main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Well, I'm currently reading through Emperor's End, and actually really rather enjoying it!

One detail that I love; there's a flashback scene to the Second Death Star, with Palpatine summoning a trusted aide. He reveals that he senses... a shatterpoint.

I love this nod to the old EU, and I have to say I absolutely love the idea that Luke himself was the shatterpoint in the galaxy's future. Intriguing to consider.

Curious question; in the New Canon, are the film novelisations - such as Matt Stover's ROTS - considered canon? I know Stover has Windu refer to shatterpoints in his scenes.

instantdeath and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Film novelizations are considered canon where they align with the rest of the canon. Basically, they're considered a different interpretations of the events.

3. J_K_DART

Dec 31, 2001
    Cool, thanks :)

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, just finished a read of the entire Vader series - re-read of OHC1 and then straight into OHC2 and a little story called Vader Down...

Now that was about a year and half ago so, spoilers, at this point? Come on, no way....

One thing the new material has done, indirectly, by amplifying Vader's abilities and taking the Unholy Terror aspect up to 11, is to also give Luke a major boost. No one walks away from a fight with Vader, right? Wrong, Luke does it twice, once at Yavin and then at Bespin. Neither time does he escape unscathed, but that he escapes at all is pretty damn impressive.

I'd heard Luke and Vader cross paths again, so that's cause for concern as I don't really want these two meeting up much, if at all, before ESB. The actual execution, however, was far smarter than expected: Vader is massacring Rebel pilots, Luke senses him and then plays a game of fighter chicken. Vader doesn't back down, neither does Luke! Each cripples the other's fighter and they fall into the atmosphere. Vader's view of this is telling: If Luke really is strong with the Force, surviving this won't be a problem for him.

The rest of the story never really matches the opening, as it's basically Luke trying to escape Vader and then Karbin, with help from Han and Leia. His tangling with the Murderbots was OK, but pitting those characters and Aphra against Luke, Han and Leia and the droids tends to show up their relative weaknesses as characters.

The bigger question left hanging at the end is: Did Luke ever returned to the Jedi Temple of Vas Vrogas?

A quick, overall review of the series is here:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...6-series-finale.50040967/page-6#post-54164808

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. J_K_DART

Dec 31, 2001
    Good points, Ben, and one reason I enjoy every occasion Vader is made all the more powerful; it shows how good Luke is, too!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Has anyone seen the Rebels episode Twin Suns ? There is an interesting bit that I'll hide under spoilers.

I haven't been keeping up with Rebels, but Maul finds his way to Tatooine to face off Obi Wan for the last time, sort of similar to the old EU Infinities Visionaires book that play up that idea. Anyway I love the way they nailed Alec Guiness's characterization of the older jedi to small mannerisms to the way he held a gaze. Anyway of course Obi-wan defeats Maul in 3 strikes, similar to the quickness of 7 Samurai. Maul has a moment where he asks Obi-wan who are you protecting, is it the Chosen One ? Obi-wan confirms to Maul "he is". So at this point Obi-wan believes Luke to be the one to bring balance and alongside Yoda from the final episodes of Clone Wars confirm from the Force priestess that Yoda will train one who will save the universe. So I'm curious is Disney retconning Luke as the Chosen One ?

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh that sounds quite cool, roll on the S3 DVD set!

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Just because a character believes something, doesn't mean they're right.

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Iron_lord

That's most likely the case and I can see that for him not being the "chosen one". But the Force priestess's highlight Luke's importance in saving the universe is more offical than opinion, in the sense he's not the Chosen One but he has a very "chosen one" role to play in saving the galaxy.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    True. But he does so not himself, but through being the catalyst that causes Anakin to do the right thing.

From the newcanon ROTJ novelization Beware the Power of the Dark Side:

In killing his master - the mighty Sith Lord Darth Sidious, known to the galaxy as Emperor Palpatine - Anakin fulfilled his destiny and restored balance to the Force. And so, though the galaxy will not honor him ... Luke will.

11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Catalyst or shatterpoint ? ;)

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Changing / expanding the idea of a Chosen One to cover Anakin and Luke would be one of the smartest moves they could make, especially given how much more psychopathic Vader now is.

ChildOfWinds and Mat Skywalker like this.
  13. J_K_DART

Dec 31, 2001
    Given the comments in the latest Rebels Recon, I don't think that's the take they're going with. Their perspective seems to be that Obi-Wan had given up on Anakin, and that *he* believed Luke was the Chosen One.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  14. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    wow! I used to get notifications when the SOS thread had new posts, but I haven't received one in a long time. I just came to check the Han and Leia thread, which I do every couple of weeks since the SOS thread seemed dead, and happened to see that I've missed quite a few posts. I'm glad to see that SOS isn't dead yet, and that a lot of the regulars are still posting a bit.

That's too bad, because I actually agree with Jedi Ben that the chosen one idea should cover both anakin and Luke, or even, just Luke. I was never really happy about the idea that a major villain, who was responsible for the deaths of countless people, and for so much destruction in the galaxy, was the "Chosen One". And it never seemed right that he still got credit with fulfilling the "Chosen One" prophecy when he truly only threw the emperor into the reactor to save his son. Plus, if it hadn't been for that son, he never would have thrown the emperor overboard in the first place. It seems that in Star Wars, good guys do finish last, sadly, while evil ones not only get away with mass murder, they are honored with fancy and important titles. Meanwhile, Luke seems to be ending up with nothing at all. Even his Jedi order, his life's work and his legacy, was taken from him. Really doesn't seem right or fair.

It's also disappointing that it was made so ambiguous about whether or not Luke was present at his nephew 's birth. There should have been a nice scene with Luke, Leia, Han, and the new baby. It seems that not only did Luke lose his professional legacy, but he doesn't seem to have spent much time with his family or his friends in this new canon. I find it all very disappointing. I really now wish that the filmmakers would have taken this story forward about a hundred years where it wouldn't have impacted the lives of Luke, Leia, and Han. They could have told the same story that we got in TFA, just using a descendant of Han and Leia's,if they truly needed another skywalker falling to the darkside story( but I don't think that they did), but Luke Leia, and Han could have had their happily ever afters, and could have left legacies, instead of having miserable lives and having everything fall apart on them.

Mat Skywalker and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Is this a thread for talking about Luke in the ST? If not, sorry.

As a person who enjoys Luke Skywalker a lot, I'm quite worried about Luke in Ep. VIII. The whole "Last Jedi" thing makes me think Luke will die, leaving Rey, lol, the only hope. The old generation doesn't seem to be getting the happy ending we wanted. It's like the Minutemen in Watchmen.
    :p ... :_|

Vialco likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The only restriction on Luke and the ST here is no TLJ spoilers - ever.

Speculation is fine but not using spoiler info.

I'm going with the plural reading of 'the last Jedi'.

17. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Huh, I never thought of it like that. Problem solved, I hope.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  18. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I knew there would be a Disney/Star Wars mashup eventually. Besides Phineas and Ferb.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  19. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Oh clever, I see what the Mods have done now. Anything "Star" and or "Wars" becomes a Disney entity

ChildOfWinds and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, this year the Mods have gone nuts with April foolery.

I pity the fools.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  21. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Hi, Matt Nice to see that you're back! Have you been reading any of the new canon books? I still haven't read much. There is supposed to be a Thrawn book pretty soon. It will be interesting to see how he is the same and different from the Thrawn from the old EU. I wish they would bring back Mara too.

22. J_K_DART

Dec 31, 2001
    Due out this week, I believe, CoW! :D

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  23. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Sounds good, Dart! It will be interesting to see if any other characters are brought back too, like Pelleon.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    My copy of Thrawn has arrived. It's a nice big book, likely read it over Easter.

Also, really like the sound of the 40th ANH anniversary book From A Certain Point of View.

25. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Oh, please share spoilers in a PM if you can't do it here!

What's this 40 th anniversary book?