main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SOS - SON OF SKYWALKER : YOU (THE FANS) ARE MY ONLY HOPE!! SAVE ME... (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Skydancer, Feb 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    yeah i hope so too Child i could defintely used some TUQ spoilers right about now.

also i really hope SW battlefront 2 will be really good, i need a good sw game right about now. :rolleyes:

2. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    ChildofWinds

Same here!As I've said before, if the PT had come first, I very likely wouldn't have been a SW fan. It's even possible that I might not have gone to see Episode 2!

i was actually thinking about that as well. if i had seen the PT first, i don't know, the thing is still boggling my mind8-} . i liked watching TPM at the time, AOTC was alright, and ROTS was near quality of the originals. i still think if i had seen the PT, i would have waited for the OT. though the PT wouldn't nearly have the same effect on me as the OT. ;)

I'll try to remember that, oh mighty Master!

LOL remeber COW it's just MasterSkywalker86, i'm more of a learner/newbie of the group.

Yes! I think we're all in agreement about THAT! Now, how can we convince Del Rey?

well i guess we can send an e-mail to shelly sharpio from all of us.

I didn't like Anakin. He was arrogant and selfihs and obsessive and possessive. AND he craved power. Not my kind of guy!

pretty much a darker luke.

Yes, I agree!

now i really want a sequel trilogy to come out. i really wish they could have some key moments like luke's progression to a powerful jedi master(some DE scenes), Luke bringing the jedi order back, and the marriage of luke and mara(also han & leia).

3. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86;
    yeah i hope so too Child i could defintely used some TUQ spoilers right about now.

Yes! I'm anxious to know more about what will happen in that book.

i liked watching TPM at the time, AOTC was alright, and ROTS was near quality of the originals. i still think if i had seen the PT, i would have waited for the OT.

For me, the problem is that I wasn't all that excited about TPM, and the characters left me cold. That's why it's very possible that I might have stopped right then and there and not even seen AotC. If enough people didn't care that much for the first prequel film, Lucas may never have been able to make the OT films at all. And even if he would have made them, I probably never would have gone to see the OT films, because I would have figured that they were just sequels to TPM which I didn't really like. So I guess I'm glad Lucas started his story with ANH.

though the PT wouldn't nearly have the same effect on me as the OT.

For me, it didn't have the same effect.

Yes! I think we're all in agreement about THAT! Now, how can we convince Del Rey?
    well i guess we can send an e-mail to shelly sharpio from all of us.

I suppose we can try. But I have my doubts that Ms. Shapiro cares what lowly fans think! ;)

I didn't like Anakin. He was arrogant and selfish and obsessive and possessive. AND he craved power. Not my kind of guy!
    pretty much a darker luke.

I guess I disagree, MS. I don't think Luke was any of those things. He wasn't arrogant or selfish. He wasn't obsessive or possessive. And he definitely didn't crave power. His father offered him the opportunity to rule the galaxy with him and he turned him down. Nope! Luke never craved power.

now i really want a sequel trilogy to come out. i really wish they could have some key moments like luke's progression to a powerful jedi master(some DE scenes),

Well, you know how I feel about DE! ;)

Luke bringing the jedi order back,

That started in the Jedi Academy Trilogy. Though I would have enjoyed reading some stories about Luke and his students helping in the galaxy.

and the marriage of luke and mara(

This was chronicled in UNION, which is a comic book story. There were 4 books, and I think they also made a graphic novel with all of those 4 comic books put together.

I once wrote my own version of a Luke and Mara wedding story. I wrote it before Stackpole's version came out. That's the only piece of fan fiction I've ever written though. Writing isn't my forte. ;)

also han & leia).

This was glossed over in Courtship of Princess Leia. They didn't relate much of the actual wedding though.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    MS86,

My xbox is pretty much my only dvd player and i do watch watch a lot of dvds, so i do think that hindered nintendo a bit.

* Ah, I see, I had a combi DVD-Vid player when I got the Cube so bit different.

i'm glad that you like him.

* It was just good to have another SF Ben, along with Obi-Wan, who seems to get a raw deal. Of course, ObiWan in ROTS was great so...

COW,

Yikes! I guess I need to be more careful how I word things in the future, huh?

* Well, you say that but further on down...[face_mischief]

Ah! In that case, I sympathize. Ours seem more interested in the revenue than the customers too. I'm really glad that I only need to use public transportation occasionally. ...Though with the price of gasoline, that may change!

* Hmm, not the first time that I've heard thar car is the cheapest transport method in the States, got talking to a pair of US tourists in a pub last year and they mentioned it, fun conversation over a pint really.

I agree. Time to be more creative and unique and surprising.

* Funny, was expecting you to hold to the traditional structure!

I wouldnt care what color it was! I'd just like to turn it on and watch it pulsate in the dark!

* I'm not going to respond to this, the temptation is just too great! :)

JB

5. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Hey everybody it has been quiet on the threads, since now the summer is over.

well it has been a very quiet way for the summer to go out. it seem to leave us quicker then it arrived. i have no complaints, i wished things went a little better in my vacation then i hope for.

it's hard to believe the PT is over & lucas isn't contiuing on anymore SW films(one could hope he's lying), GL has finished with his SW saga and is now continuing with other film projects. ROTS was simply the best out of the PT and proved SW films can be fun again, it wasn't nearly as good as the OT, but then again what is ? :) TJK came out, for most of us it was great to have a good read on our favorite Jedi Master. for some of us,(JB);), it brought the same dark theme as NJO and had none of the positivity as the SW films.

Now for videogames this year, i'm still in a rut for some really good SW games. I have both GC RS games(they're good, but it's not my style of gameplay), for xbox i have jedi knight jedi: jedi academy(the game sounded great on paper, but the game is terrible), KOTOR II(good RPG, but i felt it wasn't nearly complete as the first one), and ROTS(is good for a mere 2hours). Now i'm hoping lucasarts is learning from their previous mistakes on SW games(TPM the videogame anyone ? ;) ), I played a demo of SW BF on my dvd bonus disc of the star wars trilogy and it was fun. I'm really hoping that SW BF 2 will be better with all its new features, i haven't played a game as Luke Skywalker, ever since Rebel Strike or the Super NES SW Trilogy series.

I hope this fall Del-Rey will improve in the EU with the Dark Nest trilogy and the Legacy series. hopefully in the 2 star wars tv shows, maybe they'll have a season or spinoff of the Ot characters( one can wish).;) also hopefully Battlfront 2 will continue what KOTOR, KOTOR 2, republic commando, and the first battlefront did to the SW videogame series, making them fun again. :)

excuse me for the rant, i just need a good SW game right now.:p

ok, how did luke seem to recognize dagobah in ESB, any suggestions ?

ChildofWinds

Did he maybe sense Yoda rather than Dagobah? Yoda saw him as an infant.

that seems practical.

Or, did he maybe have a Force "dream" or a vision of Dagobah when he was a child or a young man?

that seems more likely. thanks for the help.

