main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga SOUL OF LOVE AND BRAVERY (AN AOTC-ERA AU)THANKS and A REQUEST(7/15/05)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by GunraysLawyer, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Yay, Anakin and Padmé together again [face_love], though Anakin needs to clue in when his friends are trying to help him.

Palpatine :mad:.

And it looks like the Elica/Dormé catfight, er, confrontation is about to get underway.

--MissPadme

2. GunraysLawyer

GunraysLawyer Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2003
    Replies and a new post perhaps as soon as later this afternoon.

The new post: Chapter 31 Cat Fight

3. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    As promised replies and then a new post.

Geo3--- Ah, so many observations....

Ivo and his friends are a band of brothers...It is a not uncommon thing in Kalinadian culture and is celebrated in their art and literature. They are instantly Dorme's friends, and would act as such even if they couldn't stand her, for his sake. Elica, on the other hand, crossed that line where the duties of friendship required action.

Yes, they are trying to pull in Anakin and Padme...trying

Gersalis versus Yoda or as I envisioned it the Kalinadian Yoda versus Yoda.... I am glad that you enjoyed. Originally, this post had more of this conversation spread through it. I thought that it bogged things down, despite my interst and yours/Lex's.

Elica...Elica...Elica....more on her later.

dianethx--- Thank you, such praise from an author of your skill truly humbles me.

We already talked about the Castle, right?

For those not in on it, the Castle is Dunrobin in Sutherland in Scotland. It is a truly beautiful slightly wild place.

Darth_Lex--- Well, the ball is certainly living up to its billing

Good, I feared that it might not.

The conversation between the Exarch and Yoda was a hoot. You could write a whole viggie just of that and it'd be awesome

yes, and three or four of us(including me) would read it. 8-} See above for my original plans.

Yes, you do get a glance here at Ivo's manipulative/planning/political abilities through the A/P meeting. Oh, and he was not just an effective Moff, he was a very effective Moff.
    ;)

PadawanKitara--- We'll see...But I hope that it won't disappoint.

QueenSabe7--- Thank you, and the Cat fight cometh...

qingauk--- Thank you, and I hope that the School year is wrapping up easily and well...

MissPadme--- Yes, Anakin can be oblivious at times, and Palpatine is slime.

Your instincts are correct, the main event is about to begin.

Now, I am going to do something totally crass....

First, I want to thank all who nominated me in the Sumer Fanfic awards. Now the crass part....

Look, Ivo Arzhan has been nominated by my count 4 or 5 times for Best Male OC, losing is getting to be a drag. So, unless there is another male OC that you think, in your heart of hearts, is more deserving of the award than Ivo, rally to the cause and VOTE IVO IN '05.

Ok, now to remind people, here is an image of Elica Arhantia towards the end of her relationship with Ivo (circa 2.5 years pre-SL&B, her appearance has changed little)'

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Gunrayslawyer/monica042.jpg]

New post in the next post on the thread!

4. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    As promised, a New Post:

Chapter 31 Cat Fight

Obi-Wan was suspicious.

First, Senator Organa had sought his views on the war and its likely course. Then, the young, red-haired Senator Mothma of Chandrila had approached the two of them seeking much the same information. As far as Obi-Wan knew, both Senators were part of the Loyalist Committee and had similar views on the war. The path of the conversation had swiftly destroyed Obi-Wan?s conception of the Loyalist Committee?s views. While regretful that the war had begun, Organa was very much of a mind to use the Clone Army and the Republic?s various other forces to deliver what he called ?a sharp shove to the ground? to the Separatist militaries prior to an Armistice and negotiations. Mothma was all for an immediate cease-fire and negotiations to alleviate the 'misunderstandings about the nature of the Republic' that had lead to what she called, 'this horrible series of events.' Both were seeking his support and approval.

