main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga SOUL OF LOVE AND BRAVERY (AN AOTC-ERA AU)THANKS and A REQUEST(7/15/05)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by GunraysLawyer, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I do want to address one thing: Padme will not have to make a scene per se, and the plot to manipulate the Jedi will likely play out over the course of the entire evening at what is as much a political as social event.

Got it. Thanks for the info...

And sorry that I haven't replied yet- I got the PM, but I've been so busy lately...but that doesn't matter. I can review now.

I really liked the, well, the entire chapter. It was all agreat. I realy liked the Dorme/Ivo scene- I love how you portray them both. Dorme exclaiming that she was only on her third movement of the concerto... Well, that's Dorme for you, I guess. And just the way she and Ivo interacted left me with a nice warm feeling inside. It truly is a joy to read them. I also found Ivo's comment about Dorme being an excellent Protectrix right on the mark. She certainly would be.

And now that I've finally gotten around to reading Breezy's fics with Kam and Shurke, I liked the way you use them. Liike she herself said, you have brought them so seamlessly into the fic that at first, I didn't ever realize that they weren't your own.

Sorry that this doesn't have much substance (except praising you), but I think I'm just going to leave this like it is. I'm not in a very analytical mood at the moment-but let me just repeat how much I liked the chapter.

2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Freindly bump!

3. GunraysLawyer

GunraysLawyer Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2003
    Replies 3/21/05...

4. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    ?I mean, you basically walk in, hit everything that she?s upset about and are utterly dismissive about her concerns. You do everything, but accuse her of not loving him enough, and yet, she tells me that she appreciates your efforts more than she can say, and that she thinks that there is far more to you than is ever seen by people you?re not on intimate terms with. She actually said that she felt oddly privileged that you cared enough to come to her and argue with her about him. I simply don?t understand.?

When I read this paragraph I was struck by a sense of? well, rightness, for lack of a better word. I believe without reservation that, no matter how upset she was with Ivo initially, someone like Padmé would only react positively to his honesty, his loyalty, and his unswerving willingness to help out a friend. I was delighted to see that put so insightfully on the page.

?If you must know, it?s planned as a concerto, and I am only about halfway into the third movement,? Dormé replied impatiently.

Only about halfway into the third movement. After spending snatches of time here and there making notes. *walks away suffering from an acute bout of creativity-envy*

For her part, Kam simply said, ?Good evening, Padawan Canaille,? and resumed her solitary, guilty march down the corridor that would eventually lead to her quarters and more solitude.

Aha! I had wondered just how Kam felt about her participation in this venture! She seemed so composed before. I was glad to catch this glimpse inside of her.

?No, Ivo.? Dormé said forcefully. ?I won?t let you give up your life?s destiny in order to try to avoid wedding planning. Anyway, do you really think that my mother would be any happier with what she?d regard as a dodge. I want to marry you in as normal and formal a way as is required to make it clear that as you have accepted an outsider, that she has accepted you.?

Well, there you are. They are perfect for one another.

Without warning, Ivo leaned down and kissed her hand. Softly he said, ?My darling Dormé, Korva?s reaction to news of the engagement was correct. You were born to be Protectrix.?

Better than any of the current crop of Kalinadians, I would think. While having all the required qualities for the office, plus the love and trust of the future Protector, I think Dormé brings to the role a certain refeshing objectivity, a broader perspective if you will, along with the sterling quality of being first and foremost an independent thinker. Yes, I think she?ll do just fine! and Kalindia will be lucky to have her.

Ivo already knows how lucky he is, bless him.

5. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    All right, I promised replies today, but it looks like they're going to be put up tomorrow....DRL related issues.

6. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Sorry I haven't had time to say much recently. I am around reading, even if you don't hear from me.

7. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    I liked how you portrayed Padmé?s continuing emotional turmoil through Dormé?s report to Ivo. We don?t see Padmé directly, yet we know she?s still struggling mightily with all that has happened ? the war, Anakin?s injury, her own choices, and the rest. At least upon reflection she?s now grateful for Ivo?s assistance.

Great conversations between Ivo and Dormé. I particularly enjoy the way they keep an eye toward the political and cultural ramifications of their marriage, as well as the familial and personal ones. Two sharp kids, they are. ;)

Although I have to wonder? Doesn?t this Kalinadian aristocrats wartime nuptials rule lead to a lot of bigamy (trigamy? quadramy?) problems? :p Or perhaps the nobles are expected to be more restrained in their pledges of love? (If not the second half of the requirement? [face_mischief] )

Still awaiting the ball.

8. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Yeah, teah, I know I said today yesterday, but it'll actually be tomorrow morning or late tonight before full replies....

But, I have to note one thing:

Darth_Lex--- The answer to your question is only with criminal intent. But, Counselor, you should go back and take a look at the text on the Wartime Nuptial Law quirk...It's a three part test not two. That's why Heinskarso (who shares with Ivo a great-grandfather, the Protector Corlashilon XIV, except by way of his longest held mistress, instead of his wife and a grandfather with Ivo's former Fiancee, Elica, and her little brother, Fernanil)and Anselian are not even privately married. She won't say yes to his now quarterly marriage proposals because of the reaction from his family. Thus, despite being in love (which they'd freely profess to anyone), esseintially maintaining a household together, and sleeping together on an extremely regular basis; she's his mistress, not his wife.

9. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Ok, Guys and Gals, I have to admit that I am falling down on the Job here, but I will not be able to get replies up before I race to catch a plane to Seattle. I will be at my in-laws in Washington for the next two + weeks for Easter and my brother-in-law's wedding. I will likely have only limited internet access during that time, and you won't see a new post until April 11 or 12 at the earliest. Though, odder things have been known to happen....

One thing though, keep the thread up and I will try to get replies out sometime in teh next few days....

See you and Happy Easter to those whom it applies.

10. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Have a great trip, my friend! And Happy Easter.

11. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    A bit of male bashing here? ;)

Why do men feel the need to be so blunt and callous? Yes, Ivo was truthful but even the truth can be told in a way that is more?delicate, shall we say?

Good for Dormé to let her man know how she feels about his behavior. Whether she approved or not is irrelevant, (well, not really, but for the sake of argument at this point in time) more to the point of her level of comfort to be just as blunt w/him w/her thoughts/reactions. But then again Dormé isn?t exactly a wall flower, now is she? ;)

Calians Arhalik ? hmmm, wonder what his role is going to be? [face_thinking]

Nice interaction between Kam and Schurke ? nice flow with them. Good job w/DB?s characters.

Although Ivo?s proposition is a noble gesture it doesn?t surprise me that Dormé would reject it. Her pride and sense of duty notwithstanding, she is not one to just hide in shadows. She is indeed a born Protectrix and soon everyone will bear witness to that fact.

12. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Yes, I'm still here....

Replies and maybe even a new post soon...

13. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Hate to do this, but I'm upping myself again...

About to disappear for a few days while my Brother-in-law gets married...

So, in the sprit of Captain James Lawrence, 'Don't give up the thread!'

14. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Ok, a quick scheduling announcement:

If all goes well, I'll be sending my next piece to my beta tonight sometime (PDT) and replies will go up either late PM EDT on 4/9 or early AM 4/10.

Sorry for the wait, but wedding and visits to sibling-in-law's haunts in the wilderness have eaten up much of my time.

15. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    I'll be back from vacation in a week. I'll catch it then :)

16. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    Just began reading this (about 10 pages in) and I just wanted to say I am definitly hooked! Wonderful story so far and Im looking forward to reading the rest! :)

17. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Some quick replies with more tonight...

DarthBreezy--- All I can say is thank you so much for your loaning of OCs near and dear to your heart. Also, thank you so much for your continued support of this work.

PregnantPadme--- Yes, the second post, but I guess more coffee might be in order.... :) [face_laugh]

Sophronia--- Thank you for all your praise...Now for your questions:

Dorme and music have an intense relationship. As someone may have mentioned, it is very like that of a Jedi and the Force or A Kalinadian God-Touched and their sense of the flows and harmonies of creation. The nature of genius is difficult to convey, but speed at difficult creative endeavors and self-flaggellation over not being faster seem good markers.

As for the private marriage idea...I think that I've answered your last question a little down the thread. As for teh otehrs:

1)Under traditional Kalinadian Law...She'd be his widow, and the Baroness of Tornoch (the Barony is Ivo's personal property; The Duchy is the Property of the Protecoral House)[Unless, this happened post instrument of Abdication, in which case the Duchy of Dunlind would find itself the home of teh founders of an abortive new collateral branch of the Arzhan family with the Widow as its only member);

2)If pre-Abdication or post, then the Child would receive Ivo's titles and rights. The difference would be whether the Child would have a de jure claim to the Throne;

3)Yes.

laurethiel1138--- Thank you, and just you wait... ;)

qingauk--- Thanks and I promise, you'll get at least one other post pre-C3.

