main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Space chase/ Crait plan discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by 3sm1r, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    So the entire space chase is, intellectually, a countdown to doom for the good guys. There's a timer and when it goes to zero the good guys are going to die. It also functions as a major challenge to key characters, and in providing that challenge we see the characters respond which in turn reveals characterisation.

Yes, it's contrived. All the pieces are set up to create this scenario. Why can't the good guys get away, using the lightspeed get away card? Because they're being tracked through hyperspace that nullifies that way of escaping. How the tracking works is simply technobabble. Why can't the bad guys just shoot them then? Because the good guy ships are faster and keep them out of effective range. Why can't they just keep going and outrun at sublight? Because the ships have limited fuel. What matters is how the characters respond, and the contrasting ways that they respond and come into conflict with each other over their responses provide (ideally) an interesting and engaging story.

There are two main plans to deal with the fact that they're being tracked. One is to get off the ships and lead the FO on a wild goose chase, the SW equivalent of a cowboy getting off his horse, sending it off alone, and hiding in the bushes while the chasing Indians ride past in pursuit. They were going to sneak everyone off the Raddus in cloaked transports and land on a nearby planet that held a rebel base with the means of communicating with their far-flung allies, presumably to call for a ride. Meanwhile, the Raddus would fly on past until it ran out of fuel and then was blown to bits. The Resistance would then have been considered to be dead. This is Holdo's plan (and likely Leia's as well).

This plan encounters several obstacles. In Poe, Holdo finds a rival. A junior officer demanding to be involved. A junior officer who becomes increasingly irrational and intense when his exclusion continues and as the plan loses ships (or horses to continue the earlier analogy). The culmination of Poe's refusal to be submissive to Holdo is a small mutiny that shuts down the hangar and prevents their escape. Later still, Poe's refusal to be passive results in an alternative plan that reveals a key part of the escape strategy to the First Order, albeit unintentionally. This plan changes when this happens. It's no longer about hiding out on Crait waiting for the FO to pass. It's about holding out in an old fort, sending out ravens, and waiting for the cavalry to arrive in the nick of time (apologies for mixing up my analogies here).

The second plan is to disable the tracking and ultimately escape into lightspeed. Finn reveals to Rose that they're being tracked and she comes up with some technobabble about how they can disable it. They take this plan to Poe. A Poe who has been stewing following his demotion, the destruction of his ship and a lot of his friends, finding out he's not in charge, and being excluded from command decisions. Poe is a man of action being forced to be passive. Believing Holdo has no plan he latches onto this bonkers scheme that's brought to him, to infiltrate the enemy ship and disable the tracking long enough for them to hyperspace to safety (the string having been cut). The plan actually goes well, despite setbacks and fails just as it's about to succeed. The plan not only fails to achieve its goal, but it backfires, crucial information is passed onto the FO which jeopardises the other plan. I'd argue that thematically, Poe is concerned with the material aspect of the Resistance, while Leia is concerned with the people. This is a natural result of their life experiences, Poe is a pilot, Leia is a diplomat. Two opposing leadership styles. This is demonstrated by Poe's determination to proceed with the attack at the beginning ("this is our chance to take out a dreadnaught!"), his belief that this victory was justified despite the loss of life, his reactions to seeing their support ships destroyed, and his intense reaction to the relevation that they were abandoning the Raddus (he calls her a traitor because she's essentially giving away their most powerful ship). To Poe, they're losing all their strength. But to Leia, their strength isn't in their ships, it's in inspiration that they as people can provide.

So, questions.

1) Why didn't Holdo reveal her plan to Poe?
    Firstly, because Poe is a subordinate she recognises as too volatile and second, because that belief is confirmed through Poe's actions and words.

2) Why didn't Hux send TIE fighters?
    It's a good question and honestly, the answer is that the scenario needs for the FO to be in pursuit and for the danger to be encroaching rather than active. An explanation is that it's simply because Hux doesn't think he needs to. Hubris is a constant theme in this saga.

