main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Guys, the trailer isn't the only news! Anyone heard about 'The Legend of Luke Skywalker'? It seems we're in for a treat in the build-up to TLJ! What's more, man, this author sounds promising. A massive award-winning author, and his love of Star Wars is palpable; he's already done a blog celebrating it, definitely worth a read :)

http://kenliu.name/blog/2017/04/14/im-writing-a-star-wars-book/

JediMara77, Jedi Ben and spicer like this.
  2. J_K_DART

Dec 31, 2001
    Incidentally, I'm assuming it's the end of the Jedi as we know them and the beginning of something new. I'm taking the book found on Ahch-To, which mysteriously represents "a balance", as the Journal of the Whills, with the idea that Luke and Rey have discovered a wisdom lost ages past.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Do try and keep up dear fellow, see but a few posts back! ;)

4. J_K_DART

Dec 31, 2001
    Well forgive me being excited :p (I guessed there'd have been mention as soon as I went to the main forum and saw you'd posted a thread :p )

Incidentally...

I'm wondering if this book links in a little with the "Never meet your heroes" comment Daisy Ridley made about Rey's interaction with Luke. Could this be like a 'Legends of King Arthur' type thing, where it's a collection of different stories exploring Luke's role, and the myths and legends that have built up around him? The plural in the title is interesting.

Revanfan1 and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, I can forgive that.... Easily bigger news than the trailer for me.

6. J_K_DART

Dec 31, 2001
    Hahahah me too, actually lol. I was thrilled when I came across it! :D (I've been a big part of Moviepilot's Star Wars Celebration coverage, so I was googling for any updates and I squealed lol! My wife was laughing so much; she asked, "Are you excited, or are you in pain?")

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I still find it hilarious that a teaser comes out, Luke speaks, TFN boards crash.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ok... Get a load of this cover!

[​IMG]

Darth_Pevra and Jedi Jessy like this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Not final, of course, but it's still pretty nice!

10. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    ABC Nightline interview:

Daisy Ridley: Yeah [there were some big surprises even for me when I read the script]. I went to Rian's office and I was like, 'we need to have a talk about what's happening here'.

Mark Hamill: When I read, I told Rian [that] I fundamentally disagree with virtually everything you've decided about my character. But it might be a good sign because I was really wrong about [Episode] VII. I said, 'when I turn around the audience is going to be hootin' and hollerin' because it's such an obvious cheat.' I didn't forsee John Williams incredible music, and the shots of Daisy, the build-up to it all, so...I was never happier to be wrong.

11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    That's actually kind of terrifying.

12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    It is. It really is. It's really worrying that he doesn't' mention he was ever proven wrong by the script itself. He just says he thinks he'll be proven wrong because it will be executed well.

Hopefully Luke's depression/cynicism in this movie is all a setup for his big "Return of the Jedi" moment in Episode 9. I can just see him igniting his lightsaber in 9, having some great line about taking the war to Snoke, and the audience going nuts.

ChildOfWinds and Jedi Ben like this.
  13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well at least the "The Jedi must end" thing is clearly a fake out since he trains Rey in the START of the trailer.

Interestingly, I know they will never do it but I'd love to find out Luke's state of depression is NOT due to the academy being massacred by his nephew or the fact he's unleashed a really pathetic version of his father on the galaxy. I'd like for it to be related to his quest to find the Lost Temple of the Jedi and something similar to the Thrawn Trilogy. Where he went looking for a Jedi Master and found Joruus C'boath.

Luke went to find "hidden wisdom" in the Temple and then discovered the Jedi Knights began as an order of conquerors and brutal warlords rather than keepers of the peace. I think that would be a more interesting story arc for Luke Skywalker as he finds out the Jedi Knights were NEVER perfect the way he thought they were. Just another organization of bad guys. It'd also be cool to find out if Snoke and his people are from the "original" Jedi tradition.

Then Rey will have to convince Luke, "No, we make our OWN destinies."

On a related note, my space opera novel has recently been updated in its cover and will be released in paperback and audiobook form.

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Lucifers-Star-C-T-Phipps-ebook/dp/B01MDM9MCT/

From the bestselling author of The Rules of Supervillainy:

Cassius Mass was the greatest star pilot of the Crius Archduchy. He fought fiercely for his cause, only to watch his nation fall to the Interstellar Commonwealth. It was only after that he realized the side he'd been fighting for was the wrong one. Now a semi-functional navigator on an interstellar freight hauler, he tries to hide who he was and escape his past. Unfortunately, some things refuse to stay buried and he ends up conscripted by the very people who destroyed his homeland.

LUCIFER'S STAR is the first novel of the Lucifer's Star series, a dark science fiction space opera set in a world of aliens, war, politics, and slavery.

I'm quite proud of it, even if the main character is more Soontir Fel meets Han Solo than Luke.

