main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SOS - SON OF SKYWALKER : YOU (THE FANS) ARE MY ONLY HOPE!! SAVE ME... (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Skydancer, Feb 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    SPOILERS

CoW:
    And, judging by TJK, Del Rey seems to be repeating the plots of the NJO in the Dark Nest trilogy as well!

Hmm, was I the only one who felt the end of TJK felt way too similar to VP?

Which is REALLY arrogant and selfish...and can be dangerous as well. He also spent five years learning all different aspects of the Force from different groups, not to teach them to the other Jedi, but just for himself. That seems very selfish to me.

Well put! Ironically, that's why I liked it; it's very, very dangerous!

MS:
    Good points. Pretty hard for Cal to respect the Jedi when they bicker like that!

Where's Jacen heading? I don't know; that's what makes it interesting. But as for the dark side, well, I'm hoping that'll be involved alright...

RJ:
    Hmm, interesting quotes. So Corran chooses in favour of Luke; pleasing... But indicative of the division that's coming.

As an aside, Ben, I love some ST fiction; particularly the New Frontier series.

END SPOILERS

2. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Possible spoilers below:
    Excellence;
    You haven't played KOTOR? It's almost first class, if not for a few game play glitches. Its sequel fixed them all up, only they released the game shamelessly unfinished. But KOTOR itself is superb. It's excellent that they're comic-ising it.

No, I've never played. I don't play video games. Did you say that they're making it into a comic book series?

MasterSkywalker86:
    DR seems to be contradicting themselves.

You're right, because they claimed that Luke was too powerful, yet they went right ahead and had Jacen and Anakin Solo do all kinds of far more powerful things that Luke never did! :(

yeah i would think luke was the voice of reason in TJK.

I love it when Luke is portrayed as "the voice of reason". By now, he should be, and pretty much all the time, instead of being indecisive and not knowing what's right.

hmmmm weird, i would think zahn would let this character return to the spotlight, but maybe gavirsom's RESOURCEFULNESS got the best of him. maybe he died in the VY war ?

Well, Zahn didn't write any of the NJO books. Gavrisom was in VotF and then he just seemed to disappear. I don't know where he was in the NJO. That's why when we were discussing who should be the Chief of State, I wondered what had happened to Gavrisom. He certainly would have been better than Borsk Fey'lya!

o Child ye have so little fate in luke's order,

LOL! Yes, I'm afraid you're right MS!

i think luke should have a chat with the council to clear things up about the new way and who do the jedi serve. when is TUS coming out the end of september ?

It's actually TUQ, because it's The Unseen Queen, I think. But yes, it comes out the last Tuesday in September. But the last book of the trilogy, The Swarm War, doesn't some out until after Christmas! It was supposed to come out in November. :(

well characterization wise he does a good luke, but with the new way mumbo jumbo, i think he just clearing up that the darth chicken was really wrong about the potentium.

I think you're right about that. But I wish he would have had Luke NOT follow Darth Chicken. I would have liked it if Luke had been shown to be right and following the correct philosophy, the right path. But Luke allowed Cilghal to torture that killik and Alema. I still can't get over that!

i think he is setting us up for something well in the trilogy.

I hope you're right about this!

well ben is only 8, so i don't think he would mind that much,

Oh, I think he would want to have a sibling. He has no one his age to interact with. His cousins are much older; he has no brothers and sisters; and since he's always going from place to place with his parents, he doesn't get to play with other children. I feel really sorry for him! He's always only with adults. That's not good for him!:(

well didn't they insist on him to stay instead of have him go on the mission ? i think he said he would have gone, but for some reason he was needed where he was.

I think the book made up some lame excuse that he was too well known or something like that. But Luke could have gone in disguise. And since he knows the Fallanassi trick of hiding things, he may have been able to arrive unseen.

yeah now imagine him in entirely in green and you have link, here is a pic

I'll have to check this out when I go back online!

i mean would it kill lucasfilm to make a tv show with the OT characters after ROTJ. seriously i don't see the reason why not.

They seem to be putting all of their eggs into one basket. They're doing both the live action show and the cartoon in the prequel times. (or right after the prequels)

i mean you liked some of NJO ?

Not very much. VP wasn't bad. I liked BP and TUF, but that was about it. The Dark Tide books weren't too bad either, I guess. But I really didn't like the whole premise. I could have done very well with never meet

3. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Spoilers:

J_K_DART;
    Hmm, was I the only one who felt the end of TJK felt way too similar to VP?

That's pretty much what I meant by saying that "judging by TJK, Del Rey seems to be repeating the plots of the NJO in the Dark Nest trilogy".

I had a general feeling that the Jedi problems and the conflict between the Jedi and the government in TJK were very similar to what we were given during the NJO. And, yes, in VP the Jedi were being called rogues because they were going after pirates and smugglers, and Luke was thinking that he should set up the Jedi Council to give them direction. Once again in TJK, Luke is thinking that there are problems with the Jedi and changes need to be made.

There were also disagreements among the Jedi about what to do about the YV, with some wanting a more active approach and others wanting not wanting to rush into things without gathering information, etc. In TJK, there were disagreements about whether the Jedi served the government or the Force.

And in the NJO, the politicians were upset with the Jedi. This is true in TJK too.

And Kyp seems to have gone back to being immature again. :(

Which is REALLY arrogant and selfish...and can be dangerous as well. He also spent five years learning all different aspects of the Force from different groups, not to teach them to the other Jedi, but just for himself. That seems very selfish to me.
    Well put! Ironically, that's why I liked it; it's very, very dangerous!