3) Why didn't Hux send ahead a Star Destroyer to head them off?
    Another good one. Same answer above really. You could say that it's because the practicalities of doing so are too difficult (how far ahead do they jump, they need to be facing the other way etc.). However, Rian himself has weighed in with an explanation (Slashfilm podcast interview). Allow me to paraphrase. Bringing in more Star Destroyers to intercept the resistance fleet would have meant taking those ships from another fleet. With the resources of the FO engaged elsewhere in the galaxy, Hux would need to reallocate those. Is that really an efficient use? Also, Rian cites hubris on the part of Hux and points out that to Hux, the only thing he has to do is simply wait and his victory is assured.

4) Did the transports have a hyperdrive?
    Nope. They were short-ranged transports. We're first introduced to them taking off from Crait but where do they go? They go into the Raddus and the Raddus then jumps. This is unusual in Star Wars, where we see most ships apart from TIEs with hyperdrives of their own. This should be evidence enough that they can't jump (otherwise they would have done so, like the GR75s) . Now... this film also features the X-wings entering the hangar and not jumping separately, but we have a pretty long history to show that they can.

5) Why was it so difficult to contact the allies?
    I don't think it was difficult. My understanding is that the need for contacting allies only becomes really necessary when they're on the way to Crait for a pick up, and then later when they need help. There's no real point to calling in allies when the chase has started. There's a massive fleet chasing them. A few extra ships aren't going to help them. The allies don't come to Crait for whatever reason or reasons we like to think up. Leia thinks it's because there's no hope, but this is just Leia's reasoning. It's not to say that all the allies have lost hope.

6) Why didn't they go to Crait with a lightspeed jump?
    Because the plan was to hide away on Crait. They would have been tracked to Crait and the FO would probably have clued in that there's where they are. The Crait plan only works at all on the idea that the FO aren't aware of them going there and are busy chasing empty ships elsewhere.

7) Why didn't the Resistance just leave the Raddus and lightspeed away on the other ships?
    There's no indication that the Raddus was the only ship being tracked. They could have taken the Ninka only to have discovered that it was tracked as well. Same result, fewer ships. What's more though, they had no real knowledge of how the tracking worked. The best that Rose can come up with is a theory and they resolve a plan to disable the system long enough to jump, but she doesn't say she knows how it works and which ships it is tracking. It's been argued that because they go to Canto Bight in a tiny escape-pod size ship and the FO didn't follow them that this must mean only the Raddus is being tracked but that's a bit of a stretch.

8) Where was Poe going to jump to?
    I think it's safe to assume that he had a destination in mind that wasn't in the middle of nowhere.

9) Why did the fleet exit hyperspace from D'Qar in the middle of nowhere?
    Good question. It's just one of those things I guess. You could rationalise this in terms of it just being one leg of a journey to their next possible base.

Improvements.
    It's a long post already so forgive me. How could this whole thing be improved or clarified? Would it have been simpler just to have some kind of Interdictor in the FO fleet and they had to come up with a plan to destroy that? Possibly. I think you lose a lot of the drama from the slow chase and the encroaching and helpless sense of doom you get. All the ships need to be going in the same direction and this would basically need a counterattack which would probably have made less sense given the firepower of the FO fleet. Undoubtedly a few extra lines of dialogue could probably clarify some things further. But I wonder at what point this becomes tiresome. There are only so many times a character can stop and turn to another and say "but we can't do this because X".

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  2. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    That pretty much covers it, Red, but I think the explanation for the lack of TIEs is that they'd have to fly out of range of the Destroyers to attack the capital ships and those the Destroyers couldn't support them. It's after the destruction of the Raddus bridge that the chase is out of range for fighter support and Hux orders Kylo back to the Supremacy. It is a bit wooly, absolutely, but the film does address it. Perhaps it would have been good to see a squadron of TIEs get annihilated by the Rebel heavy canon to sell that more. But the film does tell us the reason. Then you fall back to Hux's hubris and the the belief that they have the Resistance at the end of a piece of string.

