main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Source Requested! Pic's Lightsaber Origin

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JaySkywalker01, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaySkywalker01

JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2005
    Our favorite little Sithspawn, Picaroon C. Boodle, AKA Pic, utilized a shoto lightsaber that was colored orange in his memorable appearance in the game Star Wars: Jedi Knight and the corresponding literature to the same adventure.

According to the Wook:
    "...although after he and Gorc captured Jedi Master Qu Rahn, Pic took one of the lightsabers he had carried;[1] an orange-bladed weapon[3] which had once belonged to former Grand Master Yoda. He adopted a style of combat to make up for his lack of height, jumping high into the air to stab at enemies' faces and throats, as well as making many wild swings with his lightsaber."

and:

"Kyle did not realize at the time that the tiny darksider carried a weapon which had once belonged to Master Yoda. Later, after realizing the importance of the saber, Luke Skywalker sent a group of Jedi to retrieve the lightsaber, though it was unknown if they succeeded; the weapon and Pic's body could have stayed intact on the ship, or someone else might have taken it."

This came as news to me, as I don't recall this being mentioned in the novels. Information does seep away with time after reading a book, and I may have just forgotten. But I can't help but wonder why Yoda would bother giving Rahn a lightsaber that he could not use, how Yoda would have smuggled it to Dagobah and why did he have an orange blade? From what we've seen, those apparently weren't in use during Yoda's time in the Jedi Order.

I have not read the Dark Forces Saga, so that might be where this comes from. If it is definitely canon, then I would like to see at least some artwork featuring Yoda with an orange blade. Maybe he used it when he battled those Dark Jedi. A picture in Jedi vs. Sith would have been a great opportunity to showcase a different colored blade.

And if Luke Skywalker sent a search party for it, maybe it would be interesting to have an adventure where some young Jedi actually go looking for it and find that it fell into the hands of some kind of Dark Side cult or something of that nature. Yes, that was already done somewhat in JJK with Kenobi's Blade, but with a more mature canon I'm sure it could make for a better story now.

2. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    - The Imperial Ewok

3. JaySkywalker01

Oct 25, 2005
    Yeah I caught that much...I guess I was just wanting more of a backstory on the saber itself and why Yoda had it, why Rahn got it...etc.

4. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Yoda used a yellow lightsaber in Tales: Force Fiction, which is what Abel was referencing IIRC.

It's probably just an old lightsaber of Yoda's that he replaced with the green one when "The Lucas" told the Jedi that their sabers must only be green or blue. ;) :p

5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Yoda's not the only Jedi with multiple sabers. I kind of like the idea of Jedi, in their down time, just crafting lightsabers for the meditative focus.

6. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Yeah, and Yoda apparently made a bunch of them.

Speaking of Rahn, I'd actually rather like to see him used/referenced a bit more. I can't, off the top of my head, think if there are any references to him outside the Dark Forces material, which is too bad; he's a very cool character, and there are quite a number of open questions about him. [face_thinking]

- Keralys

7. Vrook_Lamar

Vrook_Lamar Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2008
    When you live for 900 years, it's no surprise that you'd wake up one day bored and think "I'll make a new lightsaber today and make it orange, waheee!!!"

8. JaySkywalker01

Oct 25, 2005
    "Right after Mace changes my diaper!! WHOOO!"

Sorry...

I guess I am just a stickler for meticulous details on things that are just, well, details. I don't see how Yoda would have managed to have a stock of lightsabers with him on Dagobah, based on what we saw in ROTS. And even if he somehow made it while he was there (Out of trees and...rocks) why would he give Rahn a lightsaber he couldn't even use? I'm sorry maybe this is something I just shouldn't worry about....

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yoda gave Rahn one of his spares because, while short, it was better than nothing. And nothing was what Rahn had, since he'd locked his lightsaber away in WeeGee to be given to Kyle. Both the fact that Rahn had gotten that saber from Yoda, and that Pic took it, were established in Dark Forces: Rebel Agent, the novella; Abel's reference wasn't new continuity.

10. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Well, I've seen it more like, "This pretty orange crystal isn't doing anyone any good sitting in my dresser drawer."

11. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Somehow I am annoyed with the idea that Pic had Yoda's lightsaber he annoyed the **** out of me in jedi Knight to not as much as his insaneness Boc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.