Again, I would like to see Jacen learn some very valuable lessons and be shown how wrong and selfish he has been. I hope Luke will be the one to help teach him those lessons. BUT, I *will* be *very* disappointed if instead of being proven wrong, Jacen is written to be the amazing, perfect, super-Jedi who is the model for all the others. If his arrogance and selfishness is rewarded with him being the major hero in this trilogy, I think I will lose my lunch. :( That may also be the end of my SW reading.

Pretty hard for Cal to respect the Jedi when they bicker like that!

It's hard for ANYONE to respect the Jedi when they bicker like that. It would be bad enough for them to do it in private, but they did it in front of the Chief of State and in front of other guests as well. I'm glad Luke stopped them, but I think he should have done it sooner.

Where's Jacen heading? I don't know; that's what makes it interesting. But as for the dark side, well, I'm hoping that'll be involved alright...

So am I!

So Corran chooses in favour of Luke; pleasing... But indicative of the division that's coming.

Well, I'm not sure that Corran DOES choose in favor of Luke. We just know that he has that big decision to make, and it seems like he's going to ask someone...or maybe he's going to meditate in the Force. Either way, Leia DID seem pleased that he was going to think about it or ask someone about it, so she must have thought that maybe he would opt for Luke. Even if Corran doesn't side with Luke, I certainly hope Leia does. I don't want to see the Skywalker twins on opposite sides of the conflict.

I really wonder what the conflict is about!

End spoilers

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

You need to learn the arts yourself before teachering it to others, you know. ;) He's still learning, not mastered anything yet. By rights, now that I think about it, he should look 30. Besides, why does he need to share it?

The Therans, Jensaari and Dathomirians are one arm, Aing Tii and Fallanasi are another matter. They couldn't be easy to track, and Pell wasn't pleased with his progress anyway. Selfless selfishness spawns better chraacterisation than butterfly models, no? :cool:

5. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Spoilers(o when will Aug 27th come ?):_|

Vader2B

hello Vader2B, welcome to the thread. um... i don't think skydancer has been here for quite a while. i don't know where she is, but hopefully she'll come back.

JK Dart

Good points. Pretty hard for Cal to respect the Jedi when they bicker like that!

thanks, i mean i expect that maybe apprentices would bicker like that, but not respected jedi masters. i mean if they are suppose to lead their fellow jedi, then the order has already fallen apart. I just hope luke just fixes things by TUQ or TWS and finds the true path.

But as for the dark side, well, I'm hoping that'll be involved alright...

cue the imperial march theme and have jacen don his grandfather's suit and i think we'll have a darksider.

JediBen

Oh definitely! I would still argue the Cube has the best cross section of games going, way above the PS2.

Ben all you have to do is mention the word nintendo, i mean it has the best videogame franchises around. mario is a key figure thanks to nintendo, i remember having the system and boy was i hooked(sadly i only played a bit of the orignal zelda). atari was good for a bit, but nintendo was good for hours.

I mean we go from REsident Evil to Super Monkey Ball! (Yeah, it's out for PS" but just try using the less precise PS2 analogue stick!

how about legend of zelda windwaker ?, super smash bros., and RS 2 ?

I'm convinced the PS2 Resi 4 will not match the Cube, the later levels were just too graphically intense.

there is one gun i want from the ps2 version, it's called the plagas removal laser, PRL. here's a pic in the words of luis "it's game time".

Shoot an evil monk in the knees and then whilst its on the floor blast it in the head, expert note: Shotgun or Magnum is the preferred option!

yeah but once i had the chicago typewriter...... well you can figure it out yourself. the semi-auto sniper rifle was fun.;)

Well, ever see Tears Of The Prophets? It was DSN's 6th series finale, one review cited the nearest comparison for the battle was ROTJ's!

i'm sorry, ever since i saw a clip of william shatner singing(or whatever he calls it) i was scarred for life.;) what does DSN stand for ?

Save for the fact that until Clone Wars Trek was decking Wars, where the editors are concerned I'll trust Marco Palmieri far more than Shelly Shapiro.

wow, you r a trekkie.:p jk, but the star trek books must be well done then.

In creative terms, the two are very different and should remain so

YES!! i never want to hear han say beam up chewie.:p

Although I think it could be argued that with the PT the SW EU has perhaps lost its grip on the positive values it was associated with and it needs to reclaim them.

i hope SW reclaims its postive values and start making star wars books that are star wars books. dark saber had the whole star wars feel to it. Del-Rey is on the right direction.

ChildofWinds

hey i'm glad to "see" ya on my thread. ;)

Jacen and Anakin Solo do all kinds of far more powerful things that Luke never did!

please CoW it's late, don't make write down luke's powerful feat list, it's just too long. jk :p. though i wouldn't say luke wasn't considered powerful, its just that we haven't seen him doing much, that's all.

I love it when Luke is portrayed as "the voice of reason".

same here, we probably like it so much because he's in character.

Well, Zahn didn't write any of the NJO books.

Too bad, the NJO could of used his RESOURCEFULNESS, don't you think ? ;)

That's why when we were discussing who should be the Chief of State, I wondered what had happened to Gavrisom. He certainly would have been better than Borsk Fey'lya!

maybe he perished in NJO. al

6. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Spoilers:

Excellence;
    You need to learn the arts yourself before teachering it to others, you know. He's still learning, not mastered anything yet.

Well, he told Little Ben that he wasnn't going to go searching anymore. I got the impression that he didn't think anyone could really teach him anything else. Another example of his arrogance. And it didn't seem like he was planning to teach anyone anything. He still considers himself apart from the rest of the Jedi. Maybe he thinks he's too good for them.

sides, why does he need to share it?

