main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think that placing the entire galaxy's on Luke's shoulders after such a horrible loss is showing a remarkable lack of compassion.

2. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    Childofwinds you are right.

However, I don't know if I'm in majority or minority, but I don't want Rey to be another Skywalker. All the message that will send is there is no one else but the Skywalkers who have the Force/strong in the Force.

In order to have Rey be Luke's daughter, there have to be a female? a Unknown female, never heard of before in the NEU. Unless Rey was a modified female clone of Luke?

Just a random girl strong in the Force is good for me.

I actually don't mind Luke telling Rey to kill Kylo. Kylo killed his own father. Now he could be redeemed a la Ulic Qel Droma, but come on.

edit: Charlemagne,

I, at least, am not teling Luke to take on Kylo and Snoke himself, alone, just because he's the only Jedi, but he should actually contribute a bit, don't you think? Unless he's NJO Luke who doesn't do anything but send teenagers out to die (except this time, he probably did and they got all killed bu the knights of Ren at the Jedi temple).

huh.

NJO Luke confirmed in NEU.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, there would have to be a mother, and there is potential for some good back story in novelizations around that.

On the rumor that I'm spoiler-tagging:

I think it would be way out of character for Luke to tell anyone to kill anyone. That scenario was bad when Obi-Wan did it, and Luke is the one who refused, and ended up being correct to do so.

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

The only scenario I can see that working in is if Luke tells Rey this only as a test. Like, if she says she's not sure she just wants to go assassinate someone, he sees she has the character a Jedi needs, valuing all life and only killing when necessary (like in the heat of combat), but if she's like "Yeah, I'll kill the guy!" then he may be more hesitant to train her. But if he actually wants her to go kill Kylo, then yeah, that might be problematic and I don't think I'd like it. I'd just have to see how they played it out first.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  5. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    Mara better survives in the NEU

6. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Yes, I agree. It would be way out of character for Luke to do that.

And, yes! I think there could be some great novels, animated tv shows, and maybe even a film about the backstory of Rey's mother and how Luke met and fell in love with her, and some adventures that they shared together.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think heroes should be allowed moments of doubt and despair. In this case, that he tried to find a way to defeat Snoke (The First Jedi Temple) but failed.

I'd also be comfortable with Snoke being someone Luke can't defeat in his present mindset.

8. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Unless Rey is Luke's daughter, I really don't see how she would bring Luke out of his doubt and despair, his funk, if his twin sister and Han couldn't do it.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I imagine they wouldn't try because, you know, their son just engaged in a massacre and joined Nazi Germany.

They kind of had their own thing.

But yes, I hope the script writer decides to make Rey Luke's daughter. It's really his decision now, isn't it?

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Problem remains that if Rey is Luke's daughter, then the elephant in the room is why she was left on a hell world like Jakku.

Of course, we now know the real answer for why Rey was on Jakku - the writers of TFA didn't know either, they just stuck her there! Why? Don't worry the writers for TLJ will answer that.

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Aw, come on, it's storytelling tradition. Don't pull the "Han and Leia couldn't do it" card–the same could be said for any wise old character who left the fight and needs the young hero/heroine to encourage them to come back. Surely that wise old character had closer family and friends who could've tried to convince them, too. But that's not how these stories go. It's a tradition, a trope. It falls short of cliché but it's classic. Besides, Han and Leia were probably equally as heartbroken as Luke, so they wouldn't have had words to encourage him at the time anyways. It usually takes a new perspective, an outsider's perspective (like Rey's), to bring the old hero back.

And that's not saying Rey isn't Luke's daughter. I hope she is. I'm just saying, if it comes down to it, it's perfectly reasonable that she would be able to persuade Luke to come back even when no one else could. For one thing, like I said, maybe no one else tried very hard. We see Leia trying hard to find Luke and bring him back, but did she try to keep him from leaving in the first place? Probably not; she likely didn't expect him to be gone so long. He probably told her and Han, "I'm so sorry, I have to leave. I'm going to look for the First Jedi Temple," and left. That's why Han said, "Those closest to him think..." They may not have tried to stop him from leaving because they didn't know he'd be gone so long.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My take on that is that her mother died, and she was sent there for her protection, possibly by someone who thought Lor San Tekka would be there. Luke was in Snoke's line of fire so she could not be sent directly to him at the time.

Revanfan1 and ChildOfWinds like this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And if not TLJ, E9 will. If not E9, some book or comic will!

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Right, so the answer is perhaps only 7 months to +3 years away - excellent.

The problem with this is everything they've since revealed about Jakku - that it's a kind of dark side hell world that warps nearly all that live on it, that's the picture Empire's End paints. On that basis, anywhere would be better - including Dagobah or Hoth!

15. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    so according to real life genetics, Mara Jade probably isn't the mother.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think we're ignoring the fact there's a trail of peanuts into the room that Jakku was the home of a religious community headed by someone Luke apparently trusted enough to be the only person in the galaxy, including his sister (albeit I wouldn't be surprised if Leia knew where he was all along) to have his location.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rey turned out to have been raised in Lor's village and moved out later despite that alien holding her hand.

We don't know if the local Jabba is that alien, anyway. It could well be his brother. :)

Uhm, Jedi Ben, it's also the home of a bunch of pacifist religious societies. One of these things is not like the other.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Really Charles? And was this 'peanut trail' shared with Chuck Wendig?

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Just edited and pasted the fact you're describe Dromund Kass except it's inhabited by the Caaamasi.

In Wendig's novel, we see a bunch of people who worship the Light Side of the Force and live peaceful if spartan lives. In TFA the scavengers are pretty normal seeming people as well plus we have a village of Space Hippies.

Palpatine's Wayland-esque storeroom is on the planet but there's no sign it's a Dark Side world.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Funny, could have sworn once Rax moves the Empire to Jakku, everyone slowly becomes nastier and more feral- so what's behind that if not the planet?

20. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    They will find sandworms soon.

30 years is a long time for exile. Like a prison sentence. Maybe his ship broke down (or R2 flew his x wing and didn't leave a radio). So he can't call to leave the planet and he can't leave the planet because there is no ship.

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I assumed that was because they're on a desert world being constantly drilled by a madman but that's just me.

22. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016

JJ: who knows why she was on Jakku? ;)
    Rian: I don't know. And you, Colin?
    Colin: I know and that explanation involve a tyrannosaurus rex

Nobody145, ChildOfWinds and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Clearly you see Rax as being far better than I do - the guy's a loon but so super-charismatic soldiers start fighting to the death and engaging in kamikazes?

Also it's made clear Sidious loves Jakku, so by default, that means there's something very messed up about the world.

24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Yes, I did.

[​IMG]

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Stormtroopers always do that. They're fanatics. Even the regular Imperial military is full of nutbars. Look at Pellaeon fighting for an evil cause for decades despite having no people to fight for, only a nebulous ideology of galactic domination.

So how do you justify the sects of pacifists which Rax betrayed and the fact there's a colony of space hippies chilling out on the planet in TFA?