main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Space chase/ Crait plan discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by 3sm1r, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    None of the characters who we got to know/were attached to already knew. So even if D'Arcy knew, that doesn't mean much really.

^That's an issue with the film overall imo.

2. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    If we are discussing the way Holdo dealt with the situation, it doesn't matter whether we are attached or not to whoever knows the plan. What matters is his/her rank. D'acy was surely more entitled to know the plan than Rose.
    Anyway, I'm just being pedantic, I also don't get why Holdo behaved like that.

3. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    You would assume that when it comes to evac plans, not only should there been one already in place since D’Qar, everyone should have been informed of it from the start. I mean, that is basic safety procedure and it’s even people’s right to know what to do and where to go in case of emergency.

Clearly we don’t have a situation like Hoth when the rebellion acted minimally competent and the entire crew seemed to be informed of the rendezvous point. Because the plot required, we’re dealing with a bizarre situation where a military organization doesn’t seem to have a basic evac plan as they set course to a random location in the middle of nowhere that conveniently happened to be nearby a base they only remembered it existed last minute.

So it’s rather difficult to access this situation from a military point of view, because from a realistic perspective this shouldn’t even have happened in the first place.

Still, we are talking about evac plans in a situation of emergency, not normal military plans. And in evac plans everyone is automatically involved, for obvious reasons. The ones in the chain of command need to know how to carry out the rest of the evac if something happens to the superiors, and the crew needs to know where and how to retreat to safety if something happens to the leadership. The last thing you need in emergency situations is people refusing to communicate with each other and not telling others the basics and how to safely proceed. That only leads to panic, confusion and disorder. As we saw, ironically, though I don’t think it was RJ’s intentions to justify Poe’s mutiny.

There is another aspect of the narrative I would like to comment on. It has been a recurring argument that Holdo was justified to withhold basic information on the evac plan because if it was known to everyone, it could leak to the FO. And judging from a Laura Dern’s interview, I think that was RJ’s reasoning for this. The plot tries to “justify” her behavior by having Poe informing Finn and Rose of (his misinterpretation of the poorly informed) evac plan and DJ overhearing it.

I already said that there should have been an already planned out and organized evac plan in place from the start as basic strategic planning and common sense (as well as basic leadership competence), but the fact that Poe doesn’t seem know even the most basic security procedures for someone who held a Commander rank is extremely contrived to the say the least. He basically spoils Holdo’s plan to Finn before even asking where they were (or if they were next to someone that could overhear them). And for no good reason, because it's not like they needed to know that, but the plot required someone to act without thinking. (Also, Star Wars does have code names to account for "overhearing" or enemy interception of their communications - heck in TESB you hear "code kay-one-zero" to let everyone know of the evacuation signal. It's really weird that Poe was communicating with Finn and Rose normally, without even adopting any form of coded communication or care that in this stealth mission others could overhear their tactical plans.)

And this only hurts Poe’s character arc, which, along with his equal failure to communicate his plan to Holdo, his mutiny and him getting a slap in the wrist for everything he did, does not make him convincingly come across as a someone ready to receive Leia’s torch in the leadership of the Resistance/Rebellion/whatever they call themselves now. The guy shouldn’t even be holding a rank at all.

godisawesome and 3sm1r like this.
  4. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    You guys are arguing almost entirely with the benefit of hindsight...

5. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    But there was a well organized evacuation from D'Qar (One that was executed perfectly up until the point that Poe decided to ignore orders from a General) that allowed the Resistance to escape in spite of Poe's nonsense. The jump destination only seems like a bad idea AFTER you find out the FO can track them through hyperspace. This is information the neither the Resistance nor the audience was privy to while the evacuation was happening. So I'm not really sure how this evacuation is at all less competent than the one we saw on Hoth.

6. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I don't know who you are referring to with the undefined "you guys", but in my case it's absolutely not true. I'm questioning Poe', Holdo' and Hux's behaviors regardless of the outcomes. The same is true for the poster who criticized Holdo, since the hindsight is clearly in Holdo's favor.

