main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Souderwan's Intellectual Retreat

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Guys' started by Souderwan, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Dear BB Housemates,

I'm going a little nuts with the absolute lack of intellectual discussion. I love the JCC, really I do. But, as you might have picked up, I occasionally have to post something that gets my intellectual juices cooking or I'll go nuts. We've reached my upper limit. We are now there. Rather than having me turn into an absolute nutter, I figured I'd create my retreat. Here, I ask you to post your deep thoughts (I understand, darth_boy, if this is an impossibility). I will read them and be happy.

Thanks,

Brian

2. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    If hot dogs are packaged in an 8 count from back when a typical family had 8 kids, why haven't the count in a hot dog package gone down to 2.5 now that the average family has only 2.5 children?

3. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Because hot dog buns come in packages of 6. Carry on.

4. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I was afraid that it was too much to ask. :(

In any case, US Unemployment steady at 4.5% with the creation of 132,000 new jobs (higher than expected). I'm quite pleased with the US economy overall. :)

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I wonder what the median wage of those jobs is... [face_thinking]

6. Suzuki_Akira

Suzuki_Akira Jedi Master star 7

May 13, 2003
    And when the federal government has to start paying back its debt, much of which is to the American people?

7. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Contrary to popular belief, the median wage has a generally upward trend (as of 2005), consistently rising above the rate of inflation.

Any other questions?

8. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    This implies that the average consumer of today has more spending power than the average consumer of, say, five years ago. But how do cost of living trends compare with these rates?

9. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Well, the very definition of inflation is a measure of how the cost of living increases over time, Suzi. So, the fact that the median wage increases at a greater rate than inflation means that at least half of the American people are better off than they were the year before.

It also means that half are not necessarily better off than they were the year before--this is what some would like to call the "disappearing middle class" when you say that the economy is doing well and they want to bash the President anyway. Glass half-empty/glass half-full kinda thing. :p

10. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Now this is an interesting story! I'm fascinated by it. Makes me wonder what one on the outside would think about the economic indicies I've been thinking about. Too bad I'll never know. :(

11. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    On some occasions it wouldn't be too much to ask, but to be honest on this occasion, on this board, I don't feel in the least bit compelled to have a serious discussion.

12. Suzuki_Akira

May 13, 2003
    Or, it means that ten percent is doing much better than the year before, and 90 percent a little worse. Play with the ratios however you like - disappearing middle class is a legitimate concern.

13. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Fair enough. :p

I wouldn't say that it's not a legitimate concern at all. I'm merely pointing out that the argument (median wages) often used is wrong. Besides, it is fundamental to any capitalist society that the more free the market is, the greater the disparity between the richest and poorest will be. It is also true that the poorest (on average) will tend to be richer than they would be in a society that has a market that is less free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.