main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I doubt that Luke is just going to be Obi-wan 2.0

2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm done discussing Luke's role in TFA with people who haven't read the epilogue to Weapon of a Jedi. Or the whole book, for that matter.

Dante1120 likes this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I don't see how anybody can be negative about Luke when, as everyone's said, WOTJ is so awesome (I really need to read it!), and sets up such a great role for him in the future.

Mat Skywalker and Dante1120 like this.
  4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    New superman sucks anyway
    Need Tom Welling

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

5. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Unfortunately, this does seem to be the way things are going. I so want Luke to have a kid or two, but I really feel that I am going to be disappointed about that. It's rather disappointing that because Lucas didn't want Luke to be completely left out at the end of the OT when he decided to pair leia with Han instead if Luke, that he made Leia Luke's sister. That now means that the filmmakers can use her children as Skywalkers in future films and stories, and don't have to give any to Luke. That makes their job easier, of course, because then they don't need to come up with a character to be Luke's wife, and don't need to figure out a backstory for her. I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there won't be any kids for Luke... So, by not wanting Luke to be left out in RotJ, poor Luke may be left out of the chance to have a child, and then we won't have any kids of Luke to follow in future books and films when Luke is gone. :( . I truly hope I'm wrong about this!

I'm not sure that those lines from the teaser will even be in the film...

Just training Rey wouldn't be enough for me... It would be like Luke was training Rey to be the new, New Hope and take over Luke's job. I want to see Luke restore the Jedi order; not just train one student and then have that student restore the order. That would seem like Luke's legacy was being taken away from him and given to a new character instead... Yoda told Luke to pass on what he had learned. I took that to mean that Yoda was commissioning Luke ti rebuild the order. If Luke only teaches Rey, it will be like he us abdicating his responsibility and giving it to Rey instead. Thirty years have gone by, and we're still waiting to have more than one Jedi in the galaxy? I really wouldn't like that at all!

On the other hand, I'm glad to hear that someone seems to think highly of Luke... Hope that carries over into the film.

JediMatteus likes this.
  6. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    Child, in the book,

Luke vows to restore the Order.

No way they would have allowed that to be put in if it wasn't a thread to be followed up on.

Mat Skywalker and Darth_Pevra like this.
  7. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    I have a response to that, but I will send it to you in a PM, as the response might be a possible spoiler.

8. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I don't even think this book will hold that much weight in terms of the movie-verse. It's a kids book and while it had some neat stuff in it, none of it seems essential at all and they just aren't going to put a major plot point in a book for kids. This new canon is clearly just "sell some books to kids and put in a few easter eggs for the fans". It basically told us what we already expected - that Luke wants to rebuild the Jedi Order, which hello is kind of what we were thinking would happen for the last couple of decades after ROTJ and basically what Yoda explicitly told him to do before crapping out. That's not exactly a new or shocking development, it's just stating the incredibly obvious.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  9. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    I just wanted to make sure you were aware of that, really. It's given me a lot of faith in the direction of Luke in the film, as well as that picture of Luke from about a month ago. Hell, even the shot of him affectionately placing a hand on R2 gave me hope.

Mat Skywalker and Darth_Pevra like this.
  10. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    Really though, did anyone expect Luke not to train anyone? I think we all saw it coming that he would at least train Rey. The extend to which he's actually involved in rebuilding the Order itself going forward is a big question mark (and whether he'll be alive even to do so) and whether he really has anything to contribute in the new trilogy other than being Obi-Wan 2.0 with the same backstory.

11. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Personally, I want to see a small Jedi order at the beginning of TFA. I always took Yoda's words to pass on what you have learned to be Yoda's commissioning of Luke to rebuild the Jedi order. It will be very disappointing if Luke is still the only Jedi in TFA.

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, it definitely seems like we're getting a very small number of Jedi. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. We've seen the galaxy with a ton of Jedi, and we've seen the galaxy where the Jedi were extinct except for three (Luke, Ben, Yoda). Now we're going to see the galaxy where the Jedi get restored.

If he made this promise in Weapon of the Jedi, it's because the Story Group wanted it there. Which means it'll happen. Which means all of your worry is probably for nothing because I'd bet you'll be satisfied with the story by the end–if you'll let yourself be.

Mat Skywalker likes this.
  13. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Revanfan1, the problem is though,
    Luke did keep his vow, if the rumors are true. He did restore the Jedi order. Sadly, it was destroyed. So, there's no guarantee that we will see Luke restore the order in the ST. Will he train someone? Of course he will! I'm sure he will train Rey or Finn. We don't yet know whether that training will take place between TFA and episode Viii, or in episode Viii. For me, however, having Luke train just one person wouldn't be enough. That would be like Yoda training Luke. I don't consider Yoda to be the person who rebuilt the order just because he trained one person, Luke. Likewise, if Luke only trains one person, I won't consider him to be the founder of the new Jedi order either. That will be Rey or Finn or whoever successfully starts a group of Jedi... At least ten or so.

And, you're right that the PT had a large number of Jedi and the OT had only one or two per film. That's why I was hoping we would see at least a small order of ten to twelve at the beginning of TFA, showing that Luke had accepted and successfully achieved Yoda's commission. That's not likely to happen, and that leaves me very disappointed. We may not have more than two or three Jedi at the end of this trilogy, which would put things squarely the way they were in the OT. Where's the progress? What does Luke have to show for 32 years of his life, if the rumors are true?

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  14. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    If you really think the most powerful and wise force user in the universe has little or nothing to contribute your seriously mistaken, and so is Abrams

15. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    I think that deneuves would like to see Luke make an important contribution in the st, but is concerned that the way things seem to be goimg, that he isn't going to be allowed to make much of a contribution, that things seem to be getting more and more Solo-centric.

16. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015

Maybe in the old EU he was, but I'm not sure the new canon will be following the same train of thought on him.

JediMatteus likes this.
  17. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Then there idiots

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I am, at this point, inclined to invoke executive ownership and execute this thread to closed status.

And why? Because of this, from the opening post:

It is this no longer, instead becoming a hollow mockery of that aim!

One of you, whoever is so inclined, can of course start a thread of eternal doom, but at least it will not have my name on it.

19. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Get a grip Jedi Ben , seriously

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    OK then, you go and start the next version.

This one is done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.