Because he spent 5 years selfishly going around the galaxy to learn about the Force when there were so few Jedi and he was needed in the galaxy. The least he could do is share his knowledge with others so they can use those gifts to help others. [color]

lfless selfishness spawns better chraacterisation than butterfly models, no?

All I can say is that Jacen irritates me about as much as Vergere did, which is really saying something! I TRULY want to see him eat some humble pie! ;)

What did you think of Jacen, the ex-pacifist sending a fleet into an already dangerous situation, Excellence?

Masterskywalker:
    Spoilers(o when will Aug 27th come ?)

I'm getting rather tired of them myself. You'll notice I'm not leaving as much space anymore!

, i mean i expect that maybe apprentices would bicker like that, but not respected jedi masters.

It definitely doesn't seem right! Luke had better fix things PRONTO!

cue the imperial march theme and have jacen don his grandfather's suit and i think we'll have a darksider.

LOL!

Seriously though, I'd like to see Luke redeem someone again!

YES!! i never want to hear han say beam up chewie.

Thanks for the chuckle, MS! :)

hey i'm glad to "see" ya on my thread.

;)

please CoW it's late, don't make write down luke's powerful feat list, it's just too long. jk . though i wouldn't say luke wasn't considered powerful, its just that we haven't seen him doing much, that's all.

Right! Del Rey is willing to let everyone else show off their powerful talents, but for some reason, not our boy, Luke! :(

same here, we probably like it so much because he's in character.

EXACTLY, MS!

And yes, I do think that the NJO could have used some of Zahn's resourcefulness! At least, Luke certainly could have used it!

maybe he perished in NJO. all i know is cal better start acting like a good leader or else.

Maybe the guy is overwhelmed? Maybe the job is a lot harder than he thought it would be? He's stressed out so he's taking out his frustrations on Luke and the Jedi?

you really do want me to bring out the list of luke's achievements don't you ? (the man walked on lava, LAVA!!!!)

Well, those lists DO help! ;)

it's really depressing that they couldn't release it in late august, you know when i actually have some time to read books.

Yes, August would have been better for me too!

well i know most boys at that age wanted a robot and ben has Nanna. perhaps he would like an actual friend or maybe a pet. i wouldn't mind if there was a sister though.

Ben might actually prefer a pet, at least for a while. ;) But I think he should have a sister. Then he would have someone to confide in his whole life. And he DOES need someone close to his own age to interact with.

well cmon now Cow you know the NJO had no common sense, i mean luke could have leviated himself to fight Nyax but didn't. i mean the list goes on and on.

Oh, SO true, MS! The NJO had NO common sense, no logic whatsoever. It would have made FAR too much sense for just Luke to go on the mission, or just Luke and Ma

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    COW,

Okay, now I'm a little confused. We have Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master. I'm assuming that Silverthorn comes after that. So is Darkness at Sethanon the last in that particular quartet?

* I think the story actual goes like this: Feist writes Magician as a single book, in the UK it is 1, in the US it is 2 books, to Feist and his publishers surprise, it is a huge hit. Thus a sequel is requested, so we have Silverthorn and Darkness At Sethanon. For whatever reason Silverthorn was deemed the 3rd book, bit similar to how LOTR is actually 6 books but is often printed as trilogy.

Okay. I got the impression from reading the little blurbs for some of the later books at the end of Apprentice that Arutha seems to be the only character that is mentioned in all of them. I didn't see Pug or Tomas mentioned after the first few books.

* Oh, they are involved in one way or another. As for Arutha, I love the character: Quiet, introspective and kick-arse.

Do Pug and Tomas ever marry? I get the idea from a discussion between the two of them early in Apprentice, that they won't.

* Without giving it away, they do, although I take it you mean married in the traditional way? ;) And not, say, to each other? You'd be surprised at how often accusations of **** Yeah, just try and make sense of it.

Having read the NJO, I thing I understand what you mean!

* And you haven't even got to that point in Feist!

But basically true, I think. They're in it to make money. I don't think they really care much about whether the product is all that great or not unfortunately.

* Well, I was applying my understanding of bidding in relation to how my local train company runs the trains, their license bid seems to have nothing to do with how they actually run things. Still, they are wholly committed to customer service....

I suppose. But it was like the Empire of the Hand and a couple of other groups had disbanded.
    Did I also read that Thrawn's fortress had been destroyed?

* Apparently Niruan got blasted.

I wish Star Wars were like that too. Too many SW fans want EVERYTHING to be connected, to the detriment of the characters and the universe, I think.

* Connecting is great, so long as it is somewhat optional, that stories stand on their own or accurately summarise referenced works concisely if mentioned. DC Comics is presently hacking off comic fans due to linkage overload and I can see the point, as it's insane. The only reason I don't mind is that it has a finite period of 6 months attached to it, which is just as well as the money isn't going to sustain this kind of abuse for much longer. Even so, if the story is big and good enough, it can be permitted. I'm trusting DC's mega-epic will be and I don't think I'll be disappointed as I know the creators on it, unlike say NJO!

That makes perfect sense to me...maybe too much sense for Del Rey!

* Highly likely!

I have no idea what he's like, but I'd still be more inclined to trust him than Shelly Shapiro!

* Marco has been the editor since I've been buying Trek books, quite a high quality overall.

Oh, JB! I agree completely!!!!! Before the PT, I always thought of SW as a very hopeful, optimistic story and universe. The good guys won and they kept their virtue. The ending, both in ANH and in RotJ was a happy one, upbeat and joyous. Good triumphed over evil. There was also the positive redemption message: If even evil Darth Vader can be saved, there's hope for everyone. But both the PT and the current EU is depressing and pessimistic. We need some more positive, feel-good, satisfying stories!