Obi-Wan found his nature favoring Mothma?s position, even as he knew that it was naïve. His intellect and experience told him that Organa was more right than wrong. Mothma was in the process of finally trying to pin him down, when he felt the approach of a powerful Force-user, who was not even attempting to disguise his approach. Sensing a way out, Obi-Wan smiled at Mon Mothma and said, ?Senator, I think that we?re about to be joined by another point of view on these issues.?

He barely had finished talking when a deep lilting voice interjected, ?Excuse me for interrupting, but may I have a private word with Jedi Kenobi??

?Ah, Your Grace,? a smiling Bail responded, ?certainly, but first let me congratulate you on your happy news. Now, the political question of the hour, do you favor the acceleration of the war or a ceasefire in place with immediate negotiations??

?Thank you, Senator. As for you question, I am after all a Kalinadian and a military man. So, as you might expect, I would say that there is no substitute for victory and the ability to dictate the terms of the peace that comes with it. Of course, that assumes that victory is attainable and that one is willing to be as ruthless as necessary in its pursuit.? As Mothma too, jumped in to offer her congratulations, Obi-Wan found himself studying the Kalinadian. He smiles, exchanges pleasantries, and evades troublesome questions like a master politician. I hadn?t really expected this.

As the two Senators began to draw off debating what the Kalinadian had actually meant, Obi-Wan looked at the auburn haired, gray-eyed man, and asked, ?So, Captain Arzhan, how may I be of assistance??

The Kalinadian grinned at him. It was the same almost infuriatingly infectious, somewhat silly grin that had always slightly annoyed Obi-Wan in his dealings with the man, but he released his feelings into the Force as Arzhan said, ?My, how neutral a tone you use. I really must learn to do that some time. But, alas, I am not here to be inspired by your public persona. Instead, I am here to thank you. On Geonosis you were a worthy ally, and but for Master Dooku using our strengths against us, we might have ended this conflict there. Now, despite what these political dilettantes think, we?re in for a long war.?

Obi-Wan was touched. It was an odd sensation to feel as a result of the actions of Ivo Arzhan. So, he followed where the Living Force lead him. ?Thank you Captain, and you are right, both on the Count?s actions and, I fear, about the war.?

Arzhan seemed to hesitate for a moment, and then said, ?I also need to talk to you about a situation that has just developed involving Senator Amidala.?

-------------------------------------

When Fernanil Arhantia saw his sister striding towards the group that he was so honored to be a part of, he nearly panicked. In fact, he had choked on his drink, much to the distress of the very pretty, and very attentive Jelya Lady Ardelfis. As she rubbed his back and asked what was

5. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Remember??? no I do not remember it to be the last. :(

Touche' Dorme.. fine job of handling such a wench! I can't believe you are ending this! We must know what happens and how Dorme is not with him in the future..I do hope you plan to let us know the events in between now and where we first me him in memory of his wife. You have done a fine job Master..=D= . I look for more now that I have time to read [face_dancing]

6. NinjaSkywalker

NinjaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Great Post GL!

I was worried that you'd push Fernanil away from the group, glad to see that he's now thouroughly ingrained into the 'Dunlind Set'

The comradarie that they all have is very powerful...makes you see the heart of the society through their standing up for each other.

Korva challenging Elica [face_laugh]

Nice backhand from Dorme by the way... [face_beatup] :D

Looking forward to the last few posts of this story, then the sequel :)

Matt

7. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    =D= Anakin and Padmé are getting closer!! WOOT!!

Ivo and company are blessed friends to do this for our star-crossed lovers. [face_love]

I don?t think Dormé will have any difficulty keeping Ivo in line [now or in the future]. ;) :D

Ahh, the confrontation. This should be an interesting cat fight, I mean, conversation. :p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dormé and Ivo?s friends did their part ? as friends should. :D It?s a pity that Elica is such a snobby wench w/no class whatsoever. Yes, she?s a pathetic person and needs a good brow beating.

I?m not sure but?did Dormé slap Elica? It sounds as if she did but I?m not clear if it was her or Ivo. Then again, the tramp could have tripped on her gaudy dress and fallen herself. ;)

I had no doubt that Dormé would give Ms. Wannabe a good talking down.