Yes! I'm anxious to know more about what will happen in that book.

so am i, we only have that one little excerpt to go on from RJ. I really hope luke straighten things out, also i want to see how he gets the rank grand master. though you are right about the formula that the trilogy is following. i went on the website of the NJO encylopedia and they pretty stated that they're following the OT.

here's the facts courtey of NJOE:

"Dark Nest will follow the same structure as the Original Trilogy. The first part (Joiner King) introduces the problem, which the heroes more or less resolve. The second book (Unseen Queen) sees this backfire, the more disastrous the better. Swarm War will see the heroes make an extreme sacrifice to hopefully prevail. Expect Dark Nest to put a twist in this familiar narrative structure."

And even if he would have made them, I probably never would have gone to see the OT films, because I would have figured that they were just sequels to TPM which I didn't really like. So I guess I'm glad Lucas started his story with ANH.

well i'm also glad that he made the OT first, luke's trilogy had a great effect on me. PT was alright, but like I said it wouldn't nearly have the same effect on me. there were no other characters for me to relate to(other than luke:)). so i'm happy how things turn out.

For me, it didn't have the same effect

I agree.

I suppose we can try. But I have my doubts that Ms. Shapiro cares what lowly fans think!

Well i think our money can say otherwise. Greed can be a powerful ally.;)

[i

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    MS86,

well it has been a very quiet way for the summer to go out. it seem to leave us quicker then it arrived. i have no complaints, i wished things went a little better in my vacation then i hope for.

* Not to overly pry, but what went wrong?

it's hard to believe the PT is over & lucas isn't contiuing on anymore SW films(one could hope he's lying), GL has finished with his SW saga and is now continuing with other film projects.

* I'm sceptical on this.

ROTS was simply the best out of the PT and proved SW films can be fun again, it wasn't nearly as good as the OT, but then again what is ? TJK came out, for most of us it was great to have a good read on our favorite Jedi Master. for some of us,(JB) , it brought the same dark theme as NJO and had none of the positivity as the SW films.

* Yeah, couldn't resist it could you? ;) It's strange though: All that has been said about the characterisation of the main 3 in TJK is accurate, but it just couldn't overwhelm the dark themes and picture I got from the book.

Now for videogames this year, i'm still in a rut for some really good SW games. I have both GC RS games(they're good, but it's not my style of gameplay)

* How can blowing up a Star Destroyer or Death Star with an X-Wing not be your style of gameplay as a SW fan? ;)

, for xbox i have jedi knight jedi: jedi academy(the game sounded great on paper, but the game is terrible), KOTOR II(good RPG, but i felt it wasn't nearly complete as the first one), and ROTS(is good for a mere 2hours).

* Sorry but have to disagree on ROTS: An absolute stinking pustule of a game, even allowing for it being produced by EA - masters of exploiting licenses on the cheap that they are.

Now i'm hoping lucasarts is learning from their previous mistakes on SW games(TPM the videogame anyone ? ), I played a demo of SW BF on my dvd bonus disc of the star wars trilogy and it was fun. I'm really hoping that SW BF 2 will be better with all its new features, i haven't played a game as Luke Skywalker, ever since Rebel Strike or the Super NES SW Trilogy series.

* Ah, the SNES series, true classics. Talking of which: Heard about Revolution's planned download option? Apparently the intent is to allow all of Nintendo's back catalogue to be downloadable onto Revolution, whether it be 8-bit, 16-bit or 64-bit, the games that could become available....If true it would be 'most impressive'.

I hope this fall Del-Rey will improve in the EU with the Dark Nest trilogy and the Legacy series. hopefully in the 2 star wars tv shows, maybe they'll have a season or spinoff of the Ot characters( one can wish). also hopefully Battlfront 2 will continue what KOTOR, KOTOR 2, republic commando, and the first battlefront did to the SW videogame series, making them fun again.

* Well, I found Battlefront over-rated, for sheer fun Bounty Hunter is amusing, not least for the fact you can shoot anyone, plus I bought it for 99p so I'm a little biased. ;)

excuse me for the rant, i just need a good SW game right now.

* Forgiven, we all need that.

ok, how did luke seem to recognize dagobah in ESB, any suggestions ?

* He simply knew, call it a flash of intuition.

so am i, we only have that one little excerpt to go on from RJ. I really hope luke straighten things out, also i want to see how he gets the rank grand master. though you are right about the formula that the trilogy is following. i went on the website of the NJO encylopedia and they pretty stated that they're following the OT.

* Oh joy... :(

"Dark Nest will follow the same structure as the Original Trilogy. The first part (Joiner King) introduces the problem, which the heroes more or less resolve. The second book (Unseen Queen) sees this backfire, the more disastrous the better. Swarm War will see the heroes make an extreme sacrifice to hopefully prevail. Expect Dark Nest to put a twist in this familiar narrative structure."

* Yep, this time they make the sacrifice to win all and lose! Now buy the next series, suck

7. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    JediBen

Not to overly pry, but what went wrong?

i don't mind, but most of my friends moved or went to college in different states pretty early, i even have a friend who isn't even in this country.

I'm sceptical on this.

on him working his new film projects or him doing another SW film ? well he did say that this will be "his" last film, so maybe someone else in the future can do the sequel trilogy.

Yeah, couldn't resist it could you?

LOL, nope i couldn't.

It's strange though: All that has been said about the characterisation of the main 3 in TJK is accurate, but it just couldn't overwhelm the dark themes and picture I got from the book.

i agree the negative vibe is starting to drag on too much as well.

How can blowing up a Star Destroyer or Death Star with an X-Wing not be your style of gameplay as a SW fan?

I want to do something with the force not skill.(not saying luke wasn't using the force to blow up the DE). ;) you also get to fly starships in battlefront and board other ships JB, you can actually get out of the cockpit and blast people on foot and hopefully battlefront 2's playable jedi will let me have a fun experience as a jedi.

* Sorry but have to disagree on ROTS: An absolute stinking pustule of a game, even allowing for it being produced by EA - masters of exploiting licenses on the cheap that they are.

it wasn't produced by EA, but by the collective and lucasarts, but i had a little fun, but too short and doesn't give you any freedom as a jedi. the LOTR games were produced by EA and were fun, but way too short.

Ah, the SNES series, true classics. Talking of which: Heard about Revolution's planned download option? Apparently the intent is to allow all of Nintendo's back catalogue to be downloadable onto Revolution, whether it be 8-bit, 16-bit or 64-bit, the games that could become available....If true it would be 'most impressive'.

yeah that's good news, but how much do u have to pay ? and when are they going to show the controller ? either way nintendo is going to be playing around with my money.

* Well, I found Battlefront over-rated, for sheer fun Bounty Hunter is amusing, not least for the fact you can shoot anyone, plus I bought it for 99p so I'm a little biased.

just a little bit biased there JB, just a little bit. BF is pretty good, from the demo i played.

