main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    It isn't unheard in fiction for something holy to live nearby something dark to balance things out. Look at Dagobah- Yoda lived nearby a darkside cave, and that worked out fine. Jakku isn't anywhere near as bad as some old canon darkside planets of course, but the indication that there were something about Jakku... was one of Aftermath's more interesting plot lines. Whatever Palpatine found there, that it led to the Unknown Regions and presumably Snoke, that there was a massive loss of life due to the catastrophic battle that took place there. Then again, lack of coordination between different branches of the Star Wars media franchise wouldn't be anything new either (not like the Story Group has done anything impressive). Not that Aftermath's story was that great, since a lot of it relied on Rax being more persuasive then Vergere (everything he says is a lie, that sort of thing, yet everyone still trusts him).

I'm avoiding spoilers so won't comment on whatever that rumor is. I'm still against the Rey is Luke's daughter theory though. I'm just against the idea that after how badly Anakin Skywalker messed up with his family life that the next generation would turn out so badly, which I know is futile since we already have Kylo Ren, just one of many reasons I don't like TFA.

Not to mention that that "New Hope" sure faded out kind of fast. Sure, Luke's gone through a lot, but its sad to see him so down in the dumps, which will probably require Rey to "inspire" him. So the "New Hope" has to be shown there's still a chance by the "Newer Hope" and then Episode X will introduce the "Newerer Hope" (yes, that's not a typo :p ) and so on.

Things just feel worse then even the ending of RotS. While more Jedi died there, at least Yoda and Obi-wan had a plan, and we saw that plan unfolding in ANH and ESB. So far, sure doesn't seem like Luke intended to be found. But then there are already so many plot holes in the "search for Luke Skywalker". Maybe Johnson (or Trevorrow) will fix it up, maybe not.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't remember seeing that lot Charles, they must have been a memorable bunch of spliffers.

Not really surprising though, EE managed to make the Battle of Jakku a real plod of a sequence.

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Man, I came in here to see if people were talking about the amazing Vanity Fair pics and squee over how awesome Luke looks, and how amazing the pic is with Carrie and praying for a reunion scene. ((Also about Oscar Isaac's insinuation that he's in a scene with Luke late in the movie.) I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    They're kind of hard to miss since Gallius Rax's origin is that he was raised by them until Palpatine kidnapped/recruited him and he went back to Jakku to get his revenge.

Plus, Lor's village was part of the Church of the Force. They lived there to get back to nature.

5. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Not like most of the Aftermath trilogy was memorable. Did Luke even show up in there at all? I honestly can't remember. I vaguely remember the scenes where Rax tortured those people he used to know on Jakku but its easy to forget as it just blends in with all the rest of the scenes where he's being an evil jerk (which is basically all of them).

You know what would be nice? If/when they get around to writing more post-RotJ/pre-TFA material, if we can actually get some scenes of Luke and Lor San Tekka together, perhaps Luke consulting with Lor on Jedi lore or something. So far all we've gotten is the Poe Dameron series (I think?) and that series has been more like one long fetch quest- 1) Go here, find a clue to another planet, 2) go to that other planet for another clue to another planet while fighting natives 3) clash with First Order over another planet, rinse, repeat, etc., etc. I know there will be an embargo on spoilers until TLJ comes out, but can't they come up with something interesting/new/original? I know during the prequels the tie-in media was restricted too, but would have been nice if they had set it up so there was more room in the sandbox for stories to progress. Instead almost everything is on hold until TLJ, and stuff like the Poe series are just in a holding pattern until then. Luke information is particularly off-limits even in the few post-RotJ stuff we have (Bloodline for instance).

I would talk about new pictures, but I'm trying to stay spoiler free. Or rather I hope to go and see the movie on the first weekend and perhaps if everything is new I'll enjoy it more. I was bored halfway through TFA, but my hopes for TLJ are a little bit higher (different director, more Luke, hopefully less retread/rip-off of OT, that sort of thing). Also, I don't have much interest in a tiny drip-drip-drip of new information, I'd rather just wait for the movie instead, and I'm not that interested.

