main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Source material for fanfilms

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by HanJones, Sep 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    I was just thinking, Star Wars comics might be a pretty good source material for fanfilms. You already have the story and storyboards for that matter. All you really need to do is write the screenplay based upon it. The X-Wing comics by Darkhorse written by Stackpole come to mind as being prime material to adapt. Of course, someone could always go back and revisit Baron Tagge and The Wheel from the Marvel days, too.

2. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    I was just thinking, Star Wars comics might be a pretty good source material for fanfilms.

My fanfilm was started by a friend. He made it of an Exar Kun comic. We changed the names, and the rest of the story so much since then that it's evolved into a completely different story.

That's how we came to the fanfilm we are working on.

3. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I was just thinking, Star Wars comics might be a pretty good source material for fanfilms. You already have the story and storyboards for that matter. All you really need to do is write the screenplay based upon it. The X-Wing comics by Darkhorse written by Stackpole come to mind as being prime material to adapt. Of course, someone could always go back and revisit Baron Tagge and The Wheel from the Marvel days, too.

And then, we could always get sued by the Lucas Empire, since we're no longer making derivative works but flat-out pirating stories and images. A court could easily be convinced that the fan film posed a threat to sales of the work from which it originated and would shut it down, and perhaps all of fanfilms.com with it.

Sounds sweet. [face_plain]

In all honesty though, this idea has come up before (along with the idea of doing the Thrawn trilogy as fan films), and though what I said might sound harsh, that's the harsh reality of it. While going with the idea would be cool -- and I won't deny it's always been tempting -- the fact is that it becomes undeniably intellectual theft, and we could get the entire hobby in it deep if we bring that level of negative attention.

Let's just stick to original storylines.

M. Scott

4. Fall-on-Jin

Fall-on-Jin Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2001
    Have any of you even heard of "Bounty Trail?"

Revise your Fanfilm knowledge, you must.

5. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Are you implying that Bounty Trail was based off a comic?

If so, it wasn't. It used the stylistic device of comic book panels to move the story forward in certain places, and flowed like a comic book, but it was an original story that Justin Dix made up.

The comic book style, I'm all for. It's not my bag (didn't like it in Hulk either), but more power to ya. Using ACTUAL comics is not okay.

M. Scott

6. Fall-on-Jin

Fall-on-Jin Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 22, 2001
    In that case, my apologies. It is I who needs to touch up on my fanfilming skills.

7. Decapitated-Jango

Decapitated-Jango Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    All that art was original. Justin was very ingenius to have the story to take place in the imagination of a fan reading a comic book, if you ask me.

Just don't point fingers unless you really know the facts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.