main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I am really excited for Rogue One. We get to see At -At Walker sin action on the big screen for the first time since 1983. Darth Vader in actual action!!!! By the way Chirrut is a follower of the force. maybe not a jedi, but close. This is a war movie, so it might not be your cup of tea CoW, but to me this could even be better than TFA. I love the classic feel of it. I am glad they are focusing on time period that I grew up watching.

btw, NJO was still the best writing ever in Star Wars and nothing has changed that yet

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Right, let's tip you out of that all-too-comfy out-of-universe Chair of Ominiscence and throw you into the GFFA!

Your starter questions are:
    • Who was the last person to engage in massive militarisation?
    • What did he do with it?
    And then tell me why scaling back the military is bad for the NR in practical terms in the wake of a totally defeated Empire.

GFRthree likes this.
  3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Palpatine is the exact reason why I wouldn't want demilitarization, because even if the Empire is defeated, which I don't believe they are, people like him could come out of the woodwork at anytime and take advantage of any perceived weakness wrought from a reduction in military strength.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    With what? Sidious had to take over and then build up the Republic military to do what he did.

Politically, saying in the aftermath of defeating the Empire, that you're keeping it intact completely sends the wrong message entirely.

I'm starting to think you're the kind of person who'd be gloating over the Starkiller holocausts going 'told you so', before getting your head ripped off by a really pissed off Wookiee.

EDIT: Nor is it total demilitarisation, there remains a Republic fleet. Even if it had been bigger, what practical use would it have been against a terror weapon like the Starkiller?

5. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    TFA is not a mess. the 3rd or fourth best star wars movie out there.

6. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I agree and with the whole Jacen vs Jaina stuff it went down.

JediMatteus likes this.
  7. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I was never an NJO fan, though the final book in the series was really good. I don't think the jaina and jacen stuff happened in the NJO, right? I think that came later, and I really hated it. I hope that's not what the filmmakers are going to end up goving us in the sequel trilogy.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, they're missing a relation for their death duel if so..... [face_devil]

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Right, positive news, new Thrawn covers:

[​IMG]

ChildOfWinds and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    So they're reprinting the books even though they're not canon?

11. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    As far as I know, they said they would reprint Legends novels as long as there is demand for it. I think this means they will still reprint at least the more popular novels.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yup, reprints with Legends tag.

Clearly it is thought there will be an audience for them.

13. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Well, that's good news, I guess, but I wish that those books were still canon. So far, I like them better than I like the new canon....

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I suspect the thinking is also that Thrawn's Rebels appearance will spike sales in the now Legends tales.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Exactly, which is why I am not looking forward to Thrawn in Rebels. The iconic characters and events of the EU alongside the Saga made Star Wars special to me. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the new canon, TFA and the direction it led the universe after Endor isn't iconic. All I see is pretty much the most cynical take on the universe possible, short of there not even being a New Republic. Thrawn is more than just a name, an aesthetic, and a set of traits, without the events of the EU, he just isn't Thrawn.

16. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    My department had a cookout social yesterday to welcome the new semester, I was talking to one of the incoming first-year grad students about reading books for pleasure and out of the blue, with me not having mentioned Star Wars at all, she says, "Have you ever read the Star Wars Expanded Universe? I absolutely love Tim Zahn. He organized the Star Wars universe so well and laid such a great foundation for everything that comes after. All his stuff should still be canon."

It was incredibly surreal.

17. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Well, this poor thread seems to have died. It seems that there are fewer and fewer Luke fans these days. I think most Luke fans have pretty much given up hope that we'll get anything good or positive for Luke in either the films or books. Almost everyone's speculation now seems to be that Rey is a Solo (except for a few who believe she's a random.) Luke seems to mostly be left out of most conversations these days as fairly irrelevant ( except for a few Ben/kylo fans who hope to find out there's a twist that Luke is at least partially responsible for the deaths of his Jedi students, so Ben seems less guilty and more sympathetic. Don't have a rolling eyes option available on this iPad, but consider one inserted here.)

If Rey IS a Solo, at least that would be better than a random, but I know that I will be very disappointed. Having Rey be a solo will make the solo family paramount, with Rey and Ben/kylo Solo siblings and Han and Leia important and forever part of the Star Wars story as their parents and the likely ancestors of all the future heroes and maybe villains of the future Star Wars saga. That sort of leaves Luke on the outside looking in, and diminishes his importance. Having Rey be a solo really does mean that Luke gets nothing. His Jedi order was destroyed; his nephew fell on his watch; 30 years of his life were a total waste; he spent at least six years of his life totally alone; he never found the love of his life or had kids; and he will have no descendants. It will be a pretty sad life and a pretty bad ending for Luke. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be many who care what happens with Luke anymore. :(

18. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    You obviously haven't been to a convention lately. There are still tons of Luke fans around. Perhaps you missed the fact that Salt Lake City Comic Con had a special event for Mark Hamill in an arena so they could fit in as many people as possible?