* Exactly the point!

MS86,

how about legend of zelda windwaker ?, super smash bros., and RS 2 ?

* Off-topic tangent ahoy! Let's go! RS2 was the game I bought the cube for and when I blew the Death Star...Smash Bros is wonderfully demented whilst Wind Waker is sublime. Resident Evil Zero and the Metroid Prime games are very good, as is the eyeball-melter that is F-Zero think of Burnout 3 on max boost all the time and you're

8. Sith-Pirate

Sith-Pirate Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2001
    All I can say is that Jacen irritates me about as much as Vergere did, which is really saying something!

It's odd. When I read this I started thinking. Maybe Jacen is possessed by Vergere's spirit. He's the only one who saw her as a ghost after all. Plus he apparently didn't want anybody seeing his brain scan. Perhaps it would have revealed something.

I do think Jacen's been a bit out of character. But that could be just Del-Rey stupidity.

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    SPOILERS(what a surprise):rolleyes:

ChildofWinds

I'm getting rather tired of them myself. You'll notice I'm not leaving as much space anymore!

it's just getting to the point that it's a waste of time and pretty much everyone has seen the book. :(

It definitely doesn't seem right! Luke had better fix things PRONTO!

exactly!!

Seriously though, I'd like to see Luke redeem someone again!

yeah i would like to see something positive happen in SW, i like the dark tone, but like after ESB i wanted ROTJ to bring all the positive aspects back.

Thanks for the chuckle, MS!

i think we all need to laugh a bit, i'm tired of everyone reading EU and being so frustrated over it. i mean we read it to enjoy it.

Right! Del Rey is willing to let everyone else show off their powerful talents, but for some reason, not our boy, Luke!

yeah the editors must of been like,

editor 1:what if we have luke do this mission ?
    editor 2:NO, no,no it would be too easy to send him.
    editor 3:what about anakin solo ?
    editor 4: sounds like gold. ;)

And yes, I do think that the NJO could have used some of Zahn's resourcefulness! At least, Luke certainly could have used it!

no arguing with that. i mean at least have the man do something. even on the www.sw.com boards they also have a luke thread. so that's telling us something.

Maybe the guy is overwhelmed? Maybe the job is a lot harder than he thought it would be? He's stressed out so he's taking out his frustrations on Luke and the Jedi?

well maybe he wasn't ready for the job, but why did he put himself in that place to begin with ?

Well, those lists DO help!

well since you insist! ;)

Courtesy of Lijot

levitates a star destroyer-DE
    moves a black hole
    Choke, grip, storm - RoTJ, CoPL, New Rebellion, Planet of Twilight.
    Invisible in the force - RoTJ.
    Defeats the Emperor at full peak(the battle was a very fast impressive duel) - DE.
    destroys an AT-AT with the force - DE.
    uses the force to absorb/deflect two laser blasts from AT-AT canons-DE
    rebuilds Vader's castle - Black Fleet Crisis 1.
    Making himself, and anything else invisible - BFC.
    use mind trick for a week on Tusken Raiders - Darksaber.
    Levitation - CoPL.
    walks on Lava - JAT.
    Protection from choke (can protect others too) - DE-2.
    Lightning - DE.
    Emerald lightning - TUF.
    Whirlwind with boulders - Onslaught.
    stops all YV misslies from hitting a planet for half a day- Onslaught
    Doppelganger - DE.
    Shield - DE-2.
    Reviving himself - Children of the Jedi.
    Nightsisters - CoPL.
    Regeneration - CoPL.
    flies & operates the Falcon himself(a 3 man job) - CoPL.
    levitates a dozen killiks in midair-TJK
    survives in space without oxygen-DS
    the only person i know who was a force ghost and came back to life.-JAT

a very impressive list if i say so myself. he's pretty much the super-man of SW.(minus the glasses) ;)

Yes, August would have been better for me too!

they don't release anything in august.

Ben might actually prefer a pet, at least for a while. But I think he should have a sister. Then he would have someone to confide in his whole life. And he DOES need someone close to his own age to interact with.

yup, defintely.

It would have made FAR too much sense for just Luke to go on the mission, or just Luke and Mara, so of course Del Rey wouldn't do that! Besides, Del Rey didn't seem to want Luke (or any of the adults really) to do much of anything that might take the spotlight off of the younger characters.

their whole evil & brillant plan and what a surprise the fans didn't like it one bit.

The older generation had to be made to look like idiots in order for the younger generation to shine. At least, that seems to be what Del Rey thought. They FINALLY seemed to bow to pressure though and they let Luke do a few things in TUF.

yeah exactly. i'm glad they did let luke and the big 3 d

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    MS86,

Well the gamecube had some good games but had a bad rap since it was referred to as the kiddie system.

* True, then Nintendo unleashed Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness, 2 games that are guaranteed to screw your head up!

LOL, have you ever wonder why there is so many identical merchants in the game ?

* I just loved the idea! The voice was wonderfully dodgy.

i hated the guy that looked like Napoleon.

* That'll be Salazar, to whom I gave a presonal introduction to the delights of a missile warhead!

Ashley: LEON!!! help!
    Leon: Don't worry Ashley, I'm cming for ya!

the acting was a bit funny.

* Yeah, but it's Resi not Final Fantasy.

then there's Ben Sisko....

who's that ?