Forgiven, we all need that.

well, i just want a fun sw game, is that too much to ask ?;)

He simply knew, call it a flash of intuition.

so he recalled it from the force, i was hoping the ESB book would explained more about it.

I tend to agree with your analysis here, Luke and Anakin do have their similarities but Luke seems able to temper his anger better than Anakin,

well both of them took the oppostite paths.

Where he won 2-1 at full time, no penalties!

lol, yeah the emperor was owned by luke.

I'm not so sure that is a good idea, the kind of experience Jacen had, which he fails to realise, is not intended to be an everyday occurence, it's meant as a single moment of inspiration for life. He should be learning from it, not seeking to learn so he can re-capture it as that is not the point. Ditto for Luke, although I think luke already knows the truth of this, unlike his nephew.

intresting theory there JB. i know it's not to be a everyday occurence, but it was still incredible. i mean i would think luke would have a moment like that with the force.

I think Luke is pretty much already there, save for editorial interventions!

lol, i think he is on the path there, but like my qoute says he's growing more and more powerful.

seems Rare is trading on a fading past reputation for brilliance on older systems it seems unable to transport to the newer ones.

u make a good point, but let's wait till there is a review of perfect dark zero. the orignal was a success on 64 and was great, and the conker reloaded game wa

8. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Jedi Ben;
    * Hmm, not the first time that I've heard thar car is the cheapest transport method in the States,

Well, I'm not sure that the car is always cheapest, but it's certainly a lot more reliable and a lot faster than public transportation. Plus, there would be no direct public transportation from my house to my school. It would involve a lot of transferring of buses and trains, and it would be about a 3 mile walk to the first bus stop to begin with. :(

I agree. Time to be more creative and unique and surprising.
    * Funny, was expecting you to hold to the traditional structure!

I *am* basically a pretty "traditional" and old-fashioned person, I guess, but I like variety and surprises in life and in books, so I prefer when authors don't stick to a prescribed structure but "think outside of the box" instead.

I wouldnt care what color it was! I'd just like to turn it on and watch it pulsate in the dark!
    * I'm not going to respond to this, the temptation is just too great!

::::CoW blushes crimson:::: JB, you have a very naughty mind! ;)

MasterSkywalker86;
    Hey everybody it has been quiet on the threads, since now the summer is over.

Well, while I've been to school to get the classroom ready a couple of days, summer break will officially be over for me on Monday. We have teacher meetings on Monday, and the children arrive on Tuesday. It's kind of sad though that people think of summer as being over when there's really about another 4 weeks of summer left. And it is still hot and humid enough to remind me that it IS indeed still summer! This has been a very unusually hot, dry summer!

i wished things went a little better in my vacation then i hope for.

Just remember your day on the boat. That was a great summer day. It will be a great memory once the snow starts to fly!

it's hard to believe the PT is over & lucas isn't contiuing on anymore SW films(one could hope he's lying),

He said after making RotJ that he would never make another SW Film, but now we have three more. So, he could change his mind again.

I wonder sometimes though if it almost would have been better if Lucas hadn't made the prequels. They weren't what I was hoping for. I guess I preferred my own ideas on a backstory for the OT films.

TJK came out, for most of us it was great to have a good read on our favorite Jedi Master.

I really hope I'll like the way Luke is portrayed in The Joiner King.

I hope this fall Del-Rey will improve in the EU with the Dark Nest trilogy and the Legacy series.

Do you know exactly when Legacy starts? I think it's sometime in the spring of 2006, but I'm not sure.

hopefully in the 2 star wars tv shows, maybe they'll have a season or spinoff of the Ot characters( one can wish).

That would be nice.

Or, did he maybe have a Force "dream" or a vision of Dagobah when he was a child or a young man?
    that seems more likely. thanks for the help.

You're welcome! I guess we have to come up with our own explanations, because I doubt that we'll ever get an answer from George Lucas about why he had Luke say that.

I really hope luke straighten things out, also i want to see how he gets the rank grand master.

I hope Luke straightens things out too, and I hope it happens in TDN trilogy. I don't want to have to wait until Legacy.

I hope Luke doesn't give himself the title. That doesn't seem like something Luke would do. I hope someone else says that Luke deserves the title. (Maybe the Jedi council makes that decision?)

Thanks for posting that, MS!

Swarm War will see the heroes make an extreme sacrifice to hopefully prevail.

9. kddidit

kddidit Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2003
    Hi, everyone!!

MS86
    " well i guess we can send an e-mail to shelly sharpio from all of us. "

What about an e-petition?

"so he recalled it from the force, i was hoping the ESB book would explained more about it."

ESB novelization has Luke first learning of Dagobah from his vision of Obi-Wan in the snow on Hoth, just as in the movie. A bit more detail comes through in the novel when Luke programs the course for Dagobah that is not in the star charts of the x wing. One can surmise that Obi-Wan implanted directions and maybe a sense of the place, in addition to just Yoda's name and the name of the planet. Later, after arriving on Dagobah and just before Yoda pops into Luke's life, Luke says, "There's something familiar about this place." Child of Winds is right, the sense of familiarity was Yoda himself, not the place, because if Luke were remembering the planet from a dream or vision, then he should have felt the familiarity prior to or shortly after landing.

"Lukes becomes so powerful, that he becomes to the point where he is invincible and all powerful, and nothing can touch him and also nothing is impossible for him.(one day he'll reach that point)"

Great overall "wish list" MS86! Oh, I do hope Luke's still portrayed as a human being. Powerful. Intelligent. Clever. Thoughtful. Determined. And, yes, fallible, but not foolishly so.

CoW: "For me, the problem is that I wasn't all that excited about TPM, and the characters left me cold. That's why it's very possible that I might have stopped right then and there and not even seen AotC. If enough people didn't care that much for the first prequel film, Lucas may never have been able to make the OT films at all. And even if he would have made them, I probably never would have gone to see the OT films, because I would have figured that they were just sequels to TPM which I didn't really like. So I guess I'm glad Lucas started his story with ANH."

No kidding! I think GL must've known ANH and the original trilogy had the strongest story. PT felt like "add ons" to me. I wouldn't want to see inferior sequels, so maybe if they don't get made its for the best. After all, look at what happened in the EU and the PT. :oops:

JB: "ObiWan was good in the OT, I liked the character and having a name like Ben when going to school 1980-1983, well you can work out the nickname can't you?"

Cool on the nickname acquisition! Ben was my favorite character in the prequels. :D

Ahhhh. Back to school. Am I the only one here looking forward to getting back to formal studies?? :-B

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    kddidit,

Ahhhh. Back to school. Am I the only one here looking forward to getting back to formal studies??

* Well, some of us have had the benefit of age that means no more school, although there is the more fun experience known as Uni or 'college' as it is termed across the pond, then there is the fun world of work which is only beneficial due to the financial compensation you acquire for doing it! ;)

COW,

Well, I'm not sure that the car is always cheapest, but it's certainly a lot more reliable and a lot faster than public transportation. Plus, there would be no direct public transportation from my house to my school. It would involve a lot of transferring of buses and trains, and it would be about a 3 mile walk to the first bus stop to begin with.

