main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Before TFA, LucasFilm made us think "where's Luke?" and in Star Wars Universe people made the same question.
    So, knowing that in Bloodline people believed that Luke was a myth/mystery, LF want that we think in Luke that way. "What Luke did during all this time? And Ben? When Luke started his academy?" are questions to keep to VIII.

I have a theory that not just Leia knew Snoke but Luke and Han too, maybe Snoke was a "friend" of them (the problem is that it make Snoke a Palpatine 2.0 [face_plain] ). Snoke saw Luke and Leia, noticed that they wouldn't easily go to the dark side so he chose Ben.

nightangel and ChildOfWinds like this.
  2. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Yeah, my instinct is that this is where it's going - I expect the prelude novel for The Last Jedi to be Luke-based :)

nightangel likes this.
  3. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I think you could be right, Jedi jessy! He may have known the whole family, and when he realized he'd never be able to turn Luke and Leia, he went after the more vulnerable Ben.

@jkdart, I truly hope you're right. However, we may not get anything as a prelude to viii, because they will likely be waiting to share Luke's story in the film. However, I really hope that we'll get lots of Luke afterward,...and I hope Luke isn't killed off in episode viii.

nightangel and Jedi Jessy like this.
  4. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    I really hope they will not kill Luke (even in IX). We already lost Han (and we lost Carrie in real life) this is too much painful.

PS: I wonder if Star Wars comics will show in some point Luke and Leia after ESB/before ROTJ (they still are in the first year after ANH or they are closer to ESB?)

5. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    I agree with you about not wanting them to kill Luke in this trilogy. I agree that losing Han AND Leia is already too much.

I haven't been reading the comics, so I don't know where they are in the comics. I think @ Jedi Ben probably knows though. He's kind of a comic book expert. I'd like to see Luke, Han, and Leia in a story post-RotJ myself.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm way behind on the comics due to buying them in OHC now.

Though, in general terms, I'd suspect not much time has passed, that and Marvel tend to play fast and loose with it. The best way to look at it? There will be enough time for all the stories they want to tell.

Also, Marvel have been doing stories across all eras, so it's probably a case of when we get a post-ROTJ story rather than if.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  7. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    What is OHC?

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oversized HardCover, Marvel tend to issue them after the paperbacks and they collect 2-3 at a time.

Snax Rebo likes this.
  9. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Thanks!

10. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Spoilers about Empire's end

According to Reddit, Leia says Luke is off searching the galaxy for old Jedi teachings. It's pretty sad that Luke spent so much time trying to be a good jedi master just to Kylo Ren destroy everything :(. This dude destroyed everything that the big three made

nightangel and JediMatteus like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'll likely have read EE this weekend if my copy makes it in time, it was sent off today but comments will be in the official thread for the next few weeks.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  12. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    Jedi Ben and I are, like, the poster-children of this format.

It's OHC or nuffin'

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. J_K_DART

Dec 31, 2001
    Huh, I'd forgotten Empire's End was out this week! I doubt we'll see a change in Chuck Wendig's approach, so I'm afraid I'm not expecting much, if any, Luke.

On the flip side, I'm increasing excited about Zahn's Thrawn novel. Lucasfilm has impressed me by how well they play across multiple media - I mean, the way Saw Gerrera's story weaves in and out of animated series, novels, and even Rogue One is downright impressive. I'm not sure how much to go into this here in case it's viewed as a spoiler, but there may be hints that Lucasfilm is starting down the path of bringing Mara Jade back into canon, so Thrawn would be the perfect place to do it.

As I say, I'm wary of spoiling, so here's an article I've put together on the possibility :) https://moviepilot.com/p/star-wars-mara-jade-rebels-last-jedi-hint/4210922

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  14. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Nice article, Dart! I would certainly LOVE it if they brought back Mara, but I won't get my hopes up, because I doubt it will happen.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    My copy of Vader OHC2 is on its way, I will finally get to read Vader Down.

ChildOfWinds and spicer like this.
  16. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Good! Let us know what you think of it!

17. J_K_DART

Dec 31, 2001

Oh, I'll look forward to hearing what you make of it, Ben - imo it was one of the best 'new' Star Wars stories I've read in the comics.

Thanks CoW, glad you liked the piece :) I'm hopeful; Lucasfilm tend to play the long-game. :)

18. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I think you are right and all novels keep Luke as a mystery leading to VIII. [face_sigh]Really hope he is not easily killed off in VIII. [face_plain]

To answer the questions about the comics (since I still have SW in subscription), the stories are still in the first year after Yavin battle. Not closer to ESB. ;)

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, I have a lot of confidence in it Dart, as I'm a long time Gillen fan.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  21. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Spoiler for Empire's End:

I thought Luke not being around for the birth of his only nephew was really sad.

ChildOfWinds, Jedi Jessy and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    There's been some subsequent discussion over in EE, so some pieces of that linked post have since been revised.

23. J_K_DART

Dec 31, 2001

Good taste! :D I've been a fan since Gillen's Uncanny X-Men run.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Vader OHC2 has arrived, probably won't get to it until the weekend.

J_K_DART likes this.
  25. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

The book doesn't say whether he was or wasn't.

"Friends and family gather. Rumors fly about who was there and who was not. Some say that the golden boy, Luke Skywalker, made an appearance and then was gone again, off on some untold mission. Others say his absence was conspicuous."

J_K_DART, Revanfan1 and Jedi Jessy like this.