main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

South Park: Best Political Satire of Our Time?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JediMark127, Sep 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMark127

JediMark127 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2000
    Not only is South Park a funny show but it is also a good satire of what is going on.

For example, Kenny's family is poor and are trying to have another baby. Cartman starts saying that they are already on welfare and that all they are doing is bringing another child into an already overcrowded poor population.

They also do a lot regarding censorship and there are countless other things that they satirize.

2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    South Park *ROCKS*!! :)

3. JediMark127

Aug 20, 2000
    Thats what I'm saying.

4. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Uh, no.

Unless political satire = fart jokes and toliet humor these days. [face_plain]

(Wonders if "Bevis & Butthead" was witty social-commentary...) **sigh** [face_plain]

5. JediMark127

Aug 20, 2000
    If you would take the time to sit down and watch it you would see that along with the toilet humor we see a lot of what is going on in our society.

6. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Don't get me wrong...I LIKE South Park and thought the movie did have some sharp takes on censorship. But, overall, it is more toliet humor than SATIRE, and there are many better examples of political satire these days, including a number of stand-up comedians, like George Carlin, or even the deceased Bill Hicks.

7. padluv

padluv Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    South Park is most definitely a social satire whose vehicle is potty humor....therein lies the brilliance...

South Park is the most creative and funny show which still has a 'message' in years, imho. All hail SP!

"ummm, drugs are bad, mmmkay?"

"Screw you guys, i'm goin' home!"

:)

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well said, padluv

9. padluv

padluv Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    thanks princess... ;) i love South Park...when it first came on i was living abroad in scotland, so couldn't see the first shows. my bro would call me from the states saying it was the funniest and wittiest thing he'd ever seen. he taped them all for me. Those 2 guys are really twisted, but really brilliant!

"NO! KITTY! NOOOO! KITTY! That's my pie!"

10. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    The movie is definitely an incredible piece of work from this angle. Almost embarassing, really, how well that flick takes censorship down a notch. :D

Rick McCallum loves you!

11. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    South Park, although at times very crude, is an extremely well written show, which I defidentally feel can make for a very unique piece of political satire.

Ironically, the episodes of South Park which revolve around some sort of political theme or current event are usually much more entertaining than those which resort solely to the lowbrow humor, which the majority of Americans feel is the only driving force of the show.

I can understand it if you do not like, or are occasionally offended by the show, (personally, I don't even watch any episode which involves their interpretation of Jesus) but please give it the credit that it deserves.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    instant poster, gust add wind!

12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I loved the movie, too...

Blame Canada, Blame Canada!! :)

13. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    First off, posts such as "South Park Rocks!" will get discussion nowhere here save a general fan club/gushing club. That's not what this board is intended for, so please be kind and stick more to discussion.

South Park is a great political cartoon. It makes fun of just about anything; although I don't think a lot of the political aspect is supposed to be seen as more political as it is to be seen as humorous. Some people who view the show may not understand everything politically, but I guarantee you, they'll almost always laugh at what's going on.

Then again, you also must understand that the show can be very childish and stupid at some times, almost to the point of being not funny an irritating. Personally, I find that the movie wasn't funny whereas about half of the shows are and half of them are just the same stereotypical South Park gimmicks.

14. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Also, they have a low production--value which makes the time to produce an episode considerably less than say, The Simpsons. That means they can address topics which still have some relevance and not seem outdated.

If I remember correctly, they had an Osama Bin-Laden episode out by Novemeber, which coincidentally, was the funniest show they ever did. (IMO)

15. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002
    Looks like I'll have to be the voice of dissent here.

Everything about SOUTHPARK is awful to me.
    The quality of the animation stinks. We know they don't care about it, because they really don't really care about anything. The voices are terrible, and so is the delivery. They certainly aren't gifted as vocal talent. (The performing talent on the
    Simpson's is first-rate, people like Harry Shearer.) I regard the humor as predictable coming from a couple of Generation X nerds. The duo that created that show have got to be the luckiest humans that ever lived. They were fortunate they got a show at a time when standards for just about anything have virtually collapsed. (Witness E's giving a show to that mental giant and gorgeous babe, Anna Nicole Smith.)

So they aren't talented animators or visual artists, and the voices stink, and the humor is primarily potty humor. (rolls eyes) I think once when I was watching the show I almost smiled.

I suffered through the show where they showcased Lucas and Spielberg wanting to re-release Raiders. Boy, that was a laugh riot.
    I thought to myself, is this IT? Nowadays if you are crude, rude, malicious and gross, this passes as talent and social commentary.
    (Witness: Eminem.)

I've seen the show maybe 3 or 4 times and threw up my hands. Whatever. As Kurt Vonnegut would say...and so it goes...

16. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Jock, whilst I can see that your dislike of the show runs deep, I think you need to take the show for what it is. Comments like yours are such that the show - unfortunately - makes a mockery of your opinion! Too bad. As for it being a great political satire, I'm not entirely sure. It certainly has its merits, but the main goal is to mock politicians, rather than attack them at a more intellectual and witty level. The scripts are clever at times, but it doesn't flow as quickly as other political satires out there... Despite this, it's still damned funny!

17. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    South Park kicks ass! I love Towelie! "Don`t forget to bring a towel."

18. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    A list of topics that it satarizes (off the top of my head)

War
    Manufactured Pop Groups
    Political Correctness
    The last American election
    Corporate Giants (Starbucks)
    Natural Medicine
    Eco-Groups

19. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    While its still entertaining I dont think that South Park is even close to as good as it was in its first two seasons. Another reason why I dont like it as much is the lack of original episodes. I mean, what exactly does Comedy Central consider a season ? Four episodes ? If thats the case then SP is in its tenth or eleventh season in less than five years according to my calculations. And the episodes shouldnt be that hard to make conidering the plots are paper thin and completely nonsensical, the production value is just about zero and there are only two or three people providing the voices.

As far as Im concerned South Park peaked with the movie, which was great. Its been a slow downhill plunge ever since, IMO.

20. Glockenspiel

Glockenspiel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2002
    To quote a friend, "You can learn all of life's most many valuable lessons through South Park"

21. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    if you have watched some of the more recent episodes then there are alot of satirical elements.

Take the "Sea People" episode, where they creat a civilization in a fish tank. one side worships Cartman the other Tweek. en the end they end up bombing each other to death (can anyone say Isreal/Palastine?)

22. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    it definately has a strong satirical edge to it, along with crudity, but they, thats often what makes satire great, look at Juvenal, half his stuff is crazy attacks on females, but the other half is pretty damm good political satire on ROman imperial politics.....

23. McNerf-Burger

McNerf-Burger Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 13, 2000
    While it can occasionaly be humorous, it is so distasteful and crude that the negative far outweighs any good, in my opinion. I prefer shows that can be satirical in a clever way but not be immature, offensive, crude, tastless, and disgusting.

24. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    South Park still rocks.I`m a loyal fan!

25. B4DaDrkX

B4DaDrkX Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2002
    While it can occasionaly be humorous, it is so distasteful and crude that the negative far outweighs any good, in my opinion. I prefer shows that can be satirical in a clever way but not be immature, offensive, crude, tastless, and disgusting.

Then, you came to the wrong place! :p

[Eat Snacky Smores!]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.