main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The negativity doesn't help. Soon as anything positive is mentioned it gets shot down fast. I could mention this or that example and you'd likely say it doesn't matter because of later events. (You've already decided TFA renders both Death Star victories pointless which I absolutely don't accept.)

As to the post-ROTJ portraits, the main one is Bloodline COW - also referred to in Aftermath, oh, wait, you've decided not to even look at either because you remain cheesed off about TFA. Shattered Empire has a damn fine Luke too.

The picture you paint in your previous post is not so much wrong as incomplete. From most accounts there is only one dude in TFA who really knows what is going on and why, Luke. Ep 8 is going to have a lot to do to make it all work, but it's not impossible, especially given how few puzzle pieces are actually known about. And there's still another film to go.

As to how he was looking at the end of TFA, well, let's see - one his best friends is dead and the galaxy is hellbent towards heading back to the stupidity that he, Han and Leia got it away from - war. He's not supposed to be happy clappy is he?

What I suspect is going to happen, is that, once more, Luke will re-gift freedom to the galaxy by dealing with both Snoke and Kylo. He's only in his mid-50s, plenty of time remains to him. So why are you and others so quick to write Luke off?

If I need reason to not watch TFA until the other films are out, this thread provides ample reason for why going the long route is better.

unicorn, Force Smuggler and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    The lack of posts has nothing to do with Luke losing fans.. It is very obvious if you've kept track of, and read the content between Endor-TFA, it is because there simply isn't much new content on Luke just yet. That comes later.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's not a matter of losing fans - see JM77's post- but posters to this thread.

If it's purely down to info, or the lack of, then why is H&L, a thread of similar nature, as active as it is?

You can point to Life Debt, Bloodline and the Han comic mini but of those, only the Han mini is still active and the comics have Luke in, so could be talked of. Why aren't they?

It's likely Rogue One will amplify the significance of the Yavin victory that Luke scores, but I doubt that will be accepted here.

unicorn and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Honestly, I don't post in this thread very often because I find it so depressing. Every time I want to talk about fun Luke stuff, or some tidbits about VIII (like Mark Hamill saying at at SLCCC that he's involved in an intense action sequence), it gets drowned out by negativity. I'd rather talk about Luke on Twitter with people who are excited about the new movies.

That said, if anyone wants to talk about that action sequence, here's my contribution: EEEEEEEEEEE.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Cool, the last couple of hours aren't a total loss then.:cool:

6. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001

Luke gets an ACTION SEQUENCE??? Really??? Does that mean he gets to leave that island, or does it take place on the island?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001

To answer your question about the Han and Leia thread, first of all, there seem to be a whole lot more Han and Leia fans on this Force.net forum than Luke fans. But they also have the advantage of actually having Leia and Han in TFA, AND Han and Leia (especially Leia) have been in books. I have almost finished Bloodliine and I do have Life Debt, but haven't read it yet. I haven't read the comics. So right now, I don't have anything new to discuss about Luke at all. Han and Leia fans do. Plus, they have Han and Leia's son to discuss, AND it's also likely that Rey is Han and Leia's daughter. All of that can give them many topics to discuss. With Luke, not really.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You are aware that being a Luke and H/L fan aren't mutually exclusive? ;)

I'd like to think you'd enjoy the comics, there's some encouraging comments about current and recent arcs, yet at the same time part of me suspects you'll undermine your enjoyment by looking to Luke's unresolved future.

unicorn and Revanfan1 like this.
  9. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001

Of course they're not mutually exclusive. I am a Han and Leia fan too. But let's face it, most people have their preferences. Mine is Luke and for most of the people who post in the Han and Leia thread, Han and Leia are theirs. It does seem that there are more Han and Leia first fans on this Force.net forum than Luke first fans. At least among the fairly regular posters.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

OK, I tried, I'm giving up now.

[​IMG]

11. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    I'm going to take a wild guess but maybe it's more H/L because we got a book focusing much on that, much of it in TFA, etc. In other words actual content and not a slight sneak peak and some apperance in a comic issue or two.