* Ouch!

I *am* basically a pretty "traditional" and old-fashioned person, I guess, but I like variety and surprises in life and in books, so I prefer when authors don't stick to a prescribed structure but "think outside of the box" instead.

* But in a good way? As NJO was certainly an attempt to go beyond the boundaries.

::::CoW blushes crimson:::: JB, you have a very naughty mind!

* And given your reply, I'm not the only one!:p

MS86,

i don't mind, but most of my friends moved or went to college in different states pretty early, i even have a friend who isn't even in this country.

* Ah, that is troublesome, especially in a large country.

on him working his new film projects or him doing another SW film ? well he did say that this will be "his" last film, so maybe someone else in the future can do the sequel trilogy.

* True and he's getting on, ought to relax a bit really.
    I want to do something with the force not skill.(not saying luke wasn't using the force to blow up the DE). you also get to fly starships in battlefront and board other ships JB, you can actually get out of the cockpit and blast people on foot and hopefully battlefront 2's playable jedi will let me have a fun experience as a jedi.

* I know, although I found the controls weird on BF for the vehicles. Still, I agree there is a hell of a lot of potential there.

it wasn't produced by EA, but by the collective and lucasarts, but i had a little fun, but too short and doesn't give you any freedom as a jedi. the LOTR games were produced by EA and were fun, but way too short.

* LOTR worked pretty well, but as for ROTS, well let's just say the acronym is quite appropriate! ;)

yeah that's good news, but how much do u have to pay ? and when are they going to show the controller ? either way nintendo is going to be playing around with my money.

* Dunno, guess we'll get more details over the next few months, unlike Sony and Microsoft Ninty haven't revealed all. I am tempted by PS3 Killzone and Metal Gear but am trying to resist, as Han says, 'I'm getting too old for this!' ie. vid games. Really depends if PS3 and Revolution incorporate anti-hack devices. I'd prefer they don't!

intresting theory there JB. i know it's not to be a everyday occurence, but it was still incredible. i mean i would think luke would have a moment like that with the force.

* Who's to say he hasn't already? He defeated Palpatine by drawing on the Force, as he did Exar Kun.

u make a good point, but let's wait till there is a review of perfect dark zero. the orignal was a success on 64 and was great, and the conker reloaded game was fun i heard.

* Yeah, I had thought it was stuck in development hell then it got announced for X-Box 360. Although, as an X-Box owner, how do you manage with that pad? It's a heinous piece of design work. Part of the reason I went for the Cube was I found the pad to be the best out of the three.

JB

11. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Jedi Ben:
    * Yep, this time they make the sacrifice to win all and lose! Now buy the next series, suckers!

Oh my STARS!!!! I never even THOUGHT about that! :( That would be awful!!!!!!! And, unfortunately, I wouldnt put it past them now that you *have* made me think about it! :(

* True, unless you gamble on suckering enough new buyers to make up for the loss of the old.

Which they tried in the NJO. I wonder how many readers they actually lost and won? It would be interesting to find out. I know a few people personally who used to read the SW books, are no longer doing so. They gave up sometime during the NJO.

thus he was opened to the dark side. Oh wait, there isn't one is there?

Only what's inside of you, according to the so-called "modern Jedi". I hope the "modern Jedi" become more traditional pretty quickly! As I keep saying, they shouldn't be exactly like the Jedi of the PT, because those Jedi had big flaws too, but there should be some happy medium somewhere between the philosophy and traditions of the PT Jedi and the "modern" Jedi.

the kind of experience Jacen had, which he fails to realise, is not intended to be an everyday occurence, it's meant as a single moment of inspiration for life. He should be learning from it, not seeking to learn so he can re-capture it as that is not the point.

Yes, I think that experience is one of the major reasons for his Force Journey. He wanted to recapture that experience. As you said, however, that was a once in a lifetime event, and he shouldn't be trying to replicate it. He's now far too arrogant, thinking he's better not only than the rest of the Jedi knights, but that he knows more than all of the other Force users too. Remember that he has decided not to go around the galaxy anymore searching for more SW knowledge. I guess he now thinks he knows more than everyone else.

* Yeah true. ObiWan was good in the OT, I liked the character and having a name like Ben when going to school 1980-1983, well you can work out the nickname can't you?

Oh, let's see...Ben Burtt, right! ;) LOL!

MasterSkywalker86;
    I think Luke is pretty much already there, save for editorial interventions!

Yeah, those silly editors think Luke is too powerful, so they never want to let him demonstrate some of that power. :rolleyes:

hmmmmmm......um Ben Grimmm aka the thing, ummm...uncle ben from spider-man, um Ben Hurr, how about Ben Franklin ?

LOL! I hadn't read your response to Ben's post before reading this. I see we both had the same idea of teasing him with another Ben name. I like yours far better than mine! ;)

kddidit:
    Hi, everyone!!

Hi yourself, KD! :)

What about an e-petition?

Sounds good!

A bit more detail comes through in the novel when Luke programs the course for Dagobah that is not in the star charts of the x wing. One can surmise that Obi-Wan implanted directions and maybe a sense of the place, in addition to just Yoda's name and the name of the planet. Child of Winds is right, the sense of familiarity was Yoda himself, not the place, because if Luke were remembering the planet from a dream or vision, then he should have felt the familiarity prior to or shortly after landing.

Thanks for the explanation, KD. Sounds reasonable!

Great overall "wish list" MS86! Oh, I do hope Luke's still portrayed as a human being. Powerful. Intelligent. Clever. Thoughtful. Determined. And, yes, fallible, but not foolishly so.

Right. The problem is that Luke seems to be portrayed as "foolishly" fallible far too often. In TJK, he's making mistakes that he never should have been making because he either had made similar ones and learned from them before or had seen others make similar

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    COW,

Oh my STARS!!!! I never even THOUGHT about that! That would be awful!!!!!!! And, unfortunately, I wouldnt put it past them now that you *have* made me think about it!

* I'm hoping you also noted my remark that my post was getting somewhat viciously sarcastic at this point I hope!

Which they tried in the NJO. I wonder how many readers they actually lost and won? It would be interesting to find out. I know a few people personally who used to read the SW books, are no longer doing so. They gave up sometime during the NJO.

* Which sort of proves the point doesn't it?

Only what's inside of you, according to the so-called "modern Jedi". I hope the "modern Jedi" become more traditional pretty quickly! As I keep saying, they shouldn't be exactly like the Jedi of the PT, because those Jedi had big flaws too, but there should be some happy medium somewhere between the philosophy and traditions of the PT Jedi and the "modern" Jedi.

* Thing is, if you look at the outline we got from Bantam they were already on a path to a new outlook that would have made them distinct from the old.

