main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    It’s filled In enough because the end result is the same and that’s not ok. We didn’t need another order 66

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Ben blaming them does not make it so. It's Ben's fault he turned out the way he did, not theirs. They did the best they could, but sometimes good parenting still produces bad children. It's ultimately the child's choice to do good or evil, and TFA made it very clear that Ben chose evil (he was intentionally fighting the call to the light). And yes, they were split, but that happened only after Ben left, and they didn't split because their marriage wasn't working; they split because of their despair. They went back to the "only thing we were ever good at." Leia became a general; Han a smuggler. It was their coping mechanism. TFA made it clear that they still loved each other as much, or more, than they did in the OT. So no, they didn't have a terrible marriage, and no, they weren't terrible parents. It's a fact, not my opinion.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That's a deal I'll take! Any others for it?

Bear in mind, I am using apocalypse in its meaning of 'revelation' too.

Someone needs to read The Legends of Luke Skywalker

J_K_DART likes this.
  4. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    After what I just found out on spoiler threads it will be an apocalypse about luke

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You mean the one here in Lit or other, out in the dark of other regions of TFN?

JediMatteus likes this.
  6. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    And I'm out of this thread since we can't seem to stop hinting at spoilers. Later folks!

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Any and all comments from me on Ep 8 are over in yonder Lit spoiler thread.

JediMatteus likes this.
  8. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    There have been postulations that can still save this whole thing but yeah not thrilled right now

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  9. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Yeah, can't read this thread anymore.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    In order to pick up the hints of spoilers, you need to already have sought out knowledge of them! As I lack that prerequisite.....

I remain convinced that my viewing of the ST in 2.5 years time will be quite the interesting experience and experiment.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Word from the press screening is very positive, particularly for Luke. Anything more will be found over in yon other spoiler thread.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Lots of negative reviews too. It’s weird the reviews seem to be contradicting on the exact same points . Idk

13. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    That's nothing new, TFA had the same problem. Many people saw TFA as a homage to the OT. I (and some others) saw it as TFA ripping off as much as possible from the OT (a recurring problem for JJ since nuTrek actually), all while dragging out the Luke Skywalker question. Which is why I found TFA such a boring movie, you have to do a better job of selling Luke as a legend rather than just having a big fight over some nebulous map. This isn't Where's Waldo.

I've glanced at two reviews so far and skipped the second one once it started getting into a few vague spoilers. Reactions have been positive, but then TFA was very popular too. A minor problem for some is a huge flaw for others. A different (probably better) director might also help. Well, hope for the best, prepare for the worst as they say.

Just another few days. I'm going opening night partially out of anticipation and partially so I won't have to worry about spoilers after that. I expect a great performance out of Mark Hamill of course, pretty sure TLJ won't waste him at the very least.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    I have not seen the Last Jedi, but glancing through a few non-spoilerly reviews. I have a feeling there will be much to talk about! :p

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    ChildOfWinds, George Lucas seems to love and be thrilled with this film, saying it was beautifully done

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    More positive than his response for TFA, but, still feels a bit negative imo.

17. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    this thread will be interesting for sure

18. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001

I believe he said something about it being beautifully made, which doesn’t really say much. It doesn’t matter how “ beautifully made” a film is if the story is lousy and the portrayals of the characters are terrible. It seems like a backhanded compliment to me. Can he really say that he hates it?

19. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, he did compare selling SW to selling his children to white slavers...

And he was less complimentary of TFA.

FWIW, I'm sure he's not happy that LucasFilm chose not to use the outlines for a sequel trilogy that he provided. I'm curious what they would have been... likely not as marketable as what we're getting.

20. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Well, yes, it actually counts for a lot.

Gone With The Wind is about a spoiled rich kid who loses everything.

21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Lucas' comments sound a little bit better than two years ago, but still intentionally vague and neutral, which is as it should be, as he did already sell the franchise. The few reviews I've seen say the movie isn't a ripoff, unlike TFA, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be great either, but I'm trying to remain open-minded. I'm going out tonight to see the movie, and I expect the boards will crash sometime in the next 48 hours due to overload, so here's hoping the movie goes well, see you all after the premiere (and whenever the boards work).

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I've seen the movie, and I can almost guarantee a lot of Luke fans will be unhappy. The movie had a lot going on, some of it actually quite good, but I felt Luke was... no longer the Luke we knew.

Nobody145 and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I'm still processing the story from TLJ and thus can't say how I feel about the movie yet, but one parallel that I noticed with something from Legends is
    that Luke's motivation to kill Ben is similar to that of the Jedi Covenant from the KOTOR comics. Obviously, the outcome in TLJ is different from that in KOTOR, but Luke was ready to kill his apprentice based on a vision. In KOTOR, the Jedi Masters did kill their apprentices because of a vision of the future

AusStig likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Time for a change of avatar.

Vialco and DigitalMessiah like this.
  25. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Loved it. Luke was different, yes, but good.