main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Well, the destruction of Luke"s Jedi order really does bother me greatly. But I also agree that there was a severe lack of creativity in having another skywalker character go bad. Is that truly the best story they could tell? They had a completely blank canvas, and could have gone in any direction post RotJ, and the best they could come up with was basically a repeat of what we've already seen in the prior films using new characters? Really?!!!! I found TFA to be a very disappointing film.

Darth Basin likes this.
  2. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Canon really needs more novel series, only aftermath this far. Would be cool to have something about Luke, him building the new jedi order, then its destruction, etc. And hopefully something post ST?

JediMatteus and ChildOfWinds like this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't think we'll get that before 2018 at the earliest, there looks to be a big Do Not Touch sign on Luke right now and all the way up to ep 8.

I've no official info, just the way it feels to me.

4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    the quote function does not work at my work. this was in response to someone on the previous page saying old people have to go sometime.

when in God's name did he get old? 53 is not old at all. Hell Dooku was powerful at 80. Luke is young yet, so lets stop talking as if they are all old farts. Han was like 62 or 63. Even he was not that old.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  5. LinAjax

LinAjax Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2016
    Probably post ST dont want the books giving spoilers is my guess.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke is running around wearing a stormtrooper helmet in a few pages of the most recent Star Wars issue. Make me kind of chuckle. He's either using it for the comm system or maybe he was just feeling oddball and whimsically put it on.

7. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    When does the story take place?

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Post ANH, the crew took over a Star Destroyer (with some boss manuevers by Luke in the previous issue) and now a skeleton crew is keeping it together. Luke is in his X-Wing pilot outfit but there's a few panels of him running around wearing a buckethead. Also there's a fun Luke/Leia moment that flashes back to when they came up with the idea to take over the ISD at basically the exact same time.

9. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    So he doesn't have a reason for wearing a ""buckethead"?

Yes, I thought it was likely post- ANH. It really does look like we're not going to get anything much about Luke post-RotJ. I truly hope there's a good reason for that. Even more, I'm hoping it's a reason that I can actually be pleased about for once, and not just because they want Luke to be a red herring or they have nothing to write about Luke because he basically did nothing but search for Jedi lore for a decade or more...

JediMatteus likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Not even a little bit, which is why I liked it cuz it was kind of randomly amusing.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Are they now going for "insane Luke"? ;) He didn't seem to like wearing it much when he needed to wear it on the Death Star, so it seems rather odd that he would choose to put one on when he didn't need to do so....

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hahhaa, maybe he got used to it or actually found one that fit his head this time.

13. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Maybe so. Let me know what happens next in that story, okay?

14. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016

This comic (SW #23) had something worse:

*Han running Leia over with a speeder bike
    *Leia beating on Han.
    *“let’s steal a Star Destroyer hey!!”
    [​IMG]

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Works for me.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, this could be unwise or it might lead to something more fun and even positive.

Below is a link to a 1138 piece on Luke and TFA:

http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2016/10/luke-skywalker-hero-who-ran-away/

Unlike most internet articles, the comments are well worth reading too. Why did I like it? Because it's a good attempt at presenting an angle on Luke and what he may be up to in the new, late post-Endor era.

SW is still embarked on a massive gamble that we won't know the outcome of until the end of next year. So, in the interim, all we have are guesswork and theories, the article proposes an interesting one that's worth a read.

Mat Skywalker likes this.
  17. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    I actually like the above article. While it IS necessary to fight and sometimes kill, I do like the idea that Luke is hesitant to be the aggressor. He chooses to be the Defender instead. Now it still feels like a major departure for Luke to run away in failure. You cant allow apathy in, any more then allowing the dark side in. I loved Luke's attitude In Rebel Stand

""I don't know if you can understand me," Luke said. "But whatever you're doing, whatever your plans are, I have to stop you."

Lord Nyax's smile grew broader. It seemed to recognize Luke's intent, even if it could not grasp his words. LATER....

He turned back toward Lord Nyax and struggled to find the words to express his thought. "I... stand... in... your... way."

Luke chose to stand in the way of evil, and he has to do so again.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  18. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    I agree with Jedi Matteus, Jedi Ben. Yes, it's a well-written and thought-out article. However, I disagree with the idea that it's a good thing for Jedi to avoid all conflict. I also disagree with the author's claim that Luke was the aggressor in The ESB. Luke went to Bespin to try to rescue Han and Leia. He never would have gone there to face Vader if they hadn't been captured and imprisoned by Vader. Vader was the aggressor. Luke was trying to save his friends.

While Jedi shouldn't start conflicts or be eager to participate in them, neither should they avoid them when necessary. As JM said, Luke and other Jedi should stand against evil. Yes, they should try to avoid conflict whenever possible, but when it comes to protecting oneself and others, I think it would be wrong for a Jedi to stand on the sidelines. They, of all people, have the special gifts that can help protect innocents. Why have special gifts if you don't use them to help and defend others? What else is a Jedi supposed to do with his/ her special talents? Just waste them or use them to make their own lives easier?

Even the crawl to TFA told us that in Luke's absence, the first order was able to rise and cause havoc in the galaxy. That means that the galaxy became worse; that evil was able to gain supremacy because Luke and the Jedi were gone. So, I don't agree that having Luke and the Jedi be pacfists who avoid conflicts at all costs is a good thing. Jedi shouldn't relish conflict, but neither should they shy away from it when necessary. What is the point of having Jedi if they do absolutely nothing while evil us allowed to go unchecked? I really hope there is a far better reason for why Luke left and isn't helping in the sequel trilogy.