Aside from the occasional new picture, is there any news of TLJ prequel stuff? Related to Luke I mean (not counting the Phasma book). Then again, TLJ is expected to start right where TFA ends so not much time for any stories to happen. Hm, wonder when the next trailer will be- we're past May the Fourth already, and I'm not sure what the next major Disney/Marvel movie is. Thor? Too bad Wreck-It Ralph 2 is still far away.

6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well we know, again, why there's been no media with anyone but Leia and Han since TFA.

They didn't KNOW anything about Luke, the Force, and Kylo Ren.

:face palm:

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's the greatest escape clause ever, isn't it?

9. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    And that is really terrible! They weren't saving information about Luke for the big screen; apparently they didn't know what they were going to do with him, or they simply have no plans for him. Bad news and a terrible way to "plan" for a trilogy. I can't tell you how mad that makes me! JJ didn't include Luke in TFA because he didn't know what to do with him, but he put him into exile, having him run away after the fall of his Jedi order. Yet, he doesn't seem to have answers for why Luke left either, and apparently he didn't care. He didn't want Luke in his film, so he took him out, in one of the most out of character ways possible, and left it to someone else to try to clean up his mess and try to make leaving and "hiding" for six years while the galaxy was in turmoil and two dark siders were running amuck, make sense for Luke's character. I doubt that I will like what we get in TLJ. :(

Vialco and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  10. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    I just don't get how Palpatine could have allowed another Sith Lord to coexist with him.

So Darth Sidious must not have known that another dark sider (knowledge on par with him, at least) to exist.

Snoke must be around 20 or so when 0 ABY, and by 30 ABY he must have been about 50. (really need to be at l east that age) Because I just don't see a grandson of Darth Vader would follow someone not much older than himself.

What if, just what if, Luke is Snoke?

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Snoke isn't a Sith Lord.

Edit:

Actually we don't know. He could be. He could be Jar-Jar.

Vialco likes this.
  12. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The Sith are gone. Snoke is a Supreme Leader. Just like Asajj Ventress.

Hey, they're even both bald.

13. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Snoke is obviously the Mayor of Serpindal, blasted into the nu-EU when the moon crashed. :p

Most likely Snoke will be some darkside entity that was hidden in the Unknown Regions, whether he was trapped or biding his time or what, who knows. I'm afraid of the sequels falling into the same trap that the post-NJO old EU did, trying to come up with darkside eldritch abominations as a way to outdo Palpatine and as an appropriate challenge for Luke. Actually, not sure about that last part. While LotF and FotJ failed miserably to have anyone else heroic come close to Luke's level (and even the so-called Caedus needed a lot of handicaps and contrivances so that Luke didn't just defeat him halfway through the series), Abeloth seemed like a tough enough challenge for Luke and several other Jedi Masters. Well, if the novels had bothered to let that Jedi Council fight alongside Luke, but that's not relevant to this argument at the moment.

We'll see how much of a role Luke has in TLJ and IX. If Luke just stays on that planet while Rey rushes off after having a vision... well, might as well prepare for more Ewoks in IX then. :rolleyes:

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  14. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    TLA should give us a scene of being shown Lukes power.

He whips out his blade and defeats and humiliates Kylo Ren (such as destroying his lightsaber). He shouldn't be made into another Yoda where he just sits around and Rey is the only one to fight Kylo. Rey should encounter Kylo, lose to him. Stormtroopers coming onto the scene. But before Kylo kills her we hear the sound of a igniting saber....a green one. Kylo's men are defeated and he is beaten in combat, but spared his life by Luke.

Now if the original new hope is killed off or turns evil, or just stays on Ahch-To because of reasons such as broken heart, etc........

I would be one sad fanboy. The ST is Rey's chance to shine in the spot light and her becoming a Jedi, a newer hope. But it should also let Luke be shown to have some success/wins, more then just teaching Rey about the Jedi. He should help with the fight against the First Order.

Since TLJ is a disney film, maybe Luke should just listen to thing song to motivate him to take action. Just replace Huns with First Order or darksiders.

