main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga SOUL OF LOVE AND BRAVERY (AN AOTC-ERA AU)THANKS and A REQUEST(7/15/05)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by GunraysLawyer, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunraysLawyer

GunraysLawyer Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2003
    First, a brief introduction

TITLE: SOUL OF LOVE AND BRAVERY
    AUTHOR: GunraysLawyer
    TIMEFRAME:AOTC to just before EPISODE III
    CHARACTERS: Original Characters, Dorme, Anakin. Padme, Obi-Wan, Tarkin, and a cast of thousands
    GENRE: DRAMA, SOME ACTION, ROMANCE
    KEYWORDS: AU
    SUMMARY: A prequel to "To Absent Friends", an AU in, around and parallel to AOTC, with some moderate changes to canon, and a look into another romance

Disclaimer: Lucasfilms Ltd. or some related entity owns or likely owns all the rights to Star Wars and the canon characters and situations. I do not, and never will. I intend no infringement on any copyrights and neither intend nor will make any profit on the same.

Dedication: I dedicate this work to my readers, after all writing is one thing, but writing something that people enjoy is another. :)

Without further verbiage, behold the Prologue and Chapter 1, Part I of "Soul of Love and Bravery"

--------------------------
    PROLOGUE

The Republic stands on the brink of disaster. The Separatist Political Movement, lead by the charismatic ex-Jedi Count Dooku of Serrano, has lead several thousand systems to secession. The Trade Federation and the other commerce guilds have begun to make noises about joining the Separatists. As chaos spreads the Jedi Order?s ability to keep the peace has begun to be overwhelmed. The Senate of the Republic stands deadlocked between Proponents of a military solution, including the creation of a standing Army and Fleet, and the so-called Loyalists who base their anti-militarism in loyalty to their perceived ideals of the Republic. The debate has raged over much of the past year as the crisis has deepened with no clear end in sight.

In this atmosphere of crisis, a date has finally been set to vote upon the Military Creation Act. Two prominent individuals race toward Coruscant to take part in the vote or the events surrounding it. One is Amidala of Naboo, former Queen and current Senator. The other is Ge-Harza Arzhan, Lord Protector of the Kalinadian Commonwealth and former Jedi Knight...They both come to save the Republic, one by vote and negotiation, the other by coup-de-main...

CHAPTER 1, PART I PLANS AND ASSASINS

Grand Sitting Room, The Kalinadian Embassy, Coruscant

The gray-eyed man sat impassively in his favorite chair next to the archaic wood burning fireplace. He quickly ran his hand through his graying, black hair as the young officer in the grass green uniform began to speak.

"My lord, the plan is as refined as we can make it. All analysis of Neimodian military capability indicates that a swift attack of extreme violence, aimed at Neimodia Prime, will eliminate all organized resistance within a day or two. If Neimodia Prime falls, the Trade Federation will collapse as the Neimodi Merchant Princes try to save themselves. This will eliminate a major source of funding for the Separatists and keep the other commerce guilds out of the war."

The older man looked at the younger and spoke, "You can be a most excellent trained varkla, Lieutenant Korvalsalo Arlotra, but I did not pull you from your regiment as an Aide to hear you repeat what I could read. What do you think?"

"My Lord, the war plans staff has spent some considerable time creating this plan...Surely, they know more than I about these subjects..."

"Yes, but I have to sell this to the Chancellor and skeptical Senators. I need the input of my staff...Again, what do you think, Lieutenant Arlotra?"

Before he could speak, Korva was saved by the hiss of the door opening. He turned slightly to see a young, auburn haired man in a dark green uniform, piped in blue, and punctuated by a lightsaber handle. As he walked toward them, the newcomer said wryly. "What he wants, Korva, is your unvarnished opinion.? The young man turned his head and, smiling, continued, "Good Morning, Father, I hope that you slept well."

"Ivo, I've been trying to reach you on and off for most of the last hour..."

