main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Edmonton sotr

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Achilles_of_Edmonton, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruins

Ruins Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
  2. Achilles_of_Edmonton

Achilles_of_Edmonton Jedi Youngling star 4

May 13, 2005
    The meeting went very well.

Thanks to everyone who showed up. It was a very productive meeting and I feel a lot was covered. I will look at the concept of enlisting the recources of the various film and theatre programs to take on the contracts of building the sets.

Speaking of which my Dad has just informed me that if we ever need the assistance of a professional welder, he knows one who would be glad to help on the weekends any time. That will come in handy for sure. Also in addition to our own workshop which is now up and running, his own garage is quite well stocked and open for use also.

Thank you for Liann for the links on the imperial officer info and Jason for the amazing Yoda wanted poster. Very cool.

Sadly Erin Scott will not be able to portray the lead role of Aliska Malii-Sin any longer. The reasons range from the personal to the logistical but regardless, we wish her luck in all her endeavors.

Along the same note, Lianna Makuch will no longer be playing Leia. She has many school travel events in the coming year that will prevent her from being available let alone, in the nation during the time of shooting. She will be at the premiere and looks forward to seeing the finished product. We wish her luck as well.

Now this means of course that I have the exciting job of recasting these roles. I will be posting casting calls and speaking to various student programs at the different colleges in a search for ideal candidates. We have a few already as a matter of fact and I do not think it will be very difficult to find people willing to take these roles on. Likewise this will present an amazing opportunity to fill many other roles as well including extras.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. October is a big month for Secrets of the Rebellion.

3. ms_ventress

ms_ventress Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 10, 2004
    just my outside view, but the time (March/April) you are deciding to film... kind of runs into the most busiest and stressful time for a college/university students time in school. you might be hard pressed for a student... in my thoughts

4. Achilles_of_Edmonton

May 13, 2005
    Actually Erin you are not alone in that thinking and thank you for bringing that up as I was going to address that as well.

April May and June are weekend shooting that deal with small scenes at a time. There will be limited amounts of group shoots so that scheduling is easier to perform.

The student factor leads into two points I'd like to bring up.

I approached the Grant MacEwan program head regarding the recruitment and casting of students. It has come to my attention that their busiest time of year is in fact leading up to April, with April itself being rediculous as the students are in school from 8 to 4 and then have rehearsals and so on that keep them busy sometimes until 10 at night. Since they study a variety of skillsets at once there is a lot to cram in but after April things loosen up significantly causing their schedule to coincidentally match mine. Of course I'm not willing to pull anyone in multiple directions that they can't handle so it will be on a volunteer basis and we'll go from there.

Likewise I know that the TV students at NAIT are an excellent resource since they usually don't run their projects past 5 pm, at least they didn't while I was going there. It won't hurt to check in of course.

Now regarding the more demanding roles that have yet to be filled, for that I have posted a nationwide casting call.

There are many aspiring young actors and actresses who are willing to donate their time and are willing to travel for the sake of obtaining the gratifying amount of exposure this film will give them. I have recently joined Xpress Entertainment with some of the larger industry searches to find such people. For example I recently posted a casting call for the roles of Aliska, Leia, and some extras.

Before I go any further I should mention that Lianna Makuch will be unable to portray Leia since her extra curricular activities will have her travelling during the shooting schedule.

Anyways getting back to my previous point. I've only had the casting call approved just last night and by 11 this morning I've had promising responses for both roles and the extra roles as well. Of course it's not surprising when you take into account how beloved the source material is. It's something every actor dreams of doing, even if it's unpaid work.

I feel confident that any remaining uncast roles will be filled within the next couple of months and of course while this is taking place several other apsects of production move forward as well.

I will be posting updates and photos as final arrangements are made.

5. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    when i was at nait we were at school every night till midnight working on projects, we definately didn't have a lot of free time :)

6. Achilles_of_Edmonton

May 13, 2005
    Yeah but Liann you have a little thing I like to call a work ethic lol.

Oh and pride in your work, that too.

In my semester radio cats would always order pizza into the school because they knew they were in for a long night, midnight was not uncommon. Every time I heard the TV people talking they said they were hard pressed because they were chained there until 5 pm lol.

Like I said, don't quote me on it, we'll see where the interest lies. This years students could be more dedicated and probably are.

[face_peace]

7. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    wow things have surely changed since i've been there then :p but they have way more equipment now which is one of the reasons we were always there so late, everyone sharing the one good edit suite :p now i here they have 15 :rolleyes:

8. Achilles_of_Edmonton

May 13, 2005
    Holy crap, yeah that'll do it lol.

Alright gang, yet more updates coming down the pipeline.

Here's what's up.

Re: Casting

I have had more applicants for Aliska than I know what to do with but I've narrowed it down to 3 finalists and will be basing the decision on a well educated and prepped screen test. Each applicant will be sending me an audition tape. It feels a little like American Idol lol.

Lianna Makuch cannot commit to the role of Leia any longer because her extra curricular activities will be taking her abroad during the time of shooting. She will have some very cool travel opportunities and we wish her good luck on her journey.
    I have already recast this role. Introducing Krista Gibson everybody . . .

[image=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/Kit_Fisto/Episode%203%20and%20a%20Parsec/Krista.jpg]

In the set and prop building department we have a new crew member on board.

