main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

South East Southeast FanForce Con

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Allie Fox, Nov 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vswader

vswader Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    i also am in agreement with a southeast fanforce con at dragoncon. i know that from our chapter, including myself, there are many that are planning to attend the event (the first time for me). it would be a memorable experience to coincide both cons at one location. a great facility to kick back and meet fellow fanforce members. and besides, what a better medium to use as a backdrop than Dragoncon.

2. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    My chapter will be holding a FanForce dinner on the Friday of the con, for folks from all regions, but I think it would be nice if we could organize a Southeast get-together. It doesn't have to be terribly formal. Plus, many folks from this region already plan on coming to Dragon*Con, so it would cut down on people having to travel to more than one event this spring/summer.

I think that having a Southeast gathering separate from a con would be nice, but perhaps that is something we can plan for later this year or sometime next year.

Of course, this is just my humble suggestion. Any ideas are welcome. :)

3. stacey113

stacey113 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    I very much enjoyed the Friday night Fanforce get together last year. The Hothlanta Rebels made everyone feel so welcome. I think either Saturday or Sunday night would be a good choice for a Southeast meet up. There is so much to do at DragonCon, but we can also make time to get to know our fellow Southerners. Will there be a Fanforce table again this year Mandy? I volunteered for duty at the table last year and met so many folks from different parts of the country. I hope we do it again.

4. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    We have reserved a fan table to promote FanForce at Dragon*Con this year. I'll begin organizing staffing for it as the time for the con gets a little closer.

5. bluestarwizard

bluestarwizard Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2002
    I think Dragon Con would probably work better for our group as well. This will be the only event that most of our members will be able to make this year, especially the ones with families.

6. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    It looks like Dragon*Con may be our best and only bet for this.

Ah well..

7. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    Well, it might be our best bet for this year, at any rate. Believe me, Dragon*Con is a blast, especially when you find lots of other crazed Star Wars fanatics to hang out with. :)

8. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    I'm from the Augustan Raiders (bluestarwizard's our rep! :D ) and I think this is a really good idea too! :D I didn't know which I wanted to go to more, but now I don't have to choose! I can do both! :D

Is the dinner gonna be in the same place as it was last year Min? ?[face_plain] And is it in the more expensive range or cheaper range? ?[face_plain]

Thanks and God bless!

-Malz

9. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    We're still working out the dinner details. Last year, we originally had certain meals that guests could choose from (basically, a limited menu.) What we ended up doing is letting everyone order whatever they wished from the regular menu. It was a bit more chaotic for the restaurant staff, but everyone was happier. If we do the same thing this year, you can order as little or as much as you would like.

We should have more information about the dinner at the end of May or beginning of June. Bear with us. :)

10. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    Cool, thanks Min! :D

God bless!

-Malz

11. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    DragonCon is a no-brainer! I'll be there, peoples, Hothlanta is a wonderful host and a fine time will be had by all.

12. Angel_Padme

Angel_Padme Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2000
    anyone know anymore about this?

13. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    If you want to know more about the Dragon*Con dinner, check out this thread.

As for a Southeast regional gathering, perhaps we can all meet for lunch during Dragon*Con.

Perhaps we can hold a separate regional gathering once Dragon*Con has come and gone. :)

14. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    Has anymore thought been put into this being held at DragonCon this year? Even a simple sit down next to a hotel bar where we take over lounge chairs and sofas would be a good start. Maybe Friday night before the con kicks into extreme high gear?

15. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Strong you are with the Force, Jayce. Just before or after the Fri. nite dinner would be acceptable and a central meeting place, such as the Hothlanta Fan Force tables would be preferred.

16. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    Don't forget, the dinner is on Saturday this year. :)

I'm thinking that we can all meet at the table and then we can all walk to a nearby restaurant together for lunch or we can go with Jace's idea. OR, we could do both, as I know that many Southeast region folks will not be making it in to the con until very late Friday night or early Saturday morning.

Other suggestions are more than welcome, of course.

17. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    Quick question. Wasn't the whole idea to do a SE event seperate from DragonCon? It just seems like that was Allie Fox's original intention back when this thread began. Nonetheless, I feel really bad for not being able to come to DragonCon this year, but am really looking forward to next year. (Quick Plug) Everyone keep their eyes & ears open for the teaser for Stargate-Delta (1st US SG fan film) that is being done by several members of the Nashville, TN chapter and several others. Stargate Delta Sorry couldn't resist. :D

18. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    We are still wanting to do a separate Southeast Regional gathering, but it is something that we hope to plan for next year. Other things just kept getting in the way this year.

Plus, it is much easier for folks to get together at an established con that many of them plan to attend anyway.

19. DVDMaster

DVDMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2003
    Mandy: No kidding, I realize it's almost impossible to get people to come to local meetings, much less a regional meeting. Having another reason to be somewhere will help increase attendance. I'd be willing to drive within reason, but probably wouldn't drive down to Middle FL just for a meeting that'll last for only a few hours. A weekend event would be a little different i.e., some big project or a retreat at a state park.

20. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    We were thinking of making the Southeast get-together a weekend thing. Right now, Dragon*Con is our best shot at getting together anytime in the near future.

21. Skywalker0925

Skywalker0925 Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2003
    where is this dragon place at?

22. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    Dragon*Con is a sci-fin/fantasy convention that takes place in Atlanta over the Labor Day Weekend.

Trader Vic's, the restaurant where the FanForce dinner will be taking place on Aug. 30th is in the downtown Atlanta Hilton hotel.

More information about Dragon*Con can be found on their website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.