"Yes, I heard you, but I had to fin

2. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    *grabs first post* Whew. Great beginning. And Very, Very involved! ;)

3. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    So Ivo Sr joins the story?hmmm. Jr seems rather eager to join the fray against the Separatists ? war can give one honor and glory, but at what price?

And you begin w/Amidala?s ship exploding?We?ll have to see what you have in mind. ;)

Excellent beginning. :)

edit: Monday mornings *sigh*

4. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Can't blame Ge-Harza for turning down the opera... :p

Very intriguing start. :D So, Arzhan is Amidala's political opponent, arguing in favor of a massive attack to set the Separatists back. Hey, I hate Gunray with the best of them, but this is not a good idea. The Republic cannot start the war -- they must let the Separatists strike first, in a Pearl Harbor sort of way (as Geonosis itself serves later). But the idea fits well within the Kalindian society you have created, and Ivo's enthusiasm holds true to the character from TAF.

Well, we know Amidala isn't dead, don't we? And we know with whom she will be reuniting shortly. [face_love] So I wonder, has Ivo met Dorme yet? I am sure we will find out soon.

I wonder who Ge-Harza's wife is?

As always with you, lots of interesting questions. I look forward to (eventually) finding out the answers. ;)

5. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I never really thought that Anakin would have been the only Jedi to marry against the code. I'm sure there were cases brushed aside and hidden by the council. You'd think that the Jedi council would have worked with these Jedi to keep them in the order. They certainly needed the help.

6. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    "coup-de-main, eh?" Forceful, these Arzhan are...

I'm delighted to be taken back twenty-odd years to learn more about Ivo and his fascinating role in Anakin/Vader's life, and indeed, that of the Galaxy.

Staring at his son's features and auburn hair, he thought, No, Ge-Harza, he has too much of his mother in him. His mother? The mother of the 14-year-old boy who directly attacked a Jedi Master and had to be hauled off him? I certainly look forward to meeting this woman!

It's interesting that Korva is unnerved by people with Jedi powers. And yet we know that he ends up serving Ivo all of his life.

This is a great start. I look forward to more!

7. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    As someone who also sympathizes with Anakin for going against that ridiculous "a Jedi shall not know love" rule, I also sympathize with Ge-Harza.

Son and father allied together...bound by a woman who seems like a very formidable character...interested to see who she is, and where you're taking this story. :)

8. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Looks interesting. I'll be sticking around.

-Tim

9. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Great first post. Intricate and riveting and intriguing. I look forward to learning more about all the major players!!!

10. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Very interesting start to what I'm sure will be quite a story! I liked how you established Arzhan as being on the opposite side of the army vs. no army debate going on in the background. It gives us a different perspective. His backstory is interesting too; one who left the Order for love. I got a laugh out of Ivo putting the smackdown on Ki-Adi-Mundi. No wonder Ivo and Vader got on so well.

--MissPadme

11. NamelessAlien

NamelessAlien Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 25, 1999
    Interesting. But then, fathers of interesting men are bound to be interesting in themselves as well, ne?

Hooever, at the moment I think I like Ivo better.

BTW the Force-suggestion I PMed you, concerning Absent Friends, still stands - I can take "no", so don't be afraid to reply! :p

-Red

12. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I like this. I need to find this story called absent friends and read it also.

13. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    An Announcement: REPLIES 10/1 AM, POST OF Chapter 1, PART II, either 10/1 or 10/2 AM (depends how generous I'm feeling) :)

14. NamelessAlien

Nov 25, 1999
    Oh, do show generousity worthy of a Lord Protector to his loyal people. :p

15. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    For those looking for it (and it comes highly recommended) here is a link to Absent Friends

:)

Great Start Ivo, I mean GL!

[face_love]

16. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    I like this story too. Suspense parts.

17. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Ok, here are my initial replies....