I was surprised by your take on Bail Organa though. He was never for the war. :confused:

I didn?t realize you were getting near the end of this tale. You?ve done a great job and should be proud.

8. MissPadme

Jul 9, 1998
    Elica is lucky Anakin didn't take her head off with his lightsaber then and there. If I were her, I'd make sure I wouldn't bump into Lord Vader. He has a tendency to remember that sort of thing.

But Dormé sure took care of her. Heh heh!

--MissPadme

9. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    What fun! I enjoyed every moment of this post. Here were my laugh-out-loud moments:

Ivo?s charming irony in the face of Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi: ?My, how neutral a tone you use. I really must learn to do that some time. But, alas, I am not here to be inspired by your public persona.?

The head-on attack by the ?tin man:? ?Well, good evening to you too, Elica. But tell me, is that a wine stain on your dress or did you just forget to clean up after your last business transaction??

Padmé?s gradual understanding of this insult:

?Padmé was repeating under her breath, ?business transaction?business transaction?? Anakin knew that she was repeating what her miniature translator had told her that Korva had said. He waited for her to put it all together.

?Business transaction?Oh my.? Padmé looked at Anakin and gasped out, ?Did he just call that woman a whor...?

?Yes, I think he did,? Anakin interrupted, smirking slightly.

And this salvo from the ample Elica: ?She hides behind a Jhedae and another vasgeagha [Padmé!] with the figure of a thirteen-year old boy??

ROTFL! I think there are a lot of fan boys out there who would beg to differ?

The Lady Lianna?s delightful lack of hyperbole: That rutting kossa, I?m going to kill her?

With that thought, Lianna Arzhan reached for the needle-like dagger that Kalinadian Noblewomen had traditionally carried hidden in their dresses over their left hips?.

All in all, Elica?s march into battle was wonderfully done! To quote Korva, ?Oh, good show!?

With a right hook that would warm the heart of any Kalinadian warrior, and a noble gesture toward an innocent young man, Dormé truly has secured her place among the Kalinadians.

Bravo! I'll be sorry to see this story end.

10. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Just wanted to thank those who nominated this work for the summer fan fic awards.

Now, just get out and vote....

11. Sophronia

Sophronia Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2004
    [face_hypnotized] [face_hypnotized] [face_hypnotized] [face_hypnotized]

Format has changed... must get reoriented...

Okay... I enjoyed the post and liked the marching pace of the writing as Elica crossed the room. I must say my favorite reaction was that of Lianna, who not only thought " That rutting kossa, I?m going to kill her? ", but then took direct action to accomplish that very thing. And some praise is due, I suppose, to Ge-Harza for knowing his wife so well.

Dormé's punch [face_beatup] (I just can't see her as the slapping sort) of Elica was a perfect response.

Also glad that Fernanil was not tainted by his sister's behavior.

Are you looking for vignette ideas? :D

I would love to see the six day meeting and courtship of Lianna and Jedi Ge-Harza.

Can't wait to see how you bring this to a close.

12. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Hi!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner.

I've been mulling a thought for some time now, after reading your description of the events occuring at the Ball, and the attitude of the Kalinadian nobility strongly reminded me of the Scottish clan system.

1. the naming system: "Ge-Harza Ar/zhan" reminds me a lot of something like "Tearlach mac Seamus" (Charles son of James, aka Bonnie Prince Charlie).

2. the fact that adressing one formally is viewed as disrespect: in the clan system, where everyone is more or less considered as forming part of a family ("clan" means "children" in Gaelic), to attach the surname - or its equivalent - would seem overly fomal. They would then use adjectives like "reidh", pronounced a bit like "roy", like for Rob "Roy" MacGregor, to distinguish them, like for Ivo "The Brave".

3. the acceptance of Fernanil as being a member of Ivo's "clan": in clanic Scotland, people often offered their oath of alliegance to the most powerful laird, regardless of their own surname, leading, for example, a MacKenzie to adopt the Campbell tartan.