12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    That is my problem, I am simply not excited about the new canon. TFA finished breaking my interest in Star Wars after the post-NJO and television started the process. I don't have something positive to add about Luke or Han and Leia, because from my point of view the Heroes of Yavin simply were not handled properly.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, this...this is why I don't post in this thread. Not lack of interest or anything, but...posting anything positive is basically pointless because we get a few responses: "Oh, cool!" "Well, I guess that's okay, but it's not enough." "But that doesn't change the fact that..." and of course "The new stuff doesn't interest me." [face_plain]

unicorn and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    I can't help the way I feel. Am I supposed to lie and say that everything seems wonderful and I love everything about the new film and the New EU and that I'm thrilled and excited about the direction that the filmmakers have taken, if I really don't? When I see something good, I'll be very happy to make positive comments. This news about Luke having an action sequence in the next film does interest me, and give me hope, for example. Is this an actual fact about the next film, or just a rumor/ possibility?

15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

No, you shouldn't lie, but when someone says something like "Luke supposedly gets an action scene" your first reaction doesn't have to be intermingled with "but wait, does he even get to leave the island?"

Jedi Ben and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    CoW, if you look outside these forums, I think you'll find that the prevailing opinion is not that Rey Solo is "likely" - quite the opposite in fact.

It's no coincidence that in Bloodlines it makes clear that Luke guards his privacy. It is so they can fill in that content later, and are keeping their powder dry on Luke until Ep 8 for whatever reveal that will take place in that film.

Revanfan1 and ChildOfWinds like this.
  17. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

While I do have some severe misgivings about TFA and the new canon, I'm looking forward to seeing Luke ROFLstomping people. I mean, if Ben is the leader of the Knights of Ren, they are in for a rude awakening (LOL) as to what true power is. [face_laugh]

18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, everyone I know thinks Rey is a Skywalker, not a Solo.

19. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016

I think that's due to people thinking that it would miss the point of the saga (for some reason) to have her be anything but a Skywalker.

20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

...not really. No.

I'm talking about casual fans who literally care nothing about "the point of the saga," they just enjoy the movies, and they came away saying "I bet she's Luke's daughter."

Darth Basin likes this.
  21. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016

Seeing her be someone that's unrelated to the Skywalkers would be interesting though.

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I mean, I guess it could be, if done right. I'd personally love her to be Luke's daughter but I'm okay with basically whatever they do.

23. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The major problem is that until Episode VIII comes out (maybe even later), Luke is basically off-limits. There isn't a post-RotJ time period anymore, its OT-era (where most Luke stories still have him as farmboy mainly, and I have no idea if we've gotten any post-Dagobah Luke stories in new canon yet), then pre-TFA.

Shattered Empire Luke is ok, but that was just one comic issue. A lot of pre-TFA stuff is still mysterious (probably due to them going to fill in Kylo Ren's background later, and that relates to Luke too of course). I don't think Luke has played any role in the Aftermath novels, and of course Luke doesn't appear in Bloodlines either (though the references to him are quite good).

It would be nice to see Luke on a few more missions post-RotJ (like Shattered Empire showed), but... I'm not optimistic. Doesn't help that by the time of Bloodlines Luke is basically a legendary, mythical figure, rather than a living one. He's basically off with Ben (and presumably some other Jedi students), somewhere, doing... something.

In another year or so all the media will start gearing up for VIII, so maybe then we'll get more glimpses of Luke... or maybe not. Don't think we've gotten any post-TFA stories yet, probably to maintain the "suspense"of that last scene from TFA, so until then Jedi Luke will probably remain more of a plot device/destination rather than a character. And don't much care for the main Star Wars comic (how many times has Luke been knocked unconscious? Then again, you can't expect much else from him at that stage of his life).

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think what frustrates people - I know it does me - is we try to give you something good to hold on, granted there's not much right now in terms of known info, but it seems like you don't want it, which then suggests you want to stay feeling lousy, which I can't really buy but if you really want to stay in a hole I can't really get you out of it, I can only send down ropes for you to grab!

Well, why would Luke be that good in combat fighting without much in the way of training? Luke's got through his scrapes with a fair amount of luck, but I like the point that this is reflecting Yoda's comment about him being reckless, especially as we know Yoda is keeping an eye on him!

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  25. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Personally, I'm more excited for the first Episode VIII trailer than I am Rogue One. (And I'm super excited for Rogue One, don't get me wrong.) I think Celebration Orlando's "Chewie, we're home" moment is going to involve Luke, and I will stake money on that claim.

Also, I really don't know anybody who thinks Rey is a Solo. I know people who would like it to be true, but after Bloodline that speculation has died down. Most speculation I see is about her being a Skywalker, a Kenobi, a Palpatine, or unrelated to anybody.

Revanfan1 likes this.