main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spaarti Clone Cylinders in Episode II

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    T'bone's latest report over at Cinescape.com mentions that the clones are 'grown' in clear tubes... I wonder if any of the material released associated with the movie, ie: Visual Dictionary calls them Spaarti Clone Cylinders - tying into Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy??

2. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Even if they're not directly referred to as Spaarti Cylinders, having them grown in tubes is great as it doesn't screw up Zahn's continuity too much.

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yes I'd imagine so they refered to the Mount Tantiss as being left over from the clone wars technology.

4. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Would be intresting if it does. And it could drive the movie purist nuts to have the EU have such an affect on the PT.

5. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    Yeah, Knight, that'd be worth the price of admission right there. :D

6. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    It seems lately that the EU is having a HUGE effect on the minutae details of Episode II :)

7. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Yeah! I love it when the EU influence is small, but still noticeable. It offers a really nice flavor to this stuff.

8. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Right you are, Mav. While I don't want to see Expanded Universe characters in the films, but I quite like the little things that keep cropping up to piss the puriles....er, purists off.

9. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that LFL said that unless labeled Infinities, everything is canon.

10. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Not even to piss them off, it's just nice to see that some people were paying attention, and that continuity can work. It makes it feel like one big flowing history.

11. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Sticking it to the purists make me feel all warm and squishy inside.

12. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

GAW,

No, that's the sucking chest wound bleeding into your lung.

MAV,

Yeah, yeah, I know. I just don't see why they hate it so much.

13. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Funny. I just emailed someone about this subject it is:

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

"Well,rumor has it that a species called the Kominoans are responsible for producing the clones.. LFL tech files that are released int he UK have confirmed that indeed there is a world named Komino so I guess it is true.

Well,from one of the trailers we see that the clones are trained instead of flash taught. we ll at first glance that may contradict the TTT,however the dark Empire sourcebook hints otherwise:

Cloning:

Cloning is a science of infamy and horror to most citizens of the galaxy due to the pain of the Clone Wars....This long banned technolog...

Cloning takes a human cell and duplicates it's genetic code. The code is implanted in a cell and as the cell grows into a human ,it will create an exact duplicate of the cell donor. To prevent any outside influence the clones gestate in vats or Spaarti cylinders-mechanical wombs filled with nutrient chemicals organic catalyzers.By varying the the composition of the nutrient bath,it is possible to alter the clone to enhance certain physical characteristics and by increasing the catalyzer solution ,growth can be accelerated many times.Under the right conditions a full grown adult body can be produced in a few weeks as demonstrated by Thrawn.Of course,one of the reasons why cloning was abandoned was because many of the clones were mentally unstable.While theories vary on this,some speculate that clones interfere with natural life forces.It seems that Thjrawn's use of the Ysalamiri overcame this obstacle.

While useful for spawning identicle physical specimens on a huge scale ,the downside is that clones are without the personality of the original.They must be taught everything from scratch.Since environment is equally important to the development of the Clone,individual clones while starting outgenetically identical,many develop diverging and distinct personalities"

It would seem to me that flash learning isn't a recommended procedure. Perhaps the Force somehow intereferes with the flash learning and makes them mentally unstable. Thrawn probaly took the risk cause he was in a desperate situation. His gamble paid off of course.

The Galactic Battle Grounds strategy guide tells us that the Empire eventually started flash teaching it's stormtroopers. They also created memories for their stormtroopers. They created entire lives for em. The were also engineered so that they couldn't tell that they were clones. Perhaps this whole practice proved to be less then succcessful in the end and cloning was abandoned altogether

Do you think it's possible that Spaarti is a kominoan word? Perhaps it just means "Cloning" in their language. It would be like the Colicoids and the destrouer droids. Some TF official heard the word droideka and thought that it sounded exotic. "Maybe that's what happened wit the kominoans and the Spaarti cylinders. Someone heard them say Spaarti and the cylinders just got stuck with that name.

What do you think? It will seem strange that Luke and co. never thought of the kominoan brand cylinders. They seem to immediately assume that Thrawn has Spaarti cylinders. I think this oddity can be easily fixed if it turns out that the Kominoans made the "Spaarti cylinders".

I would very much appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks."

14. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Well, they're not called spaaartii cyylinders, and none of those places are mentioned. The clones are grown in tubes but that's every sci-fi film where there are clones or humans being stored. Lucas isn't going to let the EU influence anything he does (cue Coruscant! and swoop!). The best you can hope for is something that you can sort of make work continuity wise with some minor changes.

The films are all Lucas. He needs to write them without any input from EU writers. Keep that in mind when viewing them and then go back to the galaxy eating machines and purple bunnies later.

15. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    I thought it was mentioned somewhere that even with flash learning, you still needed to train the clones because all flash learning really did was teach them the knowledge they needed in a particular field, training then assured they could put that knowledge to use.

16. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
  17. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Non of what places Padme Bra?

None is saying that they'll be called Spaarti cyliders in the movies. Just in the sourcebook.

18. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    The novelization, Padme Bra. And the source material. If they're called it in those, they're as canon as the species names of Rodians and Twi'leks.

19. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    True!

The novelisation by R.A. Salvatore is going to be VERY interesting indeed for the EU fan!

20. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Keep that in mind when viewing them and then go back to the galaxy eating machines and purple bunnies later.

Why must this anti-EU hatred persist? It's insulting to the writers, and more importantly, to the fans of it. Speaking out against it shouldn't be laced with overt hate. If it can be done in a poking-fun kind of way, that's better. In fact, the people that have experienced the most of the EU have the ability to make fun of it the most. Many of us do that here in Lit.

Come on PB. I know you love Dark Empire. Isn't that your favorite? ;)

21. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Lord knows I've made fun of it enough. I'm a charter member of the Haters' Community over in the EUC.

22. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Why must this anti-EU hatred persist?

More to the point, why must this purist bashing persist too, and appear in this thread first? We're all SW fans, why do we have to squabble with each other? [face_plain]

23. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    'Spaarti' could be the name of a Kaminoan manufacturer. Or their name for a type of advanced cloning process. It could be anything without conflicting with AotC.

24. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    How come Admins can troll, but not the rest of us?

wk

25. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Are you referring to Padme Bra?

And what makes you think he's trolling rather than just giving his opinion?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.