MissPadme--- Thanks, and they are a little predictable, aren't they...

anakin_girl--- Thanks and PM me, please regarding a photo of you that I saw on ALW. :eek: :) ;)

Alethia--- Sorry that this doesn't have much substance (except praising you), but I think I'm just going to leave this like it is

Well, the only correct response is Thank you. I am really glad that you're enjoying.

------

OK, More tonight, I'm done with Lunch and off to court!

18. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    The rest of the Replies....

Geo3--- Yes, Padme would respect Ivo, but as I have said before, Ivo/Padme and Kalinda/Naboo very often represent the flip sides of the same coin. Their cultures are actually less different than they may seem at first glance. Thnak you so much for think that I did it well. I had little faith that it would be so clear.

See above on my point about Dorme's composing in the earlier replies on the creativity issue.

Kam...well, I wanted to try to show Kam's guilt at going around the Code and the Order. It's a characteristic of sense of responsibility that Breezy brings out so well.

As to you last point, I agree, and Dorme the Merciful/Dorme the Just (there's an opposition you don't see made often) ability to be an objective outsider will aid Ivo in any number of situations.

Darth_Lex--- The Ball is coming.

As to your first point, Padme is in some emotional turmoil from now on...it's tough, but it comes from the choices she's mad einthe face of circumstances.

Arriss--- Ok, I think that I have responded to most things you raise above, but I would argue that Ivo doesn't seem himself as being caustically blunt. He reacts in the face of what he perceives to be Padme's illogical concerns and, to him, shocking rejection of a seemingly great plan. ;)

Like I said, flip sides of the same coin.

PadawanKitara--- I hope you enjoy/enjoyed your vacation!

QueenSabe7--- WooHoo!!! A new reader! Thanks, and I can't wait for you to catch up! Welcome to teh club!

next post is with the Beta....

Sorry that I haven't been too articulate lately, too busy and tired.

19. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Do me a favor. Put me back on your PM list, please. Life has been a.... <insert bad word here> and I don't want to miss the rest...

20. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Suprise, Suprise, it's a NEW POST!!!

Chapter 29

Part IV Arrivals and Deliveries[

Coruscant, The Alderaani Senatorial Delegation Offices, 1220 hrs., Three days later

Dormé followed Padmé into the dining room set up for the Loyalist Committee working lunch. All of the members from the days before Geonosis milled about the wood-paneled High Alderaani style dinning room. They clustered in what Dormé thought of as small, almost conspiratorial groups. Their numbers had been enlarged by two. The Gran Senator, Ask Aak of Malastre had joined as a representative of the more militant factions of the Senate, and a young Chandrillian woman named Mon Mothma had been recruited as the most eloquent member of the peace at nearly any price faction.

Padmé took her seat and grimaced slightly as her back touched the high wooden chair back, while Dormé noted the attempts by most of the other Senators to hide their glances. Dormé regarded it as a bad omen given the likely contentiousness of the meeting. The Loyalist Committee was splitting into two major factions. One faction was buttressed by the newly joined Gran, and was primarily concerned with winning the war. The other sought immediate negotiation and a ceasefire. Both had tried to recruit Padmé in the three days since her meeting with Ivo.

Well, there?s a more pleasant subject to think about, Dormé thought as her mind drifted to the hurried, but memorable, activity in the Music Room after her lunch with Ivo the day before. She tried to suppress the grin and blush that rose at the memory of her sister?s disapproving stare and her slight shock upon being told by a flushed and slightly disheveled Dormé, ?Don?t blame him for my ideas.?

Senator Organa?s welcoming comments barely registered on Dormé. Instead, she had moved from pleasant memories to fretful thoughts of this night?s dinner and Ivo?s meeting with her parents.

-------------------------

The Kalinadian Embassy, Security Company Commander?s Office, 1235 hrs.

Ivo sat and reread the third iteration of his Company?s action plan for security on the night of the Ball. For at least the fourth time, he silently complained to himself, Why can?t I have Korva look over this? He can always spot the weaknesses in plans that Genty and I concoct. I really do think that using Korva to help prioritize Father?s message traffic is a waste of his talents?

