main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

My expectation is that the stuff for Luke between ROTJ and TFA will not be released until after VIII, maybe even after IX. It's not that they don't want to release it, it's just that they need to make sure A) nothing they release contradicts something that's going to be shown in VIII or IX so they want to wait as long as possible to ensure that doesn't happen or B) nothing they release spoils something that's going to be shown in VIII or IX so they want to wait as long as possible to ensure that doesn't happen. In 2-4 years, I expect to see material about Luke in those 30 years flooding the market. Until then? I'd either focus on something other than SW or learn to love other SW characters besides Luke and get invested in their stories, and accept that Luke stories will come, in time. That's what I'm having to do. It's a long process; I wish we had Luke stuff now. But I know they have reasons for holding it off.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Dr King from Django Unchained.

They're taking an awful risk here, it had better work.

3. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I don't know, Revanfan. The longer they wait, the less interest there will be in Luke, I fear. There already seem to be fewer and fewer Luke fans around. Plus, after episode ix, I'm certain they're going to want to focus on stories about the new characters, not the O T characters. I truly now wish that the OT characters would have been left out of the sequel trilogy. They should have set the story a hundred years in the future where their lives and legacies wouldn't have been impacted. All three of them have been given miserable lives with no lasting achievements after RotJ because of this new trilogy, and I'm terribly disappointed about that. My Star Wars interest seems to be diminishing daily.

4. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001

sorry, JB, but I have no idea who dr. King is, and I know absolutely nothing about DJango Unchained.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    www.google.com

6. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Luke fans won't go away with time. If anything, they'll increase. With what I believe he'll be doing in VIII and IX, it'll give the new fans a Gandalf type to look up to while reinforcing the older fans' enjoyment of Luke's characters. And even if I'm wrong, and Luke doesn't do anything particularly memorable (unlikely in the extreme), it's not like Luke's fans will go away. He might not gain a bunch, but it's not like he'll lose any. He'll retain his followers. Just look at Thrawn. Did Thrawn lose popularity with the Legends announcement? No, and after 2 years of waiting his fans are getting not only an appearance in Rebels but a book centered around him. And why do you expect them to do this for Thrawn, a character most casual fans have heard of, but not to do the same for Luke Skywalker, the original hero of the Saga. Answer: they will do it. It just requires patience.

[​IMG]

Just because they focus on the ST characters doesn't mean they won't focus on the OT characters too. Think about it. While the PT was coming out, they were still releasing NJO and DNT books. The idea that they won't focus on old characters even though they focus on new ones is a pessimistic assumption that will certainly not see fruition. There can be books about Luke and books about Rey at the same time. Plus, they've done the same with Rebels; they've focused on the characters in that show with some media and the OT and ST characters in other media. There will be Luke, Leia, Han, and Lando stories after VIII and IX are released. Not maybe. There will be. I'm prophesying it now.

And I'm not going to get into the trite old discussion of "they've got no achievements" because we both know each other's opinions at this point and neither one of us is going to convince the other, and I really don't want to get into it again because I don't want to argue. Just....trust me, okay?

ChildOfWinds and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    we did get Weapon of the Jedi. That was good Luke stuff. I think they want to flesh out the next two films before they start covering Luke in the last 10 years especially

Jedi Ben and Revanfan1 like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ok, played by Christoph Waltz, Dr King is a departure from villains, being instead a bounty hunter with no time for slavers in the civil war era. Django Unchained being a Tarantino film, he gets some truly excellent speeches and you can tell Waltz is really enjoying the role too.

9. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Thanks! So I take it this is a series and not just one film?

10. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I still have yet to do a review of Shattered Empire and the first two Star Wars trades....thats just way way overdue. :p I'm certain that they aren't planning to do any Luke Jedi stuff til after Episode 8 releases...we still have a lot of mystery to cover and Episode 8 is thriving on that.

As for now how about this in the meantime ? ;)

[​IMG]

11. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    so where can we get this?

12. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Wow! That's really lifelike! Luke looks pretty annoyed too. ;)

I wonder why poor Luke has that ugly hand? His other prothstetic was a whole lot more lifelike. You would think that in 30 years' time they would make improvements and not regress like that.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Sadly not, just one hugely fun film.

14. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah, its bigger, so i bet you get more dexterity and durability. But yeah t does come off as primitive. Maybe the knights of Ren cut it off, and because he exiled himself he had to make due.

15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Or perhaps he simply stopped the illusion of having a syntheic hand and opted for an old fashioned robotic hand. Anakin also had an old fashion one too.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah. Maybe he intentionally removed the synthflesh to remind himself of how his impulsiveness cost him. Maybe he did it after his students died, to give himself a visible reminder not to rush after vengeance.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  17. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    but Anakin having that was supposed to show the tech difference between the 2 eras. actually I don't think we cover the technological differences in eras well enough. its amazing how drastic our world has changed in the last 400 years. you don't see a lot of difference in years between old Republic and New Republic.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

There's likely no technological difference in Luke's OT hand and his ST hand. The synth-skin is just stripped off.

19. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Maybe his wife like him better with the robotic hand :p

20. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    I agree, Jm. I know that I was disappointed that there didn't seem to be ANY new technology or new ships in TFA. It's like they were at a standstill and there was no forward progress in technology, just like there was no forward progress in the story. In fact, the story was actually pretty much reset back to before ANew Hope. :(

Mat Skywalker, I would really like to think that Luke did have a wife, and that Rey is their daughter...

JediMatteus likes this.
  21. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    i am becoming more and more convinced that Rey is not related to Luke at all.

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Y'all are so depressing, you know that? :p

JediMara77, Mat Skywalker and Stymi like this.
  23. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed, the Jedi basically became myths and legends yet again after Endor, even though Luke was tasked with building a New Jedi Order.

JediMatteus likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So it was what, 10 students in a galaxy of trillions involved in an undertaking of years to do right? Yeah, not surprising the Jedi became so. To a degree they were that in the PT too, so very few and outnumbered in a galaxy that, in geographic terms, saw little of them.

However, in the PT, the Jedi clearly had the do-not-mess-with vibe that you see Shaolin monks possessing in martial films. They won't attack you, but if you attack them....

25. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    So you think she's not Luke's daughter or niece, but Rey random? Well, that would certainly be disappointing, and it wouldn't be a very satisfying conclusion to the skywalker saga. In fact, it would just seem to be a "tacked on" story. I think it would be awful to have the only new legacy character be a villain. It would make the Skywalkers a truly failed family who caused far more harm than good.

Also, if Rey is random, why not just give her a last name? Why not have her remember her parents? What difference would it make if they were just random nobodies anyway? And why make her past such a mystery? Why not just say that her parents died in a spaceship crash when she was a small child and she has been on her own ever since?

All I can say is that I feel it would be a terrible letdown and a huge missed opportunity if Rey is not related to Luke.

JediMatteus likes this.