JediMatteus and Darth Basin like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    To me, I think what's possibly driving the post-Endor story, with regard to the Jedi, is knowledge of the Clone Wars. Luke never had that in Legends because it wasn't set. By the time it was the post-Endor story had gone too far to be changed to take account of it.

That the old Jedi order was destroyed by engaging in the Clone Wars is quite the problem for any successor order when war returns to the galaxy.

I'm hoping there is a good answer, which to me, may be that it wasn't merely the Clone Wars that destroyed the Jedi, but the Clone Wars as part of Sidious' overall manipulations. By being involved in the war, the Jedi managed to blunt its nastier edges - without them the Clones would have been used far more cavalierly for instance.

JediMatteus and ChildOfWinds like this.
  20. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    It's been a long while since anyone made any posts in here. I guess it doesn't help that there isn't anything new to discuss about Luke in the EU. Also, rumors are extremely scarce this time around. It looks like there is a better lockdown of film information this time. Leaks don't seem to be happening.

Yes, I hope there is a good answer too. I'm still really disappointed that they decided to start the new trilogy with zero new Jedi. In a universe in which the Jedi are both important and unique, it's annoying that they didn't allow at least a small number of Jedi to exist. It's also annoying that they didn't even allow the only Jedi in the galaxy to be a part of the film except for a 60 second cameo at the end. :(

It also concerns me that kasdan made a comment very early on, even before the film came out, that one doesn't become wiser with age; one just becomes older. Frankly, I don't agree with that. Maybe that has been true for him, but I haven't found that to be the case with most people. I certainly feel that I've learned many things from experiences I've had. I'm certainly not perfect and still make plenty of mistakes, but I think I make more informed decisions now, which lead to fewer and smaller mistakes.

Anyway, the reason his comments bother me, is that I have the very bad feeling that Luke is going to be the one that kasdan is going to show as not gaining wisdom with age. Thus, I fear that Luke is going to be the one who is going to be shown as not being wise, and that his mistakes are the cause of kylo's fall and the ultimate destruction of Luke's Jedi order. I hope I'm wrong, but that comment, along with the hint of repeating mistakes, really does cause concern. I'm still really worried that I am not going to be at all happy with Luke's characterization or role in episode VIII. :(

JediMatteus likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I totally dug Luke in the most recent issue of Star Wars if only because him claiming himself as a Rebel and swinging his saber was pretty epic. He also ditched the stromtrooper helmet he was randomly wearing last issue, which I kind of love even more cuz I just dig the idea of farmboy Luke randomly grabbing a helmet while they're stuck on a Star Destroyer.

JediMatteus likes this.
  22. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001

That's putting an awful lot of responsibility on Luke's shoulders. He can't be held responsible for the tides of history alone. Even if he were more active, it's unlikely he would have slowed, or even stalled, the winds of galactic politics. Luke's destiny has always been tied to the fate of the Jedi, and he's clearly been set up as the leader of the New Generation. He's obviously distraught his first attempt ended in the deaths of his students, and regained purpose in seeking the origins of the Jedi. I think that's perfectly fine, even if it's not what many were hoping for. Some prefer the close Han Leia relationship we saw in the old EU, others find it more "realistic" that each would continue to live their own lives despite their feelings for each other.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    that's awfully optimistic. he is the chosen leader of the new generation of jedi?? not likely:(

24. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Hi, master skywalker! Haven't seen you around for a long while. Welcome back!

The crawl itself did say that The first order rose in Luke's absence. If Luke had been there, it's likely that they wouldn't have become so powerful so quickly. In Luke's absence, Snoke seems to have become bolder and more confident, and the first order grew and became powerful. Having a growing Jedi order would probably have helped to slow, if not stop, the rise of the first order.

I agree that Luke's primary task was to restore the Jedi order. That's why I remain very disappointed that the authors of TFA destroyed Luke's order, his entire life's work. I fear that this was done both to make writing TFA simpler ( didn't need to write a story for these new Jedi), and to take away the restoration of the Jedi order from Luke and give it to their own new character, Rey, instead. By not allowing for a Jedi order, I feel that the authors have not only set the story back to square one, but have kept the Star Wars story from moving in a new direction fir many years to come. Because there is no new order, they are basically retelling the very same story that we got in the previous films. We could have started with some new Jedi and a new and different story could have been told about how these Jedi help in the galaxy instead of going back to the same skywalker falls to the dark side and new New Hope needs to learn about the force and deal with him and then pass on what she has learned. It will now need to be either a jump forward in years or many years down the road before we can have new and different Jedi adventure stories. In my opinion, the authors wasted a golden opportunity. They had a thirty year gap which would have allowed time to rebuild a small Jedi order, and would have given us new characters and new story potential, but they blew that chance and now we're stuck with pretty much the same story and a long way off from having that new order. It takes many years to build even a small order.

Zeta1127 and JediMatteus like this.
  25. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    I think Kasdan was referring to Han (his favourite character) and how he had regressed instead of grown. JJ and Adam Driver have also blamed Han and Leia's poor parenting, not Luke's teaching style, on Kylo going Dark. It looks like the backstory they are going with is that Leia was too busy with politics and Han was an absent father which is what caused Kylo to feel abandoned and turn to Snoke. Luke hasn't been mentioned by JJ or Adam Driver as the reason Kylo fell to the Dark SIde.