South East Southeast FanForce Con

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by Allie Fox, Nov 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vswader Jedi Youngling

star 1
    let's keep the ideas rolling in. memorial day is monday, may 26th. the entire weekend would include friday the 23rd thru the 26th. i feel the next question should be (as previously noted)....do we all meet at jabba's palace to enjoy the festivities on saturday or sunday, or both(if the memorial day weekend plan works best)??? what are everyone else's thoughts??? which would be more appreciated - a park setting or a convention hall setting? activities??? just some thoughts....please respond.
  2. Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    I have been haggling with the Marriott people in an effort to get room rates lowered for our group to come in during the third or fourth weekend in May. That's still a work in progress but I'd like to know who would be willing to confirm to a conference/meeting in Atlanta. If I had a number to work with it would be alot easier(for me). I may be able to get rooms as low as $70 a night(compared with the regular $90 rate). How much are you willing to pay for a room?

I've also attempted to contact the Off-Season staff at Six Flags. That has been a little bit tougher as they are hard to reach.

My original plan(roughed out here) was to simply meet as a group, have lunch and possibly dinner together and spend the day at Six Flags or other amusement park(Disney's SW Weekends would really be the perfect time). It wouldn't be more than two nights at the most. FanForcers could meet Friday evening at the designated Hotel for a "mixer." The next morning we head to the park at our own pace. Meet at the park for lunch(possibly catered) and informal meeting, then return to the park to enjoy the rest of the day at our own pace. What we do after the lunch meeting is up to the individual. If there are enough people staying a second night we could plan a breakfast meeting or something like that. . .

I see it being more like a family reunion rather than a formal "convention."
  3. Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    Just a reminder to keep the idea fresh on everyone's mind. If you don't mind discussing the idea with the members of your groups and post ideas here.

Thanks!
  4. tionnesharp Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Allie Fox, good luck with organizing this. You're a trooper. But if this thing is the same weekend or near the Ad Con, then I'll have to bow out. Warwick Davis and others I really admire will be there. You guys have fun! Mr. Freeze...maybe I'll see you in Knoxville!
  5. Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    It should be a couple of weeks before Adventure Con. I'm expecting a call from Six Flags this week regarding their corporate picnic area and catering.

I'd like to check out Ad Con myself. My sister lives in Knoxville. Maybe I can spend the weekend with her and check out the con(not to mention meet the Knoxville FanForcers). :D
  6. tionnesharp Jedi Youngling

star 1
    OK, Allie. You work this out, I'll try and join you. I'm only 4 hours away. And I haven't been to an amusement park for....well, a long time. If it all works out, I'll try and bring some fellow fans with me. Good luck!

edit...hey, where'e sis live? PM me, we should get together the w/e of the Ad/Con...you really should see it!
  7. Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling

star 3
    AllieFox, what weekend are you thinking of? Minacia presented it to the Hothlanta Rebels that Memorial Day weekend was being considered. I want to give some constructive feedback from what was discussed at our meeting this past Saturday. First, many of us locally are planning to head to Star Wars Weekends in May. So that tightens money up for another theme park. Second, having it Memorial Day conflicts with many of us because many have family plans (since Labor Day is taken up with Dragoncon). Third, having it at a theme park like this takes away the chance for everyone to get to know each other. People will naturally stick to those that they already know. Finally, many were interested in doing this either at DragonCon or afterwards.

Minacia asked everyone to come here from the group and post our thoughts. I'm just giving some feedback that I heard and also how I felt. While I would like to meet everyone in the SouthEast, I'm not 100% convinced that Six Flags in May is the way to go. J
  8. stacey113 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I have to agree with Jace. My people try to plan one "big" outing a year and getting to Atlanta twice in one year will be prohibitive, as we are planning a large presense at DragonCon. I think there will be plenty of opportunity to have a get together at Dragon. Just my 2 cents.
  9. TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I agree with Jace and Stacey. DragonCon is a no-brainer to me. It's already the biggest, baddest, most fun concentrated party one can find, it's on a holiday weekend, with great breakout sessions, fan films, Trader Vic's, and Atlanta group pours their heart and soul into it to make it a blast. Nuff said.

However, if you have the Star Wars jones - I have an idea that takes no work on any of our parts -

Everyone is welcome to visit Greensboro NC (1 hour west of Raleigh) for the Greensboro Toy Show on April 19 and 20.

There will be 10 SW celebrities there. The CO and XO from the Carolina Garrison of the 501st are puttting it on. No work has to be done on our part - just get a hotel room and show up and have a blast and get tons of autographs.

It's Easter weekend - April 19 and 20.

Heck, I'll be there running a Decipher Star Wars CCG tourney.

