main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sound editing programs

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ultimateguy, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultimateguy

ultimateguy Jedi Master star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    I've been playing around with sounds in my fanfilm and I can't seem to get the right feel in Adobe Premiere. You guys have made films, right? What program do you think is the best and why? I'm mainly doing lightsaber sounds.

2. alphacentauri

alphacentauri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I thinks this is a good topic. I don't know wat are the capacity of premiere in terms of sounds. The mixer seems to be pretty limited. Also (i think) if I want to use an other program to edit the ound, There is an issue of synch.

Please guys. Let us know what are yours experience with sound in fan film/

3. ultimateguy

ultimateguy Jedi Master star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    Yea, what he said.

4. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    for just editing sounds i use Sonic Foundry Sound Forge.

5. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    I'm using Vegas Audio and Sound Forge for our radio drama. If anyone's interested in coming aboard, we could use some additional sound designers and mixers.

Keith

6. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Remember there is a difference between sound processing and sound editing.

Processing is enhancing a particular sound, adusting it's EQ, adding effects like reverb, flange, etc. noise elimination... you get the idea.

Editing is placing the sound into your film, syncing it to the video, adjusting the levels in relation to othersounds in the complete mix.
    Adding saber sounds to match action, for example, is an editing process.

So ... to answer your question...
    I use SoundForge XP (Now Studio 6) for processing and then do my final editing and syncing in Media Studio Pro (basically the same thing as your Premiere).

Have fun.

7. alphacentauri

alphacentauri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    I'm also using Sonic but not for my movies.
    For example the light saber sound must match the movement in the movie. So you must be able to see the movie frames and then synch it with the sound.
    Maybee the best will be to edit the sound in premier, export it uncompress & then process it in Sonic! I will try that!

8. SamS

SamS Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    Yeah, from what I've experimented with, I use SoundForge to clean up sound, then use Acid Pro for scoring and lining up sound (you can import avi and mov files and view them as you work the sound). With that I can add pans and fades with envelopes. I haven't tried it yet, but Acid Pro 4 has surround sound panning.

Then I export the sound as wave and bring it back into Premiere. From what me and my co-worker have discovered, don't import mp3's into Premiere; the sound pops and skips. At least with our computers anyway.

9. Davej

Davej Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2002
    If you want to mix, I recommend you ProTools. You can import movies, and there's free version available from digidesign. ProTools is a professional product (in it's full version). If you want to add fx and stuffs on your sounds, sound forge is one of the best choice with Wavelab,cause there're more plug-ins, and it's easier than PT. ProTools is designed for Mac, but it works also for pc, but with less performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.