La Calavera likes this.
  7. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    There wasn’t. An evac plan means you have a place to evac. They didn’t have one. They had to think of one through the chase scene. And I thought it was weird that they dropped from LS in the middle of nowhere and not in front of a base, and after my first watching I had the impression that was because of the lack of fuel or something. It's only in my second watching that I noticed they didn't seem to know where to go. The destination jump still doesn't make much sense, but it had to be that way just so the movie could unfold the way it did.

I also wouldn’t say their tactics were well organized. It took me some time to make sense of them, and I'm still not sure what was the actual plan. Poe had been green-lit to destroy the surface cannon of a Dreadnought for the purpose of moving in the bombers. Someone had already fielded in the bombers. So there was an attack plan already in place that had nothing to do with the actual evacuation, for unknown reasons. Then midway through it the plan gets cancelled, to which Poe disobeys, and also for unknown reasons, Leia doesn’t communicate her orders to the bombers team. I wouldn’t call this “well organized”.

godisawesome likes this.
  8. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think the core dissonance among critics like myself is that the plotline for Holdo is one that would fit a twist on the "Captain Queeg" archetype; someone who the film portrays as tactically and strategically competent (in-film, even if I don't think the Evac plan works out of univers or in the context of the saga), but administratively has severe weaknesses that act as a liability.

And if Holdo has an element of Caitain Queeg in her, then there is a major void in the dramatic portrayal of the character. Authority figures in episodes of Star Trek suffering from a similar flaw generally have a dramatic moment of a few seconds long to flesh their character out and spice up the drama. The lack of that in TLJ implies that Rian Johnson, as the writer, didn't really see the character that way. Which is a shame, because it's one of those several little moments that critics like myself see as clearly capable of consistent dramatic logic, but instead is delivered with flaws that damage the delivery more than an absence of the idea does. It's similar to how Snoke's role in Kylo's past getting skipped over can hurt the persecution of both characters, or Rey's sped up empathy to Kylo feels like ignorance of what effect TFA would have had on their dynamic, or how Rey's parentage being the most challenging answer of "no one" feels empty if the juicy fallout of that idea is minimalized by being so briefly handled at the ending of a drawn out plotline of the much leaner questioning phase, or how Luke not displaying a strong draw towards the moral obligation to helping the Galaxy can tip one's interpretation of him from broken but in character to cowardly and out of character.

9. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    There's no way that Holdo could have predicted that Poe would lead a mutiny. It even comes as a surprise to the audience and we know Poe more than Holdo does. Poe acts increasingly irrationally in the aftermath of losing both Leia and his X-wing (doing things we have never seen a rebel/resistance person do before). These characters are going through stressful situations and they act according to those stresses. It's only after you've seen Poe reach that point that you can look back and say that Holdo should have seen that coming or shouldn't have employed more "common sense" to avoid it. It's a poor way of making the argument.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  10. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    I think most criticism of Holdo comes from people being genuinely surprised she had a plan despite the movie leading us to believe she didn’t have one and/or was a traitor, making people wondering why she didn’t just simply tell the plan in the first place and spared us all that drama.

People who defend Holdo’s behavior also do it so after knowing she wasn’t in fact a clueless leader or a traitor as the movie made it look like, because had the movie’s intentions been in fact to portray Holdo as an incompetent leader or a traitor, we wouldn’t be having this conversation in the first place.

This “in hindsight” argument goes both ways.

11. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I couldn't disagree more on this. Poe said "you are a coward and a traitor!" What else was he supposed to do in order to make her elaborate the educated guess that maybe ([face_idea][face_idea]) something dangerous was going on?

Right few minutes before Poe asked the question in the most explicit way (I'd say he was begging rather than asking, to be precise) "just tell us that you have a plan!"
    And she talked about the sun...

12. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    You're assuming that they didn't intentionally go to a place in the middle of nowhere. I don't know why you're doing that. It seems fairly reasonable that they wanted to be somewhere off the grid until they could figure out the best place to jump to to refuel. They didn't jump to another base because they don't have another base. At the end of ESB the rebels are also in the middle of nowhere regrouping.