4. the view of Dormé as an "outsider": Ivo taking a Naboo as a wife would then be viewed with the same prejudiced scorn as a Scot nobleman taking an English lady as a wife. In Scotland, the term "Sassenach" (Saxon), has forever been used to describe the unholy English, or even, for that matter, the Lowlanders as opposed to the Highlanders.

5. the simple detail about Liana's dagger: Scots (and Celts at large) always revered women (in Scot law a woman couldn't be wed without her consent - contrary to Salic custom), and thus always treated them on a somewhat more equal footing than their southern counterparts. There is the fact, too, that in Celt legends, women were not afraid to take up arms to avenge their own, like the famous Queen Boadicea.

That's it for now.

Did I mention I loved the post? Well, I did.

MTFBWY,

Lauré :)

13. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I love how the wench was dealt with. And the insults- Perfect!

14. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    NOW hear this.....

Replies and a New post tonight!!!!!

This post Chapter 32 "Farewells" is the last post of the Body of this work. IT WILL BE FOLLOWED WITHIN THE NEXT FEW DAYS BY AN EPILOGUE.

Therefore, SL&B won't really be over until the Epilogue is published!

15. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    As promised, replies to be followed by the last post of the body of the story. To be followed as by an epilogue....

qingauk--- Thank you, though I am a bit confused by the wroding of your reply. Probably just lingering damage from walking to the Swan boats in the Public Garden from Post Office square in Boston, in 90+ degree heat yesterday. As to the future of Ivo...you'll see more of it.

NinjaSkywalker--- Again, welcome back. Thank you for your kind words. The Kalinadians are a culutre that revolves around personal attcahments and the defense of friends and family from outside threats. So, the actions of Ivo and Dorme's friends came as second nature.

Arriss--- First, Thank you so much for your kind words. Now for specific points:

1) No, Dorme did not slap Elica, she decked her. [face_beatup]

2) Bail Organa's view on the war.... All I can do is direct you to the AOTC novelization and the scene in Palpatine's office when Kenobi is captured. Bail and the Gran Senator from Malastre have a discussion over who can suggest use of the clones. Bail is clearly a pragmatist in that conversation and wants the Army used given that the commerce guilds are preparing for war. He may not be pro-Imperial, but he's no pacifist either. I view him as 'Scoop' Jacksonesque or similar to the Pro-Union Democrats of the Northern South during the Civil War in the U.S. (still officially, the War of the Rebellion or the Southern Rebellion).

3) Elica...Classless, yes and no. You can't avoid factoring in Ethnocentrism and well hidden but real hurt that Ivo would chose a vasgeagha (meaning 'female outsider' [i.e. non-Kalinadian])over her, despite her betrayal.

MissPadme--- Yes, you have a point. ;)

Geo3--- As always, you raise many points, but I'd like to focus on one:

With a right hook that would warm the heart of any Kalinadian warrior, and a noble gesture toward an innocent young man, Dormé truly has secured her place among the Kalinadians.

This is only partily true. On paper, it should be absolutely and totally true, but there is a very real feeling among some nobles that as an outsider, she can never quite be one of them. Of course, among the friends and those who actually believe in the ideals of the culture, her place is sealed. She will still have some rough going, but we do kno wthat she is still around and well thought of 22 years later in TAF.

That noble gesture is also the start of her existence in the psyche of the Kalinadian as Dorme the Merciful. But that is another story....

Sophronia--- Not too dizzy I hope...

Yes, the marching pace was a deliberate affectation in the writing, as was the reactions of the various individuals. Elica attacks direct and is met with a spoiling attack (Anselian), a long-term, hard hitting mobile defense (Korva), and then a counter-attack by Dorme, where the attack is broken.

You know, that vignette idea could be very interesting......

laurethiel1138--- Interesting points, but not my direct source matterial. However, there are lots of similarities.

I did want to make two points:

1) The outsider issue has less to do with a hatred of the outsider than it has to do with Kalinadian thought and conviction of their own superiority.