GreatOne-- Thanks and yes, it is involved, but it should seem familar. :)

Arriss-- Thanks. Ivo's bellicosity is really designed to show the warrior ethos of the culture. It is very similar to the ethos of the Anglo-Irish gentry of 19th Cent. Britain or the Norman Nobility of the 11th and 12th centuries or the Burgundian Nobility of the 15th century. Just hang on for the ride... :)

Darth_Lex--Life is full of Questions, isn't it? :) The elder Arzhan is a realist. He is certain that war will come, and he has no desire to cede the initiative. Also, he has chosen the least sympthatetic target in range.

As to Ivo's mother...See below.

The Noblewomen of Naboo...you'll find out about them and your other question by the end of chapter 1. ;)

Rebelmom-- Thanks, but I don't think that the hide-bound council could ever really change that much...More on Arzhan and the Jedi later. ;)

Geo3-- Thank you.

Ok, Ivo's mother again...See below.

As for Korva's unease...One thing that always annoyed me about the GFFA was that until AOTC we saw no realistic depiction of reactions to teh use of the Force. I think there are three main reactions to such...

1)fear;

2)unease;

3)fascination

We saw Padme with #3 in AOTC, that Korva would be uneasy shouldn't be all that surprising. He is however made uneasy by the silence, so to speak, not by the noise...

Anakin_girl-- Greetings, and thank you for the interest. Again, Ivo's mother [sigh], see above for directions

Darth_Tim-- Welcome, and it is nice to see the other Military history type show up. :) I look forward to your comments.

dianethx--Thank you and welcome. I hope you continue to enjoy it, but a word of advice, pay attnetion to all the intricate details you mention...there all there for some reason. :)

MissPadme-- The Pithy One returns..Thank you for your thoughts, and I am glad that someone other than me got a laugh out of the Ivo's kicking Mundi's rear over insult to Mom issue.

NamelessAlien-- Hello. Yes and no on the interesting men part. Ge-Harza is both more and less interesting than Ivo, you may like him better soon.

Crystalkenobi--Hi, just please stick with this after reading Ivo's view of Kenobi in "To Absent Friends". I promise that Obi-Wan is a more sympathetic character here. :)

Darth Breezy--Well, my second colorful lurker...I'm glad you like it...See my comment to MissPadme in the other story for the character resemblance issue.

PattyB0123--Hello, and thanks for liking it. See you around when writing code lets you be...

IVO's MOM: Guys and Gals, she was just meant to be a transitory line at this point with an appearance later in the story, but I will tell you that she is important, she is tall, auburn-haired and of a fiery disposition. I hope the lady Lianna Arzhan, Protectrix, will not disappoint...

Oh, and next post is up in the next post...

18. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Ok, Here's teh Next Part

CHAPTER 1, PART II LADIES OF NABOO

Dormé Lankrerrie, Handmaiden and general companion to Senator Amidala sat at her desk in the music room of the Senatorial Residence going over the list one more time. It was the list of Senators, officers of the executive branch, and other sundry notables for the Senator to see and lobby before the vote. This will be so much easier when Versé and Cordé are here. At least then, I?ll have four extra hands to help with this household. Well, this is what I get for being eight centimeters taller than Padmé and no good as a decoy, just a protocol expert and an administrator. All those credits training me as a bodyguard gone to waste. I wonder which one will be her decoy for the arrival...

With that thought the bored 21 and a half year-old pushed herself away from the desk and walked over to the lacquered wood thetella. She sat down on its bench, stretched her fingers over the double keyboard, and began to play. The ?Princess? aria from ?Queen Amimallé? had always been one of her favorites. It had been her performance piece in the exams for her degree in keyboard performance at the Royal Conservatory. She?d been 9 years old, a child prodigy. It had been about the time that she decided to leave music for politics. Having ended up a glorified Lady?s Maid and housekeeper, she wondered whether she?d made the right choice. Her mind began to clear as she lost herself in the music as the picks and hammers of the instrument did their work.

She was only about a third of the way through the aria when a pale and frantic looking security guard came into the room.

