main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    ♪♫ Oh, Maker! I was wrong. It was Coruscant all along! ♪♫
    ♪♫ Guess you finally made a momong out of me! ♪♫

Iron_lord and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Not quite - hint: the link is Serkis

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Better luck with Gollum.

1:07

4. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I wanted to link specific timed youtube videos.
    but I guess we'll have to tell people the time like you did.
    maybe Xenform 1.3?

5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Let's play a game. On the count of three name your favourite creature. Don't even think about it, just say it.

6. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    space slug that almost ate the millenium falcon in ESB

7. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Are you gonna post some kinda gif timer, or do we count to three to ourselves?

I'm so confused.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I said dianoga.

9. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Kowakian monkey-lizard!

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  11. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
  12. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Rakghouls all the way!

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Rancor! Cuz it scared the hell out of me as a kid, couldn't quite watch that scene for years, and still kinda freaks me out to this day. Also Luke killed it and that's why Luke is awesome.

15. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I think we're set to get a glimpse of Luke sooner or later in one of the Forces of Destiny episodes, so that should be cool :) (Sorry, the link was wampas...)

Circling back to a discussion I missed lol, re: NJO. To me, the NJO started well, lost its way massively after Star by Star, and ended with a good book. I still maintain that the decision to kill Anakin was a foolish one; the post-SbS books to me seemed meandering, as though they didn't know what to do now, because things weren't landing how they wanted them to. I mean, Destiny's Way just *irritated* me. This book is "the turning point." Let's illustrate it by having a prophecy. And, yeah, let's make it the turning point of everything. Suddenly the Republic is well-armed again because, uh, the droid factories in space that we've never mentioned before have finally finished production so they have more spaceships and their fleet is no longer diminished! Yeah, that works! :p

ChildOfWinds and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    The thing about Star by Star was OMG Vong is taking over Coruscant. Let's get defending. We are winning. Just one more push. Supreme Commander: Nope, it's too risky, let's all withdraw. Let the Vongs get Coruscant.

We'll never know now what the Knightfall trilogy would have meant for th NJO. Would Anakin have survived had that trilogy been published? Knightfall? Would Danni Quee be the shaped victim instead of Tahiri? Riina Kwaad absorbed by Tahiri. That was a fakeout. Imperial Star Destroyers? So ISDs are univerally agreed upon to be superior than any Mon Calamari ships?

Luke and Mara, obviously didn't try enough. 19 ABY when they got married. By 25 ABY when the Vong war started, they still didn't have one single kid.

And Mara didn't feel/read like Mara anymore. All of her spontaneity, biting humor, initiative...all gone. She became a has been whiny, dare I say, loser?

17. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Waiting only six years to have kids, and then having a child so soon after they started trying is exceedingly lucky, frankly.

Revanfan1 and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, something had to, they'd written themselves into a corner with the way they'd done it up until then, most notably with the idea that any aggressive strike the NR does against the Vong must, by definition, be evil.

19. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I would rather win first and worry about being evil last. If by winning against an evil force I become evil myself, at least it will be my evil and not someone else's.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    We know, you're the guy who'd be happy with a thousand Darth Vaders running riot.

DARTH_MU likes this.
  21. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    He brought peace, justice, and security to his new Empire.
    Until Obi-Wan ruined everything.

22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Um...what?

First off, Ben was a surprise. They weren't "trying." Secondly, when Mara did want kids, she'd contracted a disease she was afraid she'd pass on to them. It's possible that for the first 4 or so years of marriage, they weren't interested in having kids yet, and then by the time they did, it was too late because she'd contracted the disease. So then Ben was a happy accident (that, I'd remind you, Mara barely survived–again, due to her disease, so her reluctance was warranted).

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    How many kids do Han and Leia have in canon? Just one isn't it?
    Never mind that Lando and Tendra were married 18 ABY and didn't have a kid until 43 ABY.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The Skywalker with a Thousand Faces

On a serious note, maybe this is the fact I'm thirty-six years old and I've literally been on this board for SEVENTEEN YEARS. Holy crap, has it really been that long? However, I've achieved a sort of oneness with the Force about the media franchise which has literally been a part of my life to the point it helped me discover my particular branch of Christianity and shaped my ethical values system despite being a EXPY of Flash Gordon.

There's a lot of talk about the movies vs. the Expanded Universe vs. The NuEU as "what is the real Star Wars?" What is "canon"? I used to be a real big scholar of this but I've come to reject canon because it doesn't matter. These are, after all, stories of a long time ago and a galaxy far far away. George Lucas is the final authority of his vision but speaking as a writer, I'm the final authority on

MY vision of SW. That obviously doesn't matter to anyone else but it matters to me and really, does it require to matter to anyone else? Let me take it one step further--Does it MATTER what is the "true" story of Luke Skywalker? Do I have to not enjoy a story where he's not married to Mara Jade but (hypothetically) is married, instead, to Doctor Aphra or Callista? Can I not enjoy a story about him, say, being an old man who retired back on Tatooine instead of being a Jedi as I sometimes pretend Wing Commander IV was about?

My avatar basically had me grow up from writing fanfiction to writing a novel inspired by all that I loved about Star Wars and doing "my" Anakin Skywalker/Soontir Fel novel. It's got nothing to do with the "real" Star Wars but it's inspired by the themes and ideas I loved about the universe. Star of the Guardians was written in part because of Margaret Weis' desire to do her own version of Star Wars. Hell, the motifs even repeat in the EU with the fact Revan is a retelling of how they imagined Anakin Skywalker's Fall as envisioned by Bioware when they didn't know the Mandalorians wouldn't be the enemies in the Clone Wars.

It's kind of ironic that we're debating a series which was written in the Hero with a Thousand Faces and don't realize that we're debating the point of discussing how all telling of great heroic narratives have commonalities and are retellings of the same basic ideas. There's a million stories to tell with Luke Skywalker and a lot of them are going to be contradictory. That's not a bad thing. I can enjoy the Luke Skywalker of the movies, Marvel comics, Luke of Bantam, Luke of Del Ray, Luke of NJO, and Luke of Canon without believing they're necessarily the same guy or believing they are.

Canon is also kind of a ridiculous sentiment when you take a moment to think about it.

Who owns Luke Skywalker?

George Lucas created the character and directed the films but Mark Hamill created his performance while script-writers added their own touches. Fans have their own interpretations of the character which are deeply personal to them but may not exist outside their head (case in point: Boba Fett was never a badass and got eaten because of gross stupidity. He's also a goon rather than a mysterous Western neutral antihero). George Lucas sold the "rights" to Disney but how in the world does that make a difference artistically speaking? It doesn't.

I endorse everyone who says the EU is the "real" story of Star Wars. I endorse those who say it ended at VOTF. I endorse those who say Luke Skywalker is actually in love with Greedo in their fanfic.

Because there is no canon. The truth of Star Wars depends greatly on one's perspective.

From a certain point of view.

ChildOfWinds and Jedi Ben like this.
  25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013