Greg Auch, owner of movie prop services edmonton has volunteered his time and expertise as well. He has extensive motion picture industry experience in prop making and stunt choreography. You will have seen his work in Blade Trinity for example. We welcome him to the team. Jay this is not in the fight department until it comes to falling and flipping with the utmost safety. When it comes to that you two can collaborate however you see appropriate.

Also if anyone wants to know more about the films musical score and the composer behind that, Kyle Newmaster is now on the site as is the link to his own site.

www.xpressentertainment.ca

9. Ky-Wan

Ky-Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Right on anyone who can help me along is a great assest

10. Achilles_of_Edmonton

May 13, 2005
    Connor you should take note as well because it's a pretty good bet this guy has a lathe. I'm sure he'd be more than willing to let us use it to fashion all those lightsabers.

11. Achilles_of_Edmonton

May 13, 2005
    I've been going over the script and reviewing it compared to the synopsis listed on the website. I've come to a conclusion that will do much for the film. It will require some additional shooting, some extra characters and a few extra costumes but it will be well worth it and won't require any of the main cast to be on screen.

I'm adding a scene to portray the rebel attack on Toprawa. It fits perfectly inbetween Aliskas first conversation with Antilles and their approach to the star destroyer. It's a great way to bridge the gap of time of them changing outfits and getting the shuttle to it's destination but it also shows the audience what's happening to get the plans on the destroyer in the first place. I think it will build dramatic tension and smooth out the flow of the story. It will also require very little set elements and give our new stunt choreographer something to work on since Red Hand squadron doesn't exactly make it out of there alive.

12. Ruins

May 29, 2005
    OH! OH! ME! PICK ME! I want to DIE!

13. Achilles_of_Edmonton

May 13, 2005
    Alright dude, you're in!

Who else wants a piece huh? Ask not what the rebellion can do for you but how many imaginary blaster bolts you can take for the rebellion!!

14. Ruins

May 29, 2005
    SIR! YES SIR!

15. Achilles_of_Edmonton

May 13, 2005
    NAIT's green screen studio is enormous. I won't need to supplement my own for many of the shots. However when it comes to building star destroyer hallways with them, the portable fabric types will be extremely useful.

Don't mind the materials laying in the middle, they are part of a music video to be shot there this weekend.

[image=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/Kit_Fisto/Episode%203%20and%20a%20Parsec/greenwide.jpg]

[image=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/Kit_Fisto/Episode%203%20and%20a%20Parsec/green6.jpg]

[image=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/Kit_Fisto/Episode%203%20and%20a%20Parsec/green2.jpg]

And then there's me unable to resist this photo op lol

[image=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/Kit_Fisto/Episode%203%20and%20a%20Parsec/markedit.jpg]

16. liannb

Jun 30, 2002
    ahhh school

17. Ruins

May 29, 2005
  18. Ky-Wan

Sep 19, 2002
    Way to go man!! thanks, I look kinda prdfessional and everything:)

19. Achilles_of_Edmonton

May 13, 2005
    Had a meeting with another NAIT guy, class of 04, who actually built the green screen pictured above. He's a very knowledgable film maker with some experience in the equipment and lighting end which I need some input on. His attitude toward film making and standards for quality are right in line with my own.

David Puff has made some student films in this style of shooting before such as Entity and his current project still in post production, Genesis.

I believe his experience will prove valuable in helping Episode 3 and a Parsec be it's very best and we welcome him on board.

20. Achilles_of_Edmonton

May 13, 2005
    Alright, rock and roll.

I know the latest news is on the website at all times so I'll try not to make this thread redundant.

Set building is going to begin this month and casting is going very well. Admiral Pratt is cast and online.

This is our new Lando, Sean Francis. His bio will be on the site shortly.

[image=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/Kit_Fisto/Episode%203%20and%20a%20Parsec/SeanCalrissian.jpg]

21. Ky-Wan

Sep 19, 2002
    I just want him to say 'it's not my fault' just once

22. Achilles_of_Edmonton

May 13, 2005
    LOL definitely.

He's looking forward to it, big time. And he's even elected to stay another day just so he can get some pics in the Falcon Cockpit.

And Aliska is now finally cast as well.

It took damn near a month but it was well worth the wait. Clarissa is an amazing actress with many excellent insights into the character and a natural personality for the role. She dressed as a Jedi for her screen test and even went so far as to do her hair and makeup that way as well. I think we can expect great things from her.

[image=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/Kit_Fisto/Episode%203%20and%20a%20Parsec/clarissa6.jpg]

Now it's time to work on set building. Greg and I are going to be organizing the structure for that very soon and we need volunteers to help us build this stuff. Who wants to help?

23. KingNothing

KingNothing Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2005
    Yes volunteer's. Even if you don't have a single construction bone in your body. lol.

24. Achilles_of_Edmonton

May 13, 2005
    Speaking of which, here's the disclaimer.

Xpress Entertainment is not responsible for the health and well being of any volunteers donating time and services to the projects set requirements.

Xpress Entertainment and info movie prop services Edmonton is not liable for any injury incured through the mishandling of materials or the tools used in said environment.

In other words, if you drop the active powersaw on your foot and lose 3 toes, not our fault! lol.

Seriously though gang, safety first.

25. Ky-Wan

Sep 19, 2002
    lol darn I have to spend hours training with her....................sucks .......................:p

lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.