main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Imo the only way Rey is Luke's daughter, considering the information we've been given, is if he doesn't know he has a kid.

2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Wouldn't be the first time that happened with a Skywalker!

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  3. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    They seem to lose track of their kids in one way or another with distressing frequency :p

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    George Lucas lied about Luke being Darth Vader's son. :)

5. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Lucas ain't Disney.

6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's a common practice to lie about major plot twists all round. :)

SpecForce Trooper and J_K_DART like this.
  7. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    What we've seen from Disney/Lucasfilm so far is artful dodging and super vague/ambiguous statements as their modus operandi, not flat-out lying. They get to keep stuff under wraps without losing credibility with the fans (which is more of an issue in the age of social media).

8. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Sadly, I just found this poor thread on page 4. :(

The photos are in from vanity fair, and I absolutely love the one of the skywalker twins! It's beautiful and sweet, and really, really sad. I also like the one of Luke and Rey.

I don't know if I am going to like what happens in the film as much as I like the photos though, but at least it apppears that Luke will play a major role. Still no sign of Luke's green lightsaber, but Pablo hidalgo did make a sort of encouraging comment about them not being in the habit of losing light sabers, so maybe it still does exist and Luke will get to use it someday. Someone suggested that maybe Artoo has it again and is keeping it safe for Luke. ( maybe to again launch it toward Luke when he needs it?)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    There is literally no story reason for Luke NOT to have/use his saber at some point. Undoubtedly, though, it's being saved for a big reveal - maximum dramatic impact!

Given what Daisy has said about Rey's relationship with Luke, I'd say they get over their differences at some point.

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Interestingly, JJ Abrams and Kasdan said they actually wanted to use Luke in TFA but they were struck by the fact that every time they did, the story became ABOUT Luke as he was that strong of a character.

11. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Yeap. I read that too. But c'mon - Luke is such a badass by ROTJ! Of course he'd overshadow any brand-new characters.

Although it was interesting that TFA was all about finding Luke. His saber (referred to as his, not Anakin's,wierdly) calls to Rey. She's been dreaming of Luke's island on Achoo...That's an awful big buildup for a supporting character.

I mean, if Rey turns out to be Luke's daughter, then I think the decidion was made to hold that back so that the audience could grow to know and love her apart from her parentage.

Still hoping that happens....

Voltron64 likes this.
  12. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    I am still hoping that Rey turns out to be Luke's daughter too.

However, I still think it was a 'cop-out' for Abrams and Kasdan to say that they couldn't find a way to include Luke in the story without him taking over or overshadowing the new characters. They're professionals. If they really wanted to use Luke, they could have found a way to include him, especially with Rey being untrained and inexperienced. Lucas found a way to use Obi-wan in ANH without overshadowing Luke. I think that once Rey is trained, Luke's presence actually becomes MORE problematic; not less so. That concerns me, because then I fear that they may kill Luke off, and I don't want to see that happen. We've already lost Han in the stories. We are likely to soon lose Leia. We don't need to lose all three. Besides, I really want Luke to restore the Jedi Order. He can be a background character in future SW films, maybe even only mentioned as being busy training new Jedi somewhere while Rey and other Jedi are involved in the front and center action roles. There's no need to kill Luke off .

13. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    If Luke is killed off, I wonder how on earth the Jedi will return unless Rey becomes the New Luke.

Had we already had the PT when ANH was released, he probably would have overshadowed Luke, to a degree.

At first I was unhappy with Luke's lack of screen time, too. But frankly, the way the did it makes him, imo, far more central than he otherwise would have been to the ST. I prefer maximum Luke impact to maximum Luke screentime. And I think Lucasfilm is very much aware of fan anticipation for seeing Luke back in action :)

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I agree that Rey, Finn, and Poe (Poe being an add on who was scheduled to die as well) needed room to "breathe" actually. Indeed, the only reason Obi-Wan works so well is he dies and that's a truism since Gandalf.

Personally, I think giving Rey a bit of establishment means he's less likely to die now.

Because she doesn't "need" him gone to shine.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    "I had presumed (wrongly) that JJ Abrams and Larry Kasdan might have sketched out an arc for the entirety of the current trilogy. But as Rian Johnson told me, it really was a creative handoff
    'Over to you, Rian.’ And Rian is handing off to Colin Trevorrow in the same way. He said he’s made a mess that Colin will somehow have to clean up."
    David Kamp (Vanity Fair) on what surprised him most about TLJ (x)

I hope Colin likes Luke

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    At least this means the whole idea of Rey being a reincarnated Anakin is nerfshavit, pardon my Huttese.

It also frees up a lot of other theories about why Rey was on Jakku (who knows!), what her relationship to Luke is (go nuts!), and who her mother is (could be anybody!). Why is Luke at the first Jedi Temple and what's his relationship to Snoke? WE DON'T KNOW!

:)

Colin has, at least, stated Luke is his favorite character in the series and also his biggest issue is that he struggled figuring out a way to explain why Luke WASN'T taking down Snoke and the First Order while being in character.

Vialco likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's brilliant shot but yeah, wrecks you emotionally.

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I gotta say, the ending of Rogue One hits you ENTIRELY DIFFERENTLY now.

"Leia looks so fa..."

"SHUT UP! IT'S PERFECT!"

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What the unholy hell !? That is.... Fecking hell.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So bloody grateful to have the NJO series as my ST. I will still have expectations but not Saga riding expectations.

Just not seeing how this is going to be wrapped up in 2 more movies.
    So much to do, so little time.

Vialco and ChildOfWinds like this.
  21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Reminds me of the X-Files when I realized, only after the movie, that Chris Carter actually had no idea what was actually going on and was just throwing in cool stuff.

JMS and Babylon Five is the only time in television history there really was a plan.

Nobody145 and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Don't you mean Ryan Johnson? I know absolutely nothing about Colin trevarrow, and I haven't seen any of his films.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    NJO was exactly the same as this for me FS, sure they said they had a plan, but that turned out to be not quite the case.

So now I have a massive sense of deja vu. I have done this before - I'm not doing it again.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I wouldn't panic yet. They did hand it off to Rian, but they also sat down with him and discussed it, from what I've heard. There's almost certainly a greater plan at work here. It's not a LOTF situation with three writers and one steering wheel, all fighting to get to their own destination. Although that "made a mess that Colin will somehow have to clean up" doesn't sound to encouraging–but I'm sure he means "a mess of the galaxy," not "a mess of a story."

25. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    They killed Mara Jade. The old EU is dead to me!

:p