main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Thanks for restarting the SOS thread, JediMatteus. I really appreciate it! If it' s still possible to change the title to the original, the title is: SOS : Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker, V 4.

Actually, the SOS thread has pretty much always had quite a few negative posts, because it was started during the NJO, and many of Luke's characterizations and roles were pretty bad during much of the NJO. My friend, Who started the thread and went by the forum name "Skydancer", hoped that by talking about Luke's characterizations and roles, that we might demonstrate to authors that people cared about the character and wanted him to be handled well and with respect.

I wouldn't say that we were very successful about getting authors to portray Luke better and improve his roles, given some of the far worse stories that followed the NJO. However, we did get a great Luke characterization in the final book of the NJO, The Unifying Force, and we got survivor's Quest and the great Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. We probably didn't have anything to do with those great Luke books, but they were so wonderful to discuss because good Luke books have been so few and far between.

However, even though this SOS likely had no impact on the EU, it was a terrific thread for story discussion about Luke's role and portrayals in all of the books. Many of the discussions were really excellent, even if we hated Luke's characterization in a particular book. Many of us have been very long-time contributors to the SOS thread, which, I think is the oldest continuous thread in Lit. We were nearly shut down twice by a mod who thought of us as more of a "social club" and said that we went off topic too much. But it never went off-topic anymore than most threads do from time to time, and we weren't a social thread, though many of us had discussed Luke in the thread for a lot of years. So, it's rather sad that one of our own was actually the one to close that really long and interesting thread. JB has explained why he felt he had to do it, and while I don't agree with him, I have no choice but to accept his decision. He has been a good and respected friend over the years, and I don't see that changing. I am very sad about the loss of SOS version 3, but I'm grateful to JM for starting the new thread for us. It will probably never reach the post count that version 3 had, but at least we have a place where we can continue to discuss Luke Skywalker.

Hopefully, we'll get good Luke characterizations in the books and in the films, so that we have very positive comments that we can make.

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    CoW ask The2ndQuest . he will change the thread to what you want

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

3. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    JM, I think the request needs to come from you, as you are the thread's originator.

Well, I need to get busy reading weapon of a Jedi, so I can discuss it here!

JediMatteus likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thank you, that's appreciated. As to the previous thread, I'm sticking to the 2 rules I established earlier! ;)

So sure are you? It's been less than 24 hours and this is heading for 100 posts.

You do, however, as does everyone else, need to read Luke Skywalker: Weapon of a Jedi....Also recommended is Princess Leia: Moving Target....

Then we'll have good stuff to talk about....

JediMatteus likes this.
  5. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    This is the fourth version of the thread ChildOfWinds, I think it'll hit the number of pages/ posts will hit yet again ;)

6. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Han and Chewie novel I hear is awesome too

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It is, but no Luke! All 3 are a neat little set though.

8. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah ill get em on kindle.

9. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    My only issue came on the very end before the epilogue . otherwise I enjoyed it. To me that was the authors only mistake. No spoilers, so I let you all discover it

10. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015

I'm not sure Disney/LF agrees.

11. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    I asked The2ndQuest to change the thread title CoW, so well see if it happens .

12. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    And it's my opinion that this is very short sighted .

13. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    If Carrot is a dwarf, does that make Luke a Jawa?

14. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015

I just think you should prepare yourself for a future franchise without any characters with the Skywalker name.

15. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Am I alone? Am I the only one that sees this as a major lost opportunity by Disney to gain sales and interest ?

16. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    I just started reading it today. Couldn't read much as I have much studying to do.

JediMatteus likes this.
  17. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    I finished it. Fun book . not a lot to it, but fun

18. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015

I think they feel they can do the same with the Solo name, especially since they're investing in Han standalones too.

19. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Luke is the true hero of Star Wars, not Han

20. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015

Not according to AFI..

Either way, it's less about who was the hero of the past trilogy and more who they plan to invest in going forward.

Matthaeus Sunrider likes this.
  21. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Agreed, JM. SW without a Skywalker would be like SW without Jedi or Lightsabers!

22. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Sure, but should that not carry on from the ot? I guess it's just so disappointing to me. For the sake of Jedi Ben and the others I'm not going to be super negative, but stuff like this ....

23. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015

Except there would still be Skywalkers, just not in name. Basically they get to have their cake and eat it too by making the new heroes children of Han and Leia since they're still technically related to Anakin by blood but they'd also be direct descendants of their homeboy Han Solo.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008

25. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    That was the big question that Kathleen Kennedy asked JJ before he said yes she asked him "Who is Luke Skywalker?" JJ said that was the moment he decided that he wanted to carry on the story. I have no doubt that this new trilogy will be Luke and Force focused. In JJ. we trust!

JediMatteus likes this.