main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Soul Calibur 2

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Soontir-Fel, Aug 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yavarice

Yavarice Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2000
    I've always been pretty bad at fighting games. In Street fighter 2 i've never been able to do a dragon punch at will, fatalities were beyond me in Mortal Kombat, super combos were the limit in Killer Instinct and it just boggles my mind to watch people play Marvel Vs Capcom (or similar multi-character matchups)

Yet I still went out and got Cube's Soul Calibur. Link had nothing to do with it, rather I liked the style, similar to that crouching tiger movie.

End result?

This game kicks butt.
    More specifically mine since I havn't improved since SF2.

Amazingly fun, even though I've probably gained more experience through failures in weapon master mode. I rather like the 'human' style characters more, except Ivy. I figure the sun will run out of hydrogen before I figure out all her moves.

2. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Is that list all the characters, or just the starting characters?

3. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I just picked it up today. Pretty sweet. I generally hate fighters but this one is keeping my interest for whatever reason.

4. WarmasterDan

WarmasterDan Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 3, 2002
    rented the full verison for PS2. Really enjoyable. Probably best fighter game I've played, and probably going to buy.

5. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    It is a great game... but not as good as Soul Caliber for the DC sadly.

6. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    Personally, I can't stand the GCN controls for this game. The button mapping makes no sense to me, and unless I want to use a trigger button to block, I have to shift my thumb from the main attack buttons over to the tiny little b button. And horizontal attack ends up being the biggest button period and it's more difficult to get thumb coverage with the other buttons.

XBox controls are almost exactly like the Dreamcast Soul Calibur controls. Therefore XBox controls >>>>> every other control scheme. Plus, I can get my thumbs on all the buttons I need for gameplay.

Of course, I speak of the regular XBox controller, not the bastardly little controller-s.

7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    You do realize that your fingers are supposed to move faster than your thumbs, right? That said, the GC's L and R buttons also serve the purpose of blocking, and can be activated with your fingers. Hence, fast blocking action.

I've never had any problem with the GC's controls in any game so far.

8. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    With the standard DC/XBox controls I have my thumb planted on all 4 buttons and can easily throw, block, or soul charge. Plus if I need to do a horizontal + kick move I don't have to reach for 2 oddly shaped buttons.

Of course, I would prefer an arcade stick to any controller, but ever since this game came out they've been scarce.

9. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    SC2 is a good game from what I've played. I still prefer DOA personally but it's still a damn good game.

10. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I've never been good at fighting games with an arcade joystick. I've only been good with a gamepad or the GC's control stick.

11. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    bump

¤Night

12. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I'm still playing this. Weapon Master mode owns me.

13. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I'm trying to make level 99 in Weapon Master mode, but since you need 500 000 XP to progress one level, it's going to take a while. I don't have as much time to play as I used to have either, so that's not helping.

14. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Got the X-Box version yesterday. Lot better than PS2 one. I got a question, how do you do aerial combos? I'm on the weapon master mission where you have to use them.

wolf

15. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I plan on getting this one for the x-box.

16. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Anyone know where I can find a WMP download of the Link demo for SC2? I'm looking for the clip where Link is training in that courtyard level, the one that was used to promote the GC version of the game.

17. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    My brother just bought SC2 for XBox. I've played it on GameCube before and it's just so much fun to play, especially with Xianghua, my favorite character.

To start, I just pressed random buttons and it works! It's what I did on Mortal Kombat. Worked then too. Now I actually use techniques and strategy and stuff. My favorite move is to kick my opponent off the side. "Cheap"--but easy and so much fun.

18. NightHawkX3

NightHawkX3 Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2004
    Yeah SC2 is the best. I have it for Cube.

My strategy is with Rapael to use his B Forward move, get them to the edge and press G+B Grab. It is so easy to win like that.

19. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I picked this game up today...god i love it. if i didnt have homework, id play it now! :p

it's a lot of fun, and easy to get the hang of.

20. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    I picked this game up today...god i love it. if i didnt have homework, id play it now!

That's funny I could have sworn this isn't homework. ;)

I got the game when it went greatest hits. Yes for PS2. I don't get why everyone hates Heihachi. Why? He is one of my favorite characters in it.

21. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    it's called a brief homework break :p

it's easier to sneak in a post ABOUT the game, than to play the game :p

22. DarkSithDrew

DarkSithDrew Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    I really dont like this game. It is way overated I think. But thats just my opinion. I would rather play a fighting game like Mortal Kombat or something

23. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    I still pick up and play this game sometime. It's great fun, and if I'm by myself, I usually end up trying to learn a new character. I can't wait for Soul Calibur 3, whenever ot may come. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.