Join us on April 19th & 20th for the biggest Star Wars event that North Carolina has ever seen. An all star gala show To be held at the Greensboro Coliseum.

There will be 450 tables of Antique &
    Collectibles Toys, Action figures, Movie Prop Replicas, Statues, Comic Books, Movie/Sportscards Memorabilia, Barbie, Nascar, Dolls, Anime, Movies, Gaming Machines, Die-cast, Hot wheels, and many more collectables.

Special Guests are to include Peter Mayhew, Jeremy Bulloch, Mike Quinn, Rusty Goffe, Mike Edmonds, Michael Sheard from the Star Wars Trilogy. Model Shannon Baska from The Expanded Universe, & Jedi\'s Amy Allen, Alan Ruscoe from Episode 2 Attack of the Clones and Author Aaron Allston of Star Wars ?The New Jedi Order? Novels.

All guests will be signing autographs and taking pictures both days. Times will be posted. Any or all actors are subject to change.

Internet & Fan Groups TheForce.net (tentative) and Rebelscum.com will be there, as well as other FanForce groups. The world's largest costuming club, The 501st Legion of Stormtroopers, and the Rebel Legion will be there gearing up for this years 1st Annual "Make-A-Wish" event. Volunteers from Make-A-Wish will be there helping the 501st collect charitable contributions.

All actors will be participating in discussion forums on Saturday 19th. Times will be posted the day of event. A percentage of the profits will
    go to the Make-A-Wish foundation of N.C. For more questions please call Felix Diaz 919-303-3939 or email me at dealers@imperialquartermaster.com, or visit us at www.imperialquartermaster.com.

http://www.imperialquartermaster.com
  10. Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Wow Tallon! That was quite an advertisement there. Maybe TF.N should start charging for ads ;) Seriously though, I am thinking of coming up to the convention. Sounds like it could be fun.

It is just too bad that we all aren't closer distance wise in the SE Region. The one thing that really kills getting EVERYONE together is distance and the fact that so many already come to Atlanta for DragonCon. That is a big expense right there.
  11. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Are folks from the Memphis group invited, and if so do you need any help? I'm a meeting coordinator by profession, and I'd love to participate/volunteer/attend. I can also put it before my group. We have one here in Memphis in March to get out of the way, but it would be nice to meet people from all over.

Rhonda
  12. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    All folks from the Southeast Regions are invited. :)

Right now, we're still trying to hammer out then when and where, so everyone please keep the suggestions and concerns coming! :D
  13. MRFREEZE Jedi Youngling

Well, since there still seems to be some uncertainty as to the location & dates, why don't we try something like putting a poll on each of the 19 official Southeast Fanforce fourm pages? The poll could be open for seven days & at the end the votes could just be totaled up. This way all of the southeast chapters could have their say. For example there could be like five options on the poll: Disney World, Adventure Con, Six Flags, Dragoncon, & Greensboro toy show. Fanforce members have posted all five of these locations as possibilities. This would at least solve the location & possibly the date. What does everybody think?
  14. Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I think that is a fantastic idea MRFREEZE! Each city rep should make sure it get's up (just my opinion). And make sure your chapters vote! I know with the Hothlanta Rebels, we have quite a few folks who never come to the boards. This can also be a great way for more people to get involved online and voice their thoughts! I second this suggestion fully. :)
  15. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    This is up to the individual CRs. If they wish to hold a poll on their boards, that is fine. It helps to get feedback from the membership.

But, in the end, we are not going to make everyone happy. We CRs are just going to have to come up with a day and time (after considering our chapter members' opinions). If we try to accomodate everyone, the event will never happen.

I actually didn't mean that to sound as negative as it does. I was just taking a moment to be practical. :)

EDIT: I'd like to take a moment to thank Allie Fox for working so hard to get preliminary info. for Six Flags. I still think that is a great idea, and perhaps we can have some sort of gathering there this year (even if it isn't the Southeast Region gathering)
  16. Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    You're right in saying that, though, Minacia. It hard enough to set a time where 13 people can attend, much less 1300.

I think Allie Fox was right in choosing Six Flags. Atlanta is probably the central point for the Southeast region.
  17. Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I know what you mean Minacia. I guess what I was trying to say is perhaps it can be encouraged both to the City Reps and the chapters to try to voice their thoughts through a poll. And I think AllieFox is doing a great service to the SE FanForce community in trying to organize this event. Whether it be a formal "pow wow" or just a blast at a theme park, I think the idea is valid and fosters better relations between all the clubs. We are all dynamic groups structured in different ways. I think good learnings can be had from the chapter leader to the general member of the chapter. Whatever is decided, I support it and I plan to be at whatever is organized.
  18. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Atlanta certainly is the easiest to get to if you are flying. It's just an hour flight from just about anywhere in the SE on Delta, and the flights are usually under $200 if you book a Sat. stayover or reserve early. Again, count me in for help, etc.