* Easily the most hard Trek Captain going save Kirk. Where TNG had the Enterprise being woussy Sisko's inclination would be to blow the crap out of a known enemy and then look for any others. When leading a Federation fleet of 600 ships and came across a Dominion fleet of 1200 vessels, Sisko decided to attack with the aim of punching through! Cue one hell of a battle, with excellent CGI. This was 1997 and DSN was learning all manner of tricks from Babylon 5, the result was of the most gritty and best Trek stories going. Another time, in response to Maquis terrorism, Sisko threatened to poison the atmosphere of one of their bases, gave ample time for them to evacuate, when they didn't cease their campaign he went and did it too!

Not at all, i'm sure there are plenty of fans that like both. IMO, i don't think ST has the emotion and humanity that we can relate to in SW. I have seen one movie about ST, i think it's when Patrick Stewart meets William Shatner and somehow Whoopi was Goldberg was in it. Kirk: KAHNNNNNNN!!!!

* Hmm, care to elaborate? This sounds interesting, though any answer I give you is likely to be DSN-based.

JB

11. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I like the Luke list, but I couldn't help notice and commenting on the fact that most of those accomplishment were in Bantam and the comics. Not much from Del Rey's end, which is why this thread started in the first place. ;)

12. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001

Jedi Ben;
    Thus a sequel is requested, so we have Silverthorn and Darkness At Sethanon.

Okay, so Darkness At Sethanon IS a part of that first set of books? It's the conclusion of that particular arc, right?

* Oh, they are involved in one way or another.

Thanks!

Do Pug and Tomas ever marry? I get the idea from a discussion between the two of them early in Apprentice, that they won't.
    * Without giving it away, they do, although I take it you mean married in the traditional way? And not, say, to each other?

Stars! Of COURSE I meant in the traditional way! I guess I didn't formulate that question very well, did I? LOL!

DO you mean some people actually..... ?????????? Oh brother!

* And you haven't even got to that point in Feist!

No, I'm only half way through Apprentice!

Still, they are wholly committed to customer service....

You're very lucky if that's so!!!

* Apparently Niruan got blasted.

I'd love to know who caused even more damage than Mara! And I'd surely like to find out what Child of Winds is doing these days! ;)

* Hmm, not quite sure on DR heading in the right direction but we'll know come Jan 2006.

We certainly will!

Sith-Pirate;
    All I can say is that Jacen irritates me about as much as Vergere did, which is really saying something!
    It's odd. When I read this I started thinking. Maybe Jacen is possessed by Vergere's spirit. He's the only one who saw her as a ghost after all. Plus he apparently didn't want anybody seeing his brain scan. Perhaps it would have revealed something.

Oh! Now *that's* something that had never occurred to me! It would explain much....

Still, don't you think Leia, Jaina, and Luke would be able to sense that Jacen was Vergere? Otherwise, that's a very creative idea, SP!

I do think Jacen's been a bit out of character. But that could be just Del-Rey stupidity.

Del Rey is very well known for writing people out of character. In the NJO, I don't think ANYONE was written in-character!

MasterSkywalker86;
    it's just getting to the point that it's a waste of time and pretty much everyone has seen the book.

I agree. Just a couple more days though!

yeah i would like to see something positive happen in SW, i like the dark tone, but like after ESB i wanted ROTJ to bring all the positive aspects back.

Unfortunately, we probably won't get much that's positive in TUQ. :( I've heard that this trilogy is set up similar to the OT films, in which the first one came to a satisfactory conclusion; the second had everything go really badly for the good guys; and the third resolved all of the problems and was upbeat. So I fear we have to wait at least until the end of January for a positive book.

i think we all need to laugh a bit, i'm tired of everyone reading EU and being so frustrated over it. i mean we read it to enjoy it.

I agree with you!

editor 1:what if we have luke do this mission ?
    editor 2:NO, no,no it would be too easy to send him.
    editor 3:what about anakin solo ?
    editor 4: sounds like gold.

Sounds highly likely!

even on the www.sw.com boards they also have a luke thread. so that's telling us something.

Are they saying about the same things we are?

well maybe he wasn't ready for the job, but why did he put himself in that place to begin with ?

Probably wanted the power and prestige.

well since you insist!
    Courtesy of Lijot
    a very impressive list if i say so myself. he's pretty much the super-man of SW.(minus the glasses)

LOL!!! I like the list, MS! Unfortunately, as MS said, very few of those impressive deeds were written in Del Rey books. :( They need to add to that list by having Luke perform MORE impressive feats!

I miss Lijot. I wonder why Lijot disappeared?

Del Rey didn't seem to want Luke (or any of the adults really) to do much of anything that might take the spotlight off of the younger characters.
    thei

13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Spoilers(only a few more days):)

SithPirate

intresting theory SP, not so farfetched as your other one. ;)

yes he has been out of his pacifist ways.

Jedi Ben

True, then Nintendo unleashed Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness, 2 games that are guaranteed to screw your head up!

that and wind waker, fear link'S over proportion size head and his deep eyes. Still the gamecube was a good system, i just think lack of a dvd support brought it down.

That'll be Salazar, to whom I gave a presonal introduction to the delights of a missile warhead!

I greeted him with a head shot courtesy of my sniper rifle and i introduce myself to saddler the same way.;)

* Yeah, but it's Resi not Final Fantasy.

i gave up on FF after the ninth game came out. it was an intresting rpg experience, but it's not my type of game. still RE needs to beef up their acting, i mean sometimes in RE 4 they sound like the original RE acting genius. remember that ? :p though besides RE for horror games i also play the silent hill series, now that is some screw up stuff.

