main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Space:1999 - New Novels and New Comic Books!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Lilapso, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    If you are a fan of the Space:1999 television series (1975-1977)you might want to pay attention! Powys Media and Blam! Ventures / Arcadia are producing fresh Space:1999 stories. If you are a Space99er you might want to visit the Powys Media website and the Blam! Ventures / Arcadia website. Powys Media is publishing a Space:1999 novel line. Blam! Ventures / Arcadia will issue Space:1999 comic books in the Fall of 2012. May the Eagles soar high and the long-lost Moonbase Alphans prosper!

2. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Is the series worth watching?

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It got pretty silly at times but I liked it. I've got a couple of the old novels around on one of the bookshelves.

4. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    MAJOR UPDATE!

Space:1999 fans are not only getting new novels and new comic books...

ITV which holds the rights to Space:1999 has announced pre-production on a reboot TV series. The reboot TV series is titled Space:2099. Visit the following for more details...

www.space2099theseries.com

5. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Interesting. As an 8 yo I loved this show, but when I watched it 30years later it was horrible. We’ll see I guess

Sarge likes this.
  6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    You have described my experience almost exactly. Am I you?

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Where did you dredge this thread from?

Also, why?

jp-30 likes this.
  8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    because it's Space: 1999, the show that we watched when we were 8 and thought was fantastic but later rewatched and realized was terrible.

Martin Landau: "They'll remake Space: 1999 over my dead body."

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    yankee8255 likes this.
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I thought, "Oh cool. I'd try that comic." Then I see this thread is 5 years old so I'm just posting to up my post count.

Rylo Ken, darthOB1 and Darth Punk like this.
  10. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Yep, I used to play commander Koenig in a game we kids called space! Let’s play space! OMG 8-}

Yeah, and sorry about dredging this up guess I scanned down too far

Darth Punk likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I remember watching it as a youngster when Star Trek reruns weren't on anymore. Even as a little kid I could tell that it wasn't nearly as good as Trek.

I do remember one episode that I found pretty scary, something about a tentacled monster dragging people into a dark spaceship. Anybody else remember that one? Was it as scary as I remember?

12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Bringers of Wonder I think. It's a memorable story.
    [​IMG]

13. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    No, you're thinking of "Dragon's Domain", and it is, indeed, scary.

I watched the show when it was first syndicated in the U.S. I go along with the opinion that the first season is better, with darker stories, philosophical undertones, great music, and Barry Morse as Bergman. The second season, when Fred Freiberger was brought in as producer, brought in more action and less intelligence, and wasn't as good (though it did have Catherine Schell). Both seasons had excellent VFX, though, especially the Eagle and Hawk spacecraft. And Alan Carter is second only to Han in the running for Coolest Space Pilot Ever.

I still have my old paperback adaptations stored away, and I read the fine "Aftershock and Awe" graphic novel series a while back. I knew they'd released some new books, but I haven't read them yet.

gezvader28 and Sarge like this.
  14. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    My strongest association w/Space 1999 is the toy of the Eagle-1 released by Mattel. My older brother had one and when I wanted one of my own he managed a trade w/a kid in the neighborhood and got it for me. As a 70s/80s toy collector, it remains high on my want list, but finding one in any condition--let alone good--is tough and prices are beyond the break away moon.

As for the series... I've revisited it a handful of times in recent years and found it cold and antiseptic. This might've been more tolerable had it been a bit smarter and more thought provoking. It's especially tough to watch Barbara Bain--so sexy, assured and capable on Mission: Impossible--looking here as if she'd just been lobotomized. It doesn't help that she's paired w/Landau, whose character should've been called Commander Starch.

Rylo Ken and Sarge like this.
  15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Bain and Landau were a couple at the time I believe .

I always thought they were mis-cast , the show had amazing production values tho , but UFO was better .

16. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    yes. not as scary but decently creepy.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, they were married at the time ('57-'93). Hard to tell given their lack of chemistry. Both of them seem ill at ease in their roles, if not the genre. It's the only thing I'd ever known Bain from until a year or so ago when I decided to check out some early Mission: Impossible. She's quite good in the latter, displaying everything she lacked in Space: 1999. The same can be said of Landau, but the difference is more pronounced w/Bain IMO.

18. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    I wonder if I had kept my 3 ft Eagle action figure set, if it would be worth anything today......

Coolest toy I had [face_thinking]

19. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Because we don't have Google.

darthOB1 likes this.
  20. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Holy crap 400 smackeroos on eBay!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  21. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
  22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I just had a couple of the novels. Probably still around somewhere in a bookcase.

23. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    As I posted elsewhere, I had a set of Comlocks, and I had model kits for the Eagle and Hawk spacecraft. I wish I'd gotten the Eagle playset for Christmas. But, a couple of years later, I got the Millenium Falcon playset, so it balances out.