2)Something that others have raised: Lianna stood ready to kill Elica. She would have done it. The point here is that Kalinadian women are not to be trifled with....though Ge-Harza's unexpected skills as a pickpocket clearly helped. ;)

PadawanKitara--- Thank you and so glad that you enjoyed.

New post is next in line....

16. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    And now, the new post

Chapter 32 Farewells

Naboo Senatorial Residence, 1012 hrs, four days after the Protector?s Ball

Despite Padmé?s protestations, Dormé continued to pack her friend?s suitcases.

It?s the least that I can do. Anyway, it?s probably the last service that I?ll be able to perform for her personally before my resignation takes effect.

Her resignation had been an act that she regretted, but it seemed appropriate. The government at home would likely not approve of her continued service in its Senator?s household when she could be viewed as the agent of a foreign power. When she?d told Ivo, he?d actually been somewhat distraught that he had harmed her in some way. It had taken more than a few minutes to convince him that she did not view her decision on this score as any significant harm or hardship. After all, change was necessary at times.

As she latched the last valise, the door from the fresher hissed open. Dormé turned and looked at her friend. Padmé smiled at her. ?You know that you didn?t have to do any of this.?

Dormé smiled in return. ?I know Padmé, I know.?

?So, where is my Jedi Protector?? Padmé asked in a tone that was a little too silly and school-girlish.

Dormé?s began to smirk as she replied, ?He?s in the music room with Ivo.?

Padmé frowned slightly. Carefully, quietly, she asked, ?Any news about when, or if, Ivo will take his company and rejoin his Regiment??

?Not yet,? Dormé?s voice sounded dead even to her own ears.

?Well, once you?re term is up have you decided what you?ll do?? Padmé asked, clearly trying both to change the subject and not to say the ?r? word.

?I?m to premiere my concerto at the Summer Opera Festival on Kalinda in two months. After that, I?ll stay there for a brief time, maybe compose a little or play tourist. Then back to Naboo to help plan a royal wedding?my own.?

?Why don?t you and Ivo just run off and get married in a little ceremony with only as many witnesses as necessary?? Padmé suggested, snickering slightly. ?It would prevent any amount of heartache for both of you.?

Dormé smiled a slightly crooked smile. ?Protocol, duty and status all demand full and probably quite elaborate ceremony.?

?Yes, protocol and duty do have some weight, but with the war, don?t you worry?? Padmé?s voice faded into silence.

Dormé looked at her friend and found nothing at all that she could say to her. Instead, she simply stepped forward and pulled Padmé Naberrie, the Senator Amidala into a crushing embrace. Both friends were simply trying to ignore both the unsettling anxiety that was creeping into their lives and the fact of the war - at least for the length of the hug.

Dormé whispered, ?We?d better get down to the Music room, I?m sure that they?re waiting less than patiently.

---------------------------

The Naboo Senatorial Residence, The Music Room, 1014 hrs.

?I understand what your saying, Ivo, but...?

?No, Anakin, I?m not really sure that you do,? Ivo interrupted, exasperated.

The look on Anakin?s face was a combination of confusion, hurt and annoyance. Anakin Skywalker, you can be so transparent at times, trying to play dumb only makes you look conspiratorial.

?Well, then Ivo,? Anakin began, ?why don?t you speak more clearly.?

Ivo laughed - loudly.

?What?!?? Anakin demanded.

?I?m sorry,? Ivo gasped, ?but, I should have realized that you?d prefer direct talk to subtle conversation. What I?m trying to say is that you?re approaching a time when you?re going to have to make choices, Anakin.?

Anakin stared intently at him. ?Choices about what??

Ivo sighed. He?s not stupid, so this has got to be deliberate?oh, well. ?Choices about your life and where it?s going, Anakin. You have to decided what you want and what you don?t want.?

Anakin was silent during Ivo?s pause, for the first time in the conversation. Taking a deep breath, Ivo directly broached the subject that he?d been dancing around. ?You have to dec

17. Sophronia

Apr 4, 2004
    Very nice.

