main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014

It was looking like people were still being cautiously optimistic, until someone posted an early short film Trevorrow directed, Home Base, about
    a man who gets dumped by his girlfriend and then hooks up with her mom to get back at his ex.

And then all hell broke loose.

It's mostly on the new character side, the one thing that fans seem to like overall, where trust in the director has eroded completely. As for me...I don't know.

2. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    they are making a mistake not having the same director for all 3 films.
    Look the mess LOTF and FOTJ and NJO was. There was no direction. Half the time the authors are probably fighting among themselves how things should develop.
    Can't they get spielberg?
    or ridley scott?

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Scott's been busy with Prometheus + Alien: Covenant, the quality of which changes greatly depending on who you talk to.

Spielberg's busy slagging off superheroes.

You both might enjoy this bit of work that I and another fan put together, no spoilers at all:

http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2017/06/parts-of-a-plan-two-brits-debate-the-sequel-trilogy/

J_K_DART and ChildOfWinds like this.
  4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I actually liked most of those series except Dark Nest and Mara dying. The NJO was a masterpiece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    I enjoyed reading this, JB. I have to say though, that I was really shocked and very disappointed to find out that this trilogy wasn't at least mapped out in a basic way from the beginning. I think we all had the idea that it was. To find out that they didn't have an endgame in mind for the series or for the characters, is mind-boggling to me. These films are extremely expensive. Why would they risk financial disaster this way? It's worrisome to me to realize that they're making it all up as they go along. It's positively annoying to find out that all of those mystery boxes that JJ Abrams set up don't even have answers and may never be answered if the next two directors decide not to answer them or can't come up with an answer for them.

I am especially annoyed about the back story that was made up for Luke about his Jedi order being wiped out, and Luke walking away from everything and living in exile for six years, when there was no idea in place for what would happen to Luke in the future, or even why Luke took off, leaving his sister and everyone else to deal with kylo, Snoke, and the first order. That is so out of character for Luke, and to now discover that JJ really had no plan plans for luke and no explanation for why Luke left, makes it more appalling.

I remember that it was said that the reason JJ finally agreed to be the director for TFA was supposedly because of Kk's question to him, " who is Luke skywalker?" Why on earth would he accept the job after being asked that question, and then, not only not have an answer to the question, but to raise more questions about Luke and his past, and have no answers to them either? Plus, he didn't even include Luke in his film, except in a cameo for less than a minute. Yet, he managed to give Luke a miserable life and to take away his Jedi legacy. I am well and truly angry about this.

J_K_DART, Zeta1127 and Vialco like this.
  6. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    JJ did the same exact thing with Lost. But THIS time I don't think KK will leave it a mess. But this might be my last Star Wars film if it doesn't go well, especially if Luke is thrown to the wolves.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  7. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    It will be my last Star Wars film if Luke is "thrown to the wolves" or under the bus too, JM.

JediMatteus and Vialco like this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So thankful I have my ST in the NJO series, so I can watch the Disney ST, and let things play out as they may.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I was massively cheesed off by this little revelation, nor does the defence of 'SW has always been that way' cut much ice. Yes, 30-40 years ago it was done that way when it was never expected to be a success, but it's not supposed to progress and develop? Apparently not.

It'll sound surprising, as we've both had our disagreements with Hav, but get him posting on the state of affairs TFA sets up and you get a masterpiece of intellectualised venom and disdain that's very entertaining to read.

10. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    It's hard to believe that he and I are finally in complete agreement about this. Would it be possible to point me in the direction of one of those posts? I might find it very entertaining. He is definitely a smart guy. It would be good to finally be on the same side. ;)

11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Havac's review of TFA is one of my favorite reviews of that movie. He's always good at ripping things apart. I think this is the link to his review, years back.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...cussion-thread.50035495/page-96#post-53048313

I'm disappointed to hear that there's no big plan for the sequels, but in a way not surprised either, with how much I dislike TFA. I'm still tempted to try to go see TLJ at midnight (if my schedule allows) but I have no idea if it'll be worth it. After all, most of TFA's reviews are very positive, but I disagree with most of them.

Multi-author works can succeed, NJO showed that, but things like LotF and FotJ also showed the strengths and weaknesses of that approach. Well, FotJ was also a particularly blatant cash grab (LotF had three hardcovers and six paperbacks, FotJ was all hardcovers).

Even when Lucas was making it up as he went along, that doesn't mean they have to follow that example. They could have and probably should have set up a long term plan first. Well, TFA was a bit of a risk, considering it was the first new Star Wars movie in years and kicked off the Disney era, but still. It doesn't help that with Disney you never know when it will end. I wouldn't be surprised if we did get Episode X-XII someday, and who knows what they would wreck then.

