main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Well, that escalated quickly.

JediMatteus likes this.
  2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah. I'm not going to say I was right or wrong there. I will say that I could have had a more measured response. But I do believe that if Luke is not portrayed as the most powerful and wisest Jedi in the galaxy, that is a failure by Abrams/ Disney.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

3. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I truly don't know what to say but I can't blame Jedi Ben for closing the original thread. I been on all three versions and while there was disappointment in Luke's portrayals there was at least some hope for the future. Despite some positive portrayals in recent times the thread had an ongoing view of negativity due to rumors of Luke's future portrayal. Perhaps we can try a more opmisitic approach, I'm not saying to not harbour any doubts for new Luke material but at least lets give the good stories and portrayals their due.

I miss the days when we actually like to discuss about the character

Revanfan1 and JediMatteus like this.
  4. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Your right. Lets start fresh. Lets not assume the worst. Their is hope. Just started Weapon of the Jedi , and I hear it's a very good Luke portrayal

Edit: I know there cannot be spoilers on this thread so I will be careful. WotJ really feels like Luke. Love how its written so far.

5. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007

Troy Denning?

6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    What do I want from Luke? his HttE personality, and a return of Mara Jade (Skywalker)

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I want Luke to show balance and wisdom trump 'raw power'.

8. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    ^ this and Luke showing a little bit of raw power used in creative ways, not necessarily for attack but like when he rebuilded Vader's fortress telekinetically or Force cushioned a Star Destroyer down.

Revanfan1 and JediMatteus like this.
  9. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    @ Cushing's Admirer

This might surprise you, but I'm fine with that as long as we get the force unleashed moments from time to time.

10. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Force unleashed gave us Garm Bel Iblis, Juno Eclipse, young Leia, and Rahm Kota, which was good. But it also gave us Starkiller and more Boba Fett, which was bad.

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    No it doesn't JM and that is precisely what I don't want. It simply perpetuates a very dangerous idea.

Dra--- likes this.
  12. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Just read the last few pages of the old thread and wow. As someone who was posting a few times back in the old 2.0 I've been out of the loop for a while and haven't caught up on much of the new canon, but in the spirit of the Internet I'm going to offer my opinion anyway

Until TFA comes out, remain hopeful! We don't know, other than rumour and conjecture, how Luke will be portrayed. It could be he's heavily involved and the marketing is designed to get people used to the new guys as opposed to people they're already going to know and love. It could be he sits out of this one mostly but will get more focus later on in a different Ep, like the loosely grouped Han/Leia/Luke novels that just came out. Personally, I'd like him to be the wise and powerful Jedi master he was becoming/became in the old eu. But in making him that he would have to sit out for a bit. Otherwise people would complain that the villain isn't a threat, or that if he can go toe to toe with Luke, the villain is overpowered. I'm hazarding a guess by saying rather Luke bing obi wan 2.0, he is yoda 2.0 in that he's off on the sideline for a while, but may have to protect a rookie Finn or Rey against Ren and then take on Snoke himself later

13. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    He'll probably be the only Jedi. So you will have your wish I guess...

14. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    Who has read the new Luke YA book? For those who have, how did you like the portrayal of Luke in it? I was uninterested in the Big Three YA books that just came out but I'm getting more and more interested in reading them. I wasn't super happy with the portrayal of Luke in Heir to the Jedi, but it wasn't awful or anything. Hopefully after TFA comes out we can get a post-ROTJ Luke novel. I'd love that.

15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

I certainly liked it a lot and Luke came across as very Luke. A nice person stuck in a situation he is not yet totally sure what to do about, but willing to give it his all.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Due props to JM for taking the hint and starting a new incarnation.

Two suggestions for it:

1. We don't talk about what happened to the previous version.
    2. We don't talk about what happened to the previous version.

Anyone who wants to see that can seek it out.

Mat Skywalker and JediMatteus like this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It is what everyone says it is - damn near perfect, my review over in the thread for it is linked to below:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...-must-be-tagged.50033326/page-2#post-52679903

18. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Yep I like what I have read so far in Weapon of the Jedi. It really captures who Luke is congrats . Also I heard the other two Novels with Han and Chewie, and Leia are good too.

Cushing's Admirer

What is wrong with Luke having a couple big force power scenes sprinkled in from time to time?

19. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Wasn't Garm Bel Iblis in DFR and Last Command?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Haven't yet got to those - Leia's next, as I know I'll likely enjoy the Han one as it's Rucka. Also Fry was also invoved on the Leia one too.

JediMatteus likes this.
  21. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Yeah, and then he basically disappeared from the EU again. TFU let us see him and the Corellian Treaty though. And for completeness sake, A New Hope gave us Leia, and the Holiday Special gave us Boba Fett.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  22. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Iblis featured in Isard's Revenge and the 'Hand of Thawn' duology too, ISTR.

23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    And of course, in that one issue of the good old HoloNet News website.

[​IMG]
    "No comment."

Gorefiend and Tim Battershell like this.
  24. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    anyone else read Weapon if the Jedi.so far it's a home run to me

25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I'm curious, while I'm reading Jedi Ben's review I wonder what the author captures so perfectly about Luke that a good 60-70% fail to comprehend or understand.