main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Wow! Now this sounds like something I could be interested in. Love the art of Luke and leia too.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The only bad point is it's a one-shot, not a mini - yes, it was right there in the text but I still skipped that detail.

3. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Oh!!!! How disappointing!!!!!!! :(. We get so very little of and about Luke, and then when we do, the stories may or may not have really happened, as with that new book of tall tales that is in the pipeline, or we get a short one-shot, like with this comic. ... Really not much for those of us who are Luke fans in books, comics, or film. Luke only got a cameo in TFA, after all. Do so few of the new writers and filmmakers care about the character??? Sheesh!

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    We know the answer and have done for some time - they don't know what's being done with Luke in TLJ. Once that's established I think we'll get more Luke stories.

5. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    If you've read anything about the making of The Last Jedi, you would know that the people involved in Star Wars care very much about Luke Skywalker.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    We'll see, I guess. We already know that the actors seem to have been shocked by what they did with Luke in TLJ. That doesn't seem terribly encouraging to me. It didn't seem like they were shocked in a good way either. That makes me really nervous about whether I will recognize or like the character any more.

And now we are getting JJ back for episode ix. This is the guy who couldn't figure out what to do with luke in TFA, so he basically threw him out of the film, except for a cameo at the very end. I don't see how things will change with TLJ, so I really fear that JJ will just kill Luke off early in ix, because again, he may not know how to come up with a role for Luke that doesn't overshadow the new characters. :( I just don't have confidence in the filmmakers after how shabbily Luke was treated in TFA, and what a lousy backstory and life they gave him. I don't see how that shows that they "care very much for Luke". I hope very much that I am wrong, but I really hated what they did to the character in TFA. Didn't seem like much respect was shown to this iconic character, in my opinion. Yes, they SAID that they respected him, but what they DID to the character says something else entirely.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  7. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Hmmm, an interesting quote on how the new book, The Legends of Luke Skywalker, came to be:

http://www.starwars.com/news/discus...-lucasfilm-michael-siglain?cmp=smc|1114315026

8. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Hi, Dart! Interesting!

Have you seen the new trailer?
    I don't think I am going to like this new film at all. :(

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I was Luke-warm on the trailer.

There's an awful lot riding on this film for Star Wars as a whole.

J_K_DART likes this.
  10. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    I definitely agree.

I definitely didn't like seeing Luke bruised and battered and sticking his hand out of rubble. And Luke is scared silly of a nineteen year old girl???!!! He faced Vader and the emperor at the same time, and he is terrified by a young girl???!!

They seem to have taken everything from Luke: his Jedi order, his legacy, his relationship with his family, even his basic personality and characterization, and now they seem to have taken away his dignity as well. Obviously, I am greatly annoyed. It looks like I am going to be a former Star Wars fan. :(

11. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    ChildOfWinds

I by no means know any more about what will happen in TLJ then you, but I think you're taking a particularly negative view of Luke's arc. I don't think he is scared of Rey in the sense she could harm him, but rather in the sense Luke cares a lot about others and fears what her power could turn into if she were to fall like Kylo. Luke's arc is ultimately about what Yoda told him to do in ROTJ - to pass on what he had learnt. Luke has an almost unbelievable responsibility in that he holds all the knowledge of the Jedi with him and he must decide what it means if he sets the ball rolling with a restored Jedi Order. I think it's the most in character arc for Luke to have.

12. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    But at least if
    he was concerned about her powers and wasn't willing to train her, couldn't he have been portrayed as less emo about his reaction? Luke seems unstable or deranged in that trailer. Plus, wouldn't it be worse NOT to teach her how to control those powers?

Aside from that, there is still the fact that the filmmakers seem to be making Luke look like a weakling. Twice in one short trailer we see him beaten/on or under the ground. That's not treating this character with dignity or respect.

13. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Apart from the fact it's silly to judge the character development off a couple of lines and shots in a trailer, Luke appears to me to be understandably conflicted about his position. On the one hand he knows the Jedi are needed and on the other hand he knows they are needed, in some respect, because the the potential of Jedi failing. He also sees the potential for another Kylo and making the problem even worse. He's going through internal conflict, which is giving him a character arc. And he probably knows that Rey untrained is less dangerous than a trained and fallen Rey. Prior to Kylo there was no significant threat that could oppose the Jedi, however in the Jedi rebuilding this threat was created. This gives Luke a great moral quandary and him having conflict over it is far more respectful of his character than for him to just ignore it. It shouldn't matter if Luke is beaten down - it should matter that he does the right thing.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not convinced the Jedi are needed in SW, the Force's attitude seems to be closer to: Sod off and die!