The plan is pretty simple to follow. Evacuate the base is the primary objective. If they are unable to evacuate in time, they need to launch an attack on the dreadnought so that it can't destroy the base. They are still in the middle of their evacuation when the FO arrives. So they start the attack on the dreadnought. Once the final transport is off the ground, Leia calls off the attack on the dreadnought because it has not yet reached a point of no turning back. Poe is in command of the bombers because they are his team. I don't know what your profession is like, but at my job I have a boss that tells me what to do. My boss's boss does not tell me what to do. He tells my boss what to do.

Sarge likes this.
  13. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    I totally agree. Once I thought about it, I realized how bad I think his arc was written. It's good to learn to be disciplined and not reckless. That's a good lesson to learn. But the movie clearly shows that Poe's lesson learned is that he needs to not question authority and just fall in line when his superiors don't tell him anything about what's going on. That's a terrible message to send to anyone.

It is implied she did, since she was working closely with Holdo. Holdo must have told D'Acy and the other commanders NOT to tell Poe the plan (because you assume someone would tell Poe as long as they were told not to). Holdo must have directed them all to intentionally withhold the plan from him, which is an orchestrated act. I guess Holdo thought it would be a good thing to single Poe out, for whatever reason, but she was wrong. Nobody is ever gonna just say "Ok, they tell me nothing but I'll just go along like a mindless idiot." If she just would've told him her plan, then at least there's a chance he likes it, or at the most he'll debate it with her. Holdo just lacked these crucial communication skills and didn't want to deal with him.

14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Haven't thought about it.
    Besides, I don't even understand what was supposed to stay secret anymore. That the transports were charged was clear to everybody who paid attention, Poe simply casually noticed it, nobody was hiding it. So is it just that they were intended to go to Crait the secret part? But I don't get it, once the FO knew that there were transports in the first place, deducing they were going to Crait was trivial. The secrecy argument sounds weak to me.

15. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    I think it's the story writing that just falls hollow. Yeah, doesn't make sense. Holdo just stands there as the transports start to fuel in the background, not caring if Poe notices now? I think it was just all written the way it was for dramatic effect in the end.

16. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    Middle of nowhere in space is not a place. I thought it was obvious I was talking about a place that provided shelter, resources, etc to accommodate their survival. Which is basic strategic planning. They were a NR-supported Resistance who lived in a free galaxy a couple of days ago, they should’ve had plenty of time to establish secret hideouts. Even a much smaller Rebellion in ANH had other bases.

And the very own movie establishes that they did have bases, they just didn’t conveniently remember they existed before.

And no, in TESB, the Rebellion was shipped to a rendezvous point. Luke didn’t go there because we decided to take trip to Dagobah. Leia and Han were meant to go there, but Falcon’s hyperdrive malfunctioned and they drifted around in space looking for the nearest safe place to land and get the ship fixed.

Regarding the plan: That could’ve been the case, though it is my opinion that the movie portrayed the situation in very confusing way. The Star Destroyers are the first ships that popped out of LS and signaled the FO presence to the Resistance, which were already in the middle of their evacuation. For unclear reasons, Poe appeared to be already fielded in whatever plan was when the Dreadnought appears after the SDs. And with the evacuation already in place even before the FO showed up with their ships, it’s even odder that they would somehow have in place, already fielded in, an attack plan that only – and really only – concerned one Dreadnought that appeared the last minute when their evac was almost complete already.

I also wondered why the Star Destroyers weren’t doing anything, and the Resistance also didn’t seem to be in the slightest concerned about them. But I disagree it was easy to understand what they were doing and why. It’s easy though to come up with posterior explanations for this and try to make some sense out of it.

I would say though it’s common sense to expect the General to overrule the commands of insubordinate lower ranking officers. If Leia said “retreat”, everyone, no exceptions, should’ve gotten that memo.

godisawesome likes this.
  17. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Exactly; the moment that Poe screams that she's a traitor, he's explicitly challenging her loyalty and authority in front of *everyone.* Even a merciful and compassionate military commander needs to view that as the kind of affront that must be met with immediate disciplinary actions, unless they're willing to cede control of the mission and ship over to the challenger, in which case sharing the bare bones of a plan makes sense as the move before that.