?Oh, Milady Lankrerrie, here you are. We?ve been looking for you?there has been a bombing?? he stopped as he seemed to need to compose himself.

?A bombing? What do you mean?? Dormé shouted over the last dying notes of the beautiful music.

?Milady?the Senator?s ship was bombed on landing. We received a message from Captain Typho. It was very sparse on detail. He only said that he and the Senator were en route and to increase security to maximum.?

?Is she all right? What about Cordé and Versé??

?I presume that the Senator is unharmed, but I have no word on the others?other than the fact that there were fatalities.?

?Get Representative Binks, and inform him. I?ll be in the Senator?s quarters. She?ll be going to the Senate, and need to dress.?

--------------------------------------------

As the speeder arrived at the speeder dock six floors below the Penthouse, a young woman fought to bring her body under control. Padmé Naberrie, The Senator Amidala, was trembling nearly uncontrollably in a combination of anger and fright. She hoped that Captain Typho didn?t notice. He?d probably want her medical condition checked, and she needed to get to the Senate. Their hasty departure from the landing Platform would certainly lead to rumors that she and not Cordé, her decoy, had been killed. She saw two more security guards sprint towards the dock. She did not notice the tiny surveillance droid flitting past the docks as she emerged from the speeder and was surrounded by guards. She swiftly made her way to the private elevator to the penthouse, and she heard Captain Typho breathe a sigh of relief as it began to ascend.

?Captain,? she said.

?Yes, Senator.?

?I will need to go to the Senate as soon as possible. Please make transport arrangements. Also, commence and investigation into today?s events. Finally,?? she paused as her voice seemed to catch in her throat, ?recover?Cordé?s body and the bodies of any other Naboo who died. Get me information on the wounded as quickly as possible.?

?Of course, Milady.? Said the one-eyed soldier as the door to the elevator slide open to reveal a slightly distressed, but determined looking, Dormé.

?Milady,? she said with a minimal curtsey, ?I have taken the liberty of laying out a gown, as I presume you?ll want to go to the Senate. The Holonet is already reporting your death as an unconfirmed ev

19. NamelessAlien

Nov 25, 1999
    Go, go, action, murder, political intrigue, YES! This is good. I'm totally enjoying. :p Bonus points for utter lack of mush. Double bonus points for noticeable lack of typos.

20. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Very good. Padme safe for now. I like how she said that no one was going to die for her like that again, or something like that, to Dorme's offer.

21. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    I wonder what GFFA life insurance policies for Padme's decoys run for... :D Lucky for our favorite Senator that no one seems to remember the decoy trick when trying to kill her...

-Tim

22. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Ahhh ! Thus it begins!!

Keep me updated!!!

23. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    Political intrigue indeed. ;)

I feel for Dormé and Padmé at the loss of the handmaidens ? death is never easy to deal with.

I think I?ll lounge back in my easy chair and see what you?ve cooked up. I?m keeping my eye on the Arzhan?s?

24. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Interesting characterization of Dorme, in filling out her personality and background for us.

Padme is duty-bound as always, refusing to let her grief get in the way of her responsibilities. As short as it was, the scene said a lot about her.

And I really enjoyed the ending. I can just picture Ivo contemplating this: "I have a bad... well, not bad, exactly... but not good either... just... well, something... I have a feeling about this." :p

Looking forward to more, wondering where you'll take this. :D

25. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    This is what I get for having a late start to the day - all those ahead of me have stated many of my thoughts! LOL@ Tim and the decoy insurance policy. Ditto Lex and the "sort of bad feeling about this...."

Seriously, I am enjoying the setup for this tale. The time period and larger events are most familiar, but I just know we are going to be treated to a completely fresh view of them. That is something I am looking forward to.

Ah, Padme, Padme, you need to learn to smile for that holo still in Absent Friends. My Jedi powers tell me that you will be taken in that direction, but with many twists and turns along the way...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.