main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Why can't we have both Han and Luke?

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Agreed.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  3. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Well, technically we got both Ron and Hermione in the HP movies but clearly the balance was rather shifted during the adaptation process. We got both Wolverine and Cyclops in the X-Men movies too. Seen way too many cases of this to be that optimistic.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    There is obviously room for multiple stars, I only hope Disney and co agree

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Ugh. Ron got the shaft so many times.
    End of HBP. What the heck was that?
    The Mudblood explanation in COS.
    Standing up to Sirius in POA.
    Heck. Hermione was doing Harry stuff too. The Dragon in DH.

6. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015

Umm yeah, I think being a Harry Potter and ASOIAF fan has pretty much told me to never put too much faith into the people who run these franchises. These people have their favorites and will be blatantly obvious about it, and do not care what fans think. And still, publicly they claim to appreciate all the characters, but I think that's always to be taken with a grain of salt when you look at what actually makes it to the screen.

7. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    True. Real star wars fans are too few to take seriously . just please the masses

8. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Actually, the question was " who is Luke Skywalker?" Luke may not even even really be in Jj's film, but if rumors are correct, with the background story that seems to have been written for Luke by Abrams, I'm not sure I'm going to like the answer...

Yes, it sounds like weapon of a Jedi is a great little book. I started to read it yesterday and I'm enjoying it so far. The problem is that this book takes place soon after a new hope ended, so it doesn't tell us much about what Luke will be portrayed like about 35 years later. And just because one Han fan has nailed Luke and given us a good Luke portrayal and role doesn't mean that this will be true of all Han fans.

I guess I just find it disappointing that with so many people important to the production of the new films, books, and animated series that NO ONE mentions that he/she is a Luke fan, but all have said they are huge Han fans. And, the bias does seem to be showing. Han is said to be one of the LEADS in TFA. He seems to be more important to the story and has more screentime than even the third young character, Poe Dameron. He has at least one spinoff in the works. I know that folks say that his background is more interesting than Luke's, but why can't we get an adventure of Luke's that takes place soon after RotJ?

If only Han and Leia end up having kids and Luke is given none, as seems may be the case, when the day comes that the big three are all dead, it will be solo kids that we will be following on future adventures, and not Skywalker kids. Luke will be soon forgotten, both by characters in the films and fans, while Han and Leia will live on through their kids. There doesn't seem to be anyone involved in the films who will speak up for Luke and remind others that Luke should have a legacy too, because all seem to be Han-focused.

I truly hope I'm wrong, because otherwise, I may not enjoy TFA, and I may not enjoy any of the future films, books, or animated stories as both Luke and his legacy may be squeezed out of Star Wars, while the solo influence is greatly expanded.

Well, if the rumors are correct, you can't say that it's "patently untrue " that they will make Han a star and give Luke the short end if the stick, because they seem to be doing EXACTLY that in TFA. Han has massive screen time and has been called one of the main leads by everyone. Luke, on the other hand, has only a cameo at the end and in a flashback. It certainly does seem like the two are being treated differently... I know that folks say that this is because this may be han's only film and Luke will have a much better role in the next one. However, we really don't know that either of those things is true. In the announcement about the upcoming filming on skellig, ford's name is listed as one of those expected to be reprising his role. Was that a mistake? Who knows... And most of the Jedi training could take place between films, so Luke wouldn't be needed. I can't see them giving Luke a role that would take any "thunder" away from new characters, especially after they've been trained and have gained experience.

Again, I hope the filmmakers will surprise me and have a wonderful role and characterization planned for Luke, but at this point, I remain quite concerned.

Abadacus likes this.
  9. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Wotj was good, but one phrase at the end made it a little sour for me. CoW will notice it I think

10. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    I think the litmus tests will be:

If they accept that Luke is the son of 'The Chosen One' and has equivalent strength in the Force to his father (as I believe was stated by GL) and

If they accept that Luke is (was trained to be) a Jedi Warrior, not some form of Jedi Mystic.

11. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Sure. But he should be beyond just a warrior by now .

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Which is an equally exciting question, though...