Old EU works also struggled to keep Luke relevant without just killing him off in his later years. Not sure they ever really reached a good balance (NJO tried to elevate the Solo kids, but then LotF and FotJ seriously backslid). Then the Legacy comics just skipped straight ahead to ghost Luke, but even then ghost Luke didn't really contribute that much (though that was due more to really stubborn and annoying descendant than anything else).

J_K_DART likes this.
  12. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    What the

Am I really the only one who remember how NJO was trashed? There was literally a thread that said "NJO was a train". About how bad the series was.

Now reading posts everyone says it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Does no one know how NJO literally ruined SW overnight as soon as Vector Prime came out? Everything decent about SW was destroyed over and over again. ZOMFG! People!

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It won people over.

I would suggest that Traitor was the point where it started to become popular again (there were good moments before that, but Traitor seems to be the most often cited NJO book for NJO hitting its stride.)

Jedi Knight Fett and JediMatteus like this.
  14. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I still have serious problems with NJO, its just that the post-NJO was so much worse that it makes the NJO look better by comparison. It also helps that there were seriously good books during the NJO saga (and I still miss Anakin Solo a lot because of how likable he was) and the finale in TUF helped redeem the whole thing a lot.

Also by comparison, the search for Zonoma Sekot during the NJO plays out a lot more logically. They dug up old records, visited the Chiss, checked in with Han and Leia regularly, searched several locations until they found Zonoma Sekot.

Compared to TFA's Luke- maybe he went looking for the First Jedi Temple, maybe not. This old guy's got part of a map, the Empire's archives has part of a map, and Artoo's been sitting on the location for years too for some reason and just didn't feel like sharing until now.

TLJ has a lot of questions to answer, and who knows if it'll manage.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If you really want to see the NJO get a kicking, seek out the NJO Critics Thread in Community - it was locked long ago, but the posts remain, quite a few of them by my younger self.

TUF gave the NJO the finale it didn't deserve and no one expected, but just about everyone liked it - had the entirety of the NJO been of the same standard, well in Lucien's library perhaps. Where I mellowed somewhat on NJO was due to what Legacy did with the Vong and the Jedi, because that I liked a great deal. Sure, the Sith sabotage it, a new war begins, it all goes wrong, but the very idea of the Vong having progressed enough to seek atonement, which the Jedi then decide to help them with is wonderful.

I'd say Allston's first book of Enemy Lines, Rebel Dream, is one of the most loved books in the series, not least as the NR is finally allowed to unleash Wedge and the Rogues and Wraiths to kick a large amount of Vong arse.

J_K_DART likes this.
  16. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I imagine the answer is that there are different people with different opinions. Time and nostalgia also help. Chewbacca's death was shocking on release, to the point it overshadowed a lot of the rest of the story, but that shock value has dulled over time, leaving the stories to stand on their own merits. And it's usually the case that, when something new and shocking comes out, you look back more fondly on the previous shocking thing.

17. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    NJO was by far the best novels in Star Wars history . It was TRASHED by the Dark Nest

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    I still don't like the NJO! I contributed a lot of posts to that NJO critics thread too. TUF was so good though, that it sort of made the series somewhat palatable. I did like the mentioned, Rebel Dream, and the book in which Luke and Mara found out they were going to be parents. Was that Balance Point? Even the first one was okay, in retrospect, but I really didn't like the series as a whole. I absolutely hated the Vong. It looks Far better though, when it us compared to the dark nest books, the legacy of the force books and the fate of the Jedi books. They make it look WAY better! For me though, vision of the future and survivor's quest end my personal canon., and they may end up being, for me, the official canon, depending on what happens in TLJ. There is a LOT riding on that film for me. ...

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Nobody145, thank you for the link to Havac's review of TFA. As I was reading it, I realized that I had read it long ago. Jedi Ben probably steered me toward it the first time. Regardless, I thorough enjoyed it! It was such fun to read, because Havac really does have a way with words, AND, because I completely agreed with everything he said. Havoc does have a comedic talent, even when he seriously means what he says. As I said earlier, it's nice to be on the same side and agree with him for once. TFA made the OT films totally irrelevant, and completely destroyed all of the accomplishments of the OT characters, leaving them with nothing; no legacy and thoroughly miserable lives. Luke, Leia, and Han deserved far better.

J_K_DART and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Its bittersweet to me . The fun and nostalgia was so thick for me that it somewhat made up for horrible backstories. TLJ will not have such grace from me

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  21. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    *clang clang clang clang*

I heard someone say Luke was cool in the NJO and I came running!

[​IMG]

22. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Welcome back!

JediMatteus likes this.
  23. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    I seem to be one of the few on here that over that series .

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Not sure what you meant JM?

25. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Love meant to say love the series