Of course Ivo becomes frustrated with Anakin's lack of insight. After all, the relationship between Anakin and Padmé is almost a non-issue to him as all Anakin needs to do is choose between her and the Jedi with whom he does not really fit anyway. How different your pre-se-quel would have been if Anakin could only decide as a Kalinadian.

I enjoyed the post and have thoroughly enjoyed the story. Hard to believe it is almost over and I am looking forward to your epilogue.

18. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Confused you were or sunstroke? :) I just did not realize this great story was coming to and end so quickly. I thought we were going to a wedding and then he would reflect back to where I recall it started. Did it not start post clone wars without Dorme and he was thinking back on all this? Maybe I am the one who is confused or it was a previous fic you wrote. Somehow that is what I recall. Get my facts straight oh legal one!! Remind me :)
    I too am overheated in this tropical land. If this heat and humidity do not change soon, I will be packing for Greenland..which we know is truly not green at all!

I do like how you dealt with Anakin's inability to share his feelings for fear.. of whatever.. interesting ..his fear of so many things.. " I sense much fear in you". I have truly enjoyed this world of yours and look forward to an extension of it. I do wish Anakin had taken Ivo up on his offer!! Now there is an alternative universe to explore.. Anakin leaving the Jedi, joining Ivo and having Padme and family.. on to new adventures.. no DV in that universe and Palps fails big time.

19. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I can't believe it's coming to an end. ?Farewells? ? the title is very sad for a devoted and long-time reader.

A nice long summer power outage yesterday afternoon gave me a while to reflect on this story. Really, now that it's (nearly) done, I think it's time to read it all over again. There are so many things to enjoy, not least, the marvelously detailed picture you have painted of Kalindian culture.

Ivo and his world really, truly feel like canon to me.

Dormé?s resignation from service on Naboo was inevitable, I think. I can?t imagine her being the future Protector?s wife while still being a handmaiden to a politician on another planet! Nope, I don?t think that would work? she made her choice between the two when she chose Ivo.

I?m glad to hear that her concerto is going to be performed in public.

?Why don?t you and Ivo just run off and get married in a little ceremony with only as many witnesses as necessary?? Padmé suggested, snickering slightly. ?It would prevent any amount of heartache for both of you.?

Dormé smiled a slightly crooked smile. ?Protocol, duty and status all demand full and probably quite elaborate ceremony.?

There?s quite a bit of irony in this exchange, isn?t there? Protocol, duty, and status ? all the things that Padmé will throw away in her marriage, Dormé is embracing.

I loved the indications of the bonds of duty and friendship between Ivo and Anakin:

?just say the word and you?ll have a Baronetcy and be flying fighters for the Commonwealth Star Fleet inside thirty-six hours.?

...he knows that he holds my honor and that I hold his. He knows that I am serious. He understands the bonds of duty that we hold to each other.

...In later years, Ivo would reflect that these bonds weighed heavier on him than any chain could have, but he also knew that he would gleefully have taken them up again. These bonds of friendship were sacred. Sanctity did not always equate with ease.

This is a great lead-in to your earlier story, ?To Absent Friends,? in which, if I recall correctly, twenty years later, Ivo breaks these bonds for the sake of a young woman he has only just met named Leia Organa...

Actually, maybe you could give the url for that story? It?s time to re-read it...

Wonderful job, my friend. I look forward to the epilogue.

20. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    My Beta's wish is my command....

"To Absent Friends" is most easily found, here

FYI, the story takes place 22 years after SL&B, about two days prior to the destruction of Alderaan. It involves an interesting and world-shaking (on a personal level) meeting between a man named Ivo Arzhan and the daughter of 'absent friends.'

N.B. I hope to have the epilogue up on Thursday at some point.

21. MissPadme

Jul 9, 1998
    Whew, finally coming to an end around here!

Too bad Anakin didn't take Ivo's advice to the letter. But that's just him, isn't it? Skywalkers never listen ;)! You can however see the strength of his friendship with Ivo, one we already know survives the worst. So, are you going to write a post-ROTS story where Vader and Ivo meet up again?