Yes, I think that experience is one of the major reasons for his Force Journey. He wanted to recapture that experience. As you said, however, that was a once in a lifetime event, and he shouldn't be trying to replicate it. He's now far too arrogant, thinking he's better not only than the rest of the Jedi knights, but that he knows more than all of the other Force users too. Remember that he has decided not to go around the galaxy anymore searching for more SW knowledge. I guess he now thinks he knows more than everyone else.

* Jacen isn't actually doing what he should, as if will of the Force = right act at right time and right place for the right reasons, then Jacen is off, for his reason is unclear. In a way, the will of the Force can be interpreted very Platonically.

* Yeah true. ObiWan was good in the OT, I liked the character and having a name like Ben when going to school 1980-1983, well you can work out the nickname can't you?

LOL! I hadn't read your response to Ben's post before reading this. I see we both had the same idea of teasing him with another Ben name. I like yours far better than mine!

* Laugh it up, fuzzballs! :)

:::blushing even brighter crimson:::::: LOL!!!!!

* "You can't win COW. My sense of humour is far more twisted than yours!" :)

JB

13. kddidit

Jul 7, 2003
    hmmmmmm......um Ben Grimmm aka the thing, ummm...uncle ben from spider-man, um Ben Hurr, how about Ben Franklin ?
    Oh, let's see...Ben Burtt, right! LOL!
    * Laugh it up, fuzzballs!

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] =D=

* Jacen isn't actually doing what he should, as if will of the Force = right act at right time and right place for the right reasons, then Jacen is off, for his reason is unclear. In a way, the will of the Force can be interpreted very Platonically.

Remember Yoda's advice when Luke asked, "How will I know the difference between the Light and Dark side?" "You will know when you are calm, at peace."
    Doesn't seem like Jacen OR Luke are very much at peace within themselves at this point in the story (TJK).

14. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Jedi Ben;
    * I'm hoping you also noted my remark that my post was getting somewhat viciously sarcastic at this point I hope!

Yes, I DID notice that, but you still can't put ANYTHING past Del Rey! ;)

* Which sort of proves the point doesn't it?

Right. The question is, did they get enough new people to make up for the lost ones? Even if they did, the people they lost were LONGTIME fans, folks who had been reading the books from the very beginning, and didn't really want to stop reading SW fiction. Meanwhile, the new fans were probably young ones, who are often quite fickle: big fans one day; on to something else the next.

* Thing is, if you look at the outline we got from Bantam they were already on a path to a new outlook that would have made them distinct from the old.

Yes, and I liked that they were doing things differently: allowing marriage; not taking babies from parents; not far removed from the normal people of the galaxy; and quietly feeling their way and finding their role in the galaxy. They didn't need ANY help from Darth Chicken-Pigeon or from the PT Jedi.

* Jacen isn't actually doing what he should, as if will of the Force = right act at right time and right place for the right reasons, then Jacen is off, for his reason is unclear.

And for selfish reasons too. He seemed to be trying to learn as much as he could about the Force from everyone, but he didn't really LISTEN to any of the groups according to that Prologue. AND he didn't seem to be trying to learn in order to help others or to share his knowledge with other Jedi. It seemed to be mostly for his own selfish reasons.

In a way, the will of the Force can be interpreted very Platonically.

Okay, please explain what you mean here, JB. I don't understand what you're saying.

* Laugh it up, fuzzballs!

LOL!We are! We are! LOL!

* "You can't win COW. My sense of humour is far more twisted than yours!"

Yes! I surrender! I concede defeat! ;)

kddidit:
    Remember Yoda's advice when Luke asked, "How will I know the difference between the Light and Dark side?" "You will know when you are calm, at peace."
    Doesn't seem like Jacen OR Luke are very much at peace within themselves at this point in the story (TJK).

Well, Luke certainly isn't. So many times during the book he questioned whether they were doing the right thing. And I'm really disappointed, because by now, Luke should KNOW what the right thing is!!!!! He did before, and now he seems to have lost his way. :(

On the other hand, I'm not sure that you can say that about Jacen. He doesn't seem upset about anything. He seems perfectly calm and sure of himself. In fact, I'd say he seems quite arrogant and seems to think he knows more than all of those other groups of Force users and the Jedi. I certainly hope I haven't been reading this wrong, but it seems to me that Jacen is on the wrong path and that he doesn't even realize it.

15. kddidit

Jul 7, 2003
    Helloooo, again!

Child of Winds: " Right. The question is, did they get enough new people to make up for the lost ones? Even if they did, the people they lost were LONGTIME fans, folks who had been reading the books from the very beginning, and didn't really want to stop reading SW fiction. Meanwhile, the new fans were probably young ones, who are often quite fickle: big fans one day; on to something else the next. "

Well, we were the young fans at one time. ;) It's to be expected the younger readers aren't going to necessarily like the exact same things. I think there's enough SW story to go around, PT fans, OT fans, EU fans. Someone pointed out the ST franchise strategy, and this is a possible solution. Publish more books, targetted to each audience. Maybe hire more writers. Hey, publishers, don't think of it as additional expenses. Consider it an investment.

Well, Luke certainly isn't. So many times during the book he questioned whether they were doing the right thing. And I'm really disappointed, because by now, Luke should KNOW what the right thing is!!!!! He did before, and now he seems to have lost his way.

Agree and it's very troubling. While I don't believe Luke shoud be dictatorial, he has a duty to his students to point out what's wrong about this philosophy and where it could lead. I'm waiting to see this from him.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that you can say that about Jacen. He doesn't seem upset about anything. He seems perfectly calm and sure of himself. In fact, I'd say he seems quite arrogant and seems to think he knows more than all of those other groups of Force users and the Jedi. I certainly hope I haven't been reading this wrong, but it seems to me that Jacen is on the wrong path and that he doesn't even realize it.

I really think Jacen could go either way. Has anyone (besides Ben Skywalker) asked Jacen about his quest? Maybe Leia and Luke need to sit down with Jacen for a "heart-to-heart" conversation.

[face_praying]for New Orleans.

16. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    kddidit;
    Well, we were the young fans at one time.

Very good point! ;)

It's to be expected the younger readers aren't going to necessarily like the exact same things. I think there's enough SW story to go around, PT fans, OT fans, EU fans.

Yes! I agree completely! The problem with the NJO was that they targeted the younger audience only and seemed to just 'write off' the older one. They made the younger characters the "stars", but at the expense of the older characters who were made to look foolish and incompetent. I have nothing against adding newer, younger characters and trying to gain newer, younger fans that way. That makes perfect sense. SW has always been a multi-generational experience anyway. Everyone from 4 to 94 enjoyed ANH.

By giving important, useful, heroic roles to the young characters and to the older ones, Del Rey could have kept the older fans and gained newer ones. I think they eventually learned their lesson, because both sets of characters were handled well in TUF, but it was too late for some folks who had already left during the Keyes duology or SbS.

Someone pointed out the ST franchise strategy, and this is a possible solution. Publish more books, targetted to each audience.

Hopefully, maybe they are starting to do this now. The OT characters and the younger characters all played important roles in TJK, and as Jedi Ben said, there are some books in the post RotS timeframe; comics in the KOTOR timeframe; at least one Rebellion book by Zahn upcoming; a young reader book series called Last of the Jedi; plus the post NJO series.