Also, in working with Delta with my meetings, I've learned you can get group fares with most airlines through some travel agencies. Let me know if you need more info on that. A traveler would call specific travel agency and reference meeting name. Tickets are not ticketed until right before meeting (about 2 weeks), but the price is held at the zone fare. Both Delta and NW only require 10 travellers for a group fare.
  19. Sereana_Nightstar Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Hi,
    I have to agree that Memorial weekend is not a good time for many people because of family gatherings. Also, costs go up on a lot of things like air fares, cars, hotels. Excpet Orlando does stay pretty cheap most of the time.
    Also, what info. can you give us folks from other areas about Atlanta area. I know I have trouible running from gate to catch a connection. It is a big airport, because of it being a central hub. I would tend to fly if the price was right and some folks want to drive for 12 hours each way.....your choice. Where is Adventure Con? What Six Flags park? I am not into many parks other than Disney. and disney does have places we can meet.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Marie
  20. MRFREEZE Jedi Youngling

Adventure Con is in Knoxville, TN. located about three hours north of Atlanta. Just like all of the other ideals that been brought up A.C. has more then it's share of positives including:

Adventure Con is the second largest toy show in the Southeast (I believe FX is first).

Adventure Con's 2003 show has at least ten celebrity guests scheduled to appear, including; Warwick Davis (Wicket from ROTJ, Willow Ufgood from Willow, Leprechaun from Leprechaun I-VI, Wald from Episode I TPM, Professor Flitwick from both of the Harry Potter movies.), Erin Gray (Col. Wilma Deering from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century), Noel Neill (Lois Lane on the Adventures of Superman), Ben Chapman (The original Creature from the Black Lagoon), James Macarthur (Danno on Hawaii Five-0), Linda Harrison (Nova in the Planet of the Apes movies), Gil Gerard (Buck Rogers), Lou Ferrigno (The Incredible Hulk), Dirk Benedict (Starbuck on Battlestar Galaticia & Faceman on The A-Team) & Felix Silla (Cousin Itt on the Addam?s Family, Twiki on Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Luicifer on Battlestar Galticia, Hang glider Ewok in ROTJ, penguin general in Batman Returns).

Companies scheduled to attend include: Endless Horizons (creators of Stark Raven: comic book, action figures & soon to be released cartoon series), Action Figure Authority (consider by some to be the premier action figure grading company) & Stark Raven magazine (one of the premier classic horror movie magazine in the country).

Adventure Con?s autograph area will also feature, on display, a full size replica of the 1966 Batcar & numerous props (life size Creature from the Black Lagoon, Terminator Endo skeleton & R2-D2).

Adventure Con's admission is only $5 per day.

Numerous Star Wars collecting groups will be set up in the dealer area, including; Tennessee Star Wars Collecting Group, Knoxville Fanforce & Alabama Star Wars Syndicate. These are in addition to costuming members of the Rebel Legion & Fighting 501st, who will be at the show.

Knoxville is very close to Gatlinburg, Sevierville, & The Great Smokey Mountain National park, which has a higher yearly attendance than any other national park in the USA. Other attractions include: Dollywood, Splash Country, & Ripley?s Aquarium (one of the biggest in the country).

Where else in the southeast can you attend an event such as Adventure Con & still be able to afford going to a place like Gatlinburg?

21. MRFREEZE Jedi Youngling

Has this ideal been put off for 2003, or is it still a go? Maybe we just try state-wide get togethers, rather than the entire southeast.
  22. Darth_Yalc Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I am not sure. I am pretty sure we are having a Carolinas FanForce meeting at ConCarolinas but have not heard anythng about it in awhile either.
  23. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I still think that a Southeast get-together can be made a reality, but we just have to have realistic goals. I think that getting together at an established con, such as Dragon*Con, would be a good idea for a regional get-together, at least for this year.

I think that state-wide get-togethers are wonderful. I know that several chapters in Georgia are in the process of planning a joint event. :)
  24. stacey113 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I agree with Minacia. I have over half of my Fanforce coming to DragonCon, but it would be impossible to schedule 2 trips to Atlanta this year. I look forward to seeing all of you there at Labor Day!
  25. UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I also agree that DragonCon would be a perfect meeting spot for the Fan Forces. I'm already planning on going with my 501st Garrison and I'm trying to convince more of the Fan Forces in the state to go.

-Jane
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.