--MissPadme

22. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I can't believe it's over (well almost).

23. Sophronia

Apr 4, 2004
    No Epilogue, I pray you-- for your [fanfic] needs no excuse.

With apologies to The Bard. Actually I was just checking to see if the final bit was up yet...

;)

24. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    Just a note to any lurking readers that you still have time, as the Epilogue hasn't gotten back from my Beta yet....

So, post, it's almost your last chance!

(on SL&B, anyway.)

25. GunraysLawyer

May 23, 2003
    I kno wthat we're on the eve of a holiday weekend here in the States, but I really do want to get this posted.

N.B.: I will be doing joint replies/wrap ups For Chapter 32 and The Epilogue as they are very interconnected.

As for when Ivo will return, assuming that my Beta will continue to put up with me, I think that the next will be a four or five post story called "Succession" and then I will likely start "The Great Game," another Epic set 2.5 years after ROTJ.

Without further verbiage: The Epilogue

Epilogue

Aboard I.S.S./C.W.S. Thunderer, Y.A. 2121, Twenty-two years after the Battle of Geonosis

Ivo sat behind his desk. In one hand he held a framed holostill. The other rested on the desk next to a partially filled whiskey tumbler. Korva had left a few minutes before to sway his way back to his cabin, leaving Ivo to half-drunkenly mull over his experiences of the last few hours.

Glancing down at the holostill, Ivo focused on the crookedly smiling, blue-eyed Jedi Padawan sandwiched between Kalinadian Nobles. Now, the Padawan was a broken man, but an Imperial Noble: Anakin Skywalker, the Lord Darth Vader.

What went wrong, Anakin? How did it all go so wrong?

?There?s one hell of a question,? Ivo whispered to himself. Briefly, he reflected that talking to himself might not be the best of signs. Worse, he had no clear or concise answer to his own question. The 18-year old whiskey had not really helped the situation.

The child had made it all the more complicated. For nearly twenty-years, he?d searched for the child of the tall, fair Jedi padawan and the petite brunette Naboo Noblewoman and Senator. Totally unexpectedly, he?d found her, hidden in very nearly plain sight.

She was young, intelligent, had her father?s passion and her mother?s idealism. She was also a rebel and a traitor to the Empire. This girl, this Leia Organa, had spent nearly four hours playing verbal games with him in a conversation almost too pleasant to be called an interrogation. She?d held back any information as doggedly as she had under her initial interrogation on Devastator. Then she?d told him everything he wanted to know about the Rebellion?s secret base and it?s hopes to recruit a surviving Jedi. She?d traded that information for the sketchiest of sanitized details of a long lost family?of a long lost father? a father whom she was never even allowed to ask about.

And then she had been despondent during that long walk back to her cell on the Death Star.

Then, I lied to Anakin, or rather, I omitted tidbits that he might have found interesting to say the least?I betrayed the Lord Vader?s trust. Why now? I killed five Jedi and maimed another for him?I didn?t try to move against Palpatine when I became certain that he was responsible for my father?s death, because I didn?t want to have to kill Anakin?I spent years, thousands of credits and tens of lives searching for his child?So, why did I betray him now, for this girl? And why does every one of my instincts scream out that I did the right thing?

Ivo reached forward, grabbed the glass. ?Well, it is too late for sipping,? he said to himself, and drained it.

He set down the glass. Then he put the holostill down on his desk. I just wish this all made more sense. Then again, nothing has really made all that much sense since Anakin?s arrival at Dunlindia that night?the night Korva and I buried Padmé. But, that?s enough maudlin thoughts for this night.

Rising from his seat, Ivo found himself grasping the edge of his desk, and thanking the Gods that it was a very short walk to his fresher and bed. As he turned toward the door to his sleeping cabin, he stopped and stared for a moment at the oil portrait of his wife and children hanging across from his desk. He smiled.

Dormé will help me make sense of all this?She?s always known me better than I know myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.