Bantam did this even though they didn't have a lot of time periods to deal with. They had the regular novels; X-wing novels; and young Jedi Knight books to try to reach a wider audience.

So, yes, I agree that ALL SW fans should be considered. It's a big galaxy and there's room for everyone. In fact, the more the merrier. The larger the SW readership, the more likely that more books will be written. The problem with the NJO was that all fans were NOT considered. Del Rey targeted a young audience and completely neglected many of the loyal longtime readers, which caused them to lose quite a few, I think.

Agree and it's very troubling. While I don't believe Luke shoud be dictatorial, he has a duty to his students to point out what's wrong about this philosophy and where it could lead. I'm waiting to see this from him.

So am I. As I said, I think he does need to take charge more despite his reluctance, and he needs to give more direction and better example.

I really think Jacen could go either way. Has anyone (besides Ben Skywalker) asked Jacen about his quest? Maybe Leia and Luke need to sit down with Jacen for a "heart-to-heart" conversation.

Yes, I agree. I don't really want Jacen to become a Sith. What I really want is for him to realize that he's been wrong and arrogant about some things(preferably with Luke's help) and to acknowledge that he's on the wrong path and do something to correct it before it's too late.

And yes,KD, I share your concern about New Orleans and all the other areas in harm's way. My thoughts and prayers are with all the people who are in the path of Hurricane Katrina. I really hope and pray that things won't be as bad as predicted!

17. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    wow now the thread is picking up. :)

i want to post some responses, but i have to get some rest. COW i hope you have a good day at school and i'll answer yours JB's and Kdiddit's responses tommorrow.

18. roguejedi589

roguejedi589 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2005
    Hey everyone! Been off the threads for a few days, so I need to do some catching up. Work is crazy!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, I have a few questions.

What is the deal with Coruscant Nights? Like what era , what characters, when is it released, etc?

I heard that Legacy era is going to span 100 year period. Is this true, and if so, will our boy Luke live to be 150+?

Possible slight spoiler.............

Is anyone else looking forward to AWESOME GRAND MASTER LUKE in Legacy as much as I am?

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    rj589,

Let's just say we're all hoping we get that in regard to Luke, but some of are us remain a tad sceptical about how it'll come about, if at all. We've been stung a few too many times by marketing bollox!

Re: Coruscant Nights: This is, as far as I know, a loose trilogy of books focusing on the post-ROTS world. Is known to feature R5, the droid and the journalist from Medstar, they may be the central characters, which if so, would make for an interesting Joe Public view of how things are changed as the Empire consolidates its power. First book is due next year.

COW,

Right. The question is, did they get enough new people to make up for the lost ones? Even if they did, the people they lost were LONGTIME fans, folks who had been reading the books from the very beginning, and didn't really want to stop reading SW fiction. Meanwhile, the new fans were probably young ones, who are often quite fickle: big fans one day; on to something else the next.

* I think DR has under-estimated the intelligence of the audience, teenagers and kids aren't as dumb as people think so simply doing a series with 'teen' characters at the centre won't automatically work. The charcters have to be likeable and the story has to work, therfore for every one younger fan who goes along with it, another may not.

Yes, and I liked that they were doing things differently: allowing marriage; not taking babies from parents; not far removed from the normal people of the galaxy; and quietly feeling their way and finding their role in the galaxy. They didn't need ANY help from Darth Chicken-Pigeon or from the PT Jedi.

* Not only that, but I'm convinced Luke was teaching them to use the Force in combination with all other skills, to not rely upon it exclusively. Then the whole idea gets killed by the change of licence.

In a way, the will of the Force can be interpreted very Platonically.

Okay, please explain what you mean here, JB. I don't understand what you're saying.

* OK, Plato, long, long, long dead Greek philosopher who I don't care for much, formulated that morality demands that the right person performs the right act at the right place for the right reasons. How would anyone be able to actually know how to do this? Plato held that by philosophical contemplation one could come to possess knowledge and perception sufficient to see the correct act for the time and place and why. He postulated a theory of Forms, with each Form having its perfect ideal shape and its real, less perfect shape e.g. there is a horse in reality and a Form of a horse that is its ideal blueprint. He then argued it was the same with morality, that there was a perfect Form of the Good, a perfect moral ideal people should strive to live their lives by, which was perceptible by philosophic reasoning. He also went on to argue that as only philosophers could perceive the Good most clearly then they should rule which is where it all starts to become disturbing, as he ends up arguing for a benevolent dictatorship! Nonetheless, the moral idealism of Plato can be transferred to SW reasonably easily, with the Force taking the place of the Good and the Jedi the place of philosophers, but this does ask the Q: should Jedi actually attempt to rule? I thought this was going to happen post-SBS as the NR had collapsed against the Vong, thus people turn to the Jedi and they are forced to rule and lead in ways that are unfamilar to them.

kddidit,

Well, we were the young fans at one time. It's to be expected the younger readers aren't going to necessarily like the exact same things. I think there's enough SW story to go around, PT fans, OT fans, EU fans. Someone pointed out the ST franchise strategy, and this is a possible solution. Publish more books, targetted to each audience. Maybe hire more writers. Hey, publishers, don't think of it as additional expenses. Consider it an investment.

* Re: Trek, yep, that was me. Only one problem here: This kind of strategy requires a lot more skil and respect for the audiences than DR have previously shown, al

20. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86;
    i want to post some responses, but i have to get some rest. COW i hope you have a good day at school

Thanks, MS! We actually only had teachers' meetings today. The children arrive tomorrow!

roguejedi589:
    Hey everyone! Been off the threads for a few days, so I need to do some catching up.

Welcome back, RJ!

I heard that Legacy era is going to span 100 year period. Is this true, and if so, will our boy Luke live to be 150+?

I don't really know. I guess the Legacy period is supposed to be Luke's legacy, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Luke will live all the way through the period. It IS possible though. They're now saying that the 60's are the new 40's. And Leia was telling Han in his 60's that he had at least 40 good years left, so people do live longer in that GFFA. That makes sense, as they have advanced medical technology, and even here on Earth lifespans are increasing.

I've also heard that Jedi can live even longer than other folks in the galaxy because of the Force. So, who knows? Maybe our Jedi Farmboy will live a *very* long (and hopefully happy!) life.

Possible slight spoiler.............
    Is anyone else looking forward to AWESOME GRAND MASTER LUKE in Legacy as much as I am?

This depends on what Del Rey has in mind for Luke. Of course I'd love to see a powerful, strong Jedi Master, but if they're going to make him powerful by making him DARK, then I want NO part of it! So, at the moment, I guess my excitement about the possibility of a really awesome Luke is tempered by worry that Del Rey will write Luke in a less than flattering way or diminish him somehow. But yes, I really WOULD like to see an amazing Grand Master Luke if Del Rey would allow it!