This was 1997 and DSN was learning all manner of tricks from Babylon 5, the result was of the most gritty and best Trek stories going. Another time, in response to Maquis terrorism, Sisko threatened to poison the atmosphere of one of their bases, gave ample time for them to evacuate, when they didn't cease their campaign he went and did it too!

sounds intresting, but it's not my cup of tea. The guy though sounds like a hardcore captain.

* Hmm, care to elaborate? This sounds interesting, though any answer I give you is likely to be DSN-based.

well i mean i know people can relate to the characters in star wars. dunno about star trek, like i said it's not my thing. when i first saw the SE for the first time, i immediatley loved it. star wars was more of fairy tale in space then an actual sci-fi movie. you had the hero(luke), the rogue(han), the princess(leia), the wizard(obi-wan), loyal companion(chewie), and the comedy relief( r2 & c-3po).

the characters were believeable, they had character, they had feeling and emotion. i'm not saying star trek doesn't, it's just with SW i clicked right away. you may like phasers JB or whatever they use now a days, but give me a good saber at my side, kid.;)

MariahJade2

I like the Luke list, but I couldn't help notice and commenting on the fact that most of those accomplishment were in Bantam and the comics. Not much from Del Rey's end, which is why this thread started in the first place.

thanks MJ, though i got this mostly from Lijot.:)

yeah the only things he has done so far in del-rey is what he did in TUF and TJK. lets wait for TUQ and TSW, hopefully he'll do something really impressive.

ChildofWinds

I agree. Just a couple more days though!

yeah then school will start as well. sigh....:rolleyes:

I've heard that this trilogy is set up similar to the OT films, in which the first one came to a satisfactory conclusion; the second had everything go really badly for the good guys; and the third resolved all of the problems and was upbeat.

well first off i wouldn't say everything was positive in TJK, you have the rogue jedi still joiners, you have the GFFA patching things up, jedi found the wrong way to use the force, lomi causing some trouble, and a one armed a skimpy alema(i mean does she like to showw off) running around.(or was she dead?)[face_worried]. maybe they have the order on backwards, with the negative story on first.:oops:

S

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

What did you think of Jacen, the ex-pacifist sending a fleet into an already dangerous situation, Excellence?

I'm thinking Troy knows exactly what he's doing. The first book sets up character interaction and events; subsequent books will develop them further. Tenel is as much to blame, of course, and it all comes back to [face_love]

It was love that stuffed up Haydon; it's personal feelings that is beginning to stuff up the Jedi of that book. Love for Jacen had Tenel sending that fleet; she wouldn't have done it for me. It's called full circling back to the prequel era. Whether events will repeat again is what the trilogy is all about.

A good script for a trilogy, and Troy can handle it.

15. Sith-Pirate

Nov 16, 2001
    Still, don't you think Leia, Jaina, and Luke would be able to sense that Jacen was Vergere? Otherwise, that's a very creative idea, SP!

The only example I can compare it to would be in the JAT. Luke, nor anybody else realized Kyp was possesed by Exar Kun until it was obvious.

intresting theory SP, not so farfetched as your other one.

Oh c'mon, you still don't believe me? Even Stevie Wonder could tell you Luke was faking his fight with Palpatine in ROTJ. Or were you talking about the spoiler that Artoo is really Luke?

i hope he or she comes back, probably vacation. do u know if it is a he or she ?

He's a he. That's what he told JB at least. He hasn't logged on since mid-July so maybe his computer's down.

Yikes! That IS hard! Deep Space 9 was the one Star Trek series that I never saw. I don't think I even saw one episode of it.

But in the Marvel series Luke and Han threatened to destroy a whole civilization if they didn't cure Lando.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    COW,

Okay, so Darkness At Sethanon IS a part of that first set of books? It's the conclusion of that particular arc, right?

*Yep!

* Oh, they are involved in one way or another.

Thanks!

Stars! Of COURSE I meant in the traditional way! I guess I didn't formulate that question very well, did I? LOL!

* You opened the door to one-liner from the Brit Side! :)

DO you mean some people actually..... ?????????? Oh brother!

* It is useless to resist an innuendo attack powered by the Brit Side of the Force! ;)

* Ah, sorry, I was being very sarcastic!

Unfortunately, we probably won't get much that's positive in TUQ. I've heard that this trilogy is set up similar to the OT films, in which the first one came to a satisfactory conclusion; the second had everything go really badly for the good guys; and the third resolved all of the problems and was upbeat. So I fear we have to wait at least until the end of January for a positive book.

* Isn't it past time SW moved beyond this restrictive homage structure? It was great in TTT and quite appropriate but the EU has been running for a couple of decades now.

Yikes! That IS hard! Deep Space 9 was the one Star Trek series that I never saw. I don't think I even saw one episode of it.

* Yeah, although the Maquis were doing, and had done several times already, the same to Cardassian worlds and Sisko decided the escalation had to be stopped, by means fair or foul!

MS86,

that and wind waker, fear link'S over proportion size head and his deep eyes. Still the gamecube was a good system, i just think lack of a dvd support brought it down.

* I dunno about the DVD angle, does it matter that much?

I greeted him with a head shot courtesy of my sniper rifle and i introduce myself to saddler the same way.

* Also good. Ever play Paper Mario? Wonderfully inventive game.

sounds intresting, but it's not my cup of tea.

* Fair enough.

The guy though sounds like a hardcore captain.

* Yeah, but what was a neat touch was he was also a father to his son and, by the series end, husband to his wife. It was a great bit of character creation.

well i mean i know people can relate to the characters in star wars. dunno about star trek, like i said it's not my thing. when i first saw the SE for the first time, i immediatley loved it. star wars was more of fairy tale in space then an actual sci-fi movie. you had the hero(luke), the rogue(han), the princess(leia), the wizard(obi-wan), loyal companion(chewie), and the comedy relief( r2 & c-3po).