Ivo looked over at his desk chrono and sighed. Aloud, but to no one but himself, Ivo said, ?Two hours till my meeting with Uncle Calians and the Constabulary Protection Service. Not quite three hours after that, an early dinner with Dormé and her parents. I just hope that nothing comes up.?

-----------------------

Coruscant, Eastport Complex, 1445 hrs.

It was Kobal who saw her first. If truth were told, compared to his wife, Anlweé Lankrerrie wasn?t really looking. Yet he spotted his elder daughter only five or ten seconds after Kobal.

As Kanlié reached them, Anlweé wrapped her in an intense embrace and kissed her cheek. As he drew back, he whispered, ?Hello, my dear.?

?Hello, Father. I hope that the passage was comfortable,? Kanlié replied, before moving to hug and greet her Mother.

From the corner of his eye, Anlweé noted the nearly perfunctory nature of the two women?s embrace. Kobal was distracted. Suddenly, and predictably to her Husband?s mind, she asked, ?Where?s Dormé??

Kanlié quickly responded, ?She?s with the Senator at a luncheon. She should be back by the time that we get to your hotel and then to the Residence.?

With stunning alacrity, Anlweé stated, ?Well, all?s well then. Let?s get to the Hotel, we can talk on the way.?

--------------------

The Kalinadian Embassy Tower, the Life Guard temporary barracks, 1510 hrs.

Lash had been at a late lunch in the Mess after spending the morning shooting with Gari when Heinskarso had summoned him. As he rushed to his company commander?s temporary office, Lash surmised that something sign

21. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Wow, that was one heck of a necklace!! Dormé gets a fabulous necklace, Padmé has to hide even her simple japor snippet :(.

Can't wait to see Anakin at the ball :).

--MissPadme

22. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Suprise, Suprise, it's a NEW POST!!!

Yay! Welcome back from the outer reaches of DRL?

First off, very nice little details about Padmé favoring the wounds on her back ? easing into the chair, blanching at the device of the nexxu rendered in jewels ? terrific! I love things like that.

I thought your characterization of Kobal was really very interesting and well done. The differences between her playing and her daughter?s ? her obsession with her daughter?s career as a musician (displaced ambition if ever I?ve seen it) ? all were done marvelously. Again, it?s all in the fine details.

Their mother?s head snapped up from the thretella. ?He?s even affected your music? You composed this for him, didn?t you??

In retrospect I had to laugh at the juxtaposition between this comment (denial, anyone?) and the huge, impressive symbol of Ivo?s actual role in Dormé?s life that walked throught the door at around the same time?

It seems that EVERYONE is coming to this ball. I can?t wait.

?Because when the Lady Talsia died shortly after giving birth to the current Protector, the Protector Brenkal IV sent it with the rest of her jewelry to the Repository and sealed the room that she died in at the Castle of Dunlindia. No one but Ivo and his father have been in the room since.

I really enjoyed this link to the story of ?The Red Bedroom.?

I was moved my the contrast between Ivo?s open and spectuacular gift and public declaration of love, and Padmé?s sadness at the end of this post. As usual, MissPadme summarized it perfectly: Padmé even has to hide her simple japoor snippet. :_|

Wonderfully done!

23. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    The necklace sounds exquisite. [face_love] Poor Padmé just can?t seem to get ahead in this installment. She?s in pain physically and emotionally. :(

Dormé is one lucky lady. Although her mother leaves?something to be desired. (I?m guessing you were looking for that kind of effect).

Can?t wait for the ball. I?m sure it?ll be grand.

FYI ? I?ll be at C3 next week so if you post I?ll catch up after I return home. :)

24. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    hurray for a new post.

I consider the "family reuinion" with mother to be more along the lines of an interrogation, but you did hint (or was I reading to much into it) that there was not a lot of emotional connection between Dorme/Kanlie and their mother. Is this because of Dorme's decision to leave the concert circuit? Or something else sicne she treats both girls that way.

I love the big production involved in delivering the gift. No one will notice anything (or any other couple?) at the ball thanks to that little bauble.

25. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Now how long did it take you to think of the details in that necklace :)? Very lovely.

The meeting with parents surely had some negative undertones.. nice job..

Maybe a new post after the convention??????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.