Two purges in 50 years isn't an exactly subtle message.

As to the film, I want it to succeed but it has an awful lot to do.

Nobody145 likes this.
  15. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Yeah, seen the trailer :) To me, it seems as though the concept of the Chosen One is back in play. Luke believed that Ben Solo was the Chosen One, and that he would bring balance to the Force. Instead, Ben's fallen to the dark side, and cost Luke dear. Now he's met another student with a similar power-level, and he's unnerved. He blames himself for training Ben; what will he do with Rey? I can understand fear there.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    To tell you the truth, I am
    not happy about the return to the Chosen One junk. I didn't like it the first time with Anakin/Vader, so I don't know why I would want that see it again with Kylo or Rey. Sheesh! Can't they do anything original?????!!!!

17. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I would argue the Force is similar to nature - just because climate change legislation keeps getting blocked doesn't mean the legislation isn't needed or, worse, that nature actively 'wants' itself to not be protected.

The implication from the films at least is that, whatever the will of the Force is, the Sith don't follow it.

18. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Winds, did you ever look up that first new canon Marvel trade? Some really good Luke action in that.

19. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    No, not yet. I have just been so disappointed/annoyed with what the filmmakers have been doing to Luke and his legacy, that I just don't seem to have any enthusiasm for the new EU.

Hi, by the way. Haven't seen you around much.

20. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, at least the recent trailer already had more Luke footage and lines than the whole of that two-hour borefest from 2015. Still not sure how enthusiastic I am for TLJ (and I am dreading IX now after the director change). I'll be going for midnight, but am still worrying. I haven't opened most of those spoiler posts as I'm not sure how many spoilers are out in the wild yet.

I just hope after TLJ we get to actually see Jedi Luke in nucanon stuff. The Jedi are still basically non-existent in nuEU (even the prequel era hasn't had much activity). Has Luke done much in the comics? I haven't kept up with things, lost all interest by #20, given he's usually stuck having misadventures with Han. I don't trust the current writer to do much with Luke, not sure if they've changed writers yet (Gillen is definitely an improvement at least).

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  21. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Hi, Nobody! Good to hear from you.

Unfortunately, more Luke footage doesn't necessarily mean good Luke footage. What I have seen so far seems to confirm my concern about Luke being disrespected and diminished, to an even greater degree than I thought at first.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    While TLJ is not yet out, there are more positive indicators around the upcoming Jedha arc, with variant Luke covers for #38:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus a cover for #41 that looks all kinds of epic:

[​IMG]

23. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001

I'm a premed student now, teaching wasn't working out with what I want to be doing. So yeah, there are days doing college apps and prereqs I wonder if it wouldn't be easier getting shocked by force lightning. ;)

I know we disagree on this, but I'm fine with grizzled Luke. He reminds me now of Solid Snake or Big Boss, and a few other of my favorite heroes as good guys who just have lousy luck in life. I think there's something moving that for me personally.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hamill's two line delivers in the new trailer are freakin' amazing. Luke has tears brimming in his eyes on the "It didn't scare me enough then, it does now" line.

As for what's happening in the comics, Gillen said he's going to pull back on Jedi training Luke because it's gone about as far it can go before he meets Yoda so we may be seeing more of Luke in Commander Skywalker mode. Aside from the opening arc, Luke has been playing hooky a lot from the Rebel Alliance. Which, frankly, he does seem to do a lot. Didn't he just steal an Alliance property X-Wing after the Battle of Hoth and then took it galivanting around the galaxy afterwards? I wouldn't be surprised if he has it stashed somewhere on Ahch-To. Leia should take it back and use it in the Resistance.

J_K_DART and Revanfan1 like this.
  25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

This. I understand how some could be somewhat concerned from what we've seen, though I don't share their concerns, but I have no doubt (and I don't think anyone could argue), that Hamill will absolutely sell his performance as Luke Skywalker 100%.

JediMara77 and BigAl6ft6 like this.