* True.

the characters were believeable, they had character, they had feeling and emotion. i'm not saying star trek doesn't, it's just with SW i clicked right away. you may like phasers JB or whatever they use now a days, but give me a good saber at my side, kid.

* Well, if you're citing cool weaponry then yeah, a saber is pretty nifty, especially if purple!

JB

17. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    spoiler space:

MasterSkywalker86:
    the characters were believeable, they had character, they had feeling and emotion.

That's the OT Star Wars, all right!

yeah the only things he has done so far in del-rey is what he did in TUF and TJK. lets wait for TUQ and TSW, hopefully he'll do something really impressive.

That's what we're all hoping for, but we've been hoping for this since the NJO started, and have only gotten "crumbs" from Del Rey. It has been a very frustrating 5 years! ...or is it six now?

yeah then school will start as well. sigh....

Believe me, teachers feel your pain. ;)

well first off i wouldn't say everything was positive in TJK, you have the rogue jedi still joiners, you have the GFFA patching things up, jedi found the wrong way to use the force, lomi causing some trouble, and a one armed a skimpy alema(i mean does she like to showw off) running around.

LOL! Good points. I guess what I meant was that the story was more or less resolved, with the good guys winning the war. You're right though that ANH was certainly more joyous and positive.

(or was she dead?)

I think she survived.

maybe they have the order on backwards, with the negative story on first.

That would actually be GOOD news! But I highly doubt it! :(

Editor 1: we will live like kings with the cash we'll make.
    Editor 2: yeah such a brilliant idea, let's give the OT character small little insigficant roles and have the young generation be the stars.

Yes, that's probably pretty much what transpired! ;)

at first he seem like a nice man trying to help rebuild the GFFA, you know ?

Yes, he did. Maybe he'll go back to being that nice man when he isn't so stressed out?

del-rey has to take one baby step at a time.

I hope they get to the GIANT steps really soon! ;)

i hope he or she comes back, probably vacation. do u know if it is a he or she ?

I'm really not sure.

i'm not saying trek didn't have any emotion or humanity in it. but it just didn't click with me, and star wars did. i just didn't buy into the trek franchise, you know ?

I understand. I pretty much didn't "buy into" the PT films either, though the last one was the best. I never really "connected" to the characters, except Obi-wan in the last film.

yeah pretty much luke was out of character & less powerful in NJO.

Then we're in agreement.

Excellence:
    I'm thinking Troy knows exactly what he's doing. The first book sets up character interaction and events; subsequent books will develop them further. Tenel is as much to blame, of course, and it all comes back to
    It was love that stuffed up Haydon; it's personal feelings that is beginning to stuff up the Jedi of that book. Love for Jacen had Tenel sending that fleet; she wouldn't have done it for me. It's called full circling back to the prequel era. Whether events will repeat again is what the trilogy is all about.

Ah! I see! So we may yet get to the point where someone needs to take down Jacen, hey?!

A good script for a trilogy, and Troy can handle it.

I hope you're right, E. You know me: I'm still nervous about how Luke is being written, and I don't like the constant rehashing of old plotlines.

I'll respond to the rest later or tomorrow. Today has been and still is a very busy day!

18. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Sith-Pirate:

The only example I can compare it to would be in the JAT. Luke, nor anybody else realized Kyp was possesed by Exar Kun until it was obvious.

Good point. I guess it IS possible then. Still, I don't know whether Del Rey would be willing to take that kind of risk, just as I'm pretty sure they won't be willing to take the risk of Jacen going dark even temporarily, as much as I would like it to happen.

Or were you talking about the spoiler that Artoo is really Luke?

LOL! That would REALLY be far-fetched! ;)

He's a he. That's what he told JB at least. He hasn't logged on since mid-July so maybe his computer's down.

I think he was also VERY upset with what he heard about TJK before it came out. He didn't like Luke being portrayed as following Vergere's philosophy. I can't say that I blame him for that.

But in the Marvel series Luke and Han threatened to destroy a whole civilization if they didn't cure Lando.

Well, that's absolutely ridiculous. Luke and Han wouldn't destroy a civilization for any reason, let alone to save one person. That comic book would definitely be an infinities story!

Jedi Ben:
    * You opened the door to one-liner from the Brit Side!

Yikes! I guess I need to be more careful how I word things in the future, huh? ;)

* Ah, sorry, I was being very sarcastic!

Ah! In that case, I sympathize. Ours seem more interested in the revenue than the customers too. I'm really glad that I only need to use public transportation occasionally. ...Though with the price of gasoline, that may change!

* Isn't it past time SW moved beyond this restrictive homage structure? It was great in TTT and quite appropriate but the EU has been running for a couple of decades now.

I agree. Time to be more creative and unique and surprising.

* Well, if you're citing cool weaponry then yeah, a saber is pretty nifty, especially if purple!

I wouldnt care what color it was! I'd just like to turn it on and watch it pulsate in the dark! ;)

19. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005

SithPirate

Oh c'mon, you still don't believe me? Even Stevie Wonder could tell you Luke was faking his fight with Palpatine in ROTJ. Or were you talking about the spoiler that Artoo is really Luke?

yes SP i don't believe in both of your theories. you are thinking that star wars has too many plot twists(this sounds alot like Metal Gear Solid), luke was acting in pain, because he was in fact in pain. luke was willing to die then turn to the darkside, and the R2 theory is intresting, but your going to need more proof than that.

thanks SP, i thought someone on another post thought Lijot was a she.