Jedi Ben:
    Let's just say we're all hoping we get that in regard to Luke, but some of are us remain a tad sceptical about how it'll come about, if at all. We've been stung a few too many times by marketing bollox!

Exactly! That's what I was trying to say in my rather clumsy way! ;)
    end possible spoilers

* I think DR has under-estimated the intelligence of the audience, teenagers and kids aren't as dumb as people think so simply doing a series with 'teen' characters at the centre won't automatically work. The charcters have to be likeable and the story has to work, therfore for every one younger fan who goes along with it, another may not.

Well said. And I think probably almost as many teenagers disliked some of the teenage characters as adults did. Let's face it: about the only teenage character who was interesting and likeable as they were portrayed was Anakin Solo, and they KILLED him! :(

* Not only that, but I'm convinced Luke was teaching them to use the Force in combination with all other skills, to not rely upon it exclusively. Then the whole idea gets killed by the change of licence.

Yes, Luke WAS having the Jedi use all of their talents and not just rely on the Force so much. But, as you said, along came Del Rey and suddenly Luke didn't know anything anymore. :(

[/i]* OK, Plato, long, long, long dead Greek philosopher who I don't care for much, formulated that morality demands that the right person performs the right act at the right place for the right reasons. Plato held that by philosophical contemplation one could come to possess knowledge and perception sufficient to see the correct act for the time and place and why.He then argued it was the same with morality, that there was a perfect Form of the Good, a perfect moral ideal people should strive to live their lives by, which was perceptible by philosophic reasoning.[/i]

Oh, okay! Thanks for the philosophy lesson.

He also went on to argue that as only philosophers could perceive the Good most clearly then they should rule which is where it all starts to become disturbing, as he ends up arguing for a benevolent dictatorship! Nonetheless, the moral idealism of P

21. kddidit

Jul 7, 2003
    Greetings! How is everyone, staying busy?

Child of Winds:
    "Yes, I agree. I don't really want Jacen to become a Sith. What I really want is for him to realize that he's been wrong and arrogant about some things(preferably with Luke's help) and to acknowledge that he's on the wrong path and do something to correct it before it's too late."

I do, too. If it happens at all, it'll probably happen in the third story. I can see Luke (or maybe Leia) having to redeem Jacen, thus breaking the Sith cycle in the Skywalker family, if Jacen goes all the way to the Dark Side. Maybe he won't. Maybe something (like impending fatherhood) will wake him up?

"That makes perfect sense. SW has always been a multi-generational experience anyway. Everyone from 4 to 94 enjoyed ANH."

True! It's good to remember that no matter where the story goes we all have that one reference point in common.

"By giving important, useful, heroic roles to the young characters and to the older ones, Del Rey could have kept the older fans and gained newer ones. I think they eventually learned their lesson, because both sets of characters were handled well in TUF, but it was too late for some folks who had already left during the Keyes duology or SbS. Hopefully, maybe they are starting to do this now. The OT characters and the younger characters all played important roles in TJK, and as Jedi Ben said, there are some books in the post RotS timeframe; comics in the KOTOR timeframe; at least one Rebellion book by Zahn upcoming; a young reader book series called Last of the Jedi; plus the post NJO series."

Oh, I hope they've learned and will remember that for many of us, the story of Star Wars is Luke's story. I don't begrudge books and/or games to the PT fans, KOTOR fans and those who like the Young Jedi Knights, but d@mn, don't neglect the original characters.

Have a great first day of school!!

RJ: "I heard that Legacy era is going to span 100 year period. Is this true, and if so, will our boy Luke live to be 150+?"

Could happen, what with better health care technology available in the GFFA. "Legacy" seems like another attempt at transitioning character focus to the next generation. Makes me a li'l bit nervous.
    As Jedi Ben said, "Let's just say we're all hoping we get that in regard to Luke, but some of are us remain a tad sceptical about how it'll come about, if at all. We've been stung a few too many times by marketing bollox!"

Jedi Ben: "I think DR has under-estimated the intelligence of the audience, teenagers and kids aren't as dumb as people think so simply doing a series with 'teen' characters at the centre won't automatically work. The charcters have to be likeable and the story has to work, therfore for every one younger fan who goes along with it, another may not."

You mean young people aren't all cut from the same cloth, so to speak, with uniform tastes and ideas which can be readily tapped to generate profits? No! ;) </sarcasm>

Yeah, Luke has very subtly corrected students here and there, without them even realising it at the time! Nor did I ever see him actually holding the TJK view at the end of TUF, so either there's an untold story for the shift or, more likely, it's DR taking the quick and easy and simple option.

"Quicker. Easier. More seductive." Yoda Not a very promising beginning for Dark Nest series, for all I liked reading TJK better than anything NJO.

Thanks for the info on Plato and Coruscant Nights. The idea of Jedi controlling the government *really* gives me the creeps. Jedi participation is okay. Outright Jedi control smacks too much of Palpatine's Empire.

MS86: i want to post some responses, but i have to get some rest.

I know the feeling! This thread moves pretty fast.

22. roguejedi589

roguejedi589 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2005
    I agree that Del Rey could totally destroy my vision of Grand Master Luke. I am just SOOOO tired of the way they bounce his character around. I am all for artistic license, but come on! He needs to be portrayed as the ultimate leader of the light. Period. I think its long over due.

Now, I'm not saying that I expect everyone to be all nicey nicey and agree about everything in the Jedi Order. People will always disagree. The difference is, everyone needs to come to a point where they can say, "Gee, Master Skywalker, I don't know if I agree with your opinion on this matter, but OUT OF RESPECT FOR THE FACT THAT ALL YOUR HARD WORK AND PERSONAL SACRIFICE REBUILDING THE ORDER GAVE ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE THIS JEDI GIG IN THE FIRST PLACE, I will abide by your wishes.":mad:

*takes deep breath, recites Jedi Code*

See, this is why I could never be a Jedi. I get too worked up.;)

I will stop rambling soon, I promise. But just once I would like to see a Jedi, any Jedi, just be thankful that they live in a galaxy where they CAN be Jedi, because of Luke. It's kind of like owning your own successful business, eating apple pie, enjoying baseball, voting, wearing whatever clothes you choose, pretty much all things American, and then saying, "Poo on all the founding fathers, and all the civil rights activists, and all the people who helped make this place wonderful, and everything that was ever done to guarantee these rights to me because I'm entitled. It's owed to me."

Sorry. If it weren't for Luke, there would be no Jedi Order. [face_frustrated]

23. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Hey everyone!!! long day at work and my college is going to start in Sept 1st. It's crazy when did August 1st actually begin?!?! anywho I decided to relax before my classes start. Then my life is going to be busy again. :( and just when I was getting used to only working. ;)
    o well so many posts, so little time. ;)

[face_praying] for the people dealing with hurricane katrina. nasty weather they're having.

To everyone what do you want luke to do that's incredibly powerful in TSW ?

