main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Space 1999

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Siths_Revenge, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I got some DVDs of this old 70s series. Anyone here remember it? A lot of people who did the SW visuals worked on this series. The series visuals are fantastic, but the acting and sets are dry. Almost like Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Also, in watching the pilot (the Earth's moon breaks out of orbit and hurtles through space), why didn't the Moonbase people simply get to the escape vehicles and head back to Earth?

2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I was a baby when Space 1999 came out, and I honestly don't remember ever watching it. Maybe in reruns?... The thing I remember most is that for some reason my older brother had two Eagle-1 (Was that the name?) toy space ships (And speaking of Star Wars it looked quite similar to the Rebel Blockade runner.) He also had lots of Space 1999 bubble gum cards... He gave them all to me when I got older, but for some reason all I still have are the cards :(... It's a shame too because the Eagle-1 is quite expensive on eBay.

BTW, how is the music in the series? I can't seem to recall the theme.

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    The only thing that I know about this is that Ron Moore copied the opening credits, where they show what'll be happening in the episode. Works quite well for Galactica, and I'm sure it's the same for this. I would like to eventually see this.

4. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    The opening credits are some disco rock theme! And yeah, like the new BSG they show scenes from the episode.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's actually still on TV here in the UK. ITV4 (satellite channel) shows it at 7pm on Sunday evenings. All reruns, of course - nothing new.

6. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I vaguely remember watching this as a kid, and that a friend of mine had the ship which was really cool. I remember that the cockpit could come off and that there was a trap door and a winch inside. Didn't they change the original version of the Millenium Falcon into the Blockade Runner because they were worried it looked too much like this ship?

7. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah I think I read that too... maybe Steve Sansweet's "Star Wars: From concept to screen to collectible" [face_thinking].

8. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Gerry Anderson should've stuck to puppets. None of his live-action stuff really enticed me. As for the "this is what's happening during the show" thing, Anderson did it in Thunderbirds a good 10 years before Space 1999.

Then again, I wouldn't mind seeing a few episodes of Space Precinct again. Everyone says it was awful. I loved it as a kid but I'd be interested in finding out if it really was as good as I remember (probably not).

9. Siths_Revenge

Jul 27, 2004
    I found a Youtube clip of the show's opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DF9nDJZrdA

10. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Thanks for posting that :D... Geez I can't that opening brings back any memories, but it sure is very 70's [face_peace]... It starts off nice and Sci-Fi and then gets all disco... Neat looking show though.

11. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I checked into it and my local library actually had Space 1999 on DVD so I reserved it. Can't wait to watch it... El freebo of course :p.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.