Be a man and a Jedi Luke. Yes your students died, its sad. But this isn't the first time the Jedi have faced horrors and loss. Through all the evil they have encountered in the thousands of years, the Jedi still keep living in some form and fighting the good fight. So train this new and not your daughter woman. Together you can help turn the tide of the war for the side of good to succeed.

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm hoping they'll go the Zahn route with Luke's power.

I.e. he's a powerful Jedi Master but he's not a god and that if forty guys with blasters shot him, he'd die.

Why he can't just walk up and assassinate Snoke.

Voltron64 and JediMara77 like this.
  16. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    but he'll turn to the dark side! He must not do anything. The dark side is too dangerous.
    He must not do anything. Unless Rey dies first. Then he will show that stupid Kylo who's business!

17. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Eh, if you're a Level 10 Force-Wielder (Palpatine, Yoda, Starkiller, etc) you should be able to handle 40 goons, assuming you act with intelligence.

Throw a few objects at them to scatter them, Force Push more, tear a bunch up with your lightsaber.

Yoda demolished an entire battalion of droids in Ambush. By himself.

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    That would, in fact, be the opposite of what I want.

More Order 66.

Less Mace Windu here.

I really liked when Hondo's crew captured Dooku.

19. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Ugh and I hated it. That made Dooku seem so utterly weak and powerless.

Guess we want different things from our Force-wielders.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I used to be a big huge fan of invincible godlike superhero Jedi but I believe now, it works better if they're more low key because it means they have to overcome challenges with their minds rather than their powers.

Voltron64 likes this.
  21. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I don't want Luke to go all micros series windu and take out an army. But winning against 40 guys should be fine and won't be overpowered for Luke.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    However it went down - if it did - between Kylo and Luke, I don't see Luke deliberately humiliating Kylo, it's not in his nature, even if massively hacked off at his nephew.

I could see Luke being unwilling to kill Kylo, so he disarms him and Kylo considers that an absolute humiliation for which he will have REVENGE!

Depends on how it is done really. Traditional action sequence of goons attacking 2-3 at a time? Be a breeze.

A team actually coordinating their attacks, with multiple angles and overlapping fields of fire,? Quite a bit different, but certainly more interesting too.

23. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    I wish Luke vs. Kylo would go something like this (probably posted this link before, but I just like that video a lot).

In terms of action hero Luke, Shattered Empire was pretty good, maybe a bit too violent, but very effective. I don't mind if as a Jedi Luke can deflect plenty of blaster bolts, but something like the prequel era action at least would be nice. Like how Qui-gon and Obi-wan retreated before droidekas but otherwise they were holding their own.

TCW treated Dooku poorly. Not quite as bad as Grievous, but yeah, aside from Hondo (who is awesome) that was one of the weaker arcs. Though I could see that as Dooku humoring the pirates and that it'd be less trouble to wait for a shuttle to arrive with the "ransom". The later part where Dooku, Obi-wan and Anakin were stuck together was worse.

Mostly I hope that after those years away Luke will sound mystical and wise enough. Like a lot of what Yoda says on Dagobah shaped our understanding of the Force. Maybe Luke's become enlightened? Nah, if only things were that convenient. Characters never get to become enlightened all-powerful before either the end of the story (first Matrix for instane) or only for a very short time (TUF for instance).

24. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Yeah I can't see the appeal of that. Any Muggle can think their way out of a bad situation. Only Jedi and Sith can use the full power of the Force to overcome obstacles. What's the point of having the power of the Force if you don't use it?

If I could rewrite one episode of Clone Wars, it would be Dooku Captured.

Imagine the epicness of Dooku being surrounded by pirates and doing a super-fast backflip, summoning both lightsabers out of Hondo's grip and then taking Hondo's crew apart.

Double-bladed action, Force Lightning. Dooku could even use the Force to throw Hondo's lame saucer ship at the Weequays. Oh the wasted potential in that episode.

The Force Unleashed is my favourite SW video game.

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    For me, the biggest flaw of the Jedi Order of the LOTF/FOTJ series was they treated the Jedi as the Justice League instead of making their primary contribution to the galaxy being their wisdom and spirituality.

Wars do not make one great and all that.