main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I dunno, if Snoke is related to the First Temple of the Jedi and thousands of years old, I think he could clean Luke's clock.

Remember, Anakin was the Chosen One and lost to Obi-Wan.

Vialco likes this.
  2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I guess. I keep forgetting that this isn't Legends Luke who could do crazy things with the Force. Canon Luke doesn't have many impressive feats to his name. Sidious had him writhing on the floor in agony in two seconds.

3. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    True. I di remain impressed, however, at how much Luke managed to teach himself. He recieved VERY little training.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Luke's feats are duelling Vader, twice and living.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Also surviving Force lightning for an extended period of time. Also blowing up a Death Star.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Luke was kind of winning the duel with Vader too. Mainly because he gave in to his rage, but still. While Anakin Skywalker lost to Obi-wan, I think that was probably due more to his own flaws than anything else. If he had trained longer or been more calm (or rather never fallen in the first place), he probably could have been better than Obi-wan.

I know Aftermath hints that Snoke could be some kind of ancient terror from the Unknown Regions, but I'm still not too happy about them one-upping Palpatine. But then so much of TFA was about ripping off or redoing OT stuff but "bigger and better". Like how Starkiller is a super Death Star, and how Kylo is an in-universe Vader wannabe.

I really do hope they have a reason for why Luke couldn't deal with his evil nephew. Even LotF, awful as it was, came up with excuses for why Luke didn't just solve things earlier. Stupid excuses, but excuses. I just hope TLJ doesn't drag out the mystery too long. Certain shows drag out a mystery so long that no answer would be worth it (and even without those expectations, the answer is usually pretty stupid, such as in new Battlestar Galactica, or Lost, that kind of thing).

Although I think an argument could be made that Luke didn't surpass Anakin simply because he's "whole" compared to the "more man than machine" Vader, but rather Luke was a better person. Partially his upbringing (RotS novelization said that's why Obi-wan didn't just train Luke and Leia from birth as Jedi, a loving family was more important for both), and seeing what happened to Vader (Vader lost his arm long before Luke did), and Luke's purity brought Anakin back to the light too.

I really doubt the sequels could come up with something that... philosophical and symbolic though. Even if they do rip off the Dagobah training, I hope they at least clarify the current Force doctrine that Luke's come up with after years (and it hopefully won't mean just dumping all the old Jedi doctrine, they weren't perfect but they weren't that bad).

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Honestly, my hope is simply that if Luke went after Snoke he'd get overwhelmed by stormtroopers. I love Luke truly but I think it's entirely fine that he's a Zahn-Jedi and not a Force God. He can't just sneak into the Imperial Palace and challenge Snoke to a duel unless Snoke wants him to.

He's an amazing Jedi but his ADVICE would be what would help the Resistance, not his role as an assassin.

8. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    I don't mind that either, honestly. I just hope for a scene in either TLJ or a novelization or tie-in novel or something that shows that Kylo Ren fled to the First Order before Luke found out about the massacre. And I like the idea of Luke in an advisory role to the Resistance.

The question is why he wasn't already doing that and instead had to run off somewhere alone (without even Artoo). And I honestly do hope TLJ gives a good answer for that.

Although sometimes I worry about Luke's role in even the OT era. While Luke was the only one would could reach that little bit of goodness still left in Vader (maybe Leia, but there was a lot more bad blood between them, such as Alderaan, the torture, Han carbonite freezing, etc.), when you have people like Kanan and Ezra, Luke feels... superfluous. Like Rebels is set pretty close to OT (based on Leia's cameo), and both were already mixing it up with Inquisitors on a nearly equal basis. Compared to Luke who can't really do that much until after Dagaboh training, and there seems to be little to no interest in post-ESB stories as Han's out of action. And I'm not a big fan of immediate post-Yavin Luke as there's only so much he can do then, at least not without seeming too strong. I also don't really care for the ummpteenth "just barely escaped from Vader" story. The main Star Wars comic has already had at least several instances of that (one reason I could care less about that series).

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And how did Ezra and Kanan do against Vader? Oh yeah. In their first meeting Luke not only survives but also wounds Vader, which in turn triggers Vader's Boss Kill Mode setting and there goes the hand.

I can think of exceedingly few beings who would willingly undertake a second duel with Vader.

10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Ezra managed that too.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Twice? You're counting Malachor then? Both times he didn't get very far.

Nor did he chop off a hand.

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, I think Luke is doing something and Han said that it was looking for the First Jedi Temple.

I like that Luke's solutions are mystical and Leia's solutions are military. Of course, I do think nothing prevented a few Jedi in the background of the Resistance Base and only Luke's academy being destroyed, not Luke's entire order.

When STAR WARS: REBELS ends, I hope they make a second CGI series called STAR WARS: RESISTANCE.

Only this time it's Ezra who is the cranky old man. You don't even need a lengthy explanation.

"I never completed my Jedi training. Things just always got in the way."

13. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    While Luke is the only one who has even a small chance against Vader, I just meant its kind of silly sometimes to have Leia rushing to find Obi-wan Kenobi when they already have one or two kind of trained Jedi. Not a match for Vader, but helpful for most everything else. Luke won't reach that level until after Dagobah. After Endor he'll have probably surpassed them (as Shattered Empire showed), but sadly not like we actually have much post-RotJ Luke stories.

Oh well, Rebels will eventually clear up everything probably. It'd be nice if they actually all joined together to help found a new Jedi Order, like what happened in the old EU, but there's not much point considering how it'll end, so we'll see how it goes.

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I personally predict the Jedi Order will have survivors in the future but not until the Third Trilogy is done. Just like the Prequels.

15. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I have a simple answer to that: No matter what The Powers That Be say, I do NOT consider the tv shows to be canon at the level of the movies. Sorry folks, but Ashoka's and Ezra's stories strike me as fanfiction. Even Mary Sue/Gary Stu in that they're retconned characters tossed into the SW universe in a way as to try to make as much of the existing canon as possible be about *them.*

Y'know Rogue One? That's how you do an awesome story that ties into the main canon without diminishing it in some way.

Sorry for the tv show-bashing XP Just my personal take on things...*pats her head-canon lovingly.*

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    For me, it's the opposite. I can't stand the idea of a Star Wars were only Luke, Leia, Han, and Leia matter. There should be thousands of groups like Rebels in canon with MILLIONS of stories of heroic Pulp adventure. There should be boo hiss governors, Imperial Superweapons trotted out every week, evil pirate kings, ancient Force Gods, and so on.

Because that's the way the Star Wars universe rolls.

It's a universe of adventure.

SpecForce Trooper and J_K_DART like this.
  17. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I wish I could roll like that. :( I really do.

But I love SW for 1. The "legacy" characters (although I think Poe, Rey and Finn are fantastic, too), 2. the mythic structure and paychology of the films, and 3. the concept of the Force and the Jedi in a philosophical sense. I've never cared for the sci-fi trappings. Actually, a great deal of SW media doesn't interest me at all, or interests me at around the same level as other sci fi/fantasy/superhero franchises.

I was that lil dork girl writing term papers on the parallels between SW and Eastern religions and purchasing no merchandise aside from the books that continued the stories of my favorite characters. I was a lonely lil dork girl :p

I'm sure I represent a TINY minority of SW fans lol. Nothing could delude me into thinking that my approach to fandom is the best or the most rewarding! I really envy fans who have more of an open mind than I do.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  18. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    A few thoughts about the Sequel Trilogy; I can't help noting that Luke didn't exactly leave a forwarding address when he headed to Ahch-To. It may well be that his 'retreat' was actually an attempt to discover the first Jedi Temple, that something went wrong with his ship and he's simply been stranded on the planet. We've all been assuming he became a hermit willingly, but to me it's pretty clear Luke was the one who left Rey on Jakku after learning the location of Ahch-To from that guy from the Church of the Force. If that's the case, he *did* promise to come back for Rey, and I don't buy that he was lying. Nah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if his disappearance was partly unwilling (maybe an act of sabotage to his ship, with Snoke making a subtle attempt to have him killed?).

On another note; I'm not too concerned about Ezra and Kanan impacting Luke - yet. Their stories, however, need to be completed by the time of ANH. If Kanan was around in the time of ANH, and with the rebels, there's no way Luke wouldn't have crossed his path. Imo Kanan and Ezra are on the clock. Not sure about Ahsoka; I suspect Lucasfilm have something really interesting planned for her.

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    They did an art thing which seems to indicate Ahsoka did survive but with amnesia and possibly mild-brain damage.

Enough that she probably won't be recovered until after the Trilogy.

J_K_DART and Vialco like this.
  20. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    We've been told that Luke doesn't know who Rey is when she shows up.

As for the tv show Jedi characters...I don't like the idea that they're still running around the galaxy during the OT. I feel it would cheapen the whole "last of the Jedi" significance of Yoda/Luke.

J_K_DART likes this.
  21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    We've been told Luke knows EXACTLY who Rey is looking at her.

22. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Ahh yes, the script notes. It was later clarified, though, that Luke has never seen her before. So presumably the script notes meant that he knows she's come to Achoo to be trained.

Oh believe me, I'd LOVE it if Luke recognized Rey. I'm "Rey Skywalker or bust" lol X)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    In the movies, we haven't been told ANYTHING about Luke and Rey's relationship. That's all that matters. Everything else is supplementary and can be trumped by what the filmmakers want. So I wouldn't put too much stock in script notes or what people say IRL.

24. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Script notes, I agree. (After all, Luke's hair isn't white, as the notes specify.) But while I fully expect ambiguous statements from the directors, I have no reason to believe they'd flat out LIE about something like that.

25. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    It's not a matter of lying, it's a matter of them wanting to change something. I don't necessarily think they'd change something as major as Luke having a kid or not, but you never know. Otherwise why leave it ambiguous in the movie?