ChildofWinds

Well, while I've been to school to get the classroom ready a couple of days, summer break will officially be over for me on Monday.

well i'll tell ya one thing if your going to school then your summer is offically over. ;) i just wish my college wouldn't start so early. I hope you get good children tommorrow though, and try not to give them too much homework. ;)

Just remember your day on the boat. That was a great summer day. It will be a great memory once the snow starts to fly!

thanks, i did had some good times over the vacation, too bad i was either working on the house, my job, or getting register for college. but i hope things won't go too hectic for me with school & work. All work and no play make Jack a dull boy!! 8-} also snow isn't necessary a bad thing, remember we get snow days, YAY!!!:D

He said after making RotJ that he would never make another SW Film, but now we have three more. So, he could change his mind again.

Really he actually said that ROTJ would be his last SW film. i wonder if GL's nose is growing bigger and bigger, [face_thinking] anywho that's good news Child.

I wonder sometimes though if it almost would have been better if Lucas hadn't made the prequels. They weren't what I was hoping for. I guess I preferred my own ideas on a backstory for the OT films.

why ? how did u imagine them to be ?

I really hope I'll like the way Luke is portrayed in The Joiner King.

don't u mean TSW or TUQ ?

Do you know exactly when Legacy starts? I think it's sometime in the spring of 2006, but I'm not sure.

I hope it'll start next year, i hope Del-Rey will let us see Luke's real power. :)

I guess we have to come up with our own explanations, because I doubt that we'll ever get an answer from George Lucas about why he had Luke say that.

i think JB or Kdiddit have the right idea, luke did recall the familiarity when yoda was near. so he recognize yoda's presense.

I don't want to have to wait until Legacy.

I agree with ya.

I hope Luke doesn't give himself the title. That doesn't seem like something Luke would do. I hope someone else says that Luke deserves the title. (Maybe the Jedi council makes that decision?)

yeah luke only gave himslf the rank of jedi master, because he knew he experience many things in his journeys. I think it's possible the council would give him that rank.

Uh, oh! I wonder what kind of SACRIFICE is going to need to be made???? I hope one of our heroes isn't going to need to die, or even worse, go to the dark side in order to "prevail".

dunno, but Del-Rey has my intrest in the DN trilogy.

It sounds like maybe it WON'T exactly follow traditional structure. I wonder what they will change and how they will change it?

sounds like DR is getting creative now, hopefully they'll put it to good use. I hope luke's TSW moment will really spectacular and powerful.

I think you mean Luke and his father, right? They certainly have the same Force potential.

yeah i meant to put luke there, tired the night before. yeah and also don't count out leia, i remember in SOTE when vader felt luke's mirrored force presence( leia) and was shock that luke was in two places. I love that force potential wise anakin=luke=leia=jacen=jaina=anakin=ben and it's canon. :D

And sometimes the only way you can get what you want is to write i

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    MS86,

they fixed the controls and it should handle like the RS vehicles.

* Oho? THAT is of note.

tsk tsk, such dirty minds. I expected better from both of you.

* Ah, my poor innocent american! :)

funny demo for metal gear solid 4(some splintercell aspects), maybe if i could even grasp a bit of info on the game series before becoming confuse of all the plot twists i would like it. also i saw the killzone trailer, some cool stuff, i hope that is real time gameplay, not CGI. Quake 4 looks very intresting as well as zelda, perfect dark 0, x-men legends 2, brother in arms 2, the godfather, and scarface. o did i mention sw battlefront 2, halo 3, splintercell 4, and KOTOR 3 ?

* You could always get the GC version of Metal Gear Solid 1, I can attest it is quite stunning, especially the Kitamura-directed cut scenes!

HAHA!! agree to disagree. well JB i actually perfer the heinous piece of design work to other controls. i have very long fingers and the controls are great for my xbox games(halo, splintercell, ninja gaiden, kotor 2, LOTR, and the rest). i usually have problems with my GC controllor, it feels too dinky then what i perfer, and some what too confusing, i don't really care for the PS2s. Conker got a pretty decent rating from EGM 5.0, 7.0, & 8.0. then again i only like rare's perfect dark.

* Heheheh, well...in that case...

only in your mind my young apprentice.

"Put that thing away you're going to get us all killed."-Leia

"Look at the SIZE of that thing."-Wedge

* Do you really want a reply to this? ;) Could it be Palps was perhaps lacking in a department and wanted to compensate for it with a pair of Death Stars? ;)

kddidit,

You mean young people aren't all cut from the same cloth, so to speak, with uniform tastes and ideas which can be readily tapped to generate profits? No! </sarcasm>

* What? And the Pope's Catholic? And bears crap in the woods? Oh no! :)

Thanks for the info on Plato and Coruscant Nights. The idea of Jedi controlling the government *really* gives me the creeps. Jedi participation is okay. Outright Jedi control smacks too much of Palpatine's Empire.

* There is that aspect, but I thought it could have happened by popular demand following the collapse of the NR in SBS and the betrayal of the populace by numerous senators. Somehow, the system staggered on though.

COW,

Exactly! That's what I was trying to say in my rather clumsy way!

* Clumsy? Just more verbose I think! ;)

Well said. And I think probably almost as many teenagers disliked some of the teenage characters as adults did. Let's face it: about the only teenage character who was interesting and likeable as they were portrayed was Anakin Solo, and they KILLED him!

* At which point the pro-NJO fans became schismed on the issue and things became more complex in regard to fan viws of NJO.

Yes, Luke WAS having the Jedi use all of their talents and not just rely on the Force so much. But, as you said, along came Del Rey and suddenly Luke didn't know anything anymore.

* Yeah, out went the idea of using the Force to enhance other skills and in came relying on the Force exclusively. The order as it was progressing in Bantam would not have had the philosophical problems of the NJO to deal for, as they would have been able to formulate their own answers without the need for Darth Chicken!

Ah! I agree that this philosophy can be transferred to SW. I also agree that it becomes disturbing when it comes to benevolent dictatorships. I can see where the people might have looked to the Jedi after the NR collapsed during the YV invasion. (Though of course instead the Jedi were the ones blamed for pretty much everything until near the end.) But I'm not sure it would work to have the Jedi rule unless the person in question was a good politician and diplomat in the first place. Now Leia would come closest to qualifying, I guess.

* What makes you think Luke couldn't do it? Mon Mothma saw nothing to prevent Luke from being as good at politics as Leia, possibly better. Nor

25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    JediBen

Oho? THAT is of note.

i knew that would catch your intrest JB. ;)

You could always get the GC version of Metal Gear Solid 1, I can attest it is quite stunning, especially the Kitamura-directed cut scenes!

weird thing is that the controls felt weird on GC compare to the ps2. that and i don't understand the story. my cousin who let me borrow the game is a huge metal gear fan and knows everything, but from all the info i can get it was A VERY complex splintercell.

Do you really want a reply to this? Could it be Palps was perhaps lacking in a department and wanted to compensate for it with a pair of Death Stars?

LOL!!! and vader was not !?! what about his personal starship the executor ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.