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't see the lack of thread activity to be based on that, rather it's that there isn't much to talk about.

Ep 8 info tends to go closer to spoilerz territory so belongs in the ep 8 thread, not here - so that's one strand closed down. What we can say here is that ep 8 is going to be pivotal for what they're doing with Luke.

Books with Luke in? Er..... Don't have many, what we've had was great but it was some time ago now.

Comics? Marvel are doing some good things with OT Luke, the most recent arc has him, Han and Leia taking over a Star Destroyer, not sure when I'll get to that as OHC2 isn't set for the Star Wars series. I'm also convinced there will be a Luke miniseries at some point.

EDIT: IF this thread is to become more active again then I think it needs to learn a lesson from the H&L thread. Both threads have a good few things in common, but there is a key difference: I don't feel that the H&L thread is dominated by the negative aspects in the way this one has become.

There are certainly aspects of the new material that the H&L thread, on a collective basis, would agree they have definite disagreements with, but it's also recognised those have happened - Han got killed by his son - and that's not changing. There's all the difference in the world between not liking a corporate decision - which is what much of the ST is going to be in part, Disney are really going for the multimedia angle - and giving that decision massive negative influence over what you think and feel. I'd say the H&L thread goes far more towards the former, this one the latter, to its detriment.

In short, if the H&L thread can be more positive and welcoming, even with a dead Han Solo, we ought to be able to do at least as well with a live Luke Skywalker.

20. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001

Well, maybe if there were ever any POSITIVE rumors for Luke, or Luke was involved in a good book story, or Luke had a great backstory between RotJ and TFA, maybe there would be something positive and hopeful to talk about. Sheesh! If Luke would even have had a role in TFA, we would have something to talk about and would know what Luke is like 30 years after we last saw him. However, we only saw him for less than a minute, and he looked broken, sad, and miserable. How do you say something positive about that?

Han and Leia fans have more to be positive about. They at least got to see them in TFA. They got the novel Bloodlines, which was a good Leia book, and gave some insight into the 30 years between trilogies for them, and Han and Leia obviously had some wonderful times during those years, despite some time apart. Han and Leia obviously loved one another. And, it looks like Rey may be their daughter. So, there are many positives for them, despite the awful fact that Han is gone.

What about Luke? It looks like he never married or had a family. He seems to have spent most of his life alone. His life's work was destroyed, and he lost his nephew to the dark side. He doesn't seem to have spent much time with Han and Leia or with any friends he had from the rebellion. So, exactly what is there to be happy about for Luke?

Yes, he's still alive, but to tell you the truth, I would rather that he would have died an heroic death in TFA *IF* it would have meant that he was allowed to successfully have started that new Jedi Order prior to TFA without it being destroyed, and if he would have had a kid that I could follow into future stories, rather than what I got. Because basically, I got nothing. Luke really wasn't in TFA. Luke apparently never had a family. Luke 's Jedi Order was a failure. Luke is living the solitary life of a hermit. I never wanted to see any of that for Luke. Luke basically has no personal legacy and no professional legacy. So what is there to be positive about? Unfortunately, I'm afraid that most of us Luke fans have pretty much given up hope of getting anything positive for Luke anymore. This trilogy is about the new generation. I don't see them giving Luke the huge arc that it would take to even slightly fix the damage that was done to the character. Believe me, I WISH that I could be positive! I still HOPE that by some miracle the filmmakers can surprise me and turn this around for Luke. But, it would certainly be great to hear something positive . That would really help.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And that post is a great example of how to continue the tendency of the thread to date....

This thread is a room painted black with the curtains drawn - also black. It's dark and dingy and you wonder why people aren't coming in to post?

What we do have of Luke in the new material is practically a living saint whose only really weakness was trusting people too much - is that such a bad thing?

Jedi Jessy, unicorn and Revanfan1 like this.
  22. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001

I guess I haven't read anything where Luke was portrayed as "practically a living saint". Where does this characterization occur, because I really want to read it!

I doubt that it's the so called negativity that keeps people from posting here. There is practically NOTHING to talk about with regard to Luke unless you go back to the OT films or the old EU. Luke is practically non-existent in everything. That's my theory about why no one is posting here anymore. AND, many have simply left. I notice that Matt Skywalker has given up. Jedi Matteus posts only now and then, and he is usually as positive as possible. So, I disagree with your reason, JB. If someone has something positive to say about Luke, why don't they say it?

And can you really deny that anything that I said in my previous post was wrong?

23. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    People aren't posting here because no content about Luke. This thread rises more when we get more information from Endor-TFA (as all we got is aftermath trilogy, bloodline, shattered empire and poe dameron, and only 2 of these mentioned only has SOME content about luke), and after episode 8 when we definitely will see him.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wait until Empire's End or whatever the next SW comic is.

25. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Luke hasn't appeared in aftermath, I doubt he will in empire's end, nor any comic series aside from shattered empire. We're just going to have to wait for a new comic series or a new book to be announced, because the current ongoing comics/books won't give much Luke info Endor-TFA.