3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Hux's hubris IMO does not work. He has a brief discussion with an officer in which he shows annoyance for the fact that there is no way to end it quickly.

There is something else that does not convince me very much. How comes that the FO ships and the Resistance ships have identical maximal speed/acceleration?

4. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Re the first - he's not shown much interest in throwing away resources or his soldiers for no end. If he has them where he wants them, that could explain why he doesn't throw much fighters at them.

Re the second - someone gave a good reason for this - the Resistance ships can pull out of range, but then need to conserve fuel, which they might burn faster if they go quicker.

5. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    But Hux changes that view with the information he's given and later relishes the destruction of the out of fuel ships.

And on the ship speed, they aren't identical. The Resistance ships can go faster and they use that to get out from the initial fire barrage and into range. They then stay at the range by matching speed. No sense in going any faster and presumably burning fuel at a higher rate, they can't go anywhere with that speed.

edit - also, it seems that the transports are called U-55 loadlifters. They sound like bargain-basement stuff the Resistance just picked up along the way from some scrapyard and converted for use, no wonder they're so rubbish.

Satipo likes this.
  6. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Hubris and sadism is a bad combo.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Is there any source of info explaining who those other Star Destroyers are elsewhere "engaged" with?

8. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    The opening crawl states that the legions of the FO have been deployed to take control of the galaxy. Later Rey reiterates that they're involved in operations that will eventually conquer everything within a few weeks.

But no, sorry, no information on precisely who.

Ricardo Funes and Satipo like this.
  9. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Presumably they were busy subjugating the core systems. Rey told Luke they were doing that, and would have control in weeks.

Satipo likes this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That answer was sufficient. It wasn't engagement in the conflict sense but more of being preoccupied with doing horrid things to distant systems.

11. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    Considering that the Supremacy has a fleet of Star Destroyers behind it, I wonder why can't they have the fleet coordinate an attack from all sides on the Raddus. They know where the Raddus. It's out in open space. They have a few Star Destroyers light speed ahead of the cruiser to cut them off in a future path or call in reinforcements to ambush them on the front.

Instead, the fleet of Star Destroyers ends up being destroyed during the Hyperspace Kamikaze.

Sarge, NexuLeader and godisawesome like this.
  12. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah, I guess they're locking things down.

13. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    The main sticking point I had with this part of the film was about Holdo's hyperspace destruction of Snoke's ship. If she can program the Raddus to hyperspace jump into the Mega Star Destroyer, and thereby destroy it, why is something that we haven't seen weaponized before? Is this very difficult to do, or are there typically safeguards against it? Holdo was the only one on the Raddus at the time, and the destruction on the FO side was considerably more significant than for the Resistance.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  14. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Apologies in advance, guys, but you know I was going to be a Debbie Downer on this. Plus, I think there already was a thread broadly covering this plot element...
    1. It *should* be because Poe's previous insubordination makes sharing the information with him a bad move, but it should also, I think, be portrayed as one of the Vice Admiral's flaws that she can't offer either an adequate briefing to her crew about their objectives or why she can's share them, such as possible security leaks, because she struggles with some of the more administrative elements fo command. She has a justified reason for excluding Poe from command decisions; she does *not* have one for failing to brief anyone else in the wake of major command deaths, or for repeatedly reprimanding an insubordinate officer but not having him taken into custody on the brig.

