main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMatteus, Sep 12, 2015.

1. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001

Does Luke make an appearance in that book, JM?

Revanfan1, I truly hope that Luke will get to accomplish more than destroy the Death Star and save his father. He achieved both of those as a very young man. I would hate to think that throughout the rest of his life he isn't able to achieve anything. And just training one person wouldn't be enough for me either. I want Luke to be the one who rebuilds the Jedi order.

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    He is not. He does have a couple cameos in Moving Target. Have you read WotJ yet ?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I just read through all of WOTJ yesterday. I'll post more commentary later but I was really, really impressed.

JediMatteus likes this.
  4. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Me too

5. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Anybody see the new book released today? "So you want to be a Jedi" fairytale retelling of ESB. I read the sample. Interesting. It is from a first person POV . your Luke basically.

6. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    So, about WOTJ:

I thought it was a great little book. I breezed through it in I guess about 2 hours total; it was a fast read, and very enjoyable. Luke was great, and Artoo and Threepio are in-character. Jason Fry does a great job of working out each character's voice and he writes them perfectly!

The training scenes in the Temple of Eedit are excellent. In Luke's vision where he's an alien Jedi, he's totally Knox, the Nautolan Padawan from TCW, who was killed at the Temple of Eedit. The description was so bang-on that it had to be him. Anyway, I was impressed with Luke's abilities but Jason did a great job of mitigating them so Luke wasn't overpowered. He was good, but not great, which is ideal for this point in his training.

And the final battle with the Scavenger...very good. It fits very well, I feel, with Marvel SW. Luke in that is overconfident in lunging at Vader and quickly ending up disarmed, which makes sense because if he just recently defeated the Scavenger he might have been overconfident and believed he could take Vader, too. The Scavenger himself is a very interesting character and I hope we learn more about him; he is mysterious and I can't quite wrap my head around his motivations for betraying Luke. The only thing I can think is, "there's got to be more here." So props to Fry on that. As for Luke's thoughts about letting him rot...I don't know, it worked for me. A bit vicious, sure, but Luke's still young here and this is the guy who almost shot Yoda for spooking him on Dagobah. Sure he's going to be a little ticked that the Scavenger betrayed him.

Luke's declaration to rebuild the Jedi Order and return to Eedit? Just yes. I love it.

Overall, this is a very good book and one of the best Luke stories in a long time. Good work, Jason!

Darth_Pevra, JediMatteus and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Yes! I finished weapon of a Jedi, and I really did like it. The Luke characterization was great!

What I didn't quite understand though was why the scavenger helped Luke fight the imperials? The scavenger no longer needed Luke to show him the way into the temple, because he had already done that. If he would have stayed hidden, the imperials would have killed or captured Luke and left, and then he would have been free to loot whatever treasures he thought were in the temple, with no interference. I know farnay said something about him maybe wanting Luke for his collection or something, but I'm not so sure that he would have been able to hold Luke for long.

I also don't understand why this character wasn't just killed off in that fall? It almost seems like there's unfinished business between that guy and Luke. I wonder if there will be another sequel? Even if this guy appears in a film someday, I can't imagine that a character from a young reader would be a major character in a film... Is that guy's weapon sort of like maul's?

I did like that the creatures helped Luke, and that Luke was kind to them and helped them by making it impossible for anyone to hunt them, before he flew off world.

Of course, the best part was that Luke promised that he would restore the Jedi order. After making that vow in a book which is now canon, the filmmakers had better not have Luke break that promise!

When do the prologue and epilogue take place?[/quote]

Revanfan1 and JediMatteus like this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it's the other way round - the character was created for Episode VII - the Story Group showed the author that Episode VII character and said "You can use him in this story".

9. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    You could very well be right.

10. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    No "could very well be."

Sarco is in The Force Awakens. You can see him in the Vanity Fair photos and he will have an action figure.

You guys should pay more attention to confirmed stuff than rumors. ;)

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [/quote]

Finally! See? Kept telling you to read it! :)

As to that fight, my take is the Imperials weren't going to differentiate between Luke and Sarco.

Revanfan1 and JediMatteus like this.
  12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I think the whole purpose of Sarco is that he's very ambiguous. He's a mystery. He can be filled out later–his motives, his past, etc. The purpose here was to establish him, and Fry certainly did a good job of that. His weapon, BTW, is more like the electrostaffs that MagnaGuards use.

The prologue and epilogue take place immediately before TFA.

13. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    So, we really think he will have some role in the future. He becomes a major enemy of Luke, because Luke left him to die? Is that what im hearing?

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd be happier with a less personally motivated relationship where Luke and Sarco are concerned.

Sarco shouldn't be obsessing over Luke, but he should certainly recognise him when their paths cross once more, as should Luke.

15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Not at all. But he could certainly appear again.

He's definitely a background character in TFA, similar to Aurra Sing in TPM, so we at least know he survived until then.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, he needs to be more than blink-and-you'll-miss-her Aurra Sing.

Hopefully LFL have learnt from that and aren't trying to manufacture a 'cool' new character.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Finished the Luke book. Very interesting. Can't wait to see where that whole thing goes. Hope it goes somewhere interesting.
    If not, fanfic it is.

JediMatteus and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

I've already got epic plans and I haven't even seen TFA yet.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    That was a fun read, so where is Mark Hamill serving pints of Guinness tonight? :)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    New variants for Shattered Empire #4:

By Sara Pichelli:

[​IMG]

As to the next one, well... it never gets old, does it?

[​IMG]

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  22. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Those were great, JB! And that new cover looks good too!

I still don't understand why sarco helped Luke only to try to kill him later? It still doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

It seems that the girl might be force sensitive too, since she apparently knew that sarco was hoping to attack before he did.
    I would actually rather have her in the film than sarco.....

Thanks for the information, R. I'm going to put a little spoiler box here, just in case...

okay, if the prologue and epilogue are from shortly before TFA, the people in the galaxy must know he's alive, as the girl speaks of him in the present tense. I originally thought that it was possible that people might have assumed that Luke died in the attack on the academy. It also seems strange that she speaks of him as though he hasn't been missing for a really long time. It seems that the Death Star is still looked upon as Luke's greatest achievement, as she doesn't mention any recent accomplishments. Definitely hope that destroying that Death Star and saving his father weren't Luke's only achievements. I see she didn't mention anything about Jedi... It's all rather interesting, but odd too.[/spoilers]

23. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Those look great.

24. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah I'm really concerned with Luke's legacy. Yes much can be recouped in the coming trilogy , but still not thrilled with what I am seeing with his history.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  25. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, she's a pilot. Of course the Death Star would be the achievement she remembers him for!

ChildOfWinds and JediMatteus like this.