really need to see Luke is the recycled Obi Wan storyline.

For stuff he did 30 years ago? I mean, that doesn't mean a whole lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.