In truth, I think she *was* badly written; I feel it's clear the objectives the script had for her was for her t be an antagonist to Poe in the first half, with the audience siding with him due to the characterization in the script, only to be revealed as a reasonable authority figure once Poe has gone far afield, with her managing to rescue the remaining Resistance when he screws most of them over. The issue is that the way she's written early on does not jive with her portrayal at the end. In order to make the audience side with Poe, she's written as a Neidermeyer-type commander, taking charge but failing to acknowledge the necessary political and moral requirements of a briefing for the crew, and then dressing down but leaving alone an experienced asset who, if she thinks he's dangerous, should be contained, or, if she thinks he's useful, should be employed to further their goals. She then fails to discipline him for even more insubordinate actions later on which lead directly to an attempted mutiny, for which she for some reason doesn't feel he should be punished for. The character was written to get specific audience reactions first, and barely at all for logical military thinking.

2. The only adequate explanation in the film is that Hux, at his most arrogant and moronic, is playing it safe once his capital ships can't cover the fighters.

But again, I think it's bad writing. The rest of his scenes pretty heavily show him as a itching to quickly kill the Resistance as soon as possible, and considering the number of fighters even average Star Destroyers have, there's no real reason they couldn't provide their own cover through sheer force of numbers, or that the FO lacks a smaller, quick support ship that would be safe from the lack of fighters thanks to Kylo. By all rights, the Resistance should have been swarmed by hundreds of fighters running interference for more SF fighters to take out the engines on the ships.

3. *These* transports did not.

I actually don't find this as *bad* writing, just massively underwhelming, considering identical ships have been portrayed as hyperdrive-equipped and deplorable *in battle*, so it's irritating that the Resistnace apparently can't even get cheap Un-armed but armored surplus ships.

4. I actually don't mind the difficult in contacting allies; Star Wars has always insisted on a very broad and inconsistent communications situation, what with Vader having to exit the asteroid field to speak with Palpatine. Plus, I can easily believe their goal is to both reach everyone, and possible have a confidential discussion if possible, so they need grounded and encrypted equipment.

...Buuuuuuut I still find the lack of responses from any ally, and the implicit realization that no political entity wants to fight the FO, as absolutely ludicrous. Whole planets and systems have reasons to violently react to the mere admitted *existence* of an Imperial successor state like the First Order, let alone be compelled to resista against a government almost certain to commit genocide or species-wide enslavement on them. And an easier answer was clearly skipped over; planets and systems won't risk valuable fleet material to our esque a few hundred people from an armada. Boom.

5. Because they had no intention of going to Crait immediately.

This, I'm fine with...

... Save for why Leia and Holdo's plan should be considered a brilliant con move when even an idiot First Order officer would see a fleet making a b-line for a planet over several hours and think "huh, is that where they're going?" Even with the Raddus hyper-spacing away as the plan has, it feel like basic tactical and strategic thinking would say the Resistance understands they can't get away and feels better seeking shelter than drifting without help in space. So there's no real reason this plan should ever work, aside from some quick hand-waving about cloaking, which is then also hand-waved away off screen moments later, with neither hand-wave offering an answer for why the FO can't just look out their windows or use camera technology to see the ships flying by, since no visual component of the cloaking is ever hinted at.

I mean, I'm the guy who thinks it's the sloppiest written section of the story. It doesn't have plot holes per se, it just counts on all the bad guys and heroes being significantly less intelligent than in TFA, where Hix would have probably swarmed the Resistamce fleet with thousands of fighters the second they couldn't get away, and the story would have ended in five minutes.

15. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002

This is my take as well. While she may not have been willing to tell him the entire plan she could have wanted to speak to him to tell him that there was a plan and that for security reasons, and risk, it's staying classified to senior leadership only.

The reasons for why she didn't then and there was because there were so many others around and the plan was on a need to know basis.

As the GodisAwesome just posted though, I think part of it is meant to reflect the same kind of thing we saw with leadership in RO. The Resistance leadership is capable of making mistakes too and isn't necessarily textbook because they probably can't afford to be. Instinct and creative thinking have in many cases lead them to surprise victories over the more textbook approach of the FO, or prior to that the Empire. They were all raised in that environment and lived in it so try as they might to institute traditional chain of command and function somewhat traditionally... at their core they're still rebels.