But it has serious implications for the future, especially what Luke thinks about at the end of the book.

I think the reason no one ever says "I'm a Luke fan" is because it doesn't need to be said. Almost everyone is a Luke fan, because he's the kind of person one can sympathize with. Han is more ostentatious and he's not the main character of the OT, which is why people mention him more, but that doesn't mean they're still not Luke fans too.

As to Han having such a major role...well...we can't talk about that here.

A Luke adventure soon after ROTJ would be awesome, and I think we will get that very soon. But keep in mind, the Han and Leia books were both pre-ROTJ, as well. It's not like Luke got excluded in that regard. His story takes place around the same time as Han's does and Leia's is the only one that's post-ESB. I have no doubt we'll get post-ROTJ stories for them at some point probably after VII is released.

Luke will not be forgotten, I promise you that. There's no need to be so pessimistic. WOTJ indicates that Luke is literally a legend to the Resistance. He won't be forgotten in-universe. And the fandom won't ever forget him; that's a silly thought. And we still don't know that Luke doesn't get a legacy. One of the kids could be his or his kid could even be introduced in VIII.

Trust me, it isn't nearly as bad as you're fearing. I'm certain of it. And you say "Solo influence" like it's a bad thing. You may not like Han, but it's hardly a bad thing if his character's influence sphere expands. There's more than enough room for both him and Luke.

We can't talk about TFA spoilers outside of that thread, so I can't respond to this, but I would say that I disagree and I'd be happy to talk about it if you want to PM me. :)

Ah, it just seems worse now because we don't have the whole story. Trust me.

13. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Leia novel moving targets is good so far. Good to see her in action . Luke is in it some

Revanfan1 likes this.
  14. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    It's post-ESB, so how is Luke? Recovering from his injuries? Back with the Rogues?

15. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    He seems to have some issues . I think he is scarred a bit from the big reveal in esb.

16. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Seems reasonable.

17. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    Oh to get a definitive look at Luke in between Empire and Jedi the emotional turmoil that he has to come to grips with before he goes after Han. That would be a great story. Maybe he ends up on a journey much like Yoda's at the end of the Clone Wars series. Or like Ezra's journey in the Path of the Jedi episode of Rebels. That's where he could find the green crystal for his lightsaber and then he can go back to Tatooine and build his new lightsaber.

18. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Just edit Shadows of the Empire and add it to canon

Cheerios4u98 likes this.
  19. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    I think Luke can have a legacy in this ST and maybe the film following that but if Disney plans on making these films as long as I think they do, that will most likely be over by 10-12 while I do think there will be continued descendants of Rey to continue in further material.

JediMatteus likes this.
  20. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    Also the fandom that grew up with Luke is aging and is not the target demo anymore. Eventually the fandom will forget.

21. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    ok, but Luke is only 53ish. He is the lasdt of the jedi. He should have a bigger role than Yoda, as his role is much more crucial

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope, because Carrot was only raised by dwarves, he's about a 6' 2" human. Might be off by a couple of inches.

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    As Carrot puts it in The Fifth Elephant:

"You have to understand, sir, that there's a sort of big debate going on," said Carrot. "On how you define a dwarf."
    "Well, some people might say that they're called dwarfs because - "
    "No, sir. Not size. Nobby Nobbs is shorter than many dwarfs, and we don't call him a dwarf."
    "We don't call him a human, either," said Vimes.
    "And, of course, I am also a dwarf."
    "You know, Carrot, I keep meaning to talk to you about that - "
    "Adopted by dwarfs, brought up by dwarfs. To dwarfs I'm a dwarf, sir. I can do the rite of k'zakra, I know the secrets of h'ragna, I can ha'lk my g'rakha correctly... I am a dwarf."
    "What do those things mean?"
    "I'm not allowed to tell non-dwarfs."

Abadacus likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Mr Slant has a term for people like you.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    "Hey, do you like Star Wars?"
    "Yes."

That's all it takes to be a "real" Star Wars fan.

Dra---, Lazy K, quad_gun_jinn and 3 others like this.