JB

I dunno about the DVD angle, does it matter that much?

My xbox is pretty much my only dvd player and i do watch watch a lot of dvds, so i do think that hindered nintendo a bit.

* Also good. Ever play Paper Mario? Wonderfully inventive game.

sadly not, my only gc games are resident evil, resident evil 4, zelda ww, and both rogue squadrons. but for ps2 have you ever play silent hill ?

Yeah, but what was a neat touch was he was also a father to his son and, by the series end, husband to his wife. It was a great bit of character creation.

i'm glad that you like him. ;)

Well, if you're citing cool weaponry then yeah, a saber is pretty nifty, especially if purple!

i'm fine with green.:)

ChildofWinds

that's how i became a fan in the first place.:)

That's what we're all hoping for, but we've been hoping for this since the NJO started, and have only gotten "crumbs" from Del Rey. It has been a very frustrating 5 years! ...or is it six now?

patience is a virtue my young padawan. ;)

LOL! Good points. I guess what I meant was that the story was more or less resolved, with the good guys winning the war. You're right though that ANH was certainly more joyous and positive.

exactly my point, maybe if we got more positivity in the books we would enjoy the books more. :)

I think she survived.

i wonder why everyone pins the female twileks wearing nothing but skimpy attire ? maybe that's how there race attract one another.

That would actually be GOOD news! But I highly doubt it!

maybe there doing the LOTR approach, the FOTR was positive then later on dark, TT was dark then positive and the ROTK was dark and then positive.

Yes, he did. Maybe he'll go back to being that nice man when he isn't so stressed out?

yeah i hope so too.

I understand. I pretty much didn't "buy into" the PT films either, though the last one was the best. I never really "connected" to the characters, except Obi-wan in the last film.

same here, i liked anakin a bit, because he resprented luke to a degree. yoda was good just for watching his fight scenes(they were cool), and obi-wan in ROTS was really flesh out well.

Then we're in agreement.

Here Here!!:)

20. Sith-Pirate

Nov 16, 2001
    yes SP i don't believe in both of your theories. you are thinking that star wars has too many plot twists(this sounds alot like Metal Gear Solid), luke was acting in pain, because he was in fact in pain. luke was willing to die then turn to the darkside, and the R2 theory is intresting, but your going to need more proof than that.

Fine, be that way. I guess I'll go jump into a Sarlac. You have to at least agree how obvious Captain Antilles was in his faking right?

BTW, I really REALLY hope you realize I've been playing around this whole time.

Well, that's absolutely ridiculous. Luke and Han wouldn't destroy a civilization for any reason, let alone to save one person. That comic book would definitely be an infinities story!

I like to believe they were bluffing myself.

21. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    ok, how did luke seem to recognize dagobah in ESB, any suggestions ?

SP

Fine, be that way. I guess I'll go jump into a Sarlac. You have to at least agree how obvious Captain Antilles was in his faking right?

well as long as you admit when yoda met luke in dagobah he was drunk off his butt, but recalls memories of Chewie.;)

BTW, I really REALLY hope you realize I've been playing around this whole time.

what part of playing along didn't you see ? ;)

22. Sith-Pirate

Nov 16, 2001
    well as long as you admit when yoda met luke in dagobah he was drunk off his butt, but recalls memories of Chewie.

Well duh. What do you think he passed the time doing, contemplating the Force? Being alone with all those plants, there had to be something worth smoking!

what part of playing along didn't you see ?

Okay. I've been accused of being mentally deranged a few times. I just didn't want to unintentially validate it. ;)

23. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    SP

Okay. I've been accused of being mentally deranged a few times. I just didn't want to unintentially validate it.

why SP i would have never guessed.;)

Well duh. What do you think he passed the time doing, contemplating the Force? Being alone with all those plants, there had to be something worth smoking!

exactly, but yoda didn't get high on plants, oh no he got high on the force. ;)

24. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86;
    that's how i became a fan in the first place.

Same here!As I've said before, if the PT had come first, I very likely wouldn't have been a SW fan. It's even possible that I might not have gone to see Episode 2!

patience is a virtue my young padawan.

I'll try to remember that, oh mighty Master! ;)

exactly my point, maybe if we got more positivity in the books we would enjoy the books more.

Yes! I think we're all in agreement about THAT! Now, how can we convince Del Rey?

same here, i liked anakin a bit, because he resprented luke to a degree.

I didn't like Anakin. He was arrogant and selfihs and obsessive and possessive. AND he craved power. Not my kind of guy! ;)

yoda was good just for watching his fight scenes(they were cool), and obi-wan in ROTS was really flesh out well.

Yes, I agree!

25. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Sith-Pirate;

I like to believe they were bluffing myself.

I would certainly HOPE so! ;) I'd like to read that story just to see what it was all about!

MasterSkywalker86;
    ok, how did luke seem to recognize dagobah in ESB, any suggestions ?

Did he maybe sense Yoda rather than Dagobah? Yoda saw him as an infant.

Or, did he maybe have a Force "dream" or a vision of Dagobah when he was a child or a young man?

Sith-Pirate:

LOL!!!!!!

Okay. I've been accused of being mentally deranged a few times. I just didn't want to unintentially validate it.

That's a very funny comment too! ;)

MasterSkywalker86:
    exactly, but yoda didn't get high on plants, oh no he got high on the force.

Maybe it was a combination of the two? ;)

Has anyone seen any new spoilers about The Unseen Queen? I'm really hoping they'll put out another excerpt soon...preferably one that is far LONGER than that other snippet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.