EDIT:
    There have been aspects of these questions in the stickied FAQ and Character Motivation thread up at the top of the forum here:
    [/B]
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/ep-viii-faq-on-character-and-plot.50047587/

Q: The First Order are incapable of catching up to the Resistance ships unless at hyperspace. Why are some ships slower?

A: If you want to apply real physics to this you need to do it properly. If we look at this realistically, a starship's sub-light engines are going to continue to accelerate the ship. That's how vessels, or any object that is propelled by a powered source will behave in space. When the Rebel ships run out of fuel they will continue moving under their own inertia. However, without the engines they will not be accelerating at the same pace. The FO ships, still with their engines at full capacity will be. Therefore they'll catch up & overrun them. Visually, on diagrams this will make it appear as though the Resistance ships have stopped but really it’s just that the FO ships have gained on them in speed. The Resistance got the jump on them, achieved a "safe" distance, which was growing, but as fuel ran out on certain ships the FO’s ships continued to accelerate and catch up to them and were able to destroy those ships.

Q: Why didn’t the FO send out all of their faster TIEs to fight the Raddus? Most Star Wars battles before this involved only fighters.

A: Not really. Even back in ANH the TIE was referred to as a short range fighter. The FO saw no point in risking fighters that would be operating outside of their capital ship's effective firing range. In other words, their policy is a combination of fighters & heavy bombardment. Not just fighters alone against large vessels. The FO saw themselves in a no-lose situation. Victory seemed assured & no losses would be suffered in less than a day if they simply stuck to their plan and were patient. They had to reason to believe they would not be victorious and were taking out Resistance ships through patience after initially being aggressive and losing a Dreadnought and all the people on it. Assets are not to be wasted unless absolutely necessary and the FO, under Snoke, was driven more by protocol than Resistance-like instinct. They felt they had the Resistance on a string.

The Last Jedi seems intent to incorporate more naval strategy into its warfare logistics with some considerations related to efficiency of shooting range, and some crafts being larger and less mobile than others. Re-fueling and cover for Tie Fighters is also explored more in depth than in some of the other Saga films. These considerations remind of some of the logistics that occurred during naval warfare in WWII, including those in the Pacific Theatre. Operations such as Operation Ke, which involved the evacuation of 10,000 people on naval ships comes to mind. There, Japan’s tactics successfully baffled US military minds who failed to recognize some of the evacuations that had been occurring through a series of distractions. The Battle of Coral Sea, where the fight was mostly relegated to the smaller ships, limiting the power of each side’s larger vessels and staying out of successful weapon’s range. Design supervisor for “The Last Jedi”, Kevin Jenkins, has also gone on record stating that the Dreadnought was inspired by a variety of sources but most notably the Japanese battleship Yamoto.

The inspirations from war on earth extend into the air, too. Some military historians have likened the opening Poe Dameron sequence as a combination of the surprise, preventative, and controversial attack of Operation Opera as well as Operation Bolo.

Q: Why didn’t the First Order or even the Empire earlier track ships in hyperspace? Seems like a game-changer in war.

A: It is a game-changer and Rouge One revealed that the Empire had been investigating this concept for decades. Mid-war tech advance is not uncommon and the First Order seemingly decided to be beta test this technology in the here and now, much to Hux and Snoke’s delight.

JYN: Hyperspace Tracking, Navigational Systems.
    K2-SO: Two screens down. Structural Engineering, open that one!
    JYN: Project code names: Stellarsphere. Mark Omega. Pax Aurora. War-Mantle. Cluster-Prism. Black-Saber.
    CASSIAN: What?
    JYN ERSO: Stardust. That's it.
    CASSIAN: How do you know that?
    JYN ERSO: I know because it's me

Q: Why hasn’t Kamikaze been part of Rebel or Resistance warfare before?