And allowing Poe to walk off the bridge at that point completely works against the reprimand she gave him when telling him to get off her bridge. She's either the disciplinarian who views Poe as having lost the privileges his former rank gave him, in which case she's OOC when being merciful, or she's the more diplomatic compassionate mentor figure who was OOC when refusing to share the plan with him and reprimanding him and for some reason keeps mum on the plan when she should be using it to convince him to join her, because let's face it, everything about Leia's reveal of the plan to Poe is done in a way that suggests that he totally understands the value the film wants to put on it.

Doesn't mean the film's evac plan is any less dumb than we've earlier argued about thanks to its flaws in visual scanning or tactical logic, just that film treats Poe's briefing of the plan from Leia as a kind of epiphany for him.
    I think that's the biggest answer; Rian Johnson is too good of a writer for individual scenes to fall apart by themselves, and too good of a director to not execute the dramatic theme behind each scene. The dialogue in each scene is spot on *for that scene* and the actors all do a good job *for that scene.* But the overall narrative and plot is schizophrenic, especially in the space chase. Laura Dern does an excellent job with all three characters she plays called Holdo, but seeing them as the exact same character doesn't work. The reveal of the Evac Plan works in the scene with Leia and Poe, but is so absurdly simple that it doesn't make sense he wasn't briefed earlier, and it is rendered pathetic when the FO immediately thereafter counters it with a few pushes of buttons, all while coming off as under planned when viewed with the tactical logic of the situation. And similarly, Hux and co. being irritated and impotent at catching up to the Resistance doesn't jive with Chewbacca and Finn both hyperspace jumping right on top of the Supremacy using hyperspace. And Kylo Ren and his boys ripping apart the Raddus's bridge and fighter complement works dramatically in that scene... Up until suddenly his fellow pilots blow up and they can't support him *because plot.*

And I honestly think a bunch of the conceptual problems with the space chase are the direct result of the way the film's non-Force narrative mutated from early on. We know that intitally, Poe and Finn were the duo going to Canto Bight, until Johnson felt he couldn't separate their voices enough, no matter how little sense that makes regarding a recently freed child soldier and a veteran pilot raised in freedom. So when Johnson split them up and put Poe back on the Raddus, that meant the Raddus plot had to grow. And since we were now juggling effectively four plot, a rush job on one or two was inevitable.

Rhyoth and 3sm1r like this.
  18. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    At the end of ESB the entire Rebellion is out beyond the galactic rim in space, not at another base that provides shelter and resources.

The Resistance does not have other bases. Crait is not a Resistance base. Crait was a Rebel base that was abandoned 35 years prior. The Resistance is not NR supported. That's literally the reason it exists...because the NR wouldn't build a military of their own.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  19. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    ^ At the end of ESB they were in a actually well-equipped (well, medically at least) large hidden ship (a place) which could have been said "rendezvous point" or not, as we see them going somewhere and saying to Lando that they would meet him in the rendezvous point on Tatooine. It's also clear that some time had passed, so it's unknown if they weren't just moving bases. Either way, the movies are good at showing a well organized Rebellion who had set up pre-planned rendezvous points in case of emergency/separation.

The Resistance was supported by the NR. It was mentioned in TFA.

20. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    By whom?

"The Resistance was a splinter group from the Republic's military and operated wholly independently of the Republic chain of command. The Republic quietly tolerated Organa's activities,[4] as she pursued evidence that the First Order was violating the Galactic Concordance, while some members of the Galactic Senate secretly supported her actions with their funding and sympathies."

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  21. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    By the script?

The crawl:
    "With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE."

Hux:
    "We shall destroy the government that supports the Resistance, the Republic."

The text you quoted also states they were "secretly" supported and got funding.

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  22. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Fair...I didn't remember that from the crawl. Either way, they were secretly supported by individuals in the Senate, but had no official ties to the New Republic. There weren't any NR bases hosting Resistance members or ships.

23. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    Why does Poe say he's the Commander of the Republic Fleet in TLJ? What was that all about?

zackm likes this.
  24. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah, that was weird.

25. MrElculver2424

May 11, 2014
    I'm still confused though. Hux says the Resistance is supported by the Republic (implying the whole Republic), and the script says so too, but other canon material makes it clear that the Resistance was created separately because the Republic didn't believe in militarizing, and didn't take the threat of the FO seriously. It didn't support the Resistance. So again, what is happening here?