ChildOfWinds and instantdeath like this.
  14. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    So even Mark Hamill has his doubts about ST Luke, and the only thing that has made him think it works so far is the positive reaction to TFA. Well, that makes me feel more confident that my disappoint with the ST, and the canon universe in general, isn't completely misplaced.

ChildOfWinds and Charlemagne19 like this.
  15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Charlemagne19 I actually think that's a brilliant idea, and I myself have thought that it would be cool if Luke finds something that makes him disenfranchised with the Jedi heritage as a whole

In fact, there's a part of me that does NOT want Episode 9 to end the obvious way, with Luke realizing he was just plain wrong, the Jedi need to rise again, and wishing Rey luck as he fades into the Force while staring with her at a sunset (cue music, tears). I kind of want, in some way, Luke to be onto something with his new philosophy, that the Jedi need to evolve in some way.

And your book sounds very interesting, I will be downloading it and will let you know what I think. Did you self-publish? I ask because I have had a book written for about a year and a half now (Lord has it it been that long?), but haven't really looked into publishing it, since I shifted focus to finishing school and working on short films, so the minefield of learning to get a book published seemed like just a bit too much.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Basically, I'm hoping there are SOME new ideas in the Third Trilogy. I'd like for Snoke, the Jedi, and so on to have a big backstory which we'll get explained to us at least in part.

Albeit, I do want Luke to continue believing in the Jedi Order but I do believe he needs to appeal less to tradition and more to his own inherent sense of good. Change the Jedi, don't try to revive them.

Thanks. It's a bit darker than Star Wars itself, being meant to be a morally ambiguous story about a war's aftermath with no clear good guys ala Shatterpoint but it's also about someone discovering his redemption may not rely in causes but in his crew and peace.

It's published with an mid-tier publisher (Crossroad Press) but I know many people who are good at self-publishing too.

It's a whole new world thanks to Kindle and Amazon.

17. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Yes, if even mark hamill disagrees with what they've done with Luke, I 'm pretty sure I'm not going to be happy either. I know that I already hate Luke's backstory, especially the loss of his entire Jedi order.:(

Vialco likes this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Guys, I'm as worried as you are. But remember, back in the day Hamill was also a fan of Luke going darkside in ROTJ. So maybe the fact that he dislikes what Johnson has done to his character is a good sign.

19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

They have turned the last of the Skywalker blood line into a psychotic Goth. They had originally filmed the Hand in space scene, something so obviously bad they shouldn't need a story group to tell them that.

As for Mark, given how crap Luke was treated in TFA no he was NOT wrong about that.

20. J_K_DART

Dec 31, 2001
    I'm more interested in the books that represent "a balance". I think they're the Journal of the Whills, which might tie back to the Guardians of the Whills in Rogue One. If so, it's possible Luke's learned something older than even the Old Jedi Order, and that will tie to the Prequel-era concept of 'balance' somehow.

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    We don't know if Kylo is the last Skywalker-Solo.

22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    It's worrying but we lack context to panic yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Is Ben Solo the last generation of the Skywalker-Solo family? We don't know, since Rey is the only other major candidate for being a member of the extended family, but her origin is a complete unknown at this time.

I seriously want to know what LFL was thinking when they went with an OT rehash for the ST, when the OT screams for more of a PT style follow up story with the good guys in a place of strength. Instead of this convoluted mess where the Heroes of Yavin aren't allowed to accomplish much of anything, besides creating a New Republic and the Empire is defeated very quickly, but beyond that very little actually happens. The New Republic is little more than a bunch of inept idealists who refused to protect the galaxy from the Imperial ideology, leading to the rise of something even worse. If the New Republic was actually competent, then there would be no need for the Resistance. Luke tried and failed miserably to rebuild the Jedi. The Heroes of Yavin, especially Luke and the Jedi, becoming myths and legends, is the last thing I expected after Endor. What exactly makes this osik interesting or compelling? The EU has plenty of its own problems, but in comparison to this osik, almost anything looks far better.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Protect the galaxy from Imperial ideology? Nope, not on the cards, here's why:

http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2016/...e-new-republic-have-prevented-the-starkiller/

I'll add into the mix that in the new material the Unknown Regions are far more unknown, dangerous and nigh-on impenetrable, so the chances of the FO being found by NR probes that even knew they were somewhere is very low.

Never mind that a bigger fleet would have been of no practical use against a Starkiller attack too. The only practical way to blunt that is dispersal of assets, but you're still going to take a hit.

For myself, I see Luke as doing a Pug, see Riftwar: Serpentwar, going covert because as an overt figure he's too much of a target. Chances are Luke's only mistake was being too trusting, which is very in his nature.

25. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    They didn't even try, all I see is la la la, the Emperor and Vader are dead, that is good enough. No practical use against Starkiller, how about blowing it away as soon as it was discovered instead of the Resistance's feeble attempts at combating the First Order. If the New Republic was remotely competent then there never would be no need for the Resistance.

Darth_Pevra likes this.