A: It has in canon. Just not on this scale. Kamikaze is also part of modern warfare on Earth and in any war there are always new techniques utilized that will be studied and analyzed by future military strategists in the future. Essentially, there’s a first for everything. It’s a final stand decision that sacrifices considerable resources and leaves the ship vulnerable to counter-attack or escape.

16. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    EDIT: Double post. Sorry Mods. :-( Edited it into above post.

17. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    No doubt Poe was out of line a lot, but to pretend that Holdo handled everything perfectly is also a little crazy.

She may not have fine tuned her plan at the start. Fine. But after that, she had numerous opportunities to tell him that she at least did have a plan. When you see a subordinate of yours throwing fits and causing an uproar because they want to know what the plan is, it might be smart to sit them down and explain to them the PLAN. Even if Poe disagreed with the plan, perhaps his anger wouldn't have been escalated to sky-high levels yet, and Holdo and Poe could simply work it out. By not telling him, ever, she allowed his anger and opposition to continue rising to the point of starting a mutiny.

Holdo was great at being a strategic, calm, and collected decision-maker. She was not a great communicator or team player, however.

Sarge and godisawesome like this.
  18. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeeaaa...No.

Ender_and_Bean likes this.
  19. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    That's ok, you wouldn't make the best leader then, either. Part of being an effective leader is communicating, even with those who make it tough to do so. Holdo lacked a little in that category.

Sarge and Shadao like this.
  20. NexuLeader

NexuLeader Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 18, 2017
    It's fine if Holdo didn't want to tell Poe "the plan is we gonna fuel up these transports and hit up an old rebel base on crait, which is the exact distance we will reach when the fuel runs out."

It's weird that she wouldn't even give a direct response when Poe just wanted to know whether there was even a plan or not. She just started berating him. Lol.

This whole plot felt like a filler Clone Wars episode.

Sarge, MrElculver2424 and Shadao like this.
  21. Solo88

Solo88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2018
    The Resistance had enough fuel for one more jump to light speed. Why didn't they light speed to a Republic friendly planet? Surly, that would be a better option than going to Crait where no one is there to aid them. Don't tell me every single Republic planet is now under the control of the First Order. The Last Jedi takes place days if not hours after The Force Awakens.

That would be like ISIS destroying Washington D.C. Yes, the capitol and all its politicians are dead, but that doesn't they are now in control of the whole country. Surly, the rest of the country would band together its resources and police force to combat ISIS.

ChildOfWinds and Shadao like this.
  22. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Good lord...It pains me when condescension is paired with cluelessness.

I'm not going to list my leadership credentials, but understand that there are no universal rules for being an effective leader. It is most certainly not the case that sharing info with anyone that demands it or throws a fit makes for a good leader. Communication for the sake of communication is not the same thing as purposeful and strategic communication.

Some things are, as Poe would say, need-to-know...And reckless, trigger happy flyboys don't always need to know.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  23. Sigismund

Sigismund Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 16, 2018
    that makes no sense, there are like 5 or 6 Star Destroyers behind the supremacy doing nothing but following

NexuLeader likes this.
  24. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Ok but I found it a bit anti-climatic when after he called her coward and traitor we see them normally talking again. That should have been the boiling point.

25. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    1) Because he was just a Captain, he was demoted. There may be several Captains in the First Order, and none of them, except Poe, was there bothering Holdo. You will never see an Admiral sharing classified tactical and strategical information with lower ranked officials. They just need to know details specific to an individual task, when this task is assigned to them.

2) We as audience have privileged information that Hux did not have. The Resistance knew the transports were unarmed. The First Order didn't.

3) No.

4) It was very easy to contact the allies. The problem is that nobody answered. This happened because the First Order caused fear in the galaxy after destroying the Hosnian system.

5) They wanted to sneak and let the First Order thinking they were